Event Mapleroyals Christmas Event info

Discussion in 'Events' started by Sila, Dec 10, 2015.

1. creua

creua Member

IGN:
    Pastafarian
    I would guess 8GB ram and an core i5 4570 would be sufficient enough to run Maplestory, but I guess not when dozens of people are in one tiny map. And i fear to know how the lag is when it comes to people with old computers and bad internet.

2. Ponder

Ponder Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Uprisen
    Level:
    Guild:
    Climax
    Try it after today's update!

When everything's going fine and your screen freezes

3. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    Been through about 7-8 so far and I'm not having any issue.

impreciate likes this.
  4. Katsuruka

Katsuruka Donator

Snowman bugged up, spawned a mate and I lagged quite a bit. Then my internet died for a few seconds and of course because of the new rules, I was locked out of the boss even though I'd used 300 snow on it. >_<

(Unsure if the lag was to do with the double snowman spawn glitch, my net or both.)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  5. Convoluted

Convoluted Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Convoluted
    Level:
    14x
    The Snowman boss in the Extra Frosty Zone is so flawed for a few reasons:

• Need to give up 100 Snow just to enter the map
      • I get the underlying reason for this, but it causes problems for people that can't play the game as often as others when they just want to participate in the event. I work a full time job among other things and with snow being 35k EACH it gets pretty pricey to participate in Snowman bosses after the snow I've farmed up is depleted. (Which isn't much to begin with.)
      • On top of this, people are more inclined to hoard their snow or wait until the blower reaches 50% before even entering the map. This just creates unnecessarily long waits between snowmen compared to last year where you could fight several in rapid succession.
    • Event map is locked after the Snowman is spawned
      • Why? Royals isn't exactly known for its stable servers so a simple disconnect (like I've experienced a few times now while fighting the Snowman) results in lost snow and wasted time.
    In conclusion: Ain't nobody got time for this. 2014 Snowman event was handled way better and I seriously suggest you go back to that method next year.

6. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Your reasonings are flawed, for everything but the first one which I understand. I've not had the time to farm snow either, I was lucky enough that my friends pitched in to help me out and gave me a few stacks of snow.

However - we've had *multiple* back to back snowmen runs since this change. I think I did at least 10 runs in a row before I logged for the night just a few days ago. Earlier this morning /afternoon we had a bunch of people going from channel to channel setting off the snowmen back to back, too.
    Yes, people are more inclined to hoard their snow, but at least they're forced to use it instead of just camping out on other people's work.

Also, our servers have been much more stable lately than before. If you remember last year so much, surely you remember how simply setting off the snowman -once- would cause a massive lag spike across the entire server? How people started to hate the snowblower because of the lag it caused, and some more malicious people were even hoarding their snow just to purposely set the blower off right before major boss runs. (Keep in mind HT was newer and still took some organizing to complete). Lats year, we also only had a maximum of MAYBE 300 people online at peak hours. This year we've nearly tripled that.

Things had to be done to create a balance where people were able to participate without mules camping the map for hours on end and not participating at all. Where people without dedicated gaming computers were able to still participate in the event, because seriously Maplestory shouldn't require 8 gigs of RAM or more just to play. I've got a gaming desktop and I still dropped to .5 FPS before we introduced the character cap.

Here's a bit of a timeline on what we've done to try and help make things more fair:
    -- Changed presents from dropping to going directly into inventory upon dealing damage, guaranteeing anyone who participates will earn a present
    -- Disabled skills , pets and buffs from the map to reduce lag (and confusion)
    -- Introduced a 100 player limit to the map upon seeing how laggy 200+ people in one map was.
    -- Removed player cap, added a 1 hour timer after noticing people camping snowman map at 3k snow or less and people with snow unable to join and donate snow. Also opened up every channel to being able to host a snowman, rather than it being only in channel 1.
    -- Added the snow 'fee' which adds to the collective pot (the amount of snow needed for snowblower to explode). This works with the cap because 100 snow x 100 people = 10k snow, meaning even if people only added the minimum amount we'd still have a cap, but without the issue of people camping with multiple alts while others are unable to participate.

coyweng, looty108, John and 2 others like this.
  7. Convoluted

Convoluted Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Convoluted
    Level:
    14x
    So you think locking the room after the snowman spawned is a GOOD idea? Where a disconnect will ruin someone's fight and they can't jump back in? That's the biggest gripe I have with this whole thing. Let 100 people in, I don't care, but if you lock someone out from a disconnect even if the room isn't at 100 then that's bullshit.

Nothing else you've said means anything to me because in your effort to convenience the no-lifers with no jobs who still play on potato computers from 2003, (seriously, if you game on a laptop or even a Mac you need to reevaluate your life's choices.) you've inconvenienced people like me who can hardly play at all.

A bunch of players giving a GM player stuff for free? Hang on, I'm trying to be surprised.

8. John

John Donator

Seriously, get over yourself. Your posts are nothing but condescending and do not contribute in any beneficial way whatsoever. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Insulting people by telling them they have "potato computers from 2003" and "if you game on a laptop or even a Mac you need to reevaluate your life's choices" is just rude and does nothing to further your point.

9. Convoluted

Convoluted Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Convoluted
    Level:
    14x
    Why are you upset? I'm giving you insight as to why this event is flawed and can be fixed for next year to be more enjoyable. It's called criticism. No reason to tell me to get over myself.

10. Convoluted

Convoluted Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Convoluted
    Level:
    14x
    Yo, it's a fact of life that Macs weren't built for gaming. Laptops in general can never perform on the same level as a desktop PC. Not to mention their keyboards tend to suck and they're uncomfortable to use. It's 2015, you can buy a decent prebuilt PC that can run old Maple for like $400. There's no excuses anymore.

zyb1777 likes this.
  11. John

John Donator

There's a difference between constructive criticism and being rude. Being constructive is nice and is something along the lines of "I don't think giving up 100 snow to enter the map is a good idea because for someone like me, I don't have enough time to play the game to earn 100 snow each time. It's too much of a burden to enjoy the event." The way you phrased it, you literally called people without jobs "no-lifers", which is insulting, especially when you don't know why they don't have jobs in the first place.

Yo, it's a fact of life this version of Maplestory came out in 2008 so most Macs and laptops have more than enough memory and processing power than most desktop computers in 2008. Again, the keyboards "sucking" and being uncomfortable to use is your opinion. I primarily use a Macbook Pro, and the keyboard is fantastic and I can do everything on this computer I need to, including playing Royals without lag. It's 2015, and plenty of people don't have the means to afford just buying a new computer willy nilly. There are plenty of excuses. Apparently you have the money to do so, which is great and makes you fortunate, but don't just assume everyone has money they can throw at a new computer when they get frustrated with their current one, and if they don't have the money, they must be no-lifes with no job.

Since this is derailing the point of this thread, please feel free to PM if you want to continue this conversation, but do not do so here.

12. Jeen

Jeen Donator

Guild:
    ♬♩Radio♩♬
    Your comment is very rude and uncalled for. There is no reason why these people are more undeserving of joining in this even than you are. The effort was so that the majority of people could join in the event. Obviously, it can't be perfect for everyone. You say bring it back to how it was last year, how are you going to account the extra 600 people on the server as well? Things change, the population increases, and the staff do their best to keep up with growing demands. It sounds rather entitled that you feel that it's okay to tell others that they need to"reevaluate their life's choices" just for choosing to play a 32-bit game on a laptop. The joy of maplestory was that I could play it on a computer like that and not have to compete with my friends who had the luxury of a gaming computer. That's what thing's like League, Dota, WoW, etc are for.

I have read your reasons and I also agree that they're flawed. If it's pricey, don't buy it. Participate in LESS snowman events (or since you've said there aren't many going off anyway) you have plenty of time to farm snow. There is a snow requirement and the event map is locked so people who don't contribute anything to the snowman don't get to benefit from it. (I.E People host parties for their friends and themselves while randoms come in and try to mooch off of them). Many people were complaining about these people who were getting benefits by camping out without contributing. As it is right now, I am much more satisfied because I know that people who do get multiple characters in the map have to contribute in some way (Plus, they deserve a chance to get untradeable items on chars that they've worked hard for).

Sila and Plenty like this.
  13. Dimitri

Dimitri Saint of Horses

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Demiosa
    Level:
    18x
    Guild:
    UNITREE(D)
    Merry Christmas to you too

Infliximab, Sila, Plenty and 2 others like this.
  14. zyb1777

zyb1777 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    JoJoDIO
    Level:
    I just feel that if we will not exit the map after we reconnect from dc, so that we can try to connect back fast and still get our present.

I support your option because i understand your feeling.

creua likes this.
  15. PowerRule

PowerRule Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    powerrule
    Level:
    Guild:
    Real
    "If you complete the quest 15 times, you will be automatically awarded an Orb of Versalmas Cheer."

I already complete 15 times ,but didnt get the an Orb of Versalmas Cheer.

16. Achocolypse

Achocolypse Member

This apparently doesn't, as I didn't receive an Orb after 15 turn-ins across a couple characters.

17. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    Since there seems to be some confusion, and maybe some miscommunication here I will clarify about the 15 completions... The NPC is designed to give you an item that you are missing from the set of 4 items after you complete it 15 times. So if you have the Stretchy Material, Black Fur and Orb of Versalmas cheer, you will be given the missing Snow silk. If you have none of the items from the quest in your inventory at all, then the NPC presumes you still need all 4 items and will give you 1 of the 4.

18. Katsuruka

Katsuruka Donator

It doesn't work and isn't a good idea in the first place. Would kind of suck big time for someone who's only had Stretchy Material and Black Fur all along, because they might be awarded Snow Silk and might never get the Orb. Far better to go with giving the Orb after X turn-ins like we did last year.

Sorry if I misunderstood what Matt had said and therefore accidentally misled people, but I specifically requested that we got an orb after X turn ins, and we discussed the number of turn ins in staff chat.

EDIT: Clarification of why I think it isn't a good idea going with this system. If you get the Orb on your 15th attempt, it guarantees you a reward from O-Pongo because if you got really unlucky with one of the other pieces, you can always buy from another player. Without the Orb, you're screwed.

EDIT2: This is Bunnieh after 15 turns in. She has less than 15 items as she traded a couple to my other characters, but if you check the channelserver logs, you will see she was never awarded an Orb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of her Use inventory is empty. If you're keeping quest completion logs for the O-Pongo part of the quest, you'll see she's never completed any of the quests this Christmas. If she's got anything logged for O-Pongo, it will be from last Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Reen94, looty108 and Jeen like this.
  19. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    The code hasn't been changed since last year though (apart from us using 15 attempts instead of 25). What I was trying to explain was if you only have two types of item on your 16th attempt, you'll get the 3rd item, And then on your 17th attempt you will get the 4th item. Or if you are really really unlucky and only have one item, then on the 18th attempt you would be guaranteed to be given all 3 missing items (from the 16th, 17th and 18th attempt). But its very likely that most people would have 3 items and get it on the 16th attempt as proposed.

So its not just on the 16th attempt that you get a missing item. Its any attempt after the 15th attempt. Which personally I think is fine, or even better than just giving the orb after the 15th.

Edit: There was a bug in the code that meant that the NPC was giving it the items from the 17th attempt, this has now been fixed back to 16th. The bug was there since last year so I didn't notice it when simply changing the number from 25 attempts to 15. And due to it being 25 attempts last year the bug was never reported as most people got the items by then. Apologies to anyone who didn't get the item on the 16th attempt, you'll get the items from you next attempts.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    coyweng likes this.
  20. Achocolypse

Achocolypse Member

Thank you.