Certainly one of the maplestory takes of all time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cooler, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Cooler

Cooler Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Absoloot
    Level:
    Guild:
    Treasure
    Can I say something wild?

Thought experiment:
    Just imagine how simple (on paper) this really is as a solution for this 2D game conundrum:
    What if magic damage (besides 1/1 and unique/intended cases) was based on your distance from the casting mob/boss. This solves 99% of class roles and their HP struggles.

Obviously this implies some nonexistent, perhaps complex formula, or a pixel based system (the simplest) for distance~dmg~m.def~lvl~etc. This is not in the feedback section because this is a general discussion topic for the game engine that's being emulated, but it could potentially solve all basic, intended class role HP value difficulty without manipulating the game or asking people to add an entire dimension of effort of preparation to participate in higher level content via washing or added novel mechanics to increase HP.
    This of course adds depth to each level, and server wide exp values wouldn't need to be increased to redeem time vs a feeling of progression vs devoted investment that isn't so demanding in the unnecessary additional aspect from the actual game, which is the hp washing sim we now play.

That sounds harsh lol. Not trying to sound so extreme and critical, but thank goodness I mained a shad, which can just get by without washing, and through various essentially close to "op" or "dominating" buffs and updates to tgat class, and short of any of the warrior classes, I would not have continued investing in this server or game because of the HP gate.

Anyway that's not to say anything bad about royals whatsoever in this regard. This is just a... "what if it worked like this, instead of current model" question about the nature of the original game that's being emulated here, and I think that's in interesting topic unto itself, if even a prospect for future possible server considerations--here, or new--and only in conceptual capacities, not as actual suggestions of change, as far as this general discussion nature of this thread goes.

Seems like an easy rework for the 2D model. Would make mobile bosses much more dynamic. Makes even stationary bosses more dynamic.

Anyway, thoughts?
    (move this thread anywhere if it doesn't fit here)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  2. 7upinice

7upinice Donator

i'd suggest implement GenAI on every mob instead.

3. Sylafia

Sylafia Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sylafia
    Level:
    Guild:
    FlatEarth
  4. Cooler

Cooler Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN: