Removal of warp-to-FM button functionality

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Azurite, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azurite

Azurite Donator

IGN:
    Jiwoo/Isseo
    https://royals.ms/forum/threads/updates-changes-18-08-14.12970/

Eli, Bingsu, irmy and 47 others like this.
  2. TheRealMVP

TheRealMVP Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Pavement
    Level:
    Why just why? #BringBackFMwarp

3. Seductive Love

Seductive Love Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Immortal
    Level:
    1xx
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    I would like to see it back, but does it interfere with new source code?
    Im assuming that is why they are removing it.

4. VoidSeeker

VoidSeeker Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    There must be a reason for this, I will wait and see how this works out before going mad insane

5. Dimitri

Dimitri Saint of Horses

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Demiosa
    Level:
    18x
    Guild:
    UNITREE(D)
    I doubt this post will be very popular since a lot of people have gotten used to the QoL feature that is the FM button, but I will proceed to anyway.

The button that was implemented years ago mainly existed to bring the community together when there were only one or two hundred players on the server.
    Back then it did a great job and a lot of people socialized in FM channel 1, it was a pleasant sight.
    However, nowadays this has completely changed and we feel like the button has overserved it's purpose, which is why we have decided to remove it.
    The button was not intended to be a tool for players to:
    • Have buff mules in a safezone where they can buff you up whenever you want.
    • Have an instant access safezone location where you can trade items to a mule so you don't have to leave your grinding map.
    • Quickly deal with leech payment on that character without having the risk of losing mapownership.
    • Having an instant access safezone location where you can take a break from grinding without having to go to town.
    Like I said before, we are well aware that a lot of players have gotten used to this button and that they will be sad to see it go, but we also like to believe that within a week or two they won't know any better anymore.
    Though it takes away a bit from your quality of life features, I do hope you can understand why we wanted to remove this feature from the game.

Please keep in mind that the above text does not include any of my opinions, and only serves as a clarification to those wondering why it has been removed today.

MSdrawman, irmy, Anvil and 36 others like this.
  6. Seductive Love

Seductive Love Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Immortal
    Level:
    1xx
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Well put!
    +1

ShaundeSheep and Toothpaste like this.
  7. Azurite

Azurite Donator

IGN:
    Jiwoo/Isseo
    Was the removal of instant FM warp a necessary change? Because it doesn't sound like it was + it was still in the open beta as well afaik

My problem aside from all the convenience that will be taken away is that there was no indication whatsoever that FM warp would be removed.
    Boat rides are now mandatory despite them also being inconvenient and opposed to by a majority of the server, but at least that didn't just pop out of nowhere.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Bingsu, irmy, Dre and 3 others like this.
  8. Michael

Michael Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    17step
    Guild:
    Heroes
    Not all changes that have been made are necessary, and this one is no exception; the course of action that has been taken is one that it has been decided upon as the best course of action for the server's long-term health.

9. Juju

Juju Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    iTears
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    Good bye FM warp / button :O

Toothpaste likes this.
  10. Azurite

Azurite Donator

IGN:
    Jiwoo/Isseo
    Could you (or anyone else) explain why you think removing FM warp is for the best of the server's long-term health?

artRAVER likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    17step
    Guild:
    Heroes
    It is the result of the belief that the negative effects that Dimitri has outlined are not healthy byproducts of the button.

12. Azurite

Azurite Donator

IGN:
    Jiwoo/Isseo
    Nowhere in Dimitri's bullets does it say that instant FM warp is destructive and/or list benefits of its removal?

I am playing semantics right now.

13. StrickBan

StrickBan Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    StrickBan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Envy
    - Couldn't you make skills to not work at fm?
    - You can have safezone locations in most maps
    - I don't get it. Only scenario where a person needs to go to FM when buying/selling leech is when the buyer is buying it from a shop, so the one selling leech stays in the map. There's no risk in that. Since most of the people selling leech are Bishops, can't they just use door and go to FM anyway if they needed to?
    - So basically making us walk unnecessarily if we want to take a break after grinding.

Can you elaborate on the "server's long-term health" please? Why is this a problem now when it's been like that for 2+ years?

14. Michael

Michael Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    17step
    Guild:
    Heroes
    There were other options for methods of controlling the problem at hand, as there generally are with controversial decisions such as this one. As stated previously, this was the course of action that was decided upon as the best way to rectify all issues, while also making it possible to remain as similar to the official server as possible.

To elaborate on what is meant by long-term health; you're right, the server is over three years old at this point, and that means that certain things that were not an issue before are becoming them. Think of issues like unlimited Horntail for what is meant by that - some parts of the game have begun to be used in manners that were not originally intended and have become a detriment to the overall goal of MapleRoyals, and as such, if they are let to continue, will continue to be a detriment. The intent of this change was to prevent that from happening.

15. Azurite

Azurite Donator

IGN:
    Jiwoo/Isseo
    Honestly, does it ultimately not mean much to the staff when you receive opposition to your gameplay decisions?

Throwback to boat ride feedback again; a majority of players voted against mandatory boat rides, but it was implemented anyway. All the Paladin feedback threads. Now with the removal of FM warp, many users seem against it as well. but that doesn't seem to be of too much of a bother to you guys either? ("Everyone will just get over it in a week or two, no problem")

Sure, the staff wants to maintain nostalgia and it's your server, your decisions; but 1) "Isn't the whole point of a private server to eliminate the difficulties that the majority of people faced and add unique perks while maintaining the nostalgia?", 2) Is the distressed feedback not important at all once you've made a decision?

What I want to confirm is even if it is proved that a majority of players don't agree with a changed aspect of the game (s/o boat rides take three!), nothing will change right?

16. Mouthbreather

Mouthbreather Donator

Country Flag:
    Level:
    Guild:
    ???
    There were a lot of things abused about the fm warp, the biggest one that comes to my mind is self buffing but there were also other things like relocating/refreshing your spawn, and being too convenient. Like John said, the fm warp originally existed because the server wasn't very populated at the time and it was a way to encourage people to socialize similar to how smegas used to drop from monsters. But we've reached a stage where our server population is no longer a problem so it's not needed anymore. You could argue that none of these things are actually bad but I guess that comes down to your opinion. I for one will miss being able to meet up with people with a single click of a button but I'm happy that they nerfed buff mules and everything else that came with it. If there was a way to keep the fm warp but remove the ability to self buff (and I don't mean not allowing skills to be used in the fm) then I'm all for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing them revert this change but I think it's too early for us to fully say whether this is good or bad, I mean the server isn't even up yet at the time of this post. Most of us have come to terms with smegas not dropping from monsters, some of us to the point where we don't ever want that to come back, so give this change some time too and you might come to accept it.

Edit: TLDR- There's nothing inherently wrong with removing the fm warp

ilikecats, Eika, Shnang and 2 others like this.
  17. Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Kuara
    Level:
    Guild:
    gang
    if it aint broke, don't fix it. #bringbackfmwarp

irmy, smackyabum, Dre and 3 others like this.
  18. CloudedMusic

CloudedMusic Well-Known Member

IGN:
    CloudedMusic
    Level:
    I had an unpleasant start to this new source patch with it not being Mac compatible and going through hours of downloading and re-downloading a VM just to get Royals to work. I'm not complaining that it is not compatible, I understand why, it's just not favourable but I was willing to give it a try. I came back to Royals after inactivity to socialize and maybe grind a bit and yes, I cannot be bothered to walk to an FM. Anyone that knows me knows I will not take the walk, and am mostly here to hang out with friends and the FM button plays a enormous role in that. I am probably more of a smaller-community server kinda person.

I will admit I've participated in the "FM-button abuse" but I liked the simplicity of the feature and I would prefer buffs be disabled in the maps but, what can I do? I just don't see how this is good for Royals in the long run. I've yet to see major complaints on the "negatives" Dimitri listed. Maybe they will #BringBackFMWarp in a year when the Mac client is anticipated to come out, but until then, see ya on the flip side kids. :)

ClaudiaX, Dre, rayzuke and 2 others like this.
  19. Mouthbreather

Mouthbreather Donator

Country Flag:
    Level:
    Guild:
    ???
    Sorry but how's this anyone's problem but yours if you're just gonna be stubborn about it?

Snapples and Shnang like this.
  20. Johnnytest2

Johnnytest2 Banned

Country Flag:
    only took a 95 hour patch to ruin the game

Bingsu, irmy, smackyabum and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.