Game Challenge: Ironman Mode (Solo, DIY - No Trading)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PaddysPub, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Samadhi

Samadhi Donator

IGN:
    Samadhi
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Of course, English is not my first language, so I am sorry if my wording sounded confusing to you.
    I'm no expert either. This is my first private server, I come directly from 2005-2007 Maplestory era. I'm speaking mostly from my experience with the challenge and the old-school gameplay.

I feel that Pre-bb classes are all pretty unique, each one has its own way to train and progress through the game.

Going solo / no trade basically means that you need to "endure" solo training sessions from the very beginning. If you want to get a significant upgrade for your equipment, you may want to farm in places not always optimal for your class/level (I.e. I am level 109 and currently farming scrolls in Florina Beach :D).
    Unless you can grind like a machine toward very specific goals, it's really important that you enjoy every step of this journey, because it will be significantly slower, and ideally you will not be able to party to make up for your specific "shortcomings".

This said, there is no magic formula that can work for everyone. This is why I am suggesting to try out different classes, get a general feeling about their progression, lurk the forums and see what "clicks" for you.

If I had to start a new Ironman character with a practical mind, there are some relevant questions I would ask myself:

- Can I endure a slow "power curve"? (classes whose early levels are generally considered pretty slow and underwhelming, i.e. corsairs or bowmen)
    - Are my endgame equips and related scrolls easily farmable from the environment? (i.e. Answer for BW Paladins is no: Crushed Skull, 30% 1hbw scrolls and w.atk shield scrolls are Gacha exclusive)
    - Is my class able to solo-farm effectively? (= good spammable aoe skills?)
    - Do I like hunting for my equipment? (if yes, you may find the LUKless mage route a bit underwhelming)
    - Is bossing important for me / for my 4th job SP build? Do I plan to solo Zakum? (while I'm pretty sure that Horntail is unsoloable, I am not sure if every class is technically able to solo Zakum.)

Personal experience: A month ago I tried to start a 2nd char - a LUKless cleric - under the Ironman challenge, but I eventually quit it early on because a) I didn't like heal-spam training b) I like equip-hunting, and LUKless mages have a pretty limited and often gacha-exclusive equip choice. I also realized I had no clear goals in mind. If I had to restart, I would probably chose an alternative SP build, and also put some LUK in order to be able to wear high level mage gear.

Once again, sorry for this long and confusing post. I don't post often on public forums (spaghetti writing), but I look forward to meet you in game and read about your progress. :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Joong and Royalty like this.
  2. SleepingRose

SleepingRose Well-Known Member

IGN:
    SleepyPetals
    Guild:
    IRONMAN
    If I'm not on SleepyPetals this is my alt, if you're trying to get an invite feel free to whisper me and I will gladly change characters to invite.
    [​IMG]

3. Overkill

Overkill Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Dedhead
    The long post is not a porblem at all, I actually really appreciate it. It helps me gain more insight into what I would like to do with the character. From some of the things you mentioned, I would enjoy hunting for equips/scrolls, as well as hopefully be able to farm solo, bossing is sort of important, but really just the smaller bosses like Pap, Pianus, Headless Horseman, Bigfoot, etc. Also, you mentioned and important aspect when choosing a character. How easy is it to hunt equips/scrolls from the environment for a particular class? Say I went with a Hero, would 2H sword, or 2H axe be if not easier to find, less challenging. So thats what I would plan for my character.

I made a Warrior today, going to make up my mind to go Hero or Pally. Or if you think something else might fit my wants better, feel free to mention it.
    IGN is Stonewall
    Just made him about 2 hours ago.

Samadhi and SleepingRose like this.
  4. Samadhi

Samadhi Donator

IGN:
    Samadhi
    Guild:
    Ironman
    @Overkill
    Ugh, sorry for the late reply. Sadly the Library is temporary gone, but IIRC your early game should be fairly smooth.
    Maple Weapons for Fighters drop from good/popular training locations (Wild Boars, Brown Teddies, Golems). Forest of Golems is an excellent, if not the best 5X-7X training spot for Warriors both EXP and drop wise (Dark Golems drop 2h Sword and 2h Axe 60%, Mixed Golems drop GFA 60%). If you want a decent Warrior glove to scroll early on, you can farm Voodoos for an above average Dark Clench (lvl 60 glove with the highest average accuracy).

Quick progress update:

[​IMG]

Status: going slowly, but surely! Well, more slowly than surely. But that's OK. I am enjoying the pace, and don't feel like rushing levels yet.

Map of the week: Dragon Forest I
    [​IMG]

Currently farming Dragon scales/spirits for a Dragon Weapon (mainly for science purpose, I need to understand if it's worth time wise).​

Finally dropped a Jack o' Lantern! Now I just need dat Bigfoot Toe. D:
    [​IMG]

Finally dropped Manon's Cry! Getting ready for Divine Charge!
    [​IMG]

Gearing progress:

Status: ugh. No significant gear improvements due to hilariously bad luck, and farming being too slow to keep up with booming / failures.

Only 2 “survivors”:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Things really change perspective when you gach for yourself only, and you don't have FM/trade access to replace rare gacha-exclusive stuff.
    I managed to fail 3x60% in a row on my 2att PaC, but luckily I gached a new and better one today! Felt like Christmas. Time for more Cape STR farming in Florina yeee.
    [​IMG]

Current goals:
    Forging a Dragon Weapon for science purpose.
    Reaching level 120.​

tl;dr: I'm a scrub, I'm having fun.

Joong, Arian, Tim and 3 others like this.
  5. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Hey, sorry I've been on so little, not a whole lot of time and I've been favoring League of Legends in said free time, I swear I'll be back *looks at all the others that disappeared* I'm still keeping a close eye on the forum and such, hope everything's running well and everyone's having fun :D
    Grats on 111 Samadhi!

Samadhi likes this.
  6. Wyren

Wyren Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Wyren
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Starting out my adventure.
    wyren1.png
    Getting that one hairstyle everyone wanted from this quest back in gms/ems/etc :3.
    wyren2.png
    My stats at the end of day 1.
    wyren3.png
    Also item wise i got a Bandana, surfboard and lots of purses from slimes in the tree and some sweatpants from a snail in perion (blue i think i cant remember).

SleepingRose and Samadhi like this.
  7. Toad

Toad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    JohnBonham
    Level:
    [​IMG]

I'm down for this! I was thinking of recording it, speeding it up, and uploading it to YouTube. Or maybe not. I dunno. I would love an invite to the guild if you guys have any room. I'll keep an eye out for y'all

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  8. Samadhi

Samadhi Donator

IGN:
    Samadhi
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Welcome @Tranny and @Toad! :D

Soloed my first Bigfoot after the today's Server Check!

[​IMG]

Actually, this was kinda unexpected and I was completely unprepared. I had never ever tried this boss before. My initial idea was just to test a bit the invincibility frames. Then I realized that I could probably make it, and eventually decided to go full YOLO.

As this BF run was completely unplanned, sadly I couldn't record it. However, I managed to take a few screenshoots (ugh) that I converted into this crappy .gif.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I am even wearing the INT cape I use to level up. ~f8 I can barely tank his touch dmg with PG on, so I kept refreshing my skills like a madman. No Toe, sadly. But oh, well.

Info (feel free to laugh):
    Hopeless weapon bashing time: about 2 hours.
    Very slow mainly due to bad timing with its invincibilty frames and my laughable damage. Started with ordinary 10atk pots, then Stoppers when I realized I could seriously make it.

Joong, Tim, Arian and 4 others like this.
  9. Royalty

Royalty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Royalty
    Level:
    12x
    HELL YEA! Huge accomplishment. I actually logged on the other day and no one was there to catch up with!

Samadhi likes this.
  10. Toad

Toad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    JohnBonham
    Level:
    [​IMG]
    Logged on, killed a mushroom and got this. Nice!

11. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    AWWWW WHAT :'( I MISSED YOU?!? dang.

12. watermeloen

watermeloen Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I want to sign up as well! Not sure whether I should sign up here though and whether I should make screenshots or something?
    Going for the best class :D! Which is crossbowman!
    My IGN is BarrieButser so if you guys could add me to the iron man list and guild it would be awesome!

SleepingRose and Samadhi like this.
  13. Moose

Moose Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Soleil
    Level:
    Guild:
    Legends
    IGN: Kosuke
    Class: Beginner -> Bandit.

Royalty, SleepingRose and Samadhi like this.
  14. T3nsu

T3nsu Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    aBitAwkward
    Level:
    -
    So uh. I dunno what to say here since this is more like a test of how this works but I almost have first set of crystal ilbis now hunting for LUK crystal ores and next up will be stormcasters I think. Doing quests like always while waiting for NX to stack up enough. Adventures of Awkward.png

Dylanducki, Royalty and Samadhi like this.
  15. Nostaigia

Nostaigia Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Nostaigia
    Level:
    I decided to play since I have nothing to do in the few hours I have to spare nowadays and im not going to be competitive until a new world opens (if it ever does)

but cant decide what to make...I'd love to make a bowman but 30%s are only from gacha =\..

16. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    If you're looking for farmable 30s you're looking at spearman (wolfspider), 2H sword(cloud fox), claw if you're really hardcore (fire tusks), xbow, dagger I think, that's all I think, all mages and pirates don't, most other classes you can farm if I remember correctly

Royalty likes this.
  17. Nostaigia

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Nostaigia
    Level:
    hmm do we know how hard xbow att 30%s are?

18. Nostaigia

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Nostaigia
    Level:
    yolo im making an xbow

Dylanducki likes this.
  19. Dylanducki

Dylanducki Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Duckz
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    ign? i can quickly log on and add you before i go to bed?

20. Nostaigia

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Nostaigia
    Level:
    I think its IronNoob,gunna have to redownload the royals.exe my computer deleted it RIP