Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Katsuruka, Jun 10, 2014.

?

Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

1. Yes, it's fine

36.8%
  2. No, it's really annoying

47.0%
  3. No opinion/mixed feelings

16.2%
  1. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    No need for a new system. They're basically allowing it when a majority have voted against it. But there's no word on whether it's allowed or not. Report for excessive spamming? Don't report? Tell people not to? This decision solves nothing.

Sybe likes this.
  2. Sybe

Sybe Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sybe
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    Would be great if the blacklist actually worked. I guess it's a good somewhat fix for this problem if it'd actually work.

http://gyazo.com/20e101b223e4b015cd4c1e57f4614fcf

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Liek likes this.
  3. maggles

maggles Donator

Guild:
    synergy
    I would hate to see spamming in FM become a bannable offence, especially when most people (it's sadly true) don't check the ToC.

4. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    Most people said they don't necessarily agree that it's bannable. A mute would suffice just fine.

JackDaneils and Katsuruka like this.
  5. Katsuruka

Katsuruka Donator

Could other people confirm that blacklisting doesn't work, please?

6. maggles

maggles Donator

Guild:
    synergy
    A mute because you didn't know the rules?

Anyone thinking this was a nostalgic gMS server would spam in the FM.

FiteMeM8 likes this.
  7. Doritos

Doritos Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    RoughKnight
    1st: Warning, 2nd: mute, 3rd: temp ban. What's wrong with that order?

Rob, MoldyFile and Tentomon like this.
  8. Manny

Manny Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Manny
    Level:
    xxx
    Guild:
    Radio
    I'm sure if the rule was implemented, it would be immediately added to the ToC, whether the players take the time to go read them or not shouldn't matter to the GM's/Admins.

IMO I believe the onus is on the players to know what the ToC are.

9. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    For every other rule it's up to the players to know it, not the other way around. We don't excuse people who vote abuse simply because they were unaware of the rules. This is a private server, not GMS, the rules are gonna differ and it's up to the players to read the T&C before they sign up. We all agree to them upon sign up, there's no reason we shouldn't know them.

Also there's already a rule against "Spamming and flooding", it's rule 13. I've mentioned this many times in the thread and it's consistently ignored.

JackDaneils likes this.
  10. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    The votes and posts here clearly show that if a decision is made by the GM's then people will be pissed off whether they get muted or get left to spam. So if we get the blacklist feature working properly then people who don't like it can just mute the people themselves if they really do not want to change channels or hang out somewhere quieter instead. Not to mention I think it is also something GM's shouldn't have to get involved with so that we can try to spend our time sorting out much more important issues.

JackDaneils, Imkziza, Unix and 2 others like this.
  11. JackDaneils

JackDaneils Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Francine
    Level:
    I accidently hit the wrong tick on the poll but I think it's better to just state my personal opinion.

I personally think if chalkboards can be invested in by spending a measling 1k nx that can be obtained easily every 12 hours, then there should be no reason in spending the hassle in creating a macro (or chat bug [it was considered a bug in GMS that no staff member cared about obviously]) to piss people off. Not to mension, the chalkboard doesn't need 10 minutes to make the macro. It takes as little as 15 seconds to type what you're interested in buying or selling on your chalkboard then afk or chat with your friends, fix chalkboards.

To my eyes, the main purpose is to just piss people off. Just like what Chicken Stix says, it is technically a rule; it technically can be avoided by spending 1k nx. But I also agree that it should not be a bannable offence. Mutes suffice just fine. Is it possible to add auto-mutes? It would make sense if some one has said 200 things in a row with only 1 character changing in each comment.

If the blacklist function were to be fixed (it never worked in GMS) then the blacklist capacity should be expanded. I could think of way more than 26 people that I don't want to hear from.

12. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    So you decide to piss off more than 50% of the community when less than one third are ok with the decision? That's bull shit.

And may I add that the black list NEVER worked this way on GMS. It blocked basically everything but all chat. But what about what I brought up about selling stuff via smega and not being able to see their offers? Or if you're selling something in your shop and they whisper you wanting to offer on something? This is NO decision at all.

13. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    I am not pissing off half of the community. I am giving a suggestion to solve the issue so that the least number of people are pissed off. In total just over half the people polled think it should not be allowed, this is not a high enough percentage to warrant it being not allowed. What I have proposed basically solves both sides of the initial argument. If you are worried about missing messages from spammers then don't blacklist them or unblacklist them when you are done trying to converse in the free market entrance. Even if we did decide to start muting players temporarily they wouldn't be able to whisper you anyway. And even if the blacklist feature in the official maplestory didn't work that way, in my opinion it should. Feel free to continue giving feedback though if you can think of a better suggestion.

Unix likes this.
  14. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    No but 32% is a high enough percentage to outweigh the 52% eh? That's some great logic right there. It seems obvious to me that a majority of the community is against needlessly spamming in the FM, but you would continue to allow it. That's what this thread is about, allowing or not allowing spamming. Your decision continues to allow spamming, a proposition only 32% are in favor, if favor of a more popular proposition.

And a one day, or several hour mute won't make much of an impact on muting. It'll send a message that spamming is not allowed and if you do it again a harsher punishment will be exacted upon you. And even warning>mute>temp ban is fine, as it doesn't keep people from trying to sell their goods.

Again I will say, your decision is no decision at all, and it effectively sides with a minority opinion on the issue. So yes, you are pissing off more than half the community (if the poll results can be extrapolated to the full community.) This does not solve any issue in the slightest. It creates a bigger one as you have still failed to respond to my questions. So should we report people who are indignantly spamming? Should we not? What about rule 13? Are we just going to ignore the rule and selectively enforce it?

Blade, Dizz and Sybe like this.
  15. Marty

Marty Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Linyah
    Level:
    I have to agree with Rob here. It's utter nonsense that you're following that minority of 32%, which clearly is way less significant than the majority of 52% that would like to see an already existant rule be enforced. Your logic is, in many ways, flawed, Matt, as Rob clearly pointed out.

I would also like to stress something: Of course it's logical that some rules are enforced more harshly than others due to their importance/significance, but what it's like right now for rule 13 is that it's being entirely neglected, which seems odd to me, considering some of the other rules are enforced in an almost inhuman and autistic way. What is the point of a T&C that clearly states the rules and its respective punishments when some are just neglected? Leave out that rule or don't compile a list of bannable offences, since what is going on right now makes the T&C seem illegitimate.

Edit: Let me also stress something else, which seems to be forgotten: This isn't the official MapleStory! We got a community of 200-300 players online average, which can easily be handled by the staff. If the staff is incapable of handling a thing such as spam, then I'd say the current staff has to be seriously reconsidered, since then you're simply too lazy.

Edit 2: Ty, this must be a joke. If they don't read the T&C, even though they agree to it, then that's their fault. This is in no way a valid argument and I don't even know why you posted this.

Blade and Sybe like this.
  16. Kerners

Kerners Donator

IGN:
    TeddieDuckie
    And not to mention, the people who are actually okay with it have a variety of scenarios that could complicate their "Yes" vote.

In reality, some of them may not actually support the spam, but simply don't feel that it is severe enough to warrant a harsh punishment, so they'd rather vote "Yes" instead despite being annoyed by spam at some point.

Another possible reason is because they might perceive it as part of the "culture of harsh bans" here, which I personally don't think is a valid reason here, since this issue should actually be considered independently and objectively of other issues. There will always people who vote against it, simply for the sake of doing so.

In light of that, to assuage these two camps of "Yes" voters, a well balanced punishment could serve as middle ground for these voters to be turned around. Something along the line of a slap on the wrist: 1st - Reminder, 2nd - Warning, 3rd - Mute

Robb's point is that the "middle ground solution" you offered is not actually hitting the middle ground because while it does allow the naysayers to blacklist spammers, it still allows the spam to manifest itself and get away with it. So for a solution to adequately reach the middle ground, I'd think that it should at least involve some punishment or disincentive towards the more extreme cases.

I understand that punishment of any sort = more work for the staff which should be avoided as far as possible if it's unnecessary, but it is indeed stated in the ToC that spamming is prohibited. So unless this is a revision of that rule, it might be better to keep the status quo (which players report and staff assess) AND add a new guideline regarding FM spam so that mild cases don't get reported and waste the staff's time.

tldr; Solution = Lighter punishment + new guideline and clarification of Spamming rule.

17. PlayHimOff

PlayHimOff Banned

im amazed that this is such a big deal. i can understand if there is a bot sitting in fm spamming 24/7 like there was in gms but thats not the case. every now and then someone comes in the fm and spams s>this@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ for like 5 minutes. what is the issue here? i really dont get it. the blacklist fix is perfect for such a trivial issue

Unix likes this.
  18. Marty

Marty Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Linyah
    Level:
    The issue is that the FM here is more of a social gathering place instead of a market.

Sybe likes this.
  19. Kerners

Kerners Donator

IGN:
    TeddieDuckie
    As more new players join in this summer, especially people from GMS backgrounds who are used to the spam culture, we really don't know how this matter will unfold. Even if spamming is relatively uncommon now, it doesn't mean it is acceptable, and we should always prepare for the matter to escalate especially since the population is growing rapidly.

Hence, it is best that we now engage in this discussion in order to set the precedent clearly from the start, so that there will be no ambiguity in future for all cases related to this. This is why it is a big deal.

20. Sybe

Sybe Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sybe
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    I for one am going to move to a different channel (ch2 probably) for social activity. To leave spammers in ch1. Making it "okay" to spam in ch1, fine. As long as it stays in ch1. I'd like to request if it'd still be against the rules in ch2-8.

Liek and Unix like this.