Forum Over moderation and annoyance to the community

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Donn1e, Jan 18, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Forum Moderator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    Judging by how I have already responded about why I gave the verbal warning & reply-ban + you misunderstood my literal reply as setting you up for reply-ban, there's nothing else I can say and do to convince you
    (you strongly believe I am determined to abuse my forum mods power to get you and Donn1e)

If you feel I am backpedaling, I can only confirm I did not edit my original comments on that thread to twist the narrative

2. Sunrise ^o^

Sunrise ^o^ Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sunrise
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rog Gamer
    I met Dave through Discord, he seems like a good person and he does his job.

Sometimes I do stupid things and he corrects me what I'm doing.

I don't think he abuses his power as a forum moderator (he's just doing his job).

If I have received wp from Dave, I surely made a mistake and I am very sorry.

PD: sorry Ford My bad English

3. GunzGaming

GunzGaming Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    JohnSilver
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    Dann, etumimi, Geto and 5 others like this.
  4. Bacon

Bacon GM

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    BaconLord01
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    *Posting as a player not as staff*

I personally don't know either of the mentioned DRKs and when I read your comment Donn1e I found no purpose in the entire first paragraph of your post. You even stated: "Anyway, thats beside the point." which I would agree with.

I have personally seen Dave issue verbal warnings to numerous users who then get salty when he takes action against them when they mess up/cross the line once again in the future. Since someone brought up common sense at some point in this thread, I'd hope that others would adopt that approach when evaluating posts before blasting them on the forums. It's scary to think that most of us are adults, yet some of us can't even function properly in an online forum environment.

I personally think Dave is doing an excellent job. The fact that Dave has the mental capacity to constantly deal with the cringe drama that gets posted here on a daily basis along with balancing his personal life is surprising. Kudos to you Dave and keep doing what you're doing.

LLew, benkrong, XTC and 31 others like this.
  5. Aeronautics

Aeronautics Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    corgi oshiri
    Level:
    nii
    Guild:
    inus
    disclaimer: what you are about to read is 100% factual and 0% flaming so @Dave Deviluke please think twice before editing my post or removing it (WPs are fine). the points below are closely related to the discussion topic itself and i religiously believe that this is the right time and place to voice my opinion, which nobody asked. my background is:
    • un-good terms with @sparky95
    • un-good terms with @Donn1e
    • i think still friends with @lxlx
    • neutral with @Dave Deviluke even though he sent some WPs to me last xmas or something (i called my black friend the n-word on his profile)
    therefore i insist that i am absolutely neutral here.

let's start with the quote that started it all:
    now i blame my 0.5-off-perfect IELTS reading score (factual, certified) for my inability to understand how the mention of these two names in this manner should provoke such an energetic response from you:
    both players are/were known to be very dedicated drk players (be they good or bad, passion =/= profession) so it is within common expectations that they are mentioned together. the last part of your own sentence should go right back at yourself champ for interpreting that simple sentence in such a malicious way:

both you and @Dave Deviluke 's arguments boil down to each other doing unnecessary stuffs: you de-meriting sparky, calling him a fraud, and dave moderating stuffs that don't need to be moderated. the only difference in your actions is that dave was trying to do his job and you were just insulting sparky. then you framed your actions as simply stating the "facts", well guess what? here are also some facts about you:
    • you are not actually the judge of who is and isn't the drk god of mapleroyals
    • you tried to leverage your "reputation" of being an active feedback forums user to try and wiggle your way out of this one (something something 3-year active user
      lol have you been chatting with @Saledor ???
    • you have a history of manipulating people and as a result was expelled from several guilds before
    • you are giving it your best to ensure that @lxlx 's gears go to you when he quits (lol)
    • your headset is broken before @KenE was born
    • you are male

we get that you love @lxlx a lot and honestly none of us can afford to give more than two-and-a-half flying ducks about what you guys do behind closed curtains but this level of affection, for him, from you surely isn't suit for a thread meant for public discussion. i believe that the only mistake dave made here was not issuing WPs earlier for your initial comment and was lenient enough to let you keep the useful part of your opinion on your much cherished thread.

Q: did @lxlx even mind having his name mentioned alongside sparky?

tfw someone irrelevant from the whole best drk debate throws the best insults based on their opinion alone on a neutral discussion thread angrily:
    [​IMG]
    credits to player: SadShards for this masterpiece

6. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

Fair enough, that's an opinion I accept (but disagree with),but that does not excuse the second part.
    I'm more interested about your response as staff to:
    I know Dave generally does a good job as a mod and does that dirty work nobody else is willing to do,
    However, a heavy handed ban such as this and the way it was handled needs to be addressed by staff and you can't just turn a blind eye to this.
    Things like this should not be repeated and players don't need to waste their time making ban appeals over a ban that will clearly just get reverted, because it had no substance.

In short, my problem is less about if you found what I said toxic or not, but more about how it was handled by Dave.
    Hope im clear now.

Valzer likes this.
  7. xDarkomantis

xDarkomantis Well-Known Member

Guild:
    Akatsuki
    Honestly, if it was brought to me in private then we could have talked about it and it wouldn't have come to this point. However, what Donn1e said in relation to my statement had nothing to do with what I intended to say as I didn't mention their history, only the inclination of them being Top Dark Knight mains who championed the class (this is from my perspective, others might not agree). No one has come to me saying they were triggered/insulted besides Donn1e who brought it up. On the other side, people who understood what I meant don't really want to step forward to say that it wasn't that left field since they're afraid of upsetting Donn1e and the people who surround Donn1e.

When it comes to the Feedback section and talking about balance and things that could be*, I'm just a player who wants to see the betterment of the game for everyone. Maybe I come off as aggressive but my intentions aren't to throw rocks as people would like to think. Anyone who takes the time to talk with me knows that I enjoy playing the game otherwise I'd have left a long time (and wouldn't bother posting).

This issue is overblown. I don't think Dave was doing anything bad or wrong and is doing fine as the only person willing to mod on the forum. Also, I'd prefer his wrist slaps than potentially pushing us into the direction where we're getting WP/bans for actual small stuff.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    Lenick, nomade, Seyu and 2 others like this.
  8. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

Funny how you talk about me not having to insult sparky then you drop this banger.
    I personally don't care what the likes of you (and people in your group) think about me, as you have such a twisted image of me and literally have no idea what you are talking about.
    I am however aware that there is a group of players waiting to dogpile me on their first chance, so I'll just comment on the 2 main things:
    - About past dramas, I wouldn't open that can of worms since there's stuff I wasn't allowed to reveal and was prevented from showing by my previous guild, with a promise for a statement from them.
    Currently, nothing is stopping me from doing it. Those are screenshots that will shed a completely different light on said "manipulation" and will involve many people, some on staff, and will start a shit storm that will simply benefit nobody.
    Not sure what you are trying to achieve by this except trying to insult me, but you do you.
    - Saying I'm trying to inherit @lxlx's gear when:
    1) His gear was offered to me, and I refused.
    2) I don't have a single inheritted item in my possesion (despite having countless opportunities to do so), because that's simply how I chose to play the game.
    I farm, daily, and I get my gear with the meso I farm, and I will never have any gear beyond that.
    Adam and I are good friends, you don't have the slightest idea of what we talk about and how our friendship looks, and it shows.

Your attempts to belittle me like that are honestly disgusting, and I'm very thankful that they don't bother me as much as similar attempts did in the past.
    With that said, hopefully we can move on to a more productive discussion and stop insulting each other, thank you.

lxlx, Takikun and Valzer like this.
  9. Zusti

Zusti Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lemie/Zustee
    Guild:
    Rogue
    benkrong, FuznesS, Taehyunn and 6 others like this.
  10. Tail

Tail Donator

Guild:
    Rogue
    Dear sir @Aeronautics
    I would kindly like to inquire about the background of your current standing with players @Saledor and @KenE aswell as it's important for my interpretation of your 100% valid 100% factual drama-free flame-free completely objective comment.

11. eddymeow

eddymeow Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    eddywoof
    Level:
    Guild:
    Degens
    R>Degens

12. H4xDefender

H4xDefender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    H4xDefender
    context: i don't know really know anybody involved in this whole thing, but i've been lurking forums on and off since 2014

regarding the original comment, i'm honestly surprised you didn't immediately get your post deleted and been given WP on the spot. i thought it was very clear that the original post that mentioned both players was inoffensive, and your comment was completely unnecessary to the rest of your post regarding the proposed adjustment to how zerk works, and added 0 value to the conversation. even if you were really irked by the mention of the 2 players in the same sentence, there were many different ways you could have phrased that part of your comment to be less inflammatory. i think a lot of players (regardless of how true your statement was) would have taken your post as flame if they were the ones being mentioned, and i could easily see it starting a flame war, (doesn't take much to do so around these parts) even if it didn't in this case. while i'm sure many people find reading your feedback posts informative, (myself included) being a consistent poster in the feedback forum should not give you a longer leash than everybody else.

in regards to forum moderation, i haven't noticed nor had any personal recent grievances regarding how it's handled. one of the large reasons i waited so long to post/be somewhat active in forums as of late after being a lurker for so long was honestly because i used to think that the forums were moderated atrociously for the longest time. i felt that established players got away with saying bullshit/thinly-veiled flame comments all the time if they were friends with forum moderators, and players with less "clout" got moderated with a much heavier hand, which left me uninterested in contributing to the forum. on top of all of that, i felt that there was little to no consistency in what threads were allowed to stay up, and what threads were deemed "non productive" and unceremoniously closed. as of late i've felt that the moderation has become better overall, in part because moderators seem less willing to put up with subtle flame comments, which i think is a good thing. in this specific case, i think getting banned over your follow up comment was excessive, but i don't agree at all that dave was trying to bait ixlx into also getting banned, nor do i think he was wrong to call you out for your initial comment

Yingding, Saledor, Fatlip and 3 others like this.
  13. Bacon

Bacon GM

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    BaconLord01
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    I won’t speak on behalf of staff on the matter as its not up to me to review how other staff members are handling their duties. As Dave stated, if you have an issue with how something was handled, report the post and our admins (Matt/Tim) will review the report. I get the sense you’re hunting for a specific answer and I won’t cater to that. Our procedures are clear. If you disagree with something report it and we will review it.

LLew, Saledor, FuznesS and 4 others like this.
  14. Geto

Geto Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Naobito
    Level:
    17x
    Guild:
    Northern
    If there is anything true that was said in this comment (and everything was true tbh), It's this:
    "It's scary to think that most of us are adults, yet some of us can't even function properly in an online forum environment."

Most of us are 18+, would love to believe that It's already 20+ at this point, and we can't function.

We can't avoid cheating, We can't avoid scamming, We can't avoid rule breaking (by we I mean the playerbase who does that, not we as a whole community) and It seems like we act like the 10 y/o children we used to be over a decade ago.

I didn't know Dave quite well up until.. lets say a month ago, and I had a neutral-positive opinion on him, but It just takes like 5 minutes to talk with the guy, to realize he is actually a really cool dude, and someone who just plays by the rules, and he enforce them in a really respectful manner.

Dave ate a lot of shit from some players - he was called racist, he was called biased, he was accused of over-moderating, he was accused of supporting a mass-murder basically just because some people disagreed with his logic and/or opinions (even tho he stayed completely neutral).

I feel like he's the hero we need but not deserve.

It shouldn't be like that.

Players here need to really think about something really simple - The Staff are doing everything they are doing voluntarily. They don't get any paycheck, They don't get payed.

Dave as a person is great and I really like him, and as a moderator he does above and beyond, and here are some few examples:

#1 Answering technical questions - He helps people who struggle entering the game, even tho he doesn't have too, and he does it out of wanting to help others.

#2 He advances the procedure of ban appeals by commenting, asking questions, and that's just to keep things going and keep the ban appeal runnin'.

#3 He constantly answer questions (both in DM & in general chat) on discord, in practically every section. even If it's #questions or #technical-help and etc. he doesn't have to do that, and he still does.

#4 He's constantly active both in discord and on the Forum most of the day and I bet that he even helps and answers sometimes late at night.

And we shouldn't forget that Dave does all of that IN HIS FREE TIME.

Dave is an adult that has a personal life, has a job, has his hobbies, and he still makes so much time for us.

Wake the fuck up - It's a mushroom game, It's not real life. It's a game. he doesn't owe anybody anything and he don't need to care about every whim and request - not everybody will be happy so.. just deal with it O.O

In real life you can't expect yourself to be satisfied with 100% of everything, so why here It's suddenly mandatory for someone to oblige to every issue and make sure everyone's happy?

Thanks for joining my Ted Talk.

Tentomon likes this.
  15. Valzer

Valzer Donator

IGN:
    Valzer
    Level:
    Guild:
    Degens
    The fact that this comment is still up shows a lot about the staff here, trying to remove a comment that doesn't flame anybody and retracting it, to liking a personal attack on a player.

At least be consistent.

Ponderous, NotSun, autismax and 7 others like this.
  16. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    I do think your posts about Donn1e's manipulation or gears are not relevant to how I moderate the threads

But at the same time, I still think Donn1e's comments that I have originally removed are not relevant to the skill thread and I reverted it despite the disagreement

Donn1e responded with the following when I removed the comment partially, which can be applied to your post as well
    So here we are, stuck in this weird state
    - if I remove Donn1e's comment, I am seen as power-abusing
    - if I don't remove Donn1e or your comment, I am seen as unprofessional for not stopping the possible flame war
    - if I only remove yours but not Donn1e comment, I would be seen as double standards

I do still think both comments would likely lead to a flame war, but I was called "over-moderating" for stopping a flame war before it started

So the only logical outcome now is to take actions after the flame war occurs

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    Snuf, FeistyFox, Geto and 1 other person like this.
  17. GrindingToTheLimits

GrindingToTheLimits Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Whole maple private server community actually laughs on the staff here for over moderation / being too strict. While i'm having a good time in the game with my friends, even they keep telling me to avoid forums at all cost. Especially Dave, i don't have anything against him but he needs to take a break and chill out. The staff doesn't even review my report about this harasser in game, it's been over a month and they are plain ignoring them. My first 10-15 reports they were glad to take action but now i feel like i'm being discriminated, because GM's don't seem to wanna take any action on my reports even though there's a valid reason i reported someone. Too much elitism in this server ngl, GM's never gave a fk 2003-2009 and that's what made maplestory great. This server is a joke ngl. Not only some players call this "home" but also seem overly territorial of it.. 1 little mistake and you're gonna get labeled as the bad guy. Some guys don't have a life and wish they had one :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2024
  18. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    "but now i feel like i'm being discriminated, because GM's don't seem to wanna take any action on my reports"
    "GM's never gave a fk 2003-2009 and that's what made maplestory great"

So you want GM to attend to your reports, but you also think it's great if GMs don't give a damn? -.-'

Given your history of spamming megaphones multiple times in-game to flame certain guilds + players, and taunting the Community Blacklist, I don't think it's a good idea to start defending yourself in this thread (no one arrowed you here)

And yes, I am aware of your multiple megaphones claiming I have power abused, I didn't care cause you only spammed that in-game instead of submitting a formal report with relevant evidence
    (if you want to be taken seriously, don't spam megaphone for stuff you don't believe in)

benkrong, Tobi, Damien. and 9 others like this.
  19. Bacon

Bacon GM

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    BaconLord01
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    @Grinding
    You need to stop going on about how we’re ignoring you. With the recent drop in staff over the last year or so, we only have a few people handling in game incidents/reports. We have pages (yes I said pages) of reports that we try to get to on a daily/regular basis. We will get to your reports when we are able. I literally go to the oldest page and work my way to the newest. So do the rest of staff.

Tobi, Damien., NehZu and 6 others like this.
  20. itu

itu Well-Known Member

IGN:
    ItuHunter
    bro you literally LIKED this comment full of personal attacks, why are you pretending that you have some dilemma about how to moderate properly? you are insane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.