Game Challenge: Ironman Mode (Solo, DIY - No Trading)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PaddysPub, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Not normally but we are planning to make exceptions for zak and maybe one day Horntail, and possibly gpq I believe, mostly only if skill books are need though otherwise no partying or anything really

2. Nostaigia

Nostaigia Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Nostaigia
    Level:
    @LuckyLook wanna kill the ironman game with me? I mean you've already got 3 200s..

3. inversion

inversion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Inversion
    Level:
    Guild:
    Unity
    he's got 4 dude

4. Nostaigia

Nostaigia Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Nostaigia
    Level:
    dude who are you

5. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    That's Inversion, he's a cool guy, idrk know but hes the person in my pic so that means he's pretty cool

6. SleepingRose

SleepingRose Well-Known Member

IGN:
    SleepyPetals
    Guild:
    IRONMAN
    I feel like maybe you misunderstand. If you want to be an Ironman do it. You don't get help (besides moral support) at all. So yea, if you want to solo to 200, post your IGN here or whisper Samadhi, Foxz or SleepyPetals for an invite.
    We're always waiting for new blood with open arms, even if sometimes they surpass everyone *coughTIMcough*.~f2

Arian likes this.
  7. HarleysLove

HarleysLove Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    7DeadlySins
    Level:
    Guild:
    Guildless :C
    7DeadiySins Bandit now, Been Ironmanning for 2 days. Didn't know who to contact to join the guild. :\

SleepingRose likes this.
  8. SleepingRose

IGN:
    SleepyPetals
    Guild:
    IRONMAN
    I gotta patch up yet, I have throttled internet speed. Once I'm up and running if you're on Ill send out an invite. ~f2

9. Arian

Arian Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    IronPunch
    Guild:
    Ironman
    PROGRESS UPDATE!
    So i just hit level 43 wich means i'm ready for that Maple Storm Finger! :)
    [​IMG]
    Finished the quest for Stan's hat

[​IMG]
    Finally found a better maple knuckle (lv35)

[​IMG]
    Found a great Storm Finger! Chipmunks are also a great training spot :)

[​IMG]
    Was training here and suddenly this bad boy dropped!

[​IMG]
    Reached level 43 so i could equip my Storm Finger :)!

I will slow down on grinding now, as i'm getting pretty busy with university..
    Good luck to my fellow Ironmen! :)

MorFar, ZombieEater, Royalty and 2 others like this.
  10. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    *coughMIKEcough* *coughBeforeHeDisapearedcough*

Samadhi likes this.
  11. baka

baka Well-Known Member

the GM/staff should definitely create a "mode" called Ironman, basically when you create your "character" all the trade/party will be hard-coded disabled (+all other rules will be forced and not optional)
    also, because this should be a solo-game, some things need to be changed, like zakum, HT and other "quite hard" pq where you need to be in a party to success. maybe have all skills available when you get to job4, or make it so you can buy it from NPC, or you need to do solo-quests to get it.

im quite a "solo-player", so i would love it. but right now im not sure if im ready to start over.

Samadhi likes this.
  12. SleepingRose

IGN:
    SleepyPetals
    Guild:
    IRONMAN
  13. Samadhi

Samadhi Donator

IGN:
    Samadhi
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Thank you for your posts guys! I'm a really slow writer and I've been kinda busy lately, but I have so many things going on my mind! I think it's time to share some of my personal thoughts and feelings. This is, of course, a terrible wall-of-text. You are warned.

---bla---

Regarding the introduction of an “Official” Ironman mode:

I've read a lot of meta regarding current server issues. I find this kind of discussions really interesting.
    While I think that a New World with no-trade\hardcore elements would be damn interesting, and it would address some of the current issues with equipment balancing and community longevity, I think that these changes would and should be oriented toward encouraging a healthy interaction between players, not to promote a specific solo-oriented play-style.
    Even if the Staff was okay in giving a chance to this game mode, Maplestory social elements are so 'hardwired' in the actual game mechanics, character building and progression, drop/exp system, that it would simply put too much of a dev work on the shoulders of a pserver's team.

Let's recruit an Ironman developer and create our pserver maybe? ;) Joking aside, I love theorycrafting, but I don't want to derail the thread further. :D

Regarding some concerns raised by @Nostaigia and @baka:

This is, simply put, the situation: unless the Ironman challenge went through some form of official recognition, Community Events will never be catered to our needs.

I do agree that the Pilgrim Hat generated a mini-power creep phenomenon among us.
    However, it is important to remind that the Ironman challenge is not an official game mode, and it is not be intended solely as a 'hardcore route' for the current server-specific endgame 'meta'. Some of us are just in for fun, experimentation, exploration and a bittersweet feeling of nostalgia.

This not means that you cannot set your own competitive goals within the rules, but it is important to remember that the Ironman Challenge is mainly an individual, trust-based challenge.
    We do not have level / accomplishment rankings for now precisely because we are aware that the environment does not allow us to have a “fair” competition, and it would probably lead to a situation where people feel “compelled” to chose a specific class or build in order not to fall behind.
    Does it make sense? :)

---concerning Skill / Mastery books and bossing---

Many people have expressed the desire to make some exceptions for things related to Skill / Mastery Books, as the system is totally solo-unfriendly. As you can read in our OP, we are totally okay with this.This is a common issue also for regular players, with the difference that Ironmen ideally do not have access to the Free Market or Community's bossing services.

Here's the current situation. Everyone is welcome to join the brainstorming and provide us with helpful inputs.

The challenge is still young, and we are still discussing the details in order to provide a clear set of rules to put in the OP. There are many points that we feel are simply in conflict with the very core of the Ironman experience, so we think it is really important to come up with a good plan.

Here are among the issues we have been able to outline so far.

- Should we treat ALL the Skillbooks / Mastery books as something we are entitled to?

- Are there the conditions / are we willing to work as a guild in order to create an Ironman bossing squad or a regular GPQ squad? What would be the impact for the challenge?

- Should Ironmen be allowed to seek external help in order to complete a Skill / Mastery book-related quest in case the guild cannot technically provide help? (i.e. recruiting a stance-less warrior for the El Nath PQ)?

- Should Ironmen be allowed to join regular boss runs in case the guild fails to provide the necessary help?

- What about Horntail? Many people are not HP washing and the chances to assemble a fully-functional Horntail squad are pretty thin.

- Should we put specific requirements for the Ironman in order to join a boss run?

- Should Ironmen be able to loot-share boss Skill / Mastery Books?

I am not very good with words, so I hope I have expressed all my concerns in a clear way. Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Joong, Bella, Yiks and 4 others like this.
  14. SleepingRose

IGN:
    SleepyPetals
    Guild:
    IRONMAN
    I personally didn't make any of my ironman characters with bossing or getting any good items in mind. It's just something to do. If people want to party and do things, there's nothing stopping them from NOT being an Ironman and doing so. It's just like the islanders complaining about not getting offered certain things on maple island. Nothing is stopping them from leaving the island, they are choosing not to. If you CHOOSE to be an Ironman, you have to know what it entails. Solo forever. I know everyone cries about skill books and zak helms. If you want them so bad go ahead no one is stopping you. As far as I know no one has "cheated" on an Ironman, and as far as I know no one has been expelled for anything. It's really a self imposed challenge. If you feel you deserve to be able to party and get stuff then do it. I won't. I will never party. For any reason.

Yiks and Samadhi like this.
  15. Moo

Moo Donator

IGN:
    Moooooooo
    Guild:
    Fate/Home
    I like the idea of ironman parties for zakum and horntail only, as our own community event/for skillbook purposes.

Can I join the guild on my new ironman character? It's called ironcow

Celiu likes this.
  16. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    I agree with you in part but there's lots of people that want all the other parts of ironman with the ability to get all their skills, such as sins getting triple throw, its ONLY available at all from zak, it just depends on what level of solo you are interested in, im against zhelms though, just the books

Royalty and Bella like this.
  17. SleepingRose

IGN:
    SleepyPetals
    Guild:
    IRONMAN
    Sorry, by the time I logged in it seems you werent online, I added you to buddies so hopefully we can get you a guild invite soon.
    My post maybe was a bit harsh. I personally feel you should decide the amount of Ironman you want to be. I can understand people wanting things you need a party for and I'm not against them. That being said, I personally am choosing that future where I won't have the things you need parties for.

18. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
  19. Bella

Bella Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bella
    Dammit @Royalty! You and your elephant footsteps! I told you to sneak quietly.
    Gosh. You've blown it. Abort! Abort!

Royalty and Dylanducki like this.
  20. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Are you two actually ever going to play or just going to sneak around more :p