Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Katsuruka, Jun 10, 2014.

?

Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

1. Yes, it's fine

36.8%
  2. No, it's really annoying

47.0%
  3. No opinion/mixed feelings

16.2%
  1. TotalGlamour

TotalGlamour Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Glamour
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fairytail
    I would never waste 1k nx on a chalk board when i can spend no nx and sell my stuff in all chat:p

Unix likes this.
  2. trash

trash Member

IGN:
    trash
    Level:
    idk
    Guild:
    dominant
    Personally I also have mixed feelings about this as well.

I go to the free market sometimes to sell things, but at the same time I like to loiter there.
    I often see these spams of S> or B> but I don't mind them so much and if I really wanted to socialize with other people I would switch to another channel, should this spam be allowed only Ch 1 and keep it there so if you're trying to socialize you would want to go to another channel and spamming all that stuff wouldn't be allowed there?
    Then again, I may see a lot of people online and I see multiple people with the same lines of text and then I find it acceptable to an extent.
    But at the same time if you go into the Ch 1 FM and see only ONE person spamming the same B>/S> then that should be enforced.

If this server happens to become quite popular and more people start to spam in the FM then I say that rule I stated earlier about you could only spam in Channel 1 is a great idea.

On the side note, I would really like to see the Owl in the nx shop to be working so all those people who are buying can just search it through there and prevent the same line of text over and over again, well that's my input. ~meso

3. Papen

Papen Active Member

50% may not be significant enough.

4. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    The 50% isn't the problem, the 1/3 is the problem. I didn't know it was acceptable to make a decision based on what a third of the population wants.

Marty likes this.
  5. Papen

Papen Active Member

This is only a sample.

6. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    A sample of the whole, and the only sample for which to make a decision off of. So you suggest, after going through the effort of making a thread with a poll, that we through out the information and make a blind decision?

7. Papen

Papen Active Member

This sample could be unfair. Since this community is very small and you are all close, you are more likely to have the same opinions.

8. TotalGlamour

TotalGlamour Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Glamour
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fairytail
    I think this is perfect! The great part about fm is that everyones there, all the new players looking for some help all the older players sitting around chatting with there friends its a great place to sell and socialize and i feel that shouldent change. I am all for selling in fm in a reasonable way as i stated before but for the people who Spam constantly and push what other people are trying to sell up makes it hard for the seller and potiental buyers! Also those @@@@@@@@@'s are ridicioulous! i cant stand them they do nothing for you!

So i understand that matt is saying to blacklist and if it works its an ok idea...but in my opinion it should rely on the community to tell the spammer to stop which they already do, and if it keeps up just type ~gm and notify theres a spammer. The GMs can come take 2 minutes of there time to watch the spammer maybe put a notice that spamming is unacceptable and if the person does not stop then warn them and if they still dont stop then mute them every time they do it after that. I understand the staff has alot more important issues to handle and better things to do but this takes up 1 minute of their time. Yes its annoying for the staff to deal with but its annoying to the commuity just as much.

In the end if matts decion doesent change then we all have to deal with it, honestly fighting about it isent going to do much, just leave your suggestions the staff always reads them.:)

**Yesterday there was someone in fm selling candles spamming my boyfriend and others told them to stop they continued and then procceded to trade my boyfriend ask for mesos he said no because they were in there 50's and then they spammed S>CANDELS to him in the trade box. This is the kind of spammer that needs to be muted because he knows what hes doing is wrong and he doesent give a shit.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Rob likes this.
  9. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    So because it's a small community let's go against what they want? What?

10. Kerners

Kerners Donator

IGN:
    TeddieDuckie
    Firstly, a small community does not mean that its opinion is invalid.

Secondly, not all of us are close, that's a very questionable assumption. The divergence in opinion should already indicate otherwise.

Thirdly, please offer a viable alternative as to how we are going to gauge the public opinion of this server on this ruling, since you feel that this sample is so inadequate.

11. Papen

Papen Active Member

Just because it's what they want it doesn't make it right. There are alternatives. Also 48% may not be significant enough.

12. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    So the community doesn't know what right for themselves? What you're saying is let's have a dictatorship because the dictator knows what's best. And 34% now is significant enough? You're arguments are making less and less sense.

JackDaneils and Marty like this.
  13. illuminate

illuminate Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    illuminate
    Level:
    Guild:
    Queens
    Seriously, spam should not be allowed. While roaming through FM rooms, heading outside to expect a massive spam of advertisement is scary. What if I was talking to my Buddylist or Guild and the chatbox completely fills up with spam on my way to the next FM room? The thought is horrifying.

14. Papen

Papen Active Member

I didn't say 34% was significant. I was saying that because nothing is significant, there is no need to take any action.

Just because there were 17 more votes on no we need to make this bannable, really?

15. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    But there was a majority when the action was taken, now there's a plurality. In any real vote that's significant enough to take action. But the action taken was against what the largest contingent wanted, so how is that legitimate?

16. Papen

Papen Active Member

What was the action?

17. illuminate

illuminate Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    illuminate
    Level:
    Guild:
    Queens
    If spamming is allowed, a lot of players will be annoyed and then only conflict will rise. Flamers will ignite their anger and light spammers on fire. Spammers are therefore incapable of enjoying royals due to hate messages. If spamming was allowed, that is.

How I see it, most spammers are only new players.

JackDaneils and Sybe like this.
  18. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    I've posted my reasonings already and in not going to bother repeating what I have already said. I'd have expected at least 80% in favour of making it not allowed before considering making this a rule. It's nowhere near that really so my decision is still going to stand and we will work to ensure blacklist does indeed block all chat for anyone that wants to force any particular players to be muted to them if they don't quieten down if politely asked to. I still believe that in the future there will be enough people wanting to buy and sell in the fm entrance without relying on their stores for spam in the fm entrance to be a normality. We are just in the midst of a surge in population. Prior to this the population was too low for anyone to bother spamming in the fm or those kinds of players were few and far between.

19. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    If you expect 80% of 100+ people to agree on anything controversial you have another thing coming for you. This will almost never happen.

You still haven't answered my question about reporting or not reporting. What should we do? Oh and you've ignored the fact that it's already a rule! You shouldn't be "considering making this a rule" because it already is! Did you read this thread at all? You of all people should be aware of the T&C seeing as you have the final say in what's a part of it.

Also not allowing it and leaving it up to the GMS's and community to tell people not to spam would probably be a lot easier than coding the blacklist to work the way you want to. There are many more important bugs that need working on to spend time on this. But just leaving it up to the community won't work because there are always people that decide to ignore people politely asking them to stop, like this. Then do we report them?

And finally, sure, one day we may be large enough that the FM is solely used to buy and sell and people will be required to spam. But that is not the case right now, and may never be the case. Of course we're having record numbers of people online, it's summer. In a couple months when everyone goes back to school many people will quit and many more will become inactive, leaving the FM much more empty. What will happen to spamming then? When there's as many or less people there as there are now?

But it doesn't seem like anything will change. You probably won't answer any of my questions and the spamming issue won't be solved...

:lock:

Snake, Marty, JackDaneils and 2 others like this.
  20. JackDaneils

JackDaneils Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Francine
    Level:
    This is a very strong post. 80% of polls is like asking for the impossible. The majority of players have already voted for something that's already against the rules. The players that vote against it are just new people roaming around to piss people off that never bothered reading the ToC. Nonetheless, it's Summer so of course the server popularity is surging. But Summer never lasts forever. I personally think that the dev's time can be spent much more wisely if staff members followed the spamming rule to lightly punish players that refuse to follow the rules that which they agreed on in order to play this server.

The players that are fighting against it also make less sense than people that are all for trying to keep spam out of the FM. Even, yourself Matt, sorry to say that. But going against something that's already the rules. It just doesn't make sense.

I also agree, you Matt of all people should know the ToC. I'm not trying to tackle staff members, but agreeing with the simple stated facts.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Rob likes this.