Server Wipe?

Discussion in 'Closed' started by nilsrob1, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nilsrob1

nilsrob1 Donator

IGN:
    Lazzy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Gucci
    That's cause most people have already quitted, take into consideration how long the server has been up, I would never think it was such low rates with all the good items ingame atm. The servers been up so long that you farm weeks to just increase your work gloves attack by 1, no more need to be said.

Silent and Mrkaren like this.
  2. nilsrob1

nilsrob1 Donator

IGN:
    Lazzy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Gucci
    You wil get bored of brooding on your items, selling leech for months for that perfect weapon that no one cares about, and once you get it you realize how many hours you just wasted

Silent and Mrkaren like this.
  3. nilsrob1

nilsrob1 Donator

IGN:
    Lazzy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Gucci
    Poor new players starting on the server, first of all the server is so old that every IGN is taken so you'll end up with some kind of snailkillerxx98 IGN.
    You walk around a few minutes and you wil see more players afking than actually playing the game, then you enter FM and you might see 2-3 people talking cause it's so dead, then you check the players around you and almost everyone is high level now, then you log off. This is facts, anyone can logon right now and confirm this.

4. runadamsrun

runadamsrun Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Namakura
    Level:
    Guild:
    [♛] DIVINITY
    If there's something I absolutely love, it's when someone else can put into words the thoughts in my head that I myself can't... well, word as eloquently. (Of course, I especially like reading comments about the magic of MS.)

That's it though. After the New Source when my buddy list averaged 3/92, when my guild basically died... well, I barely even played. Like forreals. I really do feel you, what you're saying, nilsrob1. It was depressing logging on, man. I always said, "Nostalgia in a private server whose sole purpose was nostalgia." Ironic right? It was better at that point to just play League or PoE or whatever. And I did.

But at some point, I started becoming more active. Playing more. Know why that was?

It was me finding my raison d'être. Meeting my, well, special someone lol (the most amazing friend/senpai ever). And having a goal to work towards, then. Yeah, I'm not as far as everyone else, where there's no real way left to progress.

But I'll talk about something else first. I play PoE. In standard league (RIP). And there's these literally perfect items. Like, actually perfect. And they're only craftable after months of work. And you can use an item called the "Mirror of Kalandra" (so rare it's worth about $200 USD, but RWT is bad m'kay) to get a copy. Does it matter to me when my gear is only in the mid-range while everyone else is a demigod? Nah, just means I have something to work towards. But that's just me, ofc.

Back to my main point? This game is like, to me... idk. It's a socializing game through cute sprites and the mini-games are the leveling up and grinding and exploring and bossing and questing.

Find someone, my man. To make this game great for you again. And to make it great for them too. It will make all the difference in your and their experience. I met someone who's like my best friend on here, and it's been a journey. The wildest ride ever. Because whoever said it was right. (Too lazy to quote them because I'm on my phone.) MR is an older game. It won't last forever, and it will die someday. Don't let it go out followed by your regrets or w/e. That's why we're all here on this little pre-BB game.

Ah, but I would like more community or GM events or whatever. Def agree.

Also, why not. @Cecilia you're amazing lol.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    s934, Ayane, nilsrob1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. runadamsrun

runadamsrun Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Namakura
    Level:
    Guild:
    [♛] DIVINITY
    I'm a genius.

Talking about PoE, or Path of Exile. So there are these 3-month temporary leagues where there's super-new content and items and stuff. I'd say 70% of the playerbase is there. And there's standard, where the other 30% is (idk, approximate numbers). And basically, standard is where everything and everyone goes when the leagues end. People play on std because the content and everything does eventually get there, but after the league ends. Because it's the accumulation of years' worth of items and currency, it's super inflated. And everyone is basically a demigod. But... I frankly like it.

On the topic of a separate world, I wouldn't mind it honestly. Maybe like, ladders. Races to 200. Resets every 6 months or year or something, idk. And rewards for Scania. Hmmm it's 11:20 pm and I have to wake up at 5 tomorrow for work. Maybe it's my tired brain talking. xd

6. Shnang

Shnang Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sena
    Level:
    Guild:
    Home
    Played for 3 years.
    Idk but I find chilling in the fm with a lvl200 character more gratifying than a new one. No wiperino pls

Ray, violaceopes, Kentavious and 2 others like this.
  7. nilsrob1

nilsrob1 Donator

IGN:
    Lazzy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Gucci
    Hmm yeah finding someone could be nice and help but I dont do long distance, rather just meet someone, especially when the game is so shit like right now if it was a wipe in the near future then maybe, then i would atleast play again, I had my own guild, at one point we had over 35 online but I still quit.

Mrkaren likes this.
  8. lxlx

lxlx Donator

IGN:
    awlz
    Guild:
    Create
    My boss thanos would like a word with you.

ksnur and Nessi like this.
  9. Dustin

Dustin Donator

Country Flag:
    Well, PoE standard can be seen as similar to Royals in terms of the endgame grind towards highly improbable gear. Last league I decided to play softcore for once, and realized the grind towards gear you would normally never even consider buying on HC (you die, you lose everything anyway) can be fun, but it is definitely more prone to become a tedious grind.

I personally enjoy wipes, restarts and resets a lot. In both Maple and PoE (or any arpg). The early game in MS is nostalgic and can be highly competitive, even if the grind becomes tedious as all hell at certain points until 4th. But, if I were to compare it to PoE leagues (simplified explanation: every1 starts from scratch every 3 months), the competition levels in maplestory just don't ever come close to it.

So yeah, I do have to agree that MS is and always will be a fancy chatbox with the game itself being.. not particularly challenging. I'm quite a competitive person and even I just mostly play Royals to chill out without having to worry about too many things to progress a lil' bit and have some fun.

Long story short, if you feel like you've achieved everything in MR and don't have any new goals to think of; consider playing a game that would satisfy your competitive needs. I know I do. Or if you just love having a fresh start every once in a while to get a chance to show your e-peen, play PoE. In any case, for MR there are still some options to improve incentive and competiveness, like @ilyssia mentioned. But a wipe would overall be a disaster I'm afraid.

Offtopic: I'm actually amazed how there are still people minmaxing and grinding Royals after 5 years. I think it goes to show how attractive the game just is by itself with its colors, gameplay and social aspect.

PaoPao, Nessi, AhLiGaddo and 3 others like this.
  10. nilsrob1

nilsrob1 Donator

IGN:
    Lazzy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Gucci
    Who's the one deciding if there's a wipe or not?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    TimeConsumer and Mrkaren like this.
  11. akash

akash Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    zate
    Level:
    Guild:
    none
    Probably matt, though I am sure all staff members have some say.

nilsrob1 likes this.
  12. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    Ultimately Matt has the final say (as is the case with most things- owner and all), but I would assume this is the sort of thing that would be openly discussed- I say that coming from a place where I would be surprised if it was just dropped without any mention.

Pretty much this. ~f13

There's a reason we call Matt Daddy.

nilsrob1 likes this.
  13. nilsrob1

nilsrob1 Donator

IGN:
    Lazzy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Gucci
    Ey Matt, what's your thought on this, we needa hear from you >:D

TayK likes this.
  14. MeguFire

MeguFire Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    MamaHong
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ohms
    Have a second world (Bera?) but with a twist.
    Make the new world server wipe every year (example, 1st Jan of every year).

So people who join Bera have full knowledge that the server wipes every year.
    And maybe as an incentive to keep playing after wipes, Nx items and voting Nx remains?

I think it'll be interesting to see how such a world will be different from the usual.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    MysticalSt4r likes this.
  15. ccwmpub

ccwmpub Donator

IGN:
    Metabolism
    I like the idea of a second world with routine annual wipe, just for a different competitive vibe. Don't support a wipe of the original server, but it would be really fun to level the playing field and relive the early grind with less emphasis on perfection

16. Force

Force Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SageOfCure
    Tbh I would say it's either all or nothing. Making a 2nd server just splits the community and makes it even worse. Wiping the server is just a bandaid to the core problems anyway.

What really needs to be done to solve the current issues:

1) More end game content (this is always something maplestory lacked in the old days). Need to release pink bean, etc.

2) Less emphasis on HP washing - this is a big turnoff to new players. Either nerf the damage of bosses, or make more HP quests. Imagine a new player comes in wanting to play NL, BM, etc. They are told they need to HP wash or they won't be able to go on boss runs. They then figure out it will cost billions and billions in AP resets and INT gear. On top of that, they need high attack gear to have good enough range to be invited into a boss run. Finally, they'll need to buy leech because they'll have low damage from base INT. Or they can make a mage first. All in all that's like 1 year + of voting for NX if not more. Instant turnoff.

NTR likes this.
  17. Piffy

Piffy Donator

Country Flag:
    Have you tried selling WA140 bow with max mesos? ~f6

ginwolf, yaqzan, Don and 2 others like this.
  18. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    A large part of the problem is the perception people need to wash- which is completely untrue.

nosebleed likes this.
  19. YSOGREEN

YSOGREEN Well-Known Member

IGN:
    YSOGREEN
    this is true. but..

how do u know? u did a survey? players can afk on their main and play other chars :o . You will never know right?

with the latest cwkpq update, i dont think everybody "have everything". How do u define having "almost everything"? one can take more than a year to "have everything". "have everything or almost everything" can also be very subjective based on one's own opinion.

Challenge: a call to someone to participate in a competitive situation or fight to decide who is superior in terms of ability or strength. (definition from Google)
    isnt competing for a higher range a challenge? take a look at the damage range thread. However, some people dont see having a high attack range "superior" so there are some creative challenges like ironman or being the highest level in maple island. You can also create your own challenges such as killing a boss such as zakum or HT blindfolded, depends on how creative u are.

sounds like you here:
    but it doesnt speak for everyone or the majority if u didnt do a poll o_O

u need to stop using "most" if u
    but not being online to observe and play actively. Your problem can be easily solved by finding friends online lmao

im assuming "the current issues" that u are referring to is not having enough active players. If u think that there needs to be more end game content, why players in 2015 are willing to stay in 2016 to continue HT? (the only "end game" content before new source) There are a lot more end game content with toad, shaolin and cwkpq now. I dont see how this can solve the problem. Logically, the decrease in active player count is more of external reasons such as new games that attract lots of players (eg. Fortnite, PUBG and maybe maplestory 2), exam seasons, need for more IRL progression, the list goes on.

Josh, Kentavious, Dudu and 2 others like this.
  20. nosebleed

nosebleed Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Still irks me beyond belief how we made getting higher HP more accessible instead of simply telling people to stop whining and make HB a staple in boss runs like it was back on gMS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.