Poll: Multi-clienting should be controlled

Discussion in 'Closed' started by kisuza, Jul 9, 2018.

?

Should Multiclient be reviewed?

1. Yes - it kills the human interaction

27 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No - its not that bad

47 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. Screw it - Max yield is everything

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kisuza

kisuza Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Hey guys,

Before going into my points, I want to make it clear that this thread is a SUGGESTION to improve the experience in this server; Im not saying the server will die because of this.

Personally, I am against multiclienting because:
    1. Makes most classes redundant
      • I believe most of you have seen smega's like: R> NL or Sair for duo/trio zak, have SE/SI/HS mules. This means that if you want to play the end-game content as bossing, the only "valid" classes are DPS classes like NL/sair or others. Why bother playing BM/marksman? They have SE mules anyway, the chances of you getting into a party are pretty slim. The only way you can get into parties is to be funded, no chance for new players. I am aware that not EVERYONE in the server does this, but I think this is a flaw to the community.
    2. "Solo" game play
      • Do you still call this game a Role Playing Game if one can do all the roles, by using their own mules? It discourages player interaction for the sake of maximising yield.
      • Soon CWKPQ will be released, which requires 2 of each class. Don't you think its pretty depressing to have a situation where there are only two players (or slightly more to meet the DPS requirement) in the entire PQ? Each of them run 6 clients, so they can maximise their own profit.
    3. Kills the nostalgic experience
      • When was the last time you see "R> attackers for boss, all mules ready" in the official server, back in 2007-ish?
    Having played another server, I think they managed this pretty well. They do allow multiclient; HOWEVER, not in PQs or bosses. This meets the requirement of transferring items, but not killing the social/human interaction of the game, also preserves the definition of RPG (Role Playing Game).

I know, even if multiclienting is not allowed, some can still do this by some third party software or simple multiple PCs. But at least, we will drastically reduce the number of mules, which actually makes a difference. Or to make it stricter/fairer to everyone: make multi-client bossing/PQ a bannable offence.

What do you think?

icedem0n, FuminoAya and David2016 like this.
  2. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    Since it is a suggestion, I'll move it to the Feedback section for discussion there.

3. OrcaGel

OrcaGel Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    crocogator
    Level:
    It won't kill multi-clienting, but if you remove auto pet mp/hp then having mules at certain bosses would be quite a pain. How did the other server stop multi-clients at pq? Did they d/c them?

David2016 and hatebeat like this.
  4. EZFebreezy

EZFebreezy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    EZFebreezy
    I'd suspect that they do something similar to how multiclienting was disallowed at snowman this year, where it won't let in your second+ clients

David2016 likes this.
  5. kisuza

kisuza Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    They had some sort of algorithms, to not allow the players enter the pq.
    My understanding of that server is they are able to track your device ID, so you can't do multiple vote even you have access to multiple wifi/IP addresses. an example of attempting to bring mules into boss:

main char - enters boss as usual
    mule - tries to enter boss map, NPC dialogue: "You may not enter this map with two characters"

6. Dcohen426

Dcohen426 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    iBuccYoFace
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    I somewhat agree with this but at the same time i dont, tbh not every class is always available during boss runs with makes people creating mules so common and when you cant find that specific class then the whole run needs to get canceled. this is not like gms where the player base was a lot more populated and had thousands of other people to pick from. maybe if finding someone for a boss run or pq wasn't so hard then multi clienting would be a problem.

7. nosebleed

nosebleed Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Hard no from ya boi. This is (supposed to be) a gMS-like server and on gMS you could multi-client all you wanted, with whatever classes you wanted. I don't multi-client myself on this server, but with how far it has started to sway from what gMS was like, I don't want to see any more changes that alter the game play from gMS-like to non-gMS like even if they play no role in what I do.

8. OrcaGel

OrcaGel Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    crocogator
    Level:
    So only thing stopping them from doing this is Royal's culture. Alright then.

It's self-fulfilling though. No classes with powerful buffs are around so the higher levels make their own, but because so many of us make our own mules we're not actively recruiting an active player to join us on a run which makes people create those classes less.

It's the same with HB and hp washing. People keep telling ignorant players they don't need to hp wash to fight most bosses, but because a lot of us keep hp washing, we end up not needing hb and Drk's are created less.

9. EZFebreezy

EZFebreezy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    EZFebreezy
    On GMS you couldn't open more than one client a computer.

hatebeat and SirBearLag like this.
  10. SirBearLag

SirBearLag Well-Known Member

Multi-clienting does kill the social aspect a bit. But generally, unless the player base is huge, I think it's necessary. It makes it hard when you only play during the off times, so a lot of people are unavailable, limiting certain resources.

11. Dcohen426

Dcohen426 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    iBuccYoFace
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    The only reason those classes aren’t around is because you got people making mules for those power buffs with makes them completely useless.

hatebeat likes this.
  12. Dcohen426

Dcohen426 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    iBuccYoFace
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    this is exactly what I meant if we had a huge player base then multi client would be a problem

13. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    No, but there was always a way around it. A second computer, software like sandboxie. Which, if it gets reverted, will be what people use again. It also wasn't against the rules, I don't think they thought people would want to multiclient, or be able to, my first maple computer was an early 90's IBM and it struggled with just Maplestory, let alone 2, or even a browser open as well. haha

The current system just allows people to do it without third party software. You'd be surprised how many games nowadays allow you to do it (OSRS/RS3 for one) because they realized, people were going to do it... might as well make it more legit.

As for me, I use multiple clients because I like to stand in a real store while I grind on another character. I can keep a character chilling in FM5CH5 and talk to guildies who also chill there while im on another character grinding. Trading between accounts is a lot easier and safer (no more drop trading and switching accounts.)

@ OP, you're focusing on the bossing aspect, when there's so much more to the game than bossing.

14. nosebleed

Country Flag:
    I used to Anego with every mule under the sun, from PG to SE to HS to a INT NL leeching, and even occasionally a rush mule if KSing somebody who couldn't tank slaps/touch. You sure we were playing the same game? Maybe it wasn't "allowed", but it's one of those things like KSing where it wasn't actually enforced. People would multi-client without consequence.

15. SirBearLag

SirBearLag Well-Known Member

You 100% couldn't. I used to as well using Sandboxie. A lot of earlier PServers (pre actual MS big bang) had the same code, not allowing you to do so. And I agree with Evan, I definitely like the cheaper option of holding a manual shop open instead while playing on my main.

16. Hampa

Hampa Donator

I don't like the idea people who want to do duo/trio runs would simply just main sair instead of nl and not bring mules/dedicated support classes hence there would be no more social interaction than before. I think that people who run in smaller groups often do so because the reward is greater, they have a team of people who are about equally strong so they don't feel like anyone is getting carried and they don't want runs to go to shit because se/sed/bishop dc's/dies or what not which is more common when you're running with people for the first time. If you force people to not bring mules they would not have any incentive to start bringing more people to their run.

17. nosebleed

Country Flag:
    You 100% could, and I did for years. So did my friends/guildmates. Not once did anything happen to us for it. Unless you're talking about the rules, and if that's the case, it doesn't matter because rules like that weren't actually enforced on gMS. I'm not saying the rules allowed it (Idk if they did or not), I'm saying that players could do it, and did do it without consequence. Maybe you didn't, but others like myself did. It's just like using DXWND or w/e it was called to make a resizable windowed mode. Sure, MapleStory didn't "let" you resize the window, but you could, players did, and nothing happened because of it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  18. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    And thus we had to resort to things like this back in the day:
    [​IMG]

Nowadays it will just be virtual machines on a single computer of course... But it's pretty inconvenient nonetheless.

Kai, SirBearLag, camello and 2 others like this.
  19. kisuza

kisuza Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I completely agree, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy, so the only way is to somehow break the chain.
    Based on @Dchen426's model:
    1. Initially, the lack of supply (SE/HS/SI) motivated the creation of buff mules.
    2. The creation of buff mules then reduces the demand of the classes
    3. The players, including me think there is no reason to main those classes because there is no demand of it.
    4. the problem persists, cutting the supply, motivating them to create more mules.
    ::loop::

Looking at the current situation, even if I were to shout as a Bowmaster looking for a party (Therefore creating supply). They would most likely ask for my damage range and then decide whether to take me on board. Because they are aiming to bring minimal amount of party members - Max yield.

Thanks for rekting that for me xD

20. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    Another factor to consider, is that bringing your own buff mules to a boss run rather than another player, means much bigger gains from splits of boss drops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.