Notice New Source Status Update 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Matt, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImCanadian

ImCanadian Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ImCanadian
    Level:
    Guild:
    Boobs
    There has been no announced ETA on the new source.

2. Nostaigia

Nostaigia Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Nostaigia
    Level:
    new source. best christmas. gift. ever. :D

3. LedoX

LedoX Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    LedoX
    Level:
    Guild:
    Talented
    I wonder if it's really hard to add in 3rd party critical hits, the other server made a big deal out of it, having this. Adding it in there banner on gtop.

4. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    It is quite difficult since it requires a good deal of knowledge about packets. Kevin is working hard to fix all issues and include as many packet structures as possible in the new source, some of which have already been demonstrated in this announcement.

LedoX likes this.
  5. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

IGN:
    IPissStars
    Guild:
    none
    I hope its out during summer break

Experience likes this.
  6. Zoink

Zoink Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bollocks
    Level:
    Guild:
    Nipple
    No beard in donator items. Guess it not time to return yet.

happyname and Nessi like this.
  7. CmPunk

CmPunk Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CmPunk
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tempest
    but when no have date ?~f6

8. ImCanadian

ImCanadian Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ImCanadian
    Level:
    Guild:
    Boobs
    In a few months....lel

9. Emrah

Emrah Donator

Level:
    Guild:
    Aeon
    Is this even happening or nah

10. ShortMaple

ShortMaple Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Short
    This is never gonna be released. They're probably only working on it like a few hours a month at best.
    1.5 years ago they thought a new source would be a good idea, then they got bored creating it.

MapleRoyals will shut down before this is released. xd

IoIzor likes this.
  11. GriZ

GriZ Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    MidN
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Very disrespectful for the devs working their ass off for this. You have no idea of the amount of hours required to build the game from ground up

looty108, Graces, Gurps and 6 others like this.
  12. John

John Donator

You have no idea. Literally none. Please get a clue before posting complete nonsense like this.

13. ShortMaple

ShortMaple Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Short
    How do you know they're working their ass off? A few months in may xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

14. Emrah

Emrah Donator

Level:
    Guild:
    Aeon
    Help us understand or give us an idea. Isn't that what the Open Beta category was created for on this forum in the first place? The last update according to your update logs was 23/7/2016 which is almost 2 months ago and let me just quote really quick what that update contained:

.. Aaand that's literally the update.

The whole new source idea is just turning into a meme. The source was announced so long ago and I personally knew about it 2-3 months before it was even announced to the public. If the fundemental shit hasn't even been coded or whatever is going on with the source, why even announce itso early in the first place? I know "loyal" Royals (I call them suck-ups) players will probably make me look unappreciative, so here goes: This isn't me being unappreciative because you've done an amazing job with stabilizing the live source and removing all the lag that has occured from time to time. This is about the fact that the source was announced April 16th 2015 and there seems to be no progress. If it's not close to completion, why announce it at all?

15. Blasphemy

Blasphemy Donator

I agree with this point. I feel as if the new source got announced prematurely. Now we got a situation where many people got their hopes up over it and ultimately have lost faith in the project, due to how long it's taking.

Shnang, looty108, Graces and 6 others like this.
  16. ReggaeShark

ReggaeShark Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Dart
    Level:
    I had a theory that the "new source" update was just a ploy to keep da people playing. Kinda like catching the dragon on a baaaaaad trip 'mon.

17. Karven

Karven Developer

Country Flag:
    Perhaps I can clear some of the confusion as I'm the only one that works on the new source, and at that, I best understand where it's at, what's taken place over the course of the past year, what's still needed to be done.

Before I get into technical details, I'll say this: Working on new source has taken every minute of my free time, becoming almost a full time job. Most weeks, many hours of work have been dedicated to new source. It's hard to grasp what's being done and why it's taking so long without understanding what goes into making an amazing server.

With that said, since the open beta announcement, quite literally everything to do with the server has been modified, and when I say everything, I mean everything, from how data is loaded and saved to the database, to how client connections are managed, to every aspect of the gameplay. This will prompt the question of 'why redo everything if it was fine in the first place', to which I say, why settle for fine when we can have perfect? Over the past few months, updates that I've posted have consisted of very major revamps, including a complete redo of how maps and everything to do with them (so monsters, characters, NPCs, reactors, and so on) are handled, a complete revamp of monster handling in itself (as in how monsters get damaged, how monsters damage people, the calculations involved with that, and so on), and I've also redone characters completely (from how stuff like buffs and stats are understood and sent to the client, to how they're loaded/saved, and anything else that pertains to what defines a character). In addition to that, the entire PQ and instance system has been thrown out and reimagined to prevent the slew of bugs that live server currently exhibits. As you'd imagine, none of that is simple - recreating a game that existed years ago is no easy feat, getting it to a point where it's refined enough that telling it apart from the retail version of the game is near impossible is a whole different level of difficult. On top of that, most of the changes made are purely backend, where they wouldn't be immediately noticed by users. It's easy to say that there's been no progress if you are unaware of what goes on behind the scenes. The motivation behind new source is commonly, "Live server does it this way? We can do it better." - accomplishing that, however, involves a lot of changes that go unseen to pretty much anyone other than myself.

I will say this though - with how things are shaping up, and considering that a ton of the work being done now is tying up loose ends, the wait is nearing its end. I want new source up and running just as badly as anyone else. This past May, Matt had said that a few months is a good estimate - he wasn't wrong, a few months definitely sounds like a good indicator. I'm pushing for no later by the end of the year, but I might have an announcement in store for sometime before that.

All in all, I know the wait has been long, but it'll be worth it, that I can assure you of.

18. Enticing

Enticing Donator

IGN:
    Kaydril
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Again, when a person with absolutely no software or hardware knowledge opens their mouth, they just look silly. Ever think that maybe the reason they announced it so long ago, was to stem the constant badgering of players about updates? The server was quickly growing, players were experiencing more and more server stabilitiy issues as the population grew and people began to ask if there were going to be fixes. Ontop of the usual "are you ever going to add this" questions which we always get, announcing what they had planned out was them just trying to be transparent and upfront with us.

As someone who does have basic knowledge on software and hardware coding and writing, its amazing that ONE guy has been responsible for the New Source. And to see how much progress the guys made is quite amazing. His talents should be put to greater use like for a real job, than that of a Private Server. But Kevin happens to be one hell of a guy, who puts our needs over his own.

Thank you for the update Kevin. Its a shame people have begun to question your time and commitment, and that you had to come on to defend yourself from some pointless accusations. You've done a great job and have the full support of the community of Royals.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Matty, Gurps, Jeen and 2 others like this.
  19. ShortMaple

ShortMaple Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Short
    Yes, it's truly a shame that I can not be a part of the real community of Royals. I'm one of the false community members. Banished from your get-popular-amongst-the-admins-community.

What makes me a false community member?
    Simply the fact that I do not know what's going on except for what I'm told. If I try to look up information about the New Source Soon™, all I'll find is some PQ changes within the last several months.
    If I question this new source after 1.5 years, I am no longer a part of the real community.

And @ Kevin. Good job. But a little more transparency to what's going on behind the scenes would've gone a long way. People have no way of knowing if you've just abandoned your work or if you're working your ass off.

Dutchess, workteam, Platypi and 10 others like this.
  20. Enticing

Enticing Donator

IGN:
    Kaydril
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    Not worth arguing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.