Removal of FM Button - 8 months later

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Tommy, Aug 19, 2017.

?

Do you approve of the decision to remove the FM button?

1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No

313 vote(s)
    83.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynna

Lynna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lynna
    Just wonder this feedback would be take as consider or just discuss for fun since the results so obvious

2. Nes

Nes Donator

Right? Making it tougher to use buff mules just further disadvantages grinders in relation to people who buy leech or do the majority of their leveling via bossing. Also makes it tougher to party optimally since I've got to worry about keeping multiple clients in/out of cash shop or party in order to make sure both I and the person I'm training with aren't losing exp to mules.

Not only that, I'm less likely to even start grinding in the first place since I have to move around multiple characters in order to grind (which makes using different maps less convenient as well...I like to switch things up.) In old source, I'd just alternate between afk'ing in FM to chat with guildies and grinding on my map of choice...now I just stick to discord and don't bother logging in.

3. OrcaGel

OrcaGel Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    crocogator
    Level:
    This entire game is based on wasting time to reach certain goals. If you make it too hard people get impatient and if you make it too easy the goals reached aren't as fulfilling; in the end both players quit after a short time.

The "fun" in this game people mention so much comes mostly from progress and competition. We like seeing our character grow socially and physically because it makes us feel good thinking we keep improving based on the work we put in. The reason some people hate leeching, skipped boat rides and fm button is because they feel the end game for too many players comes in too fast making more people quit and the game stale. Why don't most people play 400exp-2000exp servers? It's cause the end game comes very fast for most players so it's very unfulfilling. This is why we have so many private servers, because everyone is trying to find that sweet spot where it's not too quick or too long. And one of the important points of a ps is how the owner restricts the players freedom.

Thats the reason to disable things like 2exp and fm button, and as a warrior without a mount I'm fine with the button never coming back because these little traveling inconveniences prolong progress a little more which makes reaching a goal the more better. It's not so much a hassle to make or break most people's will to keep playing.

There are private servers that allow so much freedom and convenience (infinite fj, rebirths, all in one shop, all in one spinel warp) and those servers lose players very quickly and end up closing.

As much as a lot of people hate to admit it, competition is very relevant to almost every player. There's a sense of ego and pride to reach certain levels, damage, money, equipment and playing a beginner. There is nothing wrong with that since progress and ego help drive players to reaching their goals and that pushes people to take quicker paths. You can say "bring back the fm, those who don't want it can walk." But people who dislike the button still don't want to laggy behind so they'll use the button as well. Well, why not have a single that can transport you anywhere on maple including the fm? "Well those who don't want it can Walk" same logic. If mapleroyals made a poll to give every player an option to switch from 4exp to 12exp and any number inbetween at anytime, would you pick

A. Great idea, everyone has the option to either waste less time or more and play how they want.

Or

B. Bad idea, don't give players that option.

I wouldnt want royals becoming more spoiled than it is so disabling fm button and mandatory boat rides is as good for me.

sparky95 and Bean like this.
  4. KimchiFriedRice

KimchiFriedRice Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    FriedKoko
    Level:
    16x
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    If we take a sec and look at the poll results above, its 40 votes to 170 votes - meaning your opinion is in the minority and the majority of the players think otherwise. Not saying your opinion is irrelevant, but whoever said "if you don't like it, don't use it" - thumbs up to you because I agree.

P.S: Have you tried running from ob4 to freemarket and then back to ob4 (as a warrior w/o mount), because you had some important 2b+ trade with another player taking place? Struggle is r3@1

5. OrcaGel

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    crocogator
    Level:
    I don't really care for much about the votes, because it's the posts with the ideas. I was posting how everyone has a stoppage point of conveniences they want added and ones they disagree with. Most people want the FM button because most people want more convenience, but the ideas of the masses isn't always best for the game as a whole. Whether it's 2x exp coupons which almost no one wants or boat rides we all have our own sense of what doesn't feel right when adding or removing conveniences.

I was stubborn a year ago in the fact that I refused to get speed equips or any kind of travel hog so I reached 16x on my hero before finally caving in and getting a mount. It does suck if you can't make deadlines you really want to, but I like to think it all reflects on my planning, luck and choice of class.

6. OrcaGel

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    crocogator
    Level:
    I was on global from when ludi was released till that chaos patch, but I'm not really for discussing how close to the original royals should be or any nostalgia factor. I don't like leeching cause of usual arguments for it, I do use it however. I definitely don't like HP washing and I still use that. To me it made no sense that archers and assassins with enough effort and money can survive as well or even better than warriors against high damaging bosses while maintaining their damage, but warriors have no chance vs Showa bosses. But leeching and hp washing is has been part of the players in this server for years so you really can't get rid of it. Given the choices most people including me will take the better one, but that's on the owner if he wants to remove certain freedoms to slow the maple journey or increase variety.

Boatrides

When I said fulfilled I think of the whole experience not just getting off the boat and feeling that it's over, constantly being FORCED to do things the annoying way, because it makes me remember why I chose this server vs another one. Everyone's options were limited enough to force some kind of atmosphere, social activity and appreciation in progress. I don't really agree with the fast past rocks either so not feeling up to talking about that. I'm not saying boat rides gives all the sense of satisfaction by itself, but as a whole I just feel it does. It's annoying definitely, but I wouldn't want that part of the game just ignored like a lot of things already are.

FM button

I really don't pay much mind to the votes, because the owner should just pick the best posts and ideas he finds best to help the server overall, and a large number that says xxx people want this doesn't seem like a great idea. If he sees 91% of the posts giving amazing reasons for wanting the fm button then he can go for it. He shouldn't just look at a "Should we allow infinite Zakum attempts?" poll with 60% upvotes and think "Yes, let's do that."

I only had to read 4 posts that said they wanted the FM button back for convenience so some people really do want it back for that reason, but that's definitely not the only reason. FM button is a convenience tool, let's you sit at the FM safely while talking to friends, trading, shopping, get your buffs in all while back into the portal to continue training. I have 3 buff mules that I can no longer use in ToT because of the fm button dying, for me it just means I have to work around that limitation or not. For me I like Maplestory not just cause I had to take my time with it, but others as well. We like to think we don't care how others play if it doesn't directly affect us, but it really does. FM button to me solved a lot of my headaches, but those headaches served its uses to help me appreciate the whole journey. It's a very minimal topic, but I don't want the FM button the same way some people don't want 2exp coupons. It just speeds up the game as a whole. If they do bring it then I'll just use it like everyone else.

7. zoeng

zoeng Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Long read. Not gonna parrot what has already been said etc etc. So here's my plea for bringing back the FM button.

I'm old...like nearly 40 years old. There's lesser and lesser time for me to be on this game and what little time I have, I'd like to dedicate to getting that EXP bar moving. Having the FM button convenience to quickly "run in-game errands" was really nice. It allows me to focus on that EXP bar mentioned earlier, which was limited by RL commitments.

So yeah, if anything, please bring back to button for us old(ish) folks, who just wanna see some numbers move on their EXP bar with whatever limited time we have stolen from RL. Please? :)

PrettyLights, rustygreen, Eli and 2 others like this.
  8. Coryn

Coryn Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Coryn
    Level:
    17x
    Guild:
    Divinity
    Not to judge you nor am I saying that I wouldn't want the FM button back but isn't 'just seeing that EXP bar move' exactly the reason why we don't play the regular maplestory ?

The old Maple was all about socializing and making friends. Again, you do what you like on the server but it sounds strange that that is the only thing you want :).

9. zoeng

zoeng Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Hi Coryn,

Well that was the compressed version of it, but yeah, I did enjoy popping in the FM every now and then to see my fellow guildies and socialize too. EXP bar moving, for me, is addictive. I started on MapleGlobal, before the split it to MSEA for fellow Malaysians and what not. I NEVER, got past 3rd job in all those. I'm super happy I managed 4th job on Royals and I'm setting goals to be better (skills).

So yeah, I enjoyed (still enjoying it) Royals and I enjoyed the FM button. Please bring it back :)

10. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    Statistically fallacy. 200ish is not only insufficient to qualify as a cross section of the entire server (there are people 120+ easily who have never made a forum account.), but there are people who just don't care about voting, and the polls are asking absolutes. People may be voting yes or not for wanting a small part of the button back, or only wanted a small part of it removed (buff mules for example).

The reality of it is, is while 170 is the majority, 200 in still a minority.

Bean likes this.
  11. KimchiFriedRice

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    FriedKoko
    Level:
    16x
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    Hmm lets see. For example, when new governments are being voted in, do they count the people that didn't vote as well to tell the difference between majority and minority? NO. They only count the votes that people took the time to think and discuss what they believe is the best for their country. Clearly this is the majority of thr players that think it should not have been removed.

For the players that did not vote, you shouldn't be counting them to differentiate majority and minority groups. They're on neutral grounds. Just like thousands of youth/young adults that do not vote, same situation. You ONLY COUNT the votes that has been voted.

So no. The players that have voted against the fm removal after the 8 month is in the majority.

PrettyLights and David2016 like this.
  12. Meri

Meri Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Meridia
    Level:
    I will not post my arguments for why it should return. Plenty of people in this thread have already posted tremendously good reasoning. If the administration chooses to ignore them because they value their opinions more highly than the collective opinions of the community, that is on them.

What I will say is that, given that the main argument against the FM button seems to be buff mules, then why not make all buffs except Magic Guard and of course item buffs remove when exiting the FM? Regardless, any buff mule can very easily be used in the map by just making your last spoken lines /partyinvite x /partyexpel x and just press UP + Enter twice every 3 minutes.

13. Zenoooo

Zenoooo Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Jan 2015
    Level:
    -
    Guild:
    Oct 2017
    Also according to BBC news, "participation has hovered between 48% and 57% in US presidential elections since 1980."
    44+185=229 have voted in this thread, while there are 473 readers. So the percentage is 48.3%. This is not a small number.

14. Coryn

Coryn Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Coryn
    Level:
    17x
    Guild:
    Divinity
    I'm sorry but that's not how it works.
    Let's say they want to know how many people are righthanded in the world. It is known that 93% of the people are righthanded. It is not like they have gone around and asked 7 billion people which hand they use.
    That's why you use a sample. A sample of 200+ votes sounds reasonable to me.

StrickBan, rustygreen, Nessi and 3 others like this.
  15. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    We're not talking a population of millions.

You also completely glazed over the part about how all it is is Yes, or No. There is no break down or explanation of WHY. Some people who vote for the social aspect of the button and don't want/dont care about the other parts, does not mean everyone who votes is "yes, we want all of it", they are "yes, because I want part of it back". and I'm not saying the people who don't vote are for the removal of the button, I'm saying 200 people IS a minority of total players. Literally, that is it. I also said there are players who browse the forums and play the game and people who play and dont browse the forum. This poll is NOT, objectively, an accurate cross section of the Mapleroyals player base.

I'm coming from a background where ANY ambiguity is in favor of parties not involved/for whatever the poll is for. That is how it's done in research, science, and law. These standards prevent bias, prevent skewing of data, they ensure the information that is gathered is accurate and representative of what was being studied. This poll is not sufficient IMO. It would not hold up beyond a subjective opinion of what people want.

This is a completely different issue, not an issue of completely random chance (discluding people who become ambidexterious), people choose how they feel about the button, it changes, it can be influenced, people learn, they change their mind. People don't wake up after a night of contemplation and say "I'm left handed now".

Bean likes this.
  16. Coryn

Coryn Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Coryn
    Level:
    17x
    Guild:
    Divinity
    That's not my point though. What I want to say is that 200 people is a good sample to represent the server. There is no way you will get 2000 votes on here.
    Now I've got full confidence in the admins and leaders of Mapleroyals. I'm not saying that these votes should decide what happens with the server, although they should be taken into account when the leaders discuss the direction of Mapleroyals.

17. KimchiFriedRice

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    FriedKoko
    Level:
    16x
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    Sure its not millions, but you can't just disregard the current votes because its on a smaller scale.

Also, there is a why. Go read all 3 pages of why. And this poll is specifically about whether or not if we approve of the admin's decision to remove the fm button. The players that have posted before me, have all explained with their reasons. This thread is specifically about if we agree or disagree. So its a complete yes or no question. Why is it so hard for you?

Currently 45-186 votes. How is this still not sufficient information. Or are you completely against acknowledging that the majority has spoken already.

Also, would like to point out (correct me if I'm wrong) Admin Matt does not play this game anymore? I'm sure he hears feedbacks through players/staff, but there's a difference from playing the game and hearing feedback from players that plays this game.

UpdateDelay, zoeng and FireHeart like this.
  18. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    I'm not stupid.. I know theres 3 pages of responses. I'm saying the poll is only yes or no.

I'm assuming you've read the responses, you don't see there's a lot of grey responses between yes and no...? lol

Also, I don't think it's fair for you to throw me under the bus of "the majority if spoken so why don't you acknowledge it", because I don't believe the poll is fair and comprehensive.

Edit:
    If I made a poll asking if you like deserts , yes or no, you cannot say ANYTHING about what deserts. The same works here. People said yes, you have ZERO evidence beyond what has been responded (what, like <40 posts), to say anything about those Yes or No's.

That is my issues. It is completely separate of the button issue. It is for all purposes, bad research. Poor method, and poor execution, and poor analysis due to the nature of the poll. That is all.

My views on the button have changed, I just think there is a better way to poll the masses, with a more accurate poll, that is all.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  19. PerfectSin

PerfectSin Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CrticalError
    Level:
    Guild:
    Cloudy
    And ultimately you either:
    A) Approve of the removal of the FM Button
    B) Disapprove of the removal of the FM Button

There may be differences in what people can live with and live without. Either way, they either agree or disagree with its removal.

Rob, David2016 and KimchiFriedRice like this.
  20. KimchiFriedRice

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    FriedKoko
    Level:
    16x
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    This. Either agree with or disagree with. Which is what I was trying to get to you in my last post. @Evan

David2016 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.