Nightlord/Shadower nerf

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by sean128309, Apr 2, 2021.

1. sean128309

sean128309 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    WinterWind
    Level:
    Guild:
    Nocturnal
    In update 71 nerf hammer hit hard on those classes.
    I would like to understand how staff made this decision and what positive influences staff hope to bring to our community.

In my opinion, you should always be aiming to make each class showcase its own strenghs, instead of completely destroying what it's proud for.
    Please do convince the community that the changes are legit and will help MapleRoyals grow.

2. -Tommy-

-Tommy- Donator

Country Flag:
    Guild:
    #Valhalla
    Imagine calling this server nostalgic with such changes :admindab:
    After watching some nostalgic maplestory videos i think they doing the opposite of making it nostalgic.
    after running ht with a shadower friend, he called the rope his best friend, they never left each other.

Lion, jaydenlim, onekeystory and 27 others like this.
  3. Raony

Raony Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Twin/Broky
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    This is LoOpEdd, first 200 nl in gms.
    I would like to encourage you guys watch 00:16 seconds of video to 00:21 and 04:56 to 05:09, where he showcase his avoidability without being hit by any mob (this is 2008 OG gms).

Well, if this night lord isn’t nostalgic, I don’t know what it is.
    You guys are killing the server.
    So many quality of life changes, I wish the strength applied to make those could be applied to release a autoban, this server would be a better place to stay.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    chengteng, Lion, Guy631 and 27 others like this.
  4. Kethoe

Kethoe Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DripBrew
    Level:
    Guild:
    Freaky
    I don't understand why the nerf had to be as drastic as it was. NL's don't even have as much avoid as some BMs at the same level.

- How is this nostalgic?
    - Was there any community feedback involved in this decision?

It feels as if this was an unneeded nerf to spite NLs/Shads for whatever reason.

Edit:
    [​IMG]

?? Is this what the OG Maple intended?

Jen123, chengteng, Lion and 25 others like this.
  5. Momo

Momo Donator

Country Flag:
    NEW MapleStory NEW MapleRoyals
    NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.JPG

Jen123, chengteng, Yan and 68 others like this.
  6. KamiOh

KamiOh Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Do you call this improvement? What they are doing is irritating the community.
    These changes do not improve the gameplay, they only hinder those who play a Night Lord.
    As if founding a Night Lord wasn't enough.

sorry my english. ~f8

7. Alstero

Alstero Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Myrmicia
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion~!
    TT30 7m soontm

NoWash, Jen123, Lion and 25 others like this.
  8. Snake

Snake Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Intercourse
    Level:
    The staff keep mentioning transparency and communication as areas of focus within the community. What is the point of the GM blog, community Q&As, and staff initiated feedback threads when multiple changes to the game are made without consulting player feedback beforehand?

In the last few months alone we’ve seen:

- NL avoid nerf
    - mage macro nerf
    - multiple changes to auf
    - PQ nerfs and skills restrictions
    - map/ spawn changes

It’s not clear where the community ever voiced a need for most of these changes nor where these changes were ever proposed to the community before implementation?

These changes have drastic impact on the game play and in game investments players have made. It is demotivating when numerous attempts to over balance the game are made in vacuum by a small, questionable set of staff members, many who have a limited experience with the game.

I’d like to hear from the staff directly on 1) what they were hoping to accomplish with these changes 2) where the community voiced a need for these changes and 3) how they plan to incorporate community feedback after implementing these changes

Jen123, chengteng, jaydenlim and 41 others like this.
  9. Buzz12

Buzz12 Donator

Country Flag:
    3M thx

Lion, jaydenlim, icedem0n and 3 others like this.
  10. Alstero

Alstero Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Myrmicia
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion~!
    Take it free my friend

NoamKing, Lion, jaydenlim and 7 others like this.
  11. GunzGaming

GunzGaming Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    JohnSilver
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    Yea. This felt like it came out of left field. Almost EVERY other change in update 71 was community driven and warranted attention. This goes along with the ineffectiveness and uselessness of the pots/stars price and adjustment.

Yea. NL dps is great. But mostly the "overpowered" label is just perception rather than actual gameplay in my opinion. its easy and boring, but has flashjump and pretty ninja stars. In a few bosses, a mixed party is optimal. NL was fine as is and should have not been touched.

12. Solsticio

Solsticio Donator

IGN:
    AufHaven
    Level:
    ?
    Guild:
    -
    This is my first lenghty post on this forum, incoming wall of text.

For me this amount of nerf goes beyond specific balancing, it can't be helped but to think there's some bias agains't thieves around, most exactly against NL as Shadower while surging on popularity lately it doesn't get "hate" from others as well.

While NLStory does have some reason behind it and our version of maple heavily favours this class, the nerfs are exactly happening because there's huge part of this community that repulses this class to the core.

Surely its not wrong to dislike this class, however let's mention Corsair as an example since theoretically it is #1 DPS albeit against brick walls, one can play Sair for the challenge of being a master of it or simply chill as NightLord without having to worry about ship management.

Yes, NL is easier than Sair but nobody should force you or me to pick either NL or Sair.
    If a dedicated player wants to focus its Sair, fair enough why not? I do respect good sairs same as i respect good DrKs that have to maintain proper Zerk while i use my hero which is more chill.

The problem comes when players that main other classes comes shouting NLStory! NLStory! over and over and over, chill. You don't like NL? Fine, don't play it, just do not try to destroy the class with your arguments because a huge portion of the playerbase favours NLs.

"NL has 9999999dps"
    Yes it has good dps, other classes should receive some adjustments such as DrKs did previously.
    People should also mind what are they creating, don't expect a Marskman (which i argue strongly that they need buffs) to outdmg a NL cuz whatever. Call for improvement not for the destruction of what you do not like.

"But people only R> NL"
    While true that has changed somewhat lately and nothing prevents you from joining like minded individuals, hosting your own runs, sincerely all classes deserves to shine but like i said above not at cost of destroying others for yours to gain the spotlight or a better position,

"But TT macro allows you to use a gazillon clients in between"
    Would you complain about my TT macro and gazillon clients while you are running with me?

A: Yes.
    Then you are a massive hypocrite. Don't run with NLs that are known for doing this then.

B: No.
    Then you indirect benefit from this ability, what's the problem? Live and let it be.

C: I don't run with them.
    Great, as it should be. May your words be always the guideline you follow.

I mention all of this because avoidability guarantees easier runs, more chill gameplay.
    I don't want to be tossed around every 5 seconds, i could've made a Sair and try to min-max my DPS to be best of my ability but its not in me, simple as that and simple as for some people this "so called easy class is not for them at all"

"But NL shouldn't reward lazy people like youuuu"
    Whatever, this is what the class was made for at high lv + washing in Royals because Massive Washing wasn't available but it happened here so?, it should be changed years ago then and not suddenly however most of the so called balance changes lately are just curveballs designed to force you to swap meta instead of introducing new ones.

And before its thrown back at me, yes you can massively wash but the core of the class should never be change drastically like this, NEVER.

Edit: I barely browse this forum outside market section, leave me alone this is just my opinion and i will stand on it no matter what, so if you disagree to each its own as i won't bother wasting my time arguing here.

NoamKing, remko109, Pilou and 32 others like this.
  13. Buzz12

Buzz12 Donator

Country Flag:
    Just a Slogan :)~I am still keeping 2 TT30 which was bought at 680M each....
    like a fool now :'(

Alstero and bibz like this.
  14. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    Although my inner masochistic feelings automatically screamed in joy to see a nerf to NL, the degree of this nerf might have been a bit too severe for the community to accept in a single bite. I always thought it's the rampant vote abuse and RWT that make the stance of end game NLs op, not their ability to afk mid boss. If the bosses are challenging enough, careless NLs with high avoid will still face doom but the availability of heavy washing reduces the difficulties to a kindergarten level. Perhaps the threatening mechanics of bosses can be tweaked to warn the lazy players, mainly thieves, instead of taking away the nostalgic stat attribution. Or maybe, the reversion of shifter % gives enough advantage to substantially cover the missing avoidability. Perhaps staff should share the math to convince the community.

Meanwhile, we should be expecting more professional feedback replies from this community. Staff always emphasized that buffs and nerfs are subjected to reversions if deemed inappropriate. They did mention in the past that changes may be implemented in advance without warning, to test their effects, before discussing the consequent pros/cons. Staff wants a more transparent and communicative relationship with the players but this doesn't mean they must beg for approval from the community vote. This isn't the end of the world fellow NLs.

15. Ayane

Ayane Well-Known Member

IGN:
    KnightFrog
    Level:
    Guild:
    Crew
    The nerf is quite big, my NL had something like 740 avoid or so and now it went down to 480 or something which is barely higher than a level 200 BM
    Shad also got nerfed from this, it used to be by far the best sed mule but now with the lower avoid sed won't be that easy anymore

MoriForest, Buzz12, Abdus and 3 others like this.
  16. EZFebreezy

EZFebreezy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    EZFebreezy
    I would like to know how the new numbers were decided. How many times did the staff team test the values by running nl/shad at popular bosses on the test server? Did they compare how it felt before/after or was it all theoretical? Did they calculate the exact dodge chance differences or were the numbers chosen arbitrarily?

jaydenlim, MoriForest, Charu and 16 others like this.
  17. Dabsta

Dabsta Well-Known Member

Shad is around equal to Bucc and Drk with recent buffs to it so i don't quite understand the nerf here. especially with how having the worst stance is devastating for a melee class.

Abdus, christie97, Metronome and 4 others like this.
  18. jerrysiow

jerrysiow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    AhbuNehNeh
    Level:
    No offence to all my dear warriors and mages this just like an example as I don't understand why need to nerf a class that they suppose to be like that as thief is having a high avoid...

This is the situation to thief right now as if someday mapleroyals decided to nerf as below:

Reduced warrior hp as warrior class having so much of HP and required lesser HP wash than other jobs (like archer and thief). <--- this is ridiculous right as warrior suppose to be higher hp compare to other classes.

Removed or putting cooldown time for area damage of mages because they benefit on doing EPQ compare to other classes struggling on hunting 999 mobs for an example. <-- this is ridiculous right as mages designed as area damage from the design of the game.

wthong0022, LaX321, Charu and 6 others like this.
  19. GermanKiddo

GermanKiddo Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    MazeRunner
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    from 770 avoid to 440 :) happy to see other people share my pain!

I feel like there are other classes out there, who need an adjustment right now-

20. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

Also on a side note, bloodwashed sed mules were BUFFED by this update.

Abdus, Henray17, Doo and 2 others like this.