Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Katsuruka, Jun 10, 2014.

?

Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

1. Yes, it's fine

36.8%
  2. No, it's really annoying

47.0%
  3. No opinion/mixed feelings

16.2%
  1. Christine

Christine Donator

IGN:
    2spoop-e4u
    Guild:
    fruits inc
    How do other people feel about this?

Ekul likes this.
  2. Tentomon

Tentomon Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CaptainHeidi
    Level:
    I agree completely with this.

It was a GMS culture thing to spam in the FM. Some people probably aren't even entirely clear on why they needed to use @@@@@@@. Everybody did it, so they just did too. Here it is not necessary, but they might not really understand the reason.

So, I think that it is needs to be education focussed, NOT ban focussed. This is where warnings/ mutings are best.

Katsuruka, Rob and Doritos like this.
  3. FiteMeM8

FiteMeM8 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Laugh
    Level:
    Guild:
    brianNata
    Sure, it sounds good but wouldn't it just be a free teleport to henesys? If it ended up like that chances are people would just use the free tele instead of most using it as social grounds like they used to do (or still do for that matter) for the fm.

JackDaneils and Katsuruka like this.
  4. Doritos

Doritos Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    RoughKnight
    I think the idea is that leaving the map sends you back to where you were, like the fm does. I'm still not convinced it would solve anything though, the beauty of the fm map is that you can go there to browse shops/check your shop and chat to players inbetween, there are plenty of private rooms for guild hangouts, and I even sometimes ask for stuff/check what others are selling in the fm entrance.

Tentomon likes this.
  5. Unix

Unix Active Member

IGN:
    Unix
    Level:
    Guild:
    Odyssey
    I'm totally in favor of "spamming" in FM. Here are a few reasons:

1. Repeating B> and S> in FM is an essential part of the MapleStory experience we all know and love. I used to be a merchant back in the days and "spamming" was a very effective tool for the buy-low-sell-high business.

2. When you're in FM, you can drag the chat box up quite a bit, because the floor is fairly high.

3. If you want to talk with someone in FM, you'll see the person's chat bubble. If you want to read guild/ buddy chat, go in an FM room.

4. A lot of people enjoy it. Of all the areas in Maple, I think the one map that's made for trading should be used as people desire.

5. Think about all the people shouting numbers and stuff at the stock market.

6. Even when few people enter the FM, there are some that will trade you only after you repeat what you're selling for a minute or two. I've had lots of trades in MapleRoyals that way.

7. Trading outside shops is more personal, it allows you to haggle the price up or down and a lot of times it's quicker than browsing 15 rooms with ~20 shops in each.

8. S> 10STR CAPE, B> SMEGAS 700k each @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

P.S. - the ~maya command sounds like a wonderful idea. The portal could teleport you back to the map you were at before, instead of Henesys. And people are using Gaga anyways to teleport to Henesys, NPC their items, go back to Gaga, then to FM, and then to Coolies or GS2 or whatever.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Ekul and maggles like this.
  6. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Not to mention that spam is laggy for people with less than stellar computers. How many times have I already frozen in place or even crashed just trying to enter a populated area? The more messages that are being spammed repeatedly adds to the lag, and makes it impossible for some people to keep up with what's going on.

Back in GMS days I used to be unable to even walk in the main FM because of how laggy it was with all the spam and all the people. Thankfully it's not that bad here yet.

I have no issues with people selling/trading/buying in FM. Spamming should be a no, and excessive spamming after being told to stop should be mute-able or something I think. Banning is a bit extreme for just spamming, but muting to get the point across could work.

Katsuruka likes this.
  7. Kerners

Kerners Donator

IGN:
    TeddieDuckie
    1. Spamming was only effective because due to the large number of players, no one could see what each other was saying. It doesn't do anything here, since we can read the chat just fine.

2. And why should we do that just to accommodate spammers? Some people don't want the chatbox clogging their entire screen either.

3. No, if we want to talk to someone in FM, we are unable to see the person's words because the idiotic spammer keeps shuffling it out.

4. The poll suggests here that a lot of people do not enjoy the @@@@ spam. I don't see how is that in any way enjoyable or of any value. It is just big, annoying and unnecessary characters that are intrusive and inconsiderate. The FM is used for trading, it is not used for spamming. Please differentiate. A message, even if it has B> or S> in it, if spammed repeatedly in an annoying fashion, is still spam.

5. A stock market with shouting and vibrancy is indeed exciting. A spammer doing @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ is neither vibrant nor exciting. Not a suitable analogy I'm afraid.

6-8. No one here has a problem with trading. Again, please do not conflate trading with spamming.

Rob likes this.
  8. xael

xael Active Member

that actually sounds very difficult to implement, and really unnecessary.

This is what I would suggest, when everyone starts the game, give them a chalkboard, and notify them the uses for chalkboard, to prevent spam. Now people can say what they want to say and not only that, there's no spam

9. DemSheddy

DemSheddy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Dynancix
    Level:
    14x
    Guild:
    Boobs
    I voted no due to the fact that if everyone does @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ over and over again, it becomes annoying and repetitive. Sure, it was allowed in GMS, etc. However, as Kerners mentioned, FM is a place where people can easily socialize and being a private server, it definitely is different from GMS. No one likes to see their chat box being spammed with:
    B> AP Resets@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    The nostalgic factor is not even a great excuse to justify such spamming.
    P.S The ~maya command is not worth it, in my opinion. This would just make the FM devoid of people as majority of the people in the FM are hanging out and not selling and buying stuff. Eventually, the "spammers" would go to Maya's house and it will become a vicious cycle.

Rob and Sybe like this.
  10. Christine

Christine Donator

IGN:
    2spoop-e4u
    Guild:
    fruits inc
    Won't really know what'll happen for sure unless it's implemented.

11. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    Saying B>/S> is not the issue, no one is saying not to do that, just that there's no reason to spam in our FM as it currently is. You HAD to spam in GMS to get your message seen, here you can say it once ever 30 seconds and everyone will see it.

You can, but when people are spamming at a fast rate it doesn't matter. Trying to keep up with the chat that's constantly going up makes you miss newer things that are said.

If you're chat box is dragged all the way up you won't be able to see the chat bubble. And it's a lot harder to follow chat bubbles because they overlap, especially if someone is spamming over you.

No one said anything against trading. Just spamming.

Really? Because reading chat=talking?

And they'll still trade you if you say it in a more moderate way, rather than spamming the hell out of everyone.

Again, no one is saying you can't buy or sell stuff in FM, just not to spam.

Are you deliberately trying to be annoying?

I'm starting to think you didn't read anything that was said in this thread. Most of your arguments are based off points that aren't even being disputed, this thread is about spamming in the FM, not buying or selling.

Doritos likes this.
  12. Doritos

Doritos Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    RoughKnight
    One can't help but wonder.

Suggestion: messages that contain more than 3 '@' characters in a row aren't displayed?

Tentomon likes this.
  13. Tentomon

Tentomon Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CaptainHeidi
    Level:
    It's a start. But people can still spam even without the @.

14. Sybe

Sybe Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sybe
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    Replace @@@ with $$$ or %%% or ### etc and the problem is still there people will find something else to use really.

Liek likes this.
  15. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    How about if you get the message about chatting too much more than 3 times you get auto muted for a certain amount of time? But that'd just force people to be more careful about their spamming. And it'd mute people using ~bosshp over and over. Ok forget that xD

16. Chokladkakan

Chokladkakan Web Developer

A trivial problem: some regular expression like /(.)\1{2,}/g will match all occurrences of some character repeated three or more times.

This, or anything of its ilk, is not the solution to be sought, however: such a system only encourages circumvention, not a change in behaviour.

17. Doritos

Doritos Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    RoughKnight
    I thought this existed here, I was always very conscientious about avoiding it lol.

18. UWSCSS

UWSCSS Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Introvert
    Level:
    7x
    Guild:
    FairyTail
    I agree that the spamming in FM should be scaled back but there's no possible way to do it without literally being there and removing the players involved in spamming constantly over and over. Until the server reaches like 1000+ players crowding the FM I don't see why someone can't just take it upon themselves to say B> whatever or S> whatever once every 10-15 seconds. It's not like there are tons of players going in and out of FM. Most of the big time players and buyers are ALREADY sitting there half the time and it they don't answer to your spamming, just shut up and give it up. Don't SMEGA spam, don't chat spam in FM, just shut up. People see your messages and if they don't answer, they don't want anything.

Edit: For the person(s) complaining about the laggy FM or laggy maps, I really understand what you mean but if you can't run MapleStory at the highest graphic setting which is barely a step over Nintendo-like graphics, you seriously seriously seriously need to get a better computer. I get some of the problems have to do with "my parents can't afford it" (get a job possibly? If you're too young, you have no business complaining, if you're old enough you have no reason to complain, find a less intense game to play like RuneScape maybe?), "I don't have the money (this applies to a lot of college and university kids and people in or out of jobs regularly or who have debt can't afford it, I get it really I do. I work and support my girlfriend and myself and I make a modest living but I can still squeeze a few bucks to upgrade a PC bit by bit)" or "I don't have to get a better computer if I don't want to and everything should go my way because I'm too stubborn to invest" (well it speaks for itself). The real message here is to make an effort before complaining about what others are doing if you've already found the problem and it's you.

19. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    UWCSS: Ever thought that perhaps there's other reasons why someone can't afford something as expensive as a computer upgrade- perhaps being on SSDI (disability) and being on a fixed income while supporting 2 other people in a household? Telling someone who can't afford a better computer that they shouldn't play is not the solution. I make do with what I have- a 6 year old laptop. I already run on medium graphics, lowering them if needed- but don't discount someone else's input simply because of that.

I was just saying another reason why spamming is annoying is that it increases lag. Simple as that.
    Also - Maplestory may look like Nintendo graphics (even though it doesnt), but it doesn't run like that on the computer. There's a big big difference.

Lag is an issue even for the best of computers sometimes. Hence why people lower their graphics and turn off external programs for important things like zakum or other boss runs.

20. LowTierPage

LowTierPage Well-Known Member

IGN:
    DavidBowie
    Rather see spam of someone trying to sell/buy in the MARKET than my chatbox fill up with random conversations of other people. Random conversations do no good for the market but hey, that spammer might be selling something I need in the MARKET. As soon as I step into FMCH1 it is one or the other. Once again, it is a MARKET so I am okay with the "spammer". It doesn't matter if the cool kids decided the front of the store is the cool spot to the loiter, it's still a place of business.

Unix likes this.