Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Katsuruka, Jun 10, 2014.

?

Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

1. Yes, it's fine

36.8%
  2. No, it's really annoying

47.0%
  3. No opinion/mixed feelings

16.2%
  1. Katsuruka

Katsuruka Donator

How do you feel about spamming in the FM Entrance? Do you feel that it's a normal part of FM Channel 1 and should be allowed, or do you find it unnecessary and annoying?

By "spamming", I mean rapid and persistent repetition of the same thing over and over and over again, particularly of the "S> 18 int bathrobe @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@" variety.

If you feel it shouldn't be allowed, what do you feel would be the best way to deal with it?

I'm diverting these discussions (two separate threads) here, btw, so we can keep it all in one place.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    My opinion since forever now.

Ok indulge me this rant:

1)
    It's in the T&C that we all agreed to read upon signing up. There should be no, "I didn't know" nonsense, claiming ignorance just makes it worse for the offender. Although I think a mute would suffice as a 3 day ban seems rather harsh for spamming in FM. Either way, it's against the rules and should be enforced as such.

2) The reason people spammed in GMS/EMS was to make sure their message was seen. To sell anything at all without a shop it was necessary there to spam the hell out of your message, or else it would be lost among the hundreds of chats. Here we do not have that problem. There's usually no more than 50 people in the FM (most of which are AFK), and the chat isn't so spammed out you can't follow a conversation. Saying B>/S> every 30 seconds is enough for people to get your message without needless spam.

3) Everyone in the FM has already seen your message! The people in the FM doesn't change enough to warrant spamming the hell out of everyone. Saying it every 30 seconds, as stated above, is enough to ensure that everyone sees it and you don't spam needlessly. Everyone saw your message already, if someone is interested in what you're buying or selling they'll trade you.

4) WE GET FREE NX! Free NX for shops, free NX for chalkboards, free smegas that are dropped from mobs! Why not set up a shop and go do something more useful then spam in the FM? Like grinding, hunting for more stuff to sell, chatting with friends, stalking people. Time could be spent so much more efficiently... Or if you want to stand in the FM purchase a chalkboard with your free NX. To get around the bug that people entering the map after you set it up can't see it use it again every minute or so. And then there's smegas! You reach A LOT more people B>/S> via smega than you do spamming in the FM. And if you're low on smega's, go hunt for them while grinding or hunting for scrolls/equips. And you can do this with a shop up and advertise for your shop too!

I honestly believe there are no good reasons to spam in the FM, it's annoying, servers very little purpose when contrasted with the alternatives, and you have soooooo many alternatives to spamming that there should be no spam.

/rant

3. Marty

Marty Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Linyah
    Level:
    As Robb pointed out, the FM here, on a private server with a community nowhere near the size of the one on gMS, is more of a social gathering place instead of an actual market. Hired Merchants are easily obtainable with free NX daily and selling your stuff with either Merchants or SMEGAs (which drop from monsters) is just as good a way to get attention. And even saying "S>/B> _________" every 20-30 seconds is sufficient, since your messages don't get spammed to oblivion within a second, like it did on gMS.

So yes, a no for me.

You're selling an 18 INT bathrobe?!

4. illuminate

illuminate Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    illuminate
    Level:
    Guild:
    Queens
    illuminate votes no. Chalkboard can be easily spammed as much as all chat. The difference is all chat floods chat box, while chalkboard stays well seen by those who are in the map without annoying anyone.

Rob likes this.
  5. Sybe

Sybe Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sybe
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    Voted no, as it's simply not needed to spam, especially with @@@@. People in FM don't change so rapidly that it'd be needed to spam.
    As said in the chatbox, fixing the chalkboard would be a great alternative to advertise, and no spamming.

Liek likes this.
  6. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    I personally have mixed feelings about the issue. I believe that the FM is meant more as a place for people to buy/sell/trade items rather than a place to hang out and chat. However I understand that where people hang out and chat there will always be people trying buy and sell stuff. It even happens during GM events as there are a lot of people there.

The server is getting more popular every day and so will the FM. It would not surprise me if the FM entrance does end up as a common place for people to attempt to buy/sell items and services. Not everyone is going to have time to look through all the 14 FM rooms to find what they want. The number of FM rooms is just going to keep on increasing which will in turn make more people try to buy and sell in the FM entrance. Other reasons that people may be doing it is that they may have already have browsed the FM's and cannot find what they want, like items for a quest, as one example.

I know that right now it looks a bit silly seeing maybe only a few people repeatedly typing the same thing but I do not think it should become an offence which they can be banned for. I feel that if you do not like seeing the spam in the FM then you should find somewhere more quiet to hang out with your friends instead.

Ekul, Swag, Ubogi and 5 others like this.
  7. Celiu

Celiu Well-Known Member

Level:
    Guild:
    Aeon
    It's called a FREE MARKET of course spamming is allowed. Have you ever been to a Japanese market? People scream your ears off trynna sell them sushi rolls

MoldySoup, Djgio, rxdking and 5 others like this.
  8. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    Might I suggest working on getting Owl's of Minerva working so we don't have to?

Catlaunch, Unmagical, Blade and 4 others like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Linyah
    Level:
    inb4 "that ruins nostalgia" stuff.

Owls are v0.8x IIRC, right?

10. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    Nope, they're in our Cash Shop. They just don't work last I checked.

11. Marty

Marty Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Linyah
    Level:
    Really? :O I thought they weren't in v0.62... My bad.

12. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    We will try to get them to work however it would barely put a dent into the people that buy/sell in the FM entrance.

13. Marty

Marty Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Linyah
    Level:
    So first you say people will try and sell/buy their stuff in the FM Entrance because they'd have to browse the whole FM otherwise, or simply can't find their item...

With Owls, that problem would be resolved, but you're then saying it would "barely put a dent" into the whole situation?

That seems like a contradiction to me, Matt. Make up your mind, hmm?

14. Imkziza

Imkziza Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Idolic
    Level:
    I voted no.
    We have free smega's , shop and chatboards.
    However, chatboards and smegas often have not enough letters in order to say all I have to say so may I suggest making the chatboards longer? Also I think they're a big bugged as sometimes people don't actually see them...

Tentomon likes this.
  15. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    That is just ONE reason why people don't look in the shops. I noted others in my post though. Also with owls not everyone is going to want to spend their free NX on buying them. So yes I am still pretty certain that it will "barely put a dent" into the issue.

cassiefrass likes this.
  16. Marty

Marty Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Linyah
    Level:
    Only way to find out is to fix it and see for ourselves, I guess?

17. LowTierPage

LowTierPage Well-Known Member

IGN:
    DavidBowie
    I voted yes. Why does FMCH1 have to be the social ground? When I hit the Free Market it is strictly business. How it should be. The game is social enough with multiple different ways to chat to your friends. We don't need to sit in FM and chat. Half the people are AFK anyway. Keep FM CH1 strictly business. Chatting can be had literally anywhere else, any other channel.

18. FiteMeM8

FiteMeM8 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Laugh
    Level:
    Guild:
    brianNata
    Sure adding Owls is a great idea, I like it. But, still you have people always logging on so if they happen to log in or make their way to the free market at the time someone is spamming for say an elewand. Say they get owls working and no elewands are in any free market shops. Chances are alot of people in FM don't have smegas, and spamming B>ELEWAND@@@@@@@@@@ or any item for that matter has its' perks. Some people haven't got around to buying a shop yet, so when they go to the fm, see someone saying they want to buy an elewand boom there it is a possible sale. I mean you can't expect a gm to sit in the FM and warn everyone who spams as there are plenty of people who do it. (Just using EleWand as an example item)

Move to Henesys if you want to talk move to channel 2 free market (sure it's annoying to see someone spam) I mean unless you start banning people as soon as they start spamming this won't stop and I don't think it should.

cassiefrass and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    1) For those who say "It's a Free Market" I answer, it does not work the same was as in GMS. You can press one button to get there, unlike GMS, the very function of it is different, so why expect it to be the same as in GMS?

2) Sure you can chat anywhere else, but because you can click one button to get to the FM it becomes a central spot. Literally anyone anywhere in the maple world can get there with the click of a button, why would it not be a central gathering place? And sure, you have various methods to chat with your friends, but what about new people? Not many people PQ so that avenue is almost blocked, chatting in the FM is the most surefire way to talk to people you've never met before. I know I've met many awesome people by chatting first with them in the FM. If it were spammed out I may never have met them.

Blade, illuminate and Katsuruka like this.
  20. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    In case you didn't read my post I'll reiterate: You can hunt for smegas since they're free drops from mobs. Whenever you get a smega, use it. And even better, get a smega and a shop and advertise for your shop. Doesn't take a genius to figure this out.