Solved [Solution Given] M1 MacBook Air Crossover x MapleRoyals Tutorial

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by pinkchocoa, Dec 27, 2022.

1. pinkchocoa

pinkchocoa Donator

IGN:
    akaichi
    Guide works for Macbook Air M1 & M2 (including Ventura), Macbook Pro M1, and Macbook Intels.

I just realised theres a forum section for guides, but it seems to be gameplay-related guides, so ill leave this here, let me know if I should post it there instead.

Another MacBook tutorial because the deleted thread by certain someone is harder to find now.

I am using MacBook Air M1 on Ventura, I've tested this on both v13.0 and v13.1.
    [​IMG]

if you’re using MacBook M1 pro, M2 air/pro, M3 air/pro you need to use betterdisplay with this guide (open “BetterDisplay” spoiler tag at end of this post)

1. Download crossover https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover/download
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2. Open crossover (do move it to applications folder)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. Install latest mapleroyals IMG set up https://royals.ms/?page=download (WZ works too, so try that if IMG fails you)

4. Click on “Install an unlisted application” on the top right, select the IMG setup and Windows XP 32 bit, and click “Install” on the top right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    5. Mapleroyals installation will pop up, install it as you would normally on windows. Do not launch it yet upon completion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6. In crossover, turn off CSMT in the settings
    before:
    [​IMG]
    after:
    [​IMG]
    7. Launch mapleroyals from "home" in crossover! (double-click it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The game does seems more unstable the more mouse/trackpad usage you use based off my experience, so try to use the keyboard only as much as you can - this includes choosing the channels to login, using "return" key rather than clicking the login button via the mouse, etc.

Troubleshooting

try entering your PIC v v slowly, like 10s between each input click

if that still doesnt work... then
    This always happens on every alternate client I open btw, I just kill every second client upon opening via activity monitor.
    1. Force quit the application via activity monitor and try again. Also try logging into a less popular channel and not channel 1.
    2. Restart your macbook and try again
    If it still does not work...
    Repeat from step 4 onwards, but try WZ set up, windows 7 32 bit or windows 8 32 bit, or stick with windows XP 32 bit. You can also try windows 10 64 bit. Usually reinstalling it with a settings that worked before will do it.

If it freezes when inputting the PIC, don't click 'enter' on the on-screen keyboard but press enter on your physical keyboard instead. This sounds stupid, but it works. ~ @Buttback
    You need to re-client from time to time, watch MapleRoyal's memory usage with activity monitor.
    This mainly happened during xmas 2022 event, should no longer be happening.
    Another forum thread on macbook pro resolution issues: https://royals.ms/forum/threads/m1-macbook-pro-unable-to-run-newest-update-1-18-23.213196/

Couple of solutions listed below:
    M1 Mac Book pro 16" with MacOS Ventura courtesy of @daanishb94:
    The ONLY way to get around the -2xxxxxx error is to plug your MacBook into a separate monitor. Then maple royals works just fine!! Im also using the latest version of crossover.

- you can also use betterdisplay instead of a separate monitor (open the spoiler tag on betterdisplay)
    - if you were to use an external monitor, you might need to set the external monitor refresh rate to 60hz

M1 Macbook Pro with Big Sur (courtesy of @Plagiarism):
    If you want to try to play Royals on an M1 Macbook Pro, your best bet is to downgrade to iOS Big Sur (do note that not all M1 Macbooks can downgrade to Big Sur as it depends on the iOS your computer had when you purchased it).
    It will require you to wipe your laptop and have an external hard disk to install the Big Sur iOS onto. So, make sure you back everything up before starting the process.

Tutorial link to downgrade your OS version.
    - i don't recommend doing this one, if you are attempting, make sure you know what you are doing and backup first!!
    courtesy of @BeeeeeMo, @Vafan
    - try setting your screen to 1920x1080 60hz with external software (e.g. BetterDisplay)
    - connect an external screen with 1920x1080 **60hz**, the refresh rate is impt here.
    - otherwise try 1024x768 60hz
    - also open the spoiler tag on betterdisplay
    • **keep the refresh rate for the betterdisplay at 60hz**
    • the betterdisplay UI has since changed, but the UI elements are largely the same
    • Below are the steps on how to use BetterDisplay, courtesy of CopiumSmuggler on royals discord @Frysta
      setup as Virtual 16:12 with the resolution set to 1,024x768
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • The locked "Pro" settings are available under the trial and stay there when it runs out, you just can't edit them anymore.
    • I don't have it associated with the real display since I don't want it automatically taking over
    • Under the Menu section of the App I make sure to have "Show app icon in menu bar" which allows you to easily toggle the display from normal to the virtual
    • This is what the menu bar icon/menu looks like, the toggle there changes to the virtual
    [​IMG]
    My flow is always to launch Crossover and have it centered on my screen but not have it fullscreen and then toggle the Virtual display. That opens makes it so Crossover is the only thing that is visible. You may need to resize the Crossover app before switching to the Virtual if it's taking up too much of the screen since the Royals app won't be visible to launch
    upload_2023-7-9_4-15-21.png
    • click "Connect" in the popup right after
    • in the menubar menu, under "Dummy 16:12", drag the bottom slider to set it to 1024x768
    upload_2023-7-9_4-15-26.png
    • you essentially have a virtual 1024x768 monitor connected to your macbook now.
    • whenever you want to launch the game, first go to the BetterDisplay menu and choose "Set as Main Display" under the dummy
    upload_2023-7-9_4-15-31.png
    • open Crossover and launch Royals, then wait 10 seconds or so for it to launch
    • open System Settings, go to Displays, then set the built-in display to "Main display"
    upload_2023-7-9_4-15-42.png
    • Royals should be open
    • Download PlistEdit Pro or visual studios code with a plist binary file extension installed.
    • Press Command + Shift + G and type: ~/Library/Preferences
    • Open "com.codeweavers.CrossOver.plist" with PlistEdit.
    • Change "FirstRunDate" to sometime in the wayyy future, then save it.
    • (optional) Would recommend you to lock the file to prevent the system or crossover software from reverting it
    • Do support crossover by buying the license if you end up liking it :o
    if you are unable to bypass the trial date, can consider: https://royals.ms/forum/threads/macbook-x-wineskin-winery.231186/
    1. Click on the bottle on the left navigation bar in crossover
    2. Click on "Run Command"
    3. Type "explorer.exe" and run
    4. By default, royals will be installed under Desktop > My Computer > drive_c (C: ) > MapleRoyals
    5. Copy the DLL downloaded on your macbook > Paste in MapleRoyals folder
    including the following in your comment
    1. your MacBook model (Air M1, Air M2, Pro M1, Intel, etc)
    2. your OS version (Big Sur, Venturra, etc)
    3. your display resolution + hz of betterdisplay or external monitor (not needed for m1 air, needed for m2 air, m1 pro, m2 pro)
    4. steps you have taken (if you managed to install royals but unable to launch/play, please include details for bottle OS, bottle settings, and img/wz royals installation)
    5. step it failed at / description of failure

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
    McPew, chainyu0220, Ghosty and 5 others like this.
  2. Vafan

Vafan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Can't get it to work on my Macbook pro 14 m1 pro sadly. Tried with your Bottle also. :(

3. pinkchocoa

pinkchocoa Donator

IGN:
    akaichi
    does it launch at all?

4. Vafan

Vafan Active Member

Country Flag:
    No, does not launch at all. When i run it by double clicking in home it dies after 5 secs, no error or anything.

When i run it from the explorer i get this error.

upload_2023-1-3_20-28-17.png

yinz likes this.
  5. pinkchocoa

pinkchocoa Donator

IGN:
    akaichi
    Could try some basic troubleshooting steps

0. Restart your Macbook in between tries to make sure

1. Make sure that crossover is allowed
    Open "System Preferences" > "Security & Privacy" > "Privacy" >
    "Full Disk Access" > Add Crossover using the + icon​

2. Make sure you don't have an anti-virus, if you do follow these steps: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/bitdefender

If you are on beta OS, see

6. Vafan

Vafan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Tried restarting between tries (no luck), crossover already have full disk access and i don't have an antivirus. I'm running macOS Ventura 13.0 btw. I could try and update to 13.1.

7. yinz

yinz Member

not work for me.

Mac 13.1 (22C65)
    CrossOver 22.0.1

8. pinkchocoa

pinkchocoa Donator

IGN:
    akaichi
    Macbook Pro M1?

so far it works on Macbook Air M1 and Macbook Intel versions

9. stellalala

stellalala Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    stellalala
    Just chiming in to say that I tried this on my Macbook Pro M1 and it also doesn't work :'(

After it installs, the app shows up in my doc for 5 seconds before it automatically closes. I don't actually see any windows associated with MapleRoyals pop up.

I'm on Mac 13.1 and CrossOver 22.0.1.

10. Plagiarism

Plagiarism Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    hypebeast
    Level:
    18x
    Wrote about this in another thread but wanted to put the info here so it's more consolidated.
    By testing on my M1 Macbook Pro, I anecdotally found that Royals doesn't work on Crossover if you're running iOS Ventura or iOS Monterey. If you want to try to play Royals on an M1 Macbook Pro, your best bet is to downgrade to iOS Big Sur (do note that not all M1 Macbooks can downgrade to Big Sur as it depends on the iOS your computer had when you purchased it). The quote below includes the youtube video I followed along to in order to downgrade my computer from iOS Ventura to iOS Big Sur

link to thread i was talking about https://royals.ms/forum/threads/royals-playable-on-m1-mac.201135/page-3

Do note that this method has worked for me for months but is not working for the most recent patch (Jan. 18 2023). That being said, it also seems that no method is currently working for M1 Macs.

pinkchocoa likes this.
  11. Plagiarism

Plagiarism Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    hypebeast
    Level:
    18x

12. pinkchocoa

pinkchocoa Donator

IGN:
    akaichi
    @Plagiarism thats good to know! Newest OS does work for macbook air m1, though we need to wait for an update for it to work again for any mac for the most recent patch (Jan. 18 2023) as you said
    for people that just stumbled across this guide and dc a couple of seconds after logging on - you gotta wait for the next patch

@Vafan @yinz @stellalala regarding M1 Macbook Pro

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  13. RoyalAJ

RoyalAJ Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    BigBoosy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Akatuski
    Guide was very clear and straightforward. Got it to work on my end using WZ files (M1 MacBook Air). Thank you!

14. RiceAddict

RiceAddict Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    RiceAddict
    Level:
    Up
    Guild:
    Lubs
    @RoyalAJ are you able to stay logged in without getting kicked within 10-20 seconds? I’m just wondering cause I’m also on an M1 Macbook Air running Ventura but keep getting dced.

15. RoyalAJ

RoyalAJ Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    BigBoosy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Akatuski
    After installing the new update for Jan 18th. I installed it the same way as the guide and yes I kept DC’ing. I tried reinstalling with IMG files and WZ files both don’t work. I also tried windows 7 32 bit, Windows 8 32bit and windows XP 32 bit it still doesn’t work now I DC about 1-2mins in after logging in.

16. BeeeeeMo

BeeeeeMo Member

You can try setting your screen to 1920x1080 60hz
    It works for me

My approach is to connect an external screen, because the macbook screen resolution is very high, if there is no HiDPI, the use of 1920x1080 will become blurred

17. Vafan

Vafan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Are you using BetterDisplay for changing resolution?

18. BeeeeeMo

BeeeeeMo Member

Yes

19. Vafan

Vafan Active Member

Country Flag:
    It did not work for me. What i did was creating a custom resolution (1920 x 1080 60hz) in BetterDisplay. Do you have a MB pro M1 pro running macOS Ventura?

20. BeeeeeMo

BeeeeeMo Member

Sorry, I am not tested on BetterDisplay monitor, i tested on my another monitor, that settings is 1920x1080 60hz
    maybe you can try on native 1920x1080 60hz

I suppose change screen resolution can fix this problem, refer to this thread https://royals.ms/forum/threads/error-code-2147467259-found-the-solution.90276/

I am using M2 Macbook Air on macOS Ventura 13.1