Game Challenge: Ironman Mode (Solo, DIY - No Trading)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PaddysPub, Nov 4, 2015.

1. PaddysPub

PaddysPub Donator

IGN:
    DeeReynolds
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman

What is the Ironman Challenge?
    The Ironman Challenge is an unofficial game mode that aims to promote a self-sufficient playing style.
    Originally theorized by @DIYChalak as a way to make Maple feel like new again, it takes free inspiration from the OSRS Ironman mode and it is specifically tailored for MapleRoyals.

The original post (November 2015) has received a very positive feedback; it has been quickly followed by the creation of an Ironman-only guild, which is currently led by a handful of dedicated long-runners.

The Ironman Challenge can be seen as an alternative meta that allows the player to explore different (and often forgotten) aspects of the game, and pursue different kinds of rewards.

The Ironman Rules
    Here is the original Ironman path, and the very core of the Challenge. Players are free to add custom rules and further restrictions for themselves, as long as they remain faithful to these five precepts. Special rules and exceptions will follow in the next sub-section.

1. No trading with other players
    As an Ironman, you won't trade with other players for items or game cash. You have to collect everything by yourself, either via farming, gachapon or quest rewards.

2. No selling/buying in player owned shops or to/from other players
    As an Ironman, you won’t interact with other players to increase your meso gain. You deal with trusted NPC shops only.

3. No parties with other players (including leech)
    As an Ironman, you will have to progress through the game and gain levels training by yourself.

4. No Party Quests
    As an Ironman, you won’t party up with others to complete PQs, and easily fly through levels via PQ exp rewards.

5. No loot share
    As an Ironman, you won’t pick up any drops left by other players. You are entitled to pick up your own loot and nothing else.

Special rules and exceptions

NX cash
    Cash shop items that affect the gameplay (Gachapon tickets, Safety Charms, AP Resets, etc.) can only be purchased with NX cash gained post the creation of the Ironman character.
    Old NX can be used for cosmetic items, since this doesn't affect the gameplay.

Seasonal and Community Events
    Ironman characters are welcome to join Mapleroyals forum and game Events, including Event boss runs like Lovestruck King Slime or Snowman.

4th Job Books related content
    El Nath PQ, HTPQ
    Allowed with a non-ironman party (one-time)
    Bowmen, Mages and Thieves are allowed to recruit a stance-less Warrior in order to access El Nath PQ and hunt for Dragon Breath, Infinity and Taunt.
    Bishops and Paladins are allowed to recruit a HTPQ party respectively for their Genesis and Holy\Divine Charge quest.

Manon
    Kill sharing allowed
    Following the changes to the Horntail prequests, Ironman characters are allowed to share their Manon kill with other players in order to avoid conflicts with the rest of the Community.
    Please note that you only need to get EXP in order to get the kill (basically, hitting at least once and be inside the map while Manon is dying), so a party kill is not strictly necessary.

Guild PQ
    Allowed within the Ironman guild

Zakum and Horntail
    Party allowed but regulated

Since the beginning of the challenge, Ironman players have asked for some form of access to 4th job Books locked behind party requirements or raid bosses.
    Ironman Zakum guild runs have been introduced by popular demand and for legacy reasons.
    This is not meant to be a surefire system for Ironman characters to obtain 4th job Books from Zakum.

• Limited to a maximum of 2 attempts per week.
    • Level requirement is 120.
    • ACA10, ACB10, AR10, TT10 are available for looting.
    • 20/30 Mastery Books availability within guild runs will be treated as an individual choice/restriction for 4th job characters.
      Ironman characters are free to choose whether they want to loot Mastery Books or not after a successful guild run.
    • EoF provider is entitled to loot Nexon Cash Cards and Energizers.
    • Pet loot must be disabled!
    • Zakum Helmets are not available for looting.
      Within the Ironman meta, Zakum Helmets will remain a bounty prize for the solo.
    • Bishops may not use Holy Symbol.
    Considering the small active pool of 4th job characters, an eventual loot claim/priority can be based on personal agreements.
    • Limit of 1 successful attempt per week, or up to 3 failed attempts per week. (resets at monday after server reset)
    • Level requirement is 140.
    • Mastery books from HT can only be used by an ironman that survived at least one HT run to the end. Priority for the books are given to the surviving players of that run 1st, people who failed the run but defeated HT once are 2nd, and lastly for players who have defeated HT once but weren't in the run. (Or, it can go down to personal agreements before/after the run).
    • MW20 can only be claimed by lvl 160+ ironmen, with priority given to the highest lvl in the surviving party.
    • Pet loot must be disabled.
    • Players must be actively contributing to the run. That means either attacking (you need to have enough accuracy to consistently hit the boss), or supporting (either healing / buffing with a vital buff like HB / acting as sed target / efficiently clearing spawns)
    • Horntail pendants, and eggs are not available for looting.
    • Dragon weapons are claimable. Claim order is by level or personal agreements. Only the surviving party can claim dragon weapons, they are not transferable to "out of run" players like skill books.
    • Bishops may not use Holy Symbol, like always.
    • NX and Card can be looted, order chosen by personal agreements between the players
    Item storage and transfer
    Since Maplestory have a class-specific system in place, it is impossible for Ironman characters to make good use of all the items acquired during their adventures.
    • It is possible to have dedicated storage mules for your Ironman character.
    • It is possible to donate items you don’t need or cannot use to a regular character.
    I am a new player! Is there something I should be aware of?
    Mapleroyals being a nostalgic private server, we assume that Royallers are generally already familiar with old-school Maplestory classes and gameplay.
    However, it is important to keep in mind that Mapleroyals offers some degree of customization in balancing and content; there are also specific optimized patterns of progression you should be at least aware of.

Going on a full Ironman playthrough may entail severe variations or limitations to the usual gameplay and characters progression.

If you are a new player and you are not sure about what do to, how to build your character or simply what to reasonably expect from the Challenge, we strongly recommend to take a look to the Guides section first!

FAQ
    How active is the Ironman guild?
    The Ironman challenge is, by its core nature, a niche playing style.

We don’t want to deceive anyone by saying that we’re currently bursting with activity. If you decide to join us, you will find a small, but friendly environment to support your choice. The most dedicated among us are already 100+ or in their 4th job path. We also have a private Discord server for our guild members.

How do you make sure that people are not breaking the rules?
    Please note that this is not an official game mode, but an individual challenge engaged between (hopefully) mature players.

Sure, we have rules, but mutual respect and common sense should always be placed above them.
    We won’t spend our time monitoring other challengers’ activity. If you try to make a fool of us or the Community, you are only making a fool of yourself.

Fair enough! How can I join the Challenge?
    • Simply write down your IGN in this thread and we will get in contact with you.
    • Send a forum PM to @Glaux, @LichWiz, @Moose, @MSdrawman, @Shane, @Yiks
    • Whisper or send a buddy request to IronYunyun, Kraal, Samadhi, ArcticEdge, Ciubber

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(The hall of fame has been out of date for a long time. Until we can get some more concrete statistics, it will remain deleted for now.)​

Peace!

DIYChalak, aka Simon, is the original founder of the Ironman Challenge. He is also the original author of this thread.
    Due to special circumstances (Simon's prolonged inactivity), it has been made possible for the Ironman community to have edit permissions for this opening post. I made sure to include a snapshot of the original Simon's post, so that it won't be lost. Thanks for reading! -Samadhi

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    xKubzonor, William, icedem0n and 43 others like this.
  2. DIYChalak

DIYChalak Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DIYChalak
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Making good progress already, farmed to level 23 in hhg-2 today. Managed to get 4 cape for dex scrolls which will become very handy soon. Still not sure if I should stay 4 dex or start adding some. ChalakProgress.jpg

Mrkaren, IoIzor and mecheez like this.
  3. Champloo

Champloo Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Champloo
    Level:
    14x
    Had a lot of fun doing this on OSRS and almost made one here but remembered that I barely level playing normally lol. Good luck anyways

4. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    I like the concept! Reminds me of Runescape and how ironman culture has exploded there. Good luck!

Gurps likes this.
  5. DIYChalak

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DIYChalak
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Thanks for the kind words. Indeed, the idea for this developed after my experience of playing as an ironman on OSRS, I absolutely loved the challange. However the game do gets the best of me, time wise so I had to give it a rest for now. I sincerely enjoy playing as Ironman here as well, It feels more relaxed than OSRS for me.

Progress so far:
    Made it to level 30 with a little bit of accuracy hassle, got myself a 10 dex sauna and 5 dex cape so I am all good now. Time to farm some wild boars. ChalakProgress2.jpg

Gurps likes this.
  6. maybach

maybach Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shoota
    Level:
    Guild:
    Vogue
    solo zakum? :p Or does being in the zakum attacker party count haha.

7. DIYChalak

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DIYChalak
    Guild:
    Ironman

All bosses that can be solo'd should be.

Generally this will increase the value of the boss rewards and the feeling when you finally achieve them solely by yourself is a bliss.

8. Bella

Bella Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bella
    I'd like to join this challenge - am I able to make any class so long as the rules are followed? Or is it specifically supposed to be warriors?

9. Gurps

Gurps Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Corsairs
    Level:
    Guild:
    Acme
    I believe it's any class although if I did this challenge, I probably wouldn't choose mage. That seems too easy ;)

10. Bella

Bella Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bella
    I was thinking a F/P to be honest, but I was also thinking the same re: being too easy (hence my question!) Perhaps I'll go bowman or thief instead...

11. DIYChalak

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DIYChalak
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Welcome to the challenge!:)

When you have created your ironman type it's ign here and I will add a list of the current existing ironman accounts.

There is no class restrictions for this challenge. Go with whatever you prefer. :)

12. DIYChalak

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DIYChalak
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Progress #3

The grind is real.
    I did most of level 30 - 35 on Wild Boars in order to get some Maple Axes which will become handy later on. Also did about 1 level at Cloud Foxes hoping to get an Axe for ATT 30% drop, did not get lucky however. 35 - 40 was made through questing and teddies.

Now I am planning to camp at PL Chronos lvls 40 - 50 to hopefully get a nice stack of gfa 60%s.

ChalakProgress3.jpg

IoIzor and Gurps like this.
  13. Bella

Bella Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bella
    Alrighty - my IGN is Distributed
    I've made a rogue.

First order of the day was to do my hair (obviously) and turn off trade requests ;) Now on to leveling...
    upload_2015-11-9_22-25-40.png

draco997, Scott, NMNA and 4 others like this.
  14. Gurps

Gurps Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Corsairs
    Level:
    Guild:
    Acme
    slight typo on rogue* :) .

Overall though, I must say this challenge seems fun, I'll have to give it a try sometime

15. DIYChalak

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DIYChalak
    Guild:
    Ironman
    On snap, my bad. Let's fix that real quick.

You definitely should at least try it for a while, get the feel for it. :)

Gurps likes this.
  16. Gurps

Gurps Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Corsairs
    Level:
    Guild:
    Acme
    If I could make a suggestion, if you get enough ironmen to join, maybe you should make a guild for them. It'll be easier to track each other's progress and have someone to get advice from

IoIzor, Royalty and Bella like this.
  17. Tim

Tim Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Kaizoku
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    Joining this idea on a bandit-to-be named Touzoku for some casual play!
    Added another rule for myself, I'm not allowed to BUY equipment from NPCs

edited the title from challange to challenge

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    ginwolf, fizz90841, iAmLuis and 3 others like this.
  18. Enticing

Enticing Donator

IGN:
    Kaydril
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    The ironman challenge was a huge thing on World of Warcraft. However, that challenge went even further as far as to only allow you to use white gear. So basically entry level CLEAN gear. Also if you died, you had to delete your character and start over. I dont think this is a good idea on Royals, since it will only give GM's more work to do!

Sheena and Plenty like this.
  19. Gurps

Gurps Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Corsairs
    Level:
    Guild:
    Acme
    Rip

20. DIYChalak