Removal of FM Button - 8 months later

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Tommy, Aug 19, 2017.

?

Do you approve of the decision to remove the FM button?

1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No

313 vote(s)
    83.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kleric

Kleric Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Jero
    I enjoy the shift of atmosphere this game has had since the new source, which I presume is largely because of the removal of the FM button.
    By that, I mean Henesys Hoe's are back!

That's my personal +1 to the minority of this controversy~

David2016 likes this.
  2. irmy

irmy Donator

Guild:
    CLOWNTOWN
    Whether you meant that comment as a joke or not, it was pretty pathetic of you to say. YOU are a member of staff and saying that you enjoy people (the players) being inconvenienced is pretty strange. Why are you even in staff with that kind of mindset?

GoToHeal, Gags, Emi.Lize and 32 others like this.
  3. Vatsug

Vatsug Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Vatsug
    Level:
    Guild:
    Cerulean
    When I came back recently after a 1 year break, the lack of the FM button was the first thing I noticed. I thought of how that would change my experience of the game, then I uninstalled (no joke).

I wanted to play maple because it's "chill", needed a break from RTS and FPS stress. So I tried a couple of other servers, they have their own good ideas - I'm not here to advertise. The only reason I came back to Royals was because other servers are "p2w".

Just kill your pride already and give us back the good old FM button. Sure, the population holds up, but you could have more with a simple change. If you've ever read a steam game review, pissing off the community, or simply not listening to it has never worked out that well in the long run.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    MajoraMask, Someone and David2016 like this.
  4. Kai

Kai Donator

Truth be told (can't remember if I responded to this thread before), I miss the FM button, and I hope it'll be brought back.

maggles, MajoraMask, GoToHeal and 6 others like this.
  5. PerfectSin

PerfectSin Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CrticalError
    Level:
    Guild:
    Cloudy
    [​IMG]
    SoonTM

Jooon, MajoraMask, FNCKikaz and 7 others like this.
  6. StrickBan

StrickBan Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    StrickBan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Envy
    Did you know a sample of a few hundreds or thousands can be representative for a population of millions? Like @FireHeart already brilliantly showed you with numbers, a 250 people sample IS representative for Royals' population (Let's assume 10k based on 8k daily votes).

Let's say we wanna find the sample size for the proportion given (81% to 19%), with a confidence level of 95% and a margin error of 5% (making the confidence interval 76%-86%)
    upload_2017-9-23_11-45-27.png
    ME = 0.05
    Z(0.95) = 1.96
    p = 0.81
    n = to be found

so
    n = 0.81(0.19)/(0.05/1.96)^2
    n = 237

The thing is, if put into a calculator, the sample size of 237 for the example given is representative for a population of 1,000,000+.

Part of what you're saying is true: some people don't go into forums and some people don't care about voting. The problem is that you're saying that as if you were assuming that the people who don't have a forum account or who didn't vote are more likely to have voted "YES", which is wrong. In statistics if the proportion is unknown it will be given a value of 0.5, meaning that yes, some people don't vote or don't go into forums, but it would affect both answers "YES" or "NO" in the same proportion. Also, the question to the poll isn't "Do you want the FM button back?" it's "Do you approve the decision of removing the FM button?". So someone voting obviously has made up their mind weighing the pros and cons (For example, someone thinking "Getting rid of the FM button was great, now I can waste my time walking!! Oh, but I don't like that I can't buff myself at FM anymore. However, walking to FM is a much better change so I'm gonna vote "YES", yay!!)

I'm glad you brought that up. It had been on my mind since then but I didn't say anything (because Royals police). His whole argument started by saying "I'm against bringing it back. Why? Because I like to see people suffer". Since that moment he lost any credibility in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Rob, SodeNoShirayuki, Caro and 13 others like this.
  7. PrettyLights

PrettyLights Donator

IGN:
    PrettyLights
    Level:
    15X
    Guild:
    Legends
    I understand why the FM button was removed, and I would agree if it actually benefited that reason. (Nostalgia, traveling more, exploring, running into people in odd places...). But in reality it has not made any of that happen. When you get down to the nitty gritty - royals plays nothing like original GMS. And thats fine but removing the button is not helping it head in that direction.

I miss the button and dont see the removal was a positive thing. The reasons i agree with have been said several times in here so I won't bother repeating them.. if buffing is an issue there has been some clear and simple resolutions to that. Although fm buffing personally doesnt bother me, i wouldnt be upset if it was removed either.

Bring it back please.

zoeng, David2016 and Vano like this.
  8. Ayane

Ayane Well-Known Member

IGN:
    KnightFrog
    Level:
    Guild:
    Crew
    I kinda got used to it though I see no reason for removing it in the first place. All it does is make you waste time walking (especially if you are grinding in a far map or something)

9. Gryffindor

Gryffindor Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    HellHound
    Level:
    8x
    Guild:
    Balance
    Please give me back the fm button i cant play this game without it .. srsly

David2016 likes this.
  10. coyweng

coyweng Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Coyz
    Level:
    15x
    Guild:
    Ciao RIP
    i really miss it dearly :(( giff fm button

David2016 likes this.
  11. Kleric

Kleric Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Jero
    It has, though. o.o

Perhaps not to you, but overall the feeling I've gotten since it's removal is more familiar to that of how it was in pre-BB GMS.
    Mainly, Henesys Hoes are back. Henesys was utterly barren in the old source, nobody hung out there until now.

12. Michael

Michael Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    17step
    Guild:
    Heroes
    It's clear that some people are happy with the removal of the button, and I don't think anyone should be surprised by that. In any group as large as this one, there will be an individual who likes pretty much any given thing, after all. I think it's really important to note that these people are the large minority - I think it's important for everyone regardless of opinion to notice that. I'm stating that these people are the minority based off the reasonable mathematical extrapolation posed earlier in this thread, but even if that can't be completely trusted because maybe you or I don't actually understand the concepts (guilty as charged!), I'm also stating it because my personal feel based off everyone I've ever spoken to about the topic seems to agree that the majority believes the change was negative.

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their own opinion, wants and needs, but as a collective, we need to be sure we're not sacrificing the many in favor of the few. That simply isn't a healthy thing to do! It's really disappointing to know that you lie in the minority of an issue; you have a reason to feel the way you do about a topic, and knowing that those who disagree with you outnumber you as well can be terrifying. It makes you feel as though you're being attacked, that you're wrong to feel the way you are. Of course, neither of those are the case. It's just rather selfish to impose the will of the minority at the displeasure of the majority, if you think about it. With the lack of a tangible, unhealthy negative to server function, it's unfair to please the minority at the expense of the majority with this choice. And realistically, I believe that any argument that the FM button was any sort of harmful to the server's function can be countered by the utter lack of negativity about the button since the server's inception. Over the years, there was never once an outcry that the FM button made the game too easy, too imbalanced, or anything of the like. Even in this thread, there are many people who are pleased with the change, but it doesn't appear that there was anyone who had a strong argument that the change should have come sooner in the interest of the server or game health. There were other unpopular suggestions over the years that were the correct choice to make - see the Piece of Cracked Dimension change, the Nightmarish Last Days entry limit, and the Horntail expedition limit - but never any real argument in favor of removing the button. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! I think if such a thread existed, it would be an insightful read for anyone interested in this topic. For now, I'll stand with the reasoning that there was no reason for any player to believe that the button was actually causing harm to the server while it existed, whether or not they liked the button, and because of that, removing the button is simply upsetting a lot of people to appease a handful.

The proposed introductions of family warp and teleport rocks are interesting ideas, but they do not really address the core issues of those who are displeased about the button being removed. Reading over the thread shows me that people are most upset with the ease of access to the non-grinding server - that is, the access to socialization, the access to the economy, and the access to being in a safe zone away from the monsters that inhabit the world. Teleport rocks and family warp do indeed make socialization a slight bit easier, but it doesn't encourage congregation so much as it encourages individual rendez-vous, which means that it only covers a small portion of the role of the FM warp formerly served, not the entirety. Other proposed options of a socialization-only warp room leave off the access to the economy, which was indeed a part of the role that the FM warp served, and limiting the ability to use buffs on the warp map has already been stated to be a deterrent to grinding at all, which is a negative to server health that we've been living with since the removal of the warp. All in all, I can personally say I disagree with all proposed substitutes for the FM warp, and I can see dissent among other responses with the options split between others - some will accept the lack of certain parts in favor of having back others, but the large opinion is that something must be changed as it stands.

Given that there have been some realistic responses to the last true staff viewpoint proposed in this thread (August 20th), I was wondering if it would be possible to have an updated staff stance on this issue. The community has responded to the ideas that were given to us and it appears that the vote and the posts are still trending largely towards disagreement with the decision made. I wonder if it would be acceptable to continue with this discussion in a manner where player opinion can be better gauged in a meaningful way - something needs to be done, I think that much is very plainly clear, so can we be informed as to what that might be, or otherwise be involved in the decision-making process, assuming the topic is still ongoing? In essence - is it going to be worth anyone continuing to follow this thread, or should we, the people who are displeased, consider the lack of staff response in the last month as this conversation being closed to all hopes of a remedy to our pains?

13. Goofy

Goofy Donator

IGN:
    Goofy
    Guild:
    Queens
    Solve several problems and make FM button cost money.

Dre, Vatsug, Realizze and 2 others like this.
  14. Jack :3

Jack :3 Donator

IGN:
    xJack
    Level:
    Guild:
    Synergy
    Im pretty sure i was able to tp to people in fm at some point, making it possible to save FM into tp rocks sounds nice to me. Not sure how would coming out of fm work tho :( when i tped to some one in fm i would always end up in perion after that.

15. PerfectSin

PerfectSin Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CrticalError
    Level:
    Guild:
    Cloudy
    9 months without TP Rocks and the FM button already. Begin month 10.

Jooon, StrickBan, Misiek and 6 others like this.
  16. Michael

Michael Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    17step
    Guild:
    Heroes
    I think that this thread a fairly clear message that, more than two months since the last real staff word in this thread and nearly one month since this polite request for an update and meaningful discussion, the community is not being heard on this topic. I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with the outcome of this thread. I'm saddened that 317 individuals took the step to come to the forums and voice their opinions to no result. It's disheartening that there have been four pages of posts detailing how we all feel and our only response is that we haven't waited long enough, and that other unrelated things are coming so we shouldn't be upset.

Honestly, it feels awful that we don't matter. Can't say I'm surprised, though. Here's to an 11th month of being shafted, everyone.

maggles, William, David2016 and 23 others like this.
  17. StrickBan

StrickBan Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    StrickBan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Envy
    I feel the same. I said this in my first reply to this thread:

Sadly I was right because I've waiting 2 months for @Matt's response to my question directed at him:

I would still like to hear how removing the FM button was benefitial to the server.

David2016, Kentavious, Dre and 6 others like this.
  18. Kleric

Kleric Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Jero
    To me, it seemed to have populated the overworld more.
    Hene-hoes!

David2016 likes this.
  19. Rob

Rob Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Robb
    Level:
    Guild:
    Lubs
    @Matt has stated a couple times before that he'd only consider a change if at least 80%+ of voters wanted something. Well, we have the 80%. What's next?

[​IMG]

Penny, David2016, Kentavious and 10 others like this.
  20. 87Karlos

87Karlos Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    87karlos
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    SoonTM
    Btw it’s the month 10th, someone edit the title:3

David2016, Sen, Johnny and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.