Guide to the Alcaster quest chain "Ancient book of secrets"

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Sila, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    This is a guide I whipped up for the really long quest chain, "Alcaster and the Book of ancients". I can't think of a better title!
    So many people end up asking "How do you buy summon rocks?" and they don't know how to do the quest or just how much is involved in it.

Because of how much I actually enjoy doing quests (especially quest chains), I decided to help out and make a guide for it to hopefully help others too.

Upon completing the quest chain, you can buy summoning and magic rocks for 5k each from Alcaster, and all cures for 400 mesos each.

Introduction:
    The prerequisites for this quest are you: must be level 55 to start Book of Ancients, and level 60 for the Dark Crystal quest.
    No other quest needs to have been completed before hand.

Required items:
    I recommend keeping several Orbis tower scrolls on hand, as well as a lot of patience.
    In total, by the end of the quest, you'll need to have all of these items:
    • Star Pixie's Starpiece x 100
    • Lunar Pixie's Moonpiece x 50
    • Luster Pixie's Sunpiece x 30
    • Hector's Tail x 80
    • White Fang Tail x 80
    • Power Crystal x 2
    • Wisdom Crystal x 2
    • DEX Crystal x 2
    • LUK Crystal x 2
    • Werewolf's Toenail x 3
    • Dark Crystal x 1
    • Star rock x1
    --------
    Tips and tricks:
    -You can use Nearest Town scrolls in the orbis tower to avoid going through it all
    ---Using one between floors 20 and 8 (inclusive) will warp you to Orbis.
    ---Using one between floors 7 and 1 (inclusive) will warp you to El Nath.
    -Going to FM and back out will bring you to the top of that floor.
    -----------
    Onto the actual quest:
    Find Alcaster in El Nath Market and accept the quest "The Descendent of the Author of the Book of Ancient".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After accepting it, go back to Orbis and find Elma the Housekeeper in Orbis: Orbis Park.
    (There's two ways to get to Orbis from El nath. Either climb the tower if you don't have tower scrolls, or go through Aqua, take the Dolphin to Herb town, and then take Hak the crane to Mu Lung- then take the crane again to Orbis. Your choice!)

Once you talk to Elma, she'll mention that someone named Hella has gone missing. You're presented with a few different options to choose from:
    [​IMG]
    Choose the second one, "Did Hella have any close friends?" and she'll suddenly remember that Jade from El nath was a good friend of her, and now you have to go talk to him.

Head back to El Nath and talk to Jade again.
    [​IMG]
    After talking to him, he tells you to give up on the quest of finding his friend, and then he says that if you won't give up, then you should talk to Elma about a keepsake his friend had from her childhood.

Go back to Elma in Orbis Park again.
    [​IMG]
    Here, Elma tells you that Hella mentioned something about an old lady, but that she doesn't have any clue who this old lady is. She tells you to go back to Jade- that maybe Jade will have a clue.

Go back to Jade in El Nath.
    [​IMG]
    Upon returning to Jade, he tells you the only "old lady" he knows is Spiruna.
    That's your clue to go find Spiruna who is located in Old Man's House, in Orbis: Cloud Park IV.

[​IMG]
    She'll keep talking to you, until she finally tells you she needs you to find her Black Crystal.

After talking to Spiruna, head over to El Nath: Ice Valley I and click on the Rock Covered in Snow.
    (The quickest way to Ice Valley I from El nath is to take the VIP Taxi and go down 1 map)
    [​IMG]
    Here you find the Cracked black crystal, which you need to give to Spiruna.

Head back to Orbis and find Spiruna in Old Man's house again.
    [​IMG]
    Upon giving Spiruna the cracked black crystal, she basically flips out on you - and then you have to talk to her assistant (who is unnamed).
    [​IMG]
    She'll tell you the only way to restore the crystal is with Fairy Dust, and you need to talk to Kriel the Fairy to get it.

Go back to Orbis and go into the potions shop to talk with Kriel.

Talking to her and she'll give you three different options to choose as your response.
    [​IMG]
    Select the third option, "I need fairy dust"
    She'll tell you that you need to collect:
    Star Pixie's Starpiece x 100
    Lunar Pixie's Moonpiece x 50
    Luster Pixie's Sunpiece x 30

[​IMG]
    After you collect all the pieces you need, return to Spiruna once more and talk to her again.

When you give her the fairy dust, she'll give you a random scroll (One of four different defense scrolls) and you'll be able to start the next part of the quest.
    [​IMG]

From there, you talk to her assistant- who turns out to be the girl who's been missing all along.
    [​IMG]

She'll give you a pendant and then ask you to bring it to Jade- so back to El Nath we go.
    [​IMG]

Talking to Jade will give you one out of 4 scrolls, and then continue on with the next part of the quest. This part hints at you needing to go into the valley of the snowman.
    [​IMG]

You need to go to El Nath: Wolf Territory I and click on the Small tomb.
    (easiest way to Wolf Territory I is take VIP taxi, enter dungeon, and keep walking up. Also, its a good idea to collect your 3 needed werewolf toenails while you're up here, as well as the hector and white pang tails)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You'll get an old ring from the Tomb, which you need to bring back to Alcaster.

Once you arrive back in El Nath and talk to Alcaster, he'll tell you to go find Scadur. He's in the main section of town.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He's going to ask you to make a deal with him, and he'll ask for 100 hector tails and 100 white fang tails.
    In return for the tails, he'll tell you "everything he knows",.

[​IMG]
    Once you turn in the tails, he'll tell you to go to the four wisemen in victoria island. This is the four job instructors for each class, but first you go to Perion and meet Dances with Balrog.

He'll ask you for 2 (refined) power crystals, and then instruct you to go see Grendel.
    [​IMG]

Same thing as with Dances with Balrog - talk to him, give him the 2 wisdom crystals, and then he'll instruct you to go to Henesys next.
    [​IMG]

Go to Henesys park and then find the Bowman instructor, and talk to her.
    [​IMG]
    She'll ask you for 2 Dex Crystals and then tell you to find the Wiseman in kerning City.

You'll need to go to the Thieve's hideout and talk to the Thief job instructor there.
    [​IMG]
    Just like the previous instructors, he'll ask you for 2 Luk crystals.
    After that, he'll give you the last piece of the map and instruct you to visit Alcaster once more.

Back to El nath, again!

Once you get back to El Nath and meet Alcaster, he tells you to go back to Orbis and find Corporal Easy, who is supposed to be able to help restore the map pieces.
    [​IMG]
    You can find Corporal Easy in Orbis: Cloud Park VI

[​IMG]
    Corporal easy is going to ask you for 3 werewolf toenails in exchange for the memory powder.
    Once you have obtained the memory powder, it's time to return to Alcaster once more.

Alcaster will take the memory powder, and after doing a spell he's able to put the map together and read it. It tells you that the Book is located in Orbis tower. We need to head back up the Orbis tower now!

Go to Orbis: Orbis Tower <8th Floor> and inspect the Statue.
    [​IMG]
    Once you inspect the tower, keep 'talking' to it and you'll use the Old ring we got earlier- this will allow you to take the Book of Ancient, and then you need to return back to Alcaster once more.

Return the Book of Ancient to him, and then start the next quest. You'll need one Dark Crystal and one Star Rock to complete this quest.
    (To make a Star rock you need to Synthesize 1 Garnet, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Emerald, Opal, Sapphire, Topaz, Diamond, Black Crystal - and 15,000 mesos. Take it to Arwen the Fairy in Ellinia or Pi the refining Expert in Ludi)

Once you turn that in, you're done! Talking to Alcaster from here on out will allow you to buy any of these things from him:
    [​IMG]
    Congrats! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2021
    Damien., MrMikiMiki, Lion and 44 others like this.
  2. reckerr

reckerr Member

Level:
    Great effort. Thanks

3. Saxa

Saxa Donator

IGN:
    Saxa
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, Sila, you know I love you, but Hidden-Street already has a guide...

Guide to Alcaster's "In Search of the Book of Ancient"

But as a protip: You can use Nearest Town scrolls in the orbis tower to avoid going through the whole damn thing.

Using one between floors 20 and 8 (inclusive) will warp you to Orbis.
    Using one between floors 7 and 1 (inclusive) will warp you to El Nath.

In addition, if you're too lazy to climb those 7 floors up Orbis tower, to get back to Orbis from El Nath you can always (this is mentioned in OP, but in the fine print so I'm putting it out here)

>Go further down the Orbis tower,
    >Use a nearest town scroll once you're on Aqua Road,
    >Talk to the Dolphin at Aquarium in Aqua Road
    >Select the option to be warped to Herb Town
    >Talk to Hak and select the option to be warped to Mu Lung
    >Talk to Hak once again and select the option to be warped to Orbis.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Shmacked, MoriForest and reckerr like this.
  4. Jayelia

Jayelia Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    PIuisje
    Level:
    16X
    U forgot step 1 give up on life

5. tan_wei_ren

tan_wei_ren Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    maggiemee
    Level:
    Guild:
    Guardians
    Oh you wrote 100 instead of 80 tails in your spoiler!

Fangarang and Virtumonde like this.
  6. tan_wei_ren

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    maggiemee
    Level:
    Guild:
    Guardians
    Oh I checked, it's supposed to be 100, not 80 :p

Virtumonde likes this.
  7. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Technically there's guides for everything scattered everywhere. How to build x class, how to do y quest. But not everyone knows where to look, and not everyone thinks to check hidden street or other sites.
    Plus it doesn't hurt to have a guide here on our forums for it anyway. It was fun to make and only took an extra 5 minutes max per step.
    I'll add in the tip about town scrolls, I use them like crazy myself lol

megaforever, Tidy, Mochas and 4 others like this.
  8. tan_wei_ren

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    maggiemee
    Level:
    Guild:
    Guardians
    Just found a cheap trick: warping to fm and then back to the orbis tower will bring you to the top of the floor!

Sila likes this.
  9. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Thanks, fixed! Must've been an oversight on my part.
    Also added a tips & tricks section with the key bit about Orbis tower & town scrolls, because we all know the orbis tower is the most annoying part of the quest :p

Virtumonde likes this.
  10. pokemon1188

pokemon1188 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Mudkipz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    You should add how The Ellinia Jumpquest from Sabitrama can also give a Star Rock :)
    I was so pissed...@____@ Took me a whole hour. Stupid monkeys, trying to defy the superior Mudkipz, got dc'd once when I was jumping my 2nd last step, but it's k now that I got it ;)

11. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Bump to put it back on front page~

12. Stan

Stan Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SgtYellow
    Level:
    15x
    Guild:
    Nipple
    I knew there was a reason I didn't npc my ores. (Apart from the fact that they're shiny and I like shiny)

iCross likes this.
  13. changsta_g

changsta_g Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Osmosus
    Level:
    Guild:
    Improv
    Great guide! Sorry for the bump.

What do you do with the leftover quest items in your inventory after finishing? As in the Cracked Black Crystal, Old Ring, and Old Piece of Map. Can they just be dropped?

14. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Yeah they can just be dropped, it's just a bug which makes them stay after they're used.

changsta_g likes this.
  15. Cindy

Cindy Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Catilin
    Level:
    Guild:
    Unity
    If you have a door mule, it makes this quest 100x easier
    Just camp them on the 7th/8th floor and its cake

16. yappy111

yappy111 Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Yappy
    Guild:
    Radio
    Orbis Rock Scrolls for lyfe~

I was so glad I decided to go to the Huckle Daily prior a bunch when I found out about this quest. XP

17. SomnPlays

SomnPlays Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Weightless
    Guild:
    Mutiny
    Apologies for the grave digging of a post here...But the tip of parking a Door Mule on floor 7/8 really makes this quest fly by a lot more quickly.

Also for some reason I have 2 Old Rings and 6 Old Pieces of Map left over after finishing the quest chain. Odd...

18. yappy111

yappy111 Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Yappy
    Guild:
    Radio
    I think that's just maple being maple, sometimes when you need to turn in quest related items they aren't removed from your inventory after doing so. :p

19. Sheik

Sheik Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Vaivode
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    This guide literally saved my life. Thanks so much for writing! One thing to add for anyone thinking about attempting: I would get the star rock FIRST. It was frustrating being so close to done yet spending 20 minutes running around asking people for ores, checking mules, etc. But it was very worth it in the end, if not for the Alcaster shop, at least for the satisfaction.

Showbiz and Sila like this.
  20. Showbiz

Showbiz Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Showbiz
    Level:
    13x
    Well done ! I find this guide to be very helpful and organized. It would be really nice if you added for what classes it is necessary to do the quest chain.