Christmas Event Feedback

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Jeen, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Jeen

Jeen Donator

Guild:
    ♬♩Radio♩♬
    Hello everyone!

First of all, I'd like to say I really thank the staff for putting together another event for us. I, and I know many others, also really appreciate the things you guys have done for us ^^
    Like the concerns we had about parts of the Thanksgiving event, I wanted to bring up something that seems to be an issue for the majority of the population.
    The snowman event seems to be a really fun event, but I personally and many others have not been able to partake in it due to the severe lag. Even those who by some miraculous chance to happen to receive a present, they have told me they just randomly attack and press pick up because they cannot see anything. And on the flip side, many others are disconnecting and not really getting a chance at all. It seems to be a really fun event and I know the point was for everyone to be able to enjoy it, or at least have a better chance to, so I was trying to come up with some ideas to see if we could make it a bit more accessible to everyone!

My main idea was to open up another channel. There were several different ways this could be done though.

1. We could link 1 more channel with channel 1 so that it would blow up whenever channel 1 got filled.

2. We could have the snowblower amounts on a different channel too and have them be added to the total amounts. In other words, you could add snow on channel 1 or 2, but it would go towards the same 10k.

This way, we have two channels blowing up at the same time, reducing lag because people will be able to split themselves among the channels.

Some of the main concerns people brought up to me when I mentioned these ideas was that people might finish killing on another and try to change channels to the other one. I personally disagree with this argument because I believe enough people will be on each channel to kill them both at a relatively quick speed and the fact that there are high volumes of people already on each map will deter the ability to cc quickly. Secondly, people have also mentioned that not enough presents drop from the snowman (I could not disagree or agree because I have frozen each time before it dropped), but if that was the case, then it wouldn't really be that bad of an idea to allow people to try and get a present on a different channel anyways.

These were just a couple of my ideas that I mentioned to others and were well received. From my understanding, the lag was bad last year as well, but this year we have many more players which makes it seem almost unreasonable to do everything on channel one. If anyone else has any other ideas, I urge you guys to say them here! I really want to be able to enjoy the event and would love to know that everyone else can too.

GDLee, Mono, Plenty and 5 others like this.
  2. Neshium

Neshium Donator

IGN:
    Pact
    Level:
    Guild:
    Synergy
    I like the idea of other channels having snowman spawns synchronized with ch 1, hopefully that's possible to implement.
    Granting a present directly into the players inventory if they've participated enough (Lovestruck King Slime style) would alleviate both of these concerns. I could have sworn they changed the snowman event to work this way by the end of the last Christmas event. They had also moved the tree for exchanging presents into the snowman map so that turning them in didn't involve 2 NPC interactions and map changes. I guess they didn't keep the changes from last year?

We'd still get server lag as every player talked to the tree NPC at the same time. After the changes above, I don't remember it being too bad, but I could be remembering incorrectly. I can't think of any easy fixes that aren't weird. A more complicated fix coding-wise would be to make it possible to double-click the present to get your reward.

SAKI likes this.
  3. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    We're making a couple of changes in the next Server Check. I'd love to hear feedback about those changes when they go live to see if it helps.

MiniiPanda and galbixd like this.
  4. Neshium

Neshium Donator

IGN:
    Pact
    Level:
    Guild:
    Synergy
    If the snowblower and snowman aren't synchronized between channels, there's now no way for more than 100 people to participate. It becomes a camping game of who can change to the channel and enter the map the fastest when the notice is sent out.

5. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    There's two sides to that problem... If it were synch'd with all 10 channels, that'd be 1000 presents at once and we don't even have 1000 users online. If it were just channel 1 and 2, we could potentially run into an issue where it either overfilled in ch1 AND 2 , OR there would be extra presents and some people could get more than one, simply a matter of who got there faster.

Ideally, the idea is to have others farming and opening up the snowblower in the other channels as well as ch1. I hope that once more people know that all channels are open, that this will start a chain reaction and more channels will start going off.

Andreas likes this.
  6. Jeen

Jeen Donator

Guild:
    ♬♩Radio♩♬
    To be fair, I don't think there would be extra presents with 2, even 3, channels. Even adding a limit of 100 to those three channels would still limit the amount of presents available while still giving more players a chance. Also, if they're synchronized, people would have to choose a map rather than have all of their mules camp out in one channel and take up space. I feel like it would be much harder for you to cc to a diff channel to reap the benefits if they're synchronized because you're already dedicated to 1 channel (since you must attack to receive, this was a very good feature) and you know the others will be at max capacity.
    As it is right now, there are people who have multiple mules within channel 1 alone and have gotten many presents while some people aren't able to get any at all. I don't think this is quite what you guys had in mind either.
    It is also much easier to have everyone put snow in a centralized location like channel 1 rather than a random channel because it is the most popular channel. If people use their snow, I know they will want to put it somewhere where they know will get use out of it.

GDLee, Mono and Plenty like this.
  7. StrickBan

StrickBan Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    StrickBan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Envy
    Now we're stuck at 4300 at channel one because it's full and no one can bring more nevermelting snow :/. I don't think people should be able to camp all day on the map, it's ruining the event with the new changes.

8. John

John Donator

People will learn soon enough that they can't camp on the map otherwise the snowblower will never go off. Also, perhaps it will encourage people to go and fill up the snowblower on other channels ;)

Andreas and StrickBan like this.
  9. inversion

inversion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Inversion
    Level:
    Guild:
    Unity
    i hope this happens. but people only add snow to the snowblower when they think they have a chance at being there when the snowman spawns. so when ch1 is filled and they go to an empty channel, they will see that the snow count is very low and they will not add because they won't think there is a chance of their snow contributing to a snowman that they will be there for. so they will just go back to ch1 and spam the reindeer and hope to get in. i'm not sure how it can be improved, but that is what's happening right now

NYTimes, Succubus and Jeen like this.
  10. Neshium

Neshium Donator

IGN:
    Pact
    Level:
    Guild:
    Synergy
    This wouldn't be an issue if the presents didn't physically drop onto the ground. Place them in the player's inventory instead.

11. Sheik

Sheik Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Vaivode
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    I feel like there should be a cooldown on reentering the event map. Perhaps 30-60 minutes? In addition to this, all characters should also be warped out of the map 1-2 minutes after the snowman has been killed. Currently there are a lot of players collecting presents on multiple characters, turning them in, then running back to event map to afk until other people bring more snow. Something definitely needs to change. After the server check even less people are getting presents.

12. Lurking

Lurking Member

Country Flag:
    You realize the only people that this really hurts are those who show up when they get the notification at 80%? If anything those people are even less deserving than those who sit around waiting to leech off of others for an even longer time.

Besides if all those people that showed up at 80% actually wanted to contribute snow they could go to another channel and put it all in there. I bet that almost everyone that actually contributed snow in channel 1 was in there and likely got a present now that the dc issue seems fixed.

13. Sheik

Sheik Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Vaivode
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Not true at all. Event is full even at around 1k snow.

edit: to elaborate, the current changes to the event hurts everyone except those who are inside the entire time camping. I'm sure the intention of a fun Christmas event is not to support sitting inside of multiple characters holding your spot.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  14. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Give it some time, we're talking over it but the idea is for others to overflow into the next channel and participate there as well. It's already started happening, as we just had two snowmen go off one in ch1 and one in ch2, back to back.

15. StrickBan

StrickBan Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    StrickBan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Envy
    Actually ch2 beat ch1 LOL. Shout out to BabyColgate :D

16. Toothpaste

Toothpaste Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Darlie
    Level:
    Guild:
    Wiggle
    Actually thanks to everyone who came & support earlier :)

StrickBan and SpiritKinay like this.
  17. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    Gathering up a bunch of people to summon it works out pretty well. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be exactly 100 presents per boss so despite the 100 person limit, people are left empty handed.

Mono, Jeen and KenE like this.
  18. Humbdo

Humbdo Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Humbdo
    Level:
    Guild:
    Clover
    So I had an idea that I feel would make the snowman portion of the Christmas event go a bit smoother.

Idea:

-Require at least 100 snow to be present in your inventory for you to be able to enter the Extra Frosty Snow Zone.

-Also so people don't just camp on the map after they are already inside; have a 5 minute timer start after the snowman is defeated that will kick everyone off the map after it has expired.

I feel this puts more emphasis on this event being community driven as everyone will actually have to contribute to summon and defeat each snowman instead of just rushing map to map trying to get in on snowman summons without helping out in the slightest.

*Idea Revisited*
    -You would be required to to have 100 snow to enter and be required to pay it to summon
    -Players can't put in more than 100 snow
    -5 minute timer starts after the snowman is defeated and will clear the map of all players upon expiring
    -Players will be prevented from joining a map after the snowman is summoned up until the timer expires (this prevents people from slipping into a snowman fight without contributing due to someone d/cing after the snowman has been summoned already. Of course this sucks for the person d/cing but it is really no different then not being able to get back in anyway because the map is full)

Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  19. Sheevah

Sheevah Member

Country Flag:
    Personally i would love to see a timer implemented. At the moment there is a massive problem with people Afking in the snowman map and it puts other players at a disadvantage. The limit that has just been implemented in the server check, I feel that it just makes the problem even worse.

Im not too sure about the 100 snow requirement though...

Glee likes this.
  20. Humbdo

Humbdo Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Humbdo
    Level:
    Guild:
    Clover
    Well it doesn't really take very long to get 100 snow and it would ensure that a few things will happen:
    - Everyone will be pulling their own weight in summoning a snowman
    - When the map caps off at 100 people a snowman will be summoned and be cleared shortly after, leaving the map open for the next 100 to go in
    - Snowmen will be summoned more frequently because more snow will be put into the "snow economy" as people will need to contribute if they want to participate giving more incentive to actually go out and pick up snow instead of relying on others to gather snow for them. (More players picking up snow = more snowmen)