Alyssaur's Kind of Unnecessary Compilation of Unusual Builds

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Alyssaur, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Alyssaur

Alyssaur Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Alyssaur
    Level:
    14x
    Guild:
    Goomba
    Alyssaur's Kind of Unnecessary Compilation of Unusual Builds [​IMG]
    Here is a list compiling all of the known experimental builds along with a small description of the class. I thought it'd be fun keep track of these just in case you want to try something different. Keep in mind that these builds are meant to be dysfunctional in a fun way, so just mess around and don't expect too much from them! Also, please make an informative post below if you discover a unique build that it can be added to the list.

[​IMG] Tutorial Classes
    Camper: Campers are a tutorial sub-class of Beginners. They stay in one map on Maple Island and train on Tutorial Sentinels, which only give 3 EXP per kill. For more information, check out the Camper Community Guide & Ranks. Warning: Not yet available in MapleRoyals!

Islander: Islanders are a tutorial sub-class of Beginners. These players are permanent residents of Maple Island and only train on the low-level monsters that spawn there. For more information on training and builds, please consult the Islander Community Guide & Ranks.

Beginner: The original Permanent Beginner. These jobless characters offer very few advantages. They are weak, they can't get class specific riding mounts, and the challenge is virtually non-existent with the prevalence of leech in this server. However, you will never lose EXP upon death and can equip Beginner-only Tuna and Maroon Mop, so that's a thing...

[​IMG] Warrior Builds
    Perma-Swordsman: A Perma-Swordman is a character that doesn't advance passed the first job advancement. The build for AP and SP are standard, meaning you pump AP points into STR and max all of the recommended skills. You're free to use any Warrior Weapon you wish, but Spears and Polearms are recommended because of their higher damage multipliers.

DEX Warrior: These Warriors pump AP points only into DEX. This build will work with any Warrior, but keep in mind that the damage will be about a third of the damage of a normal Warrior. However, your damage will also be super stable and you’ll never have to worry about accuracy or equipping a Stone Tooth Sword again! The SP build is otherwise unchanged.

HP Warriors: HP Warriors pump all of their AP Points into HP. There are two different ways to play an HP Warrior. If you choose the damage reflect path, such as Fighter or Page, then you can use Power Guard to defeat monsters. Keep in mind that this route can be really expensive as you'll need to be able to afford many HP potions. The other method would be to use regular Warrior skills. The damage will be extremely weak, but it will get the job done eventually.

Dagger Warrior: Dagger Warriors have two functioning AP builds, everything into STR or the partial DEX build. The pure STR build will get you stronger damage because in this version Dagger damage on a Warrior is based mainly off STR, but you may have a rough time trying to find the higher leveled common stat-less daggers. The partial DEX build can be more convenient because the STR Daggers require a certain amount of DEX to equip them and are easier to acquire than stat-less daggers. This build can function with any Warrior type because you'll mainly be using Power Strike and Slash Blast, but the Fighter-Hero route is most recommended due to the variety of skills and buffs available to you.

Wand Warrior: A Wand Warrior adds enough AP points into INT and LUK in order to wield common Wands and pump that rest of their AP into STR. Much like Dagger Warriors, the Fighter-Hero path is most recommended and you will primarily use Power Strike and Slash Blast.

[​IMG] Mage Builds
    Perma-Mage: A Perma-Mage is a character that does not advance passed the first job advancement. The build for AP and SP are standard, meaning you pump AP points into INT and max all of the recommended skills and you're free to use any weapon you wish.

LUK Mage: There are two builds available for these Mages, one where you pump all AP points into LUK and one where you cap your INT to meet equipment requirements and then pump everything else into LUK. Keep in mind that LUK adds absolutely nothing to your magic, but because there are so many equipment and weapons choices available to you, the damage isn't too bad. I lied. They're still pretty terrible and their isn't much payoff besides being able to equip super cheapo Elemental Staffs and losing a bit less EXP when you die.

STR Mage: These Mages pump all AP points into STR and use melee weapons to smack critters around like a Beginner. Much like a Beginner or your average Warrior, these guys will have accuracy troubles so you're going to want to invest in similar accuracy equipment. F/P Mage is the most recommended build because Myst doesn't require magic accuracy and is super awesome, but second job will be a pain though because Poison Brace does require Magic to hit monsters in this version.

Melee Mage: This Mage is a lot like a STR Mage in that you're going to be melee smacking baddies, but also some spells. The AP build for this one is super wonky because you're going to want to be using Umbrellas and other combination Magic/Weapon ATK weapons. As such, you're magic damage will be based off your Magic and your smack damage off of your range, so you might want to go pure STR and just use your spells for luring or a mix of STR and INT to utilize damage from both. Both I/L Mage and F/P Mage function with this build, but again F/P is highly recommended.

[​IMG] Archer Builds
    Perma-Archer: A Perma-Archer is a character that doesn't advance passed the first job advancement. The build for AP and SP are standard, meaning you pump AP points into DEX and STR accordingly and max all of the recommended skills. You're free to choose either weapon, Bows will give you an attack speed boost while Crossbows will give you a bit more power. Crossbow scrolls are also insanely cheap compared to Bow scrolls, so keep that in mind as well!

Woodsman: These guys are STR archers that function much like Beginners. You will use melee weapons to boop everything and have accuracy concerns. Archer gear doesn't have stat requirements so no worries there. Your Second job will be oh so useless in every way, but you have summons to look forward to in Third job! I would recommend going the Sniper/Marksman route because Golden Eagle is beautiful and Frostprey's freeze is arguably more useful than Pheonix's burn.

Bow-Wacker: These guys use Power Knock-Back as their main training skill. I'm not sure about the AP build here, but I assume a STR build would do.

[​IMG] Thief Builds
    Perma-Thief: A Perma-Theif is a character that doesn't advance passed the first job advancement. The build for AP and SP are standard, meaning you pump AP points into DEX and LUK accordingly and max all of the recommended skills. This one is a bit more fun because you can choose to specialize in Claws or Daggers! It still sucks though...

DEX Bandit: These guys pump the majority of AP into DEX and gather enough STR to wear STR Daggers. The damage is super weak, but super stable! Like most odd builds, you suffer through until you get a neat skill. Meso Explosion is that skill for DEX Bandits.

HP Bandit: Similar to DEX Bandits, only worse. Simply add all of your AP points into HP and suffer until Meso Explosion. With enough time and money, you can easily solo every monster in the game. Also, never die!

Brigand: This is another Beginneresqe build, where you pump AP primarily into STR. You go use common weapons and Disorder to attack in First job. Go Bandit in Second job and you'll get Steal, go Hermit and you'll get nothing!

[​IMG] Pirate Builds
    Perma-Pirate: A Perma-Pirate is a character that doesn't advance passed the first job advancement. The build for AP and SP are standard, but depend on which weapon you want to specialize in. Go STR for Knuckles or DEX for Guns.

STR Gunslinger: These guys put everything into STR and use common weapons. They work like Woodsmen except that they get SSK, Octopus, and Gaviota, so they're a lot better, right? Not really...

DEX Brawler: Pure DEX all the way. These guys have a super avoid-ability formula that makes them invincible. Their damage is super crappy, but super stable.

If you notice any build related errors or typos, please let me know!
    I'm Alyssaur. I played GMS Khaini from 2006-2012, primarily as a Beginner but I also experimented with various odd builds throughout the years. I co-founded Oddballs along with FluffCano, and OddMage in 2009 with the purpose of bringing a scattered freak community together. For 3 years, we fostered family-like environment for Beginners, Islanders, and Campers, as well as any character that had an unusual build or different playing style in our efforts to beat the game the wrong way. It was fun.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. ImAnIslander

ImAnIslander Member

Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh BOIIIIIIIIIIII!

Alyssaur likes this.
  3. Yan

Yan Donator

Country Flag:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    2005 builds..

Mrkaren, Don and Kibito like this.
  4. Lemur

Lemur Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lemur
    Level:
    uhm
    I'm glad this exists. Thank you.

Now I have future ways to waste my time -steeples fingers-.

Alyssaur likes this.
  5. SodeNoShirayuki

SodeNoShirayuki Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Tsukishima
    Level:
    Guild:
    BongLords

Alyssaur likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Linyah
    Level:
  7. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    Optimal build is optimal.

Marty likes this.
  8. FruitShopOwner

FruitShopOwner Well-Known Member

IGN:
    IntlessMLG
    Though I like the idea for this thread, I simply must point out some things, particularly about LUK mages

1. Please don't claim that a build "sucks" - this isn't just about LUK mages, but I noticed parts where you expressed such...opinions - as you are someone who is fond of unusual builds, I wouldn't expect this from you - surely you've met people who have told you that the way you play is "wrong" or that it sucks, no?

2. [EDIT - I'm wrong about this one - it turns out that LUK doesn't affect magic damage, at least not in this patch] LUK DOES add to your magic attack - at almost half the value of INT, before monster magic defense is taken into account

3. LUK also increases both your magic and weapon accuracy - LUK is on par with INT when it comes to magic accuracy, and, as a pure LUK mage, I'm able to hit pretty much anything about 30 levels above me with both my weapon, and, at a lower rate, my spells

4. You may be asking why you'd want accuracy with a melee weapon when you'd be dealing 1 damage each hit - and pretty much the same with spells (against high-level enemies). The answer is simple - poison. As almost anything other than a poison mage, you would be struggling to defeat foes 30 levels above you. By using poison, a single successful hit has a 60-70% chance to devastate the enemy's health and leave it at 1. And here's the part where LUK truly shines - with a melee weapon (particularly one with accuracy, like a 30 acc maple soul singer), you can finish off the enemy that is left at 1 HP with far greater success than even an INT-based poison mage, because a LUK mage's weapon accuracy is far greater than his magic accuracy, and, compared to an INT poison mage fighting high-level enemies, it makes little difference how much damage you deal - it's all in the poison, which leaves all foes who are not immune to it to 1 HP

5. Avoidability - not very effective against the high-level enemies that I'd expect a poison mage to fight, but it is definitely noticeable against foes who are around your level or lower - hell, it was even noticeable when I walked through Death Teddies (not masters - I was training on those) around level 60-65

6. Finally, the coolness factor - imagine killing things with 1 damage - imagine EXPLODING things with 1 damage! I can give you a taste of what it's like right now, with this unlisted video:

So, from all this, I think we can agree that a pure LUK mage doesn't "suck", but can rather be considered one of the most powerful unusual builds mentioned in this thread, and though it is significantly underpowered against anything that is immune to poison (most notably, bosses), it even has a few advantages over regular poison mages. The problems come when you reach a high enough level that there are no enemies that are ~20-30 levels higher, and, naturally, bossing is pretty much off-limits

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    VitaLemonade likes this.
  9. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    Interesting find on Luk affecting accuracy and magic. Where'd you see this being a thing?

10. FruitShopOwner

IGN:
    IntlessMLG
    I was looking at ayumilove's formula compilation because I wanted to try to figure out some undiscovered (at least publicly - who knows how many people just keep quiet) or just obscure build, like I usually do in such games. It took me a while to see the synergy between LUK and poison, in part because I wasn't familiar with poison's mechanics at the time, but I eventually put the pieces together

Edit: I must have been looking at a different formula, because the one from the compilation doesn't have LUK in it - this formula from Hidden Street at the end of 2008 does:

Max:
    {[{MAG * 0.8) + (LUK/4)]/18} * Spell Magic Attack * 0.8

Min:
    {[(MAG * 0.8) + (LUK/4)]/18} * Spell Magic Attack * 0.8 * Mastery

And now I'm not sure which one applies to Royals :x
    I'll probably try to test it myself, but I rarely bother with direct damage anyway

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  11. Dimitri

Dimitri Saint of Horses

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Demiosa
    Level:
    18x
    Guild:
    UNITREE(D)
    Luk does affect the accuracy of your magic attacks,
    Luk does not in any way affect your magic attack damage wise though.

12. FruitShopOwner

IGN:
    IntlessMLG
    Yeah, it looks like that's the case. Strange where they got that formula from... maybe it was changed at some point?

13. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    I suspected as much. Some people I've been discussing with think it's post Big Bang.

14. FruitShopOwner

IGN:
    IntlessMLG
  15. BadStats

BadStats Member

IGN:
    BadStats
    How is f/p the best for strength mage? Why would a strength mage even care about doing magic whatsoever, such as poisoning? It seems pretty obvious that it would be the cleric branch. Healing yourself, bless and.. of course holy symbol. Not even mentioning the self-buffs. I get that it's your opinion.. but as a guide I feel it's lacking due to not even mentioning the superiority of the cleric branch purely based on skills rather than being 'super awesome.'

16. Mooshy

Mooshy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Oh dam. I remember seeing this guild back in the old days. For another odd build, I guess you can throw in an HP Gunslinger, since that's what I recall someone being in that guild.

Tect, ginwolf, Iridescent and 3 others like this.