Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Katsuruka, Jun 10, 2014.

?

Should spamming be allowed in the FM Entrance?

1. Yes, it's fine

36.8%
  2. No, it's really annoying

47.0%
  3. No opinion/mixed feelings

16.2%
  1. Katsuruka

Katsuruka Donator

In response to Saxa's comment about the population of the various channels, I'd like to throw in some statistics gathered by using a GM command to see who is online. This command tells us the names of the players who are online, which channel they are on, and how many people are on each channel. The statistics below are pretty much representative of how things are at any given time on any given day:

Channel 1 - 142 online
    Channel 2 - 22 online
    Channel 3 - 19 online
    Channel 4 - 22 online
    Channel 5 - 23 online
    Channel 6 - 25 online
    Channel 7 - 20 online
    Channel 8 - 21 online

Tentomon likes this.
  2. Tentomon

Tentomon Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CaptainHeidi
    Level:
    I think people misunderstand the visualization on the channel select screen when you first log on. The amount of players that is required to make a channel bar full seems to be relatively low.

Katsuruka likes this.
  3. bluemoon

bluemoon Well-Known Member

first, we alrdy established the fact the fm population is quite small for any chat to be difficult to be seen. I put forth that even if some1 were to spam S>B> @@@@@@@@@@@@@, another person's chat would not be cover, so people will still get the message even if a person spams. How is spamming not part of the game, u people only consider people that repeatedly chatting for selling/buying, but have consider urself? Take Glue for example she spams b TALKING yea thats rite talking, is that consider spamming? I don't any does, yet this same action turning over seller/buyer is consider spamming. @ chickens, i didin't make any rule up just to fit my own argument, im only quoting Gm Matt if u read my post. He counter ur statement saying the T&C has forbidden spamming, by pointing out it was only concerning smegas. And i actually c more people selling/buying stuff in fm. I don't consider afks as people their to be socializing.

4. xSlain

xSlain Member

IGN:
    xSlain
    Level:
    10x
    Guild:
    Extravagance
    Bluemoon,

The majority is not against buying and selling in fm, they are against spamming. Buying and selling does not equal spamming. Even repeatedly chatting is not spamming, so long as its repeated at a reasonable interval (maybe every 8-10 secs or so) and doesn't flood the chatbox. Spamming is when one person fills the whole chatbox with S>@@@@@@ or B>@@@@@ to the point where no other person's message can be seen. Also, as stated many times in this thread, spamming was a way in gms to get your message seen due to the large population. In royals, I don't feel that the same competition exists to have your messages seen because the population is not as large. Please consider these points. Why do you think spamming is necessary?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  5. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    I'm saying Matt is changing rule, not you, to fit what he wants. If it was about smega's why not say so? If the rule was intended to be only about smegas they should have specified, because otherwise it's about all spamming. It's downright wrong to change a rule after the fact to fit your needs. That's like a congressman wanting to change a law about speeding after getting a speeding ticket.

6. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    I had an entire post written out when I accidentally clicked a bookmark and lost it all.
    In the mean time do you really consider this to be necessary?
    http://i.imgur.com/ylxz0l7.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/DRDvYVO.jpg
    http://grabilla.com/04611-58ceb423-89a3-42ba-8949-0e6c9ee1bacb.png
    http://i.gyazo.com/39a7bf83e12e02c3d4e927712ecd7772.png
    http://i.gyazo.com/eaf0de206c93a8e1b73dc7d0febcaa4e.png

It's part of the game in original GMS. Our gameplay here on Royals is different, obviously. We crack down on hackers much more than I've ever seen in GMS. Smegas are freely dropped by mobs. People actively hang out in the free market and spamming is not necessary there with the low amount of buyers/sellers.
    Personally I only go into the FM to do trades. I ask a gulidie: "Hey I need pet food but I'm at coolies, can you pick me up some?"
    or: "I'm out of pots, anyone in NLC? Yeah? Thanks, I need 500 barbarian elixers, I'll pay you back"
    and we meet in the FM. I go there to check if I've sold anything, and occasionally I go and hang out with a friend. But most of the time it's just transaction related- but even then spam makes it near impossible to conduct trades. If I'm in whisper with someone offering to buy something of theirs, and they're just spamming away- then my whispers go unseen. If someone smega's they're selling something, but someone is just spamming away the entire screen- then I won't see it.

I like Kat's suggestion the best.
    http://royals.ms/forum/showpost.php?p=48399&postcount=125

7. DemSheddy

DemSheddy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Dynancix
    Level:
    14x
    Guild:
    Boobs
    HOW IS SPAMMING NOT PART OF THE GAME? LMAO
    Whoa, this man is thinking that spamming is part of the gameplay!
    Well, we really should change all our Gtop and UPS advertisments to:
    " Join MapleRoyals! 4x EXP, 4x Meso and 2x Drop! What's more, you will get spammed! Join us for oh, such a unique gameplay!"
    ... Do you realize how stupid your arguements are?
    And if people do spam, the other players who try to socialize CANNOT get their message across, opposed to what you say.
    I think you haven't seen how high-speed spamming is like in Royals yet.

8. bluemoon

bluemoon Well-Known Member

I'm in fm all the time, i haven't seen any spamming so ridiculous like u guise described. "Repeatedly talking is not spamming" lawl thats spamming. And the pics u posted, how do we no if those were all in one sec? You will get spammed? lmao this is only in free market not the whole entire royal.

9. xSlain

xSlain Member

IGN:
    xSlain
    Level:
    10x
    Guild:
    Extravagance
    Just because you don't see the ridiculous spamming doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Do you think such spamming should be allowed? Also, I said "chatting" as in people conversing with one another. And yes we know it is in the free market, not all of royals..hence the title of this thread. It seems like you have a different idea of what spamming is. What exactly do you consider spamming?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    DemSheddy and Virtumonde like this.
  10. DemSheddy

DemSheddy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Dynancix
    Level:
    14x
    Guild:
    Boobs
    lol you can see similar texts in the first 2 screenshots.
    By the way, does it matter if it's within the same second or the same minute? The fact is, spamming is still there at that time. And you can clearly see through the screenshots that people are so desperately trying to stop them but to no avail. Why? Because they are trying their very best to socialize with others, but the spammers are hindering them. The people get annoyed and they try to stop them. But, they don't even stop spamming. And no other place is as easy as to socialize than the FM.
    Your arguement is just blatantly pointless. Don't even try.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  11. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    I was trying to stay away from this thread as much as possible but since someone just had to revive it I guess I'll go on a big rant. I went through every page and read every post trying to compile the reasoning's to allow spamming in the FM and refute them.

1) IT'S A FREE MARKET! That's where you buy and sell goods!
    Yes, it's a free market, great observation! Yes, it's the place to go to buy and sell good. That doesn't mean you have to spam. There are many ways to buy and sell goods including but not limited to setting up a shop, smegaing, saying B>/S> in chat, using a chalkboard to say B>/S>, or using the forums. No one is telling anyone that they can't do this. They're just asking that you kindly refrain from spamming out the chat with @@@@@@ or from saying it in quick succession.

2) People who haven't bought a shop yet or don't have smega's or can't find something in the FM need to use the entrance.
    Yes, and they're free to do so. No one is stopping anyone from buying or selling items in the FM entrance, we just want the spam to be held in check. But it doesn't take long to save up for a shop (two days), and on the second day you can get a shop AND a chalkboard.

3) Spamming is a means of advertising your wares.
    Yes, but it's far from the only way. You can advertise in all chat without spamming. I see people do it all the time. Saying B> Axe 30% every 20 seconds gets your message out just as much and is more efficient. And again, you can use smega's or chalkboards as well.

4) There are people screaming at you in real life markets.
    Yes, they scream so they're heard over the person next to them, who is also screaming and competing with you. Here someone buying or selling goods in the FM doesn't need to be heard over anyone else UNLESS someone is spamming. If one person starts spamming, then everyone needs to start spamming, but at this point no one needs to spam to be heard over anyone else. Allowing spamming will lead to a chain reaction of more spamming, not permitting it will allow everyone to say what they want and still be able to read what others are saying.

5) It was like this in GMS.
    Yes, it was, but is this GMS? Do you see hundreds of people in one room competing to buy and sell goods? It's like I said in the previous point, in FM channel 1 in GMS you NEEDED to spam in order to be heard, just like in some markets in real life, but here it's far from being needed.

6) Spamming is a part of the game.
    No, no it's not. Using heal to kill undead monsters is. Having a main and sub stat is. A DPS class being naturally squishy is. But spamming is not. Spamming is a player made attribute that is not a fundamental part of the game.

7) People don't want to or have the time to look through the growing FM.
    In one word, Owls. In more than a word, if you're willing to spend time spamming in the FM entrance then you have time to look through the FM. And if you don't want to look through the FM, but you're willing to spam in the entrance, then you're more than likely wasting your time. You're more likely to find what you're looking for by looking through the FM because not everyone who sets up a shop sits in the FM. Most people set up and leave. Yes, you will reach out to the people who are in the FM entrance at the time, but you don't need to spam for them to see your message.

8) One day it will be necessary when the server is large enough for people to need to spam in the FM.
    This is a very good possibility, but won't necessarily happen. We're having a large influx of players because it's summer. People are out of school and suddenly have a lot more free time to play games. When fall comes around again a lot of people will quit to focus on their studies. Yes, the server will be bigger then than it was before summer began, but big enough to require spamming? We shall see. If the server does become that large then sure, spam away. A day may come when we need to spam...
    [​IMG]

9) Go somewhere else!
    Basically, GTFO! Why should we? Socializers were here first, why should they be pushed out? Just like a person who comes to a map first has rights to it until she/he leaves shouldn't the people using the FM to socialize have the rights to it? "But it's a free market!" See point #1. One reason many people use the free market to sell goods is because it's the map with the most people on it, meaning they can advertise to the greatest number of people without using a smega. If all the socializers went elsewhere the spammers would be talking to a sea of AFKers and a few other spammers. That's not an ideal situation to buy or sell. So, like anyone else with a brain, they will start to migrate to where people will hear their message, where ever the new hang out place is. Problem unsolved.

I could say more, but I've done a lot of writing today. I may come back and edit it later but most likely not. Basically everyone agree's that Kat's idea is a good one. Let's try it and see how it goes and leave this thread to die.

:lock:

Doritos, xSlain, Kerners and 2 others like this.