Forum Over moderation and annoyance to the community

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Donn1e, Jan 18, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

Hello.
    I was thinking about making a comment on my ban appeal, but since I know it is likely to never get a proper answer from staff, I decided to do it here instead.
    Since I also made a report on this, that was closed by the same said moderator, I have no choice but using this place to give staff feedback on their forum moderation.
    I wanna talk about the way the forum is moderated in certain cases, and share my experience.

2 days ago, I was having a discussion on the Skill Change feedback thread.
    In this discussion, a comparison was made of 2 players who are supposed to be the "top DRKs" and that was used as an argument why Zerking should be easier, as not everyone is expected to be them.
    I explained that:
    1) Those players are miles apart, which is factual considering hard evidence such as contribution to the community, videos etc.
    2) Those Zerk changes are not necessary in my opinion, and explained why.
    (https://royals.ms/forum/threads/feedback-request-skill-changes-and-balancing.205730/page-18)

I'm not trying to argue if that comment was out of place or toxic, my opinion (and other's who commented as well) is clear about that, and I also think you need certain bias towards that player to find that comment offensive.
    But lets leave that aside - because I want to talk about how it was handled by the forum mod.

At first, he wrote the following comment:
    [​IMG]
    After which he edited my post and removed a section of what I said.
    At this point, no warning points were issued and no punishment was handed.

To that comment, I responded with criticism about what he did.
    I don't find it nice to edit people's comments as it can change the intention of a post and twist their words, so I voiced it:
    [​IMG]

Nothing mean was said here.
    At this point, I got straight up banned from the thread for this comment.
    Yes, I wasn't banned for the sparky/awlz comment, I was banned for responding to a mod.
    He saw this second comment as me "continuing to flame", what?
    [​IMG]
    That's an absurd way to deal with players on the forum.

Also, setting up people who call him out for his action for a ban, basically putting them in a spot where they can't comment on this anymore or they will get the same treatment, is just not right:
    [​IMG]

Now, I knew I was going to get unbanned, cause who in their right mind on staff would leave this ban in place?
    But the fact that I have to deal with this heavy handed ban and the annoyance that followed is what really didn't sit well with me.
    Should I really invest my time in feedback threads if that's how I'm treated?
    I don't think I will anymore as it stands, because the reason I feedback so much and put my own time and effort into this is simply because I care, and I want to give staff my input and help steering things in the right direction (in my opinion at least).

I've seen many cases of over-moderation lately - on selling threads, shoutbox, feedback threads etc.
    I think the most important things to remember as a forum mod are:
    1) You are here to give people a better forum experience, if you over-do it and nuke comments/threads left and right, ban people from sections and make them go through ban appeals, you are beating the purpose.
    Not everything needs to be moderated, and not everything needs staff intervention, this becomes a burden on the community.
    You need to use common sense of when to intervene, and when you should let people speak and do their thing - because it's harmless.
    2) When you do decide to handle certain cases, do it well, there is really no other way for me to say it.
    Heavy handed bans and bad decisions such as this just anger the community, as you can clearly see by the comments after the ban I was handed.
    Reviewing your own actions and apologizing is not a bad way to approach this.

I hope @Zancks who commented on my ban appeal sees this, and even @Matt who needs to know people's feeling about the forum moderation.
    Once I got banned, I surprisingly got a wave of forum DMs from people I don't even know, all saying they had a similar experience and that they are just as frustrated as me.
    I would like some staff comment about this.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    Javier, cesr, Tentomon and 19 others like this.
  2. Shnang

Shnang Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sena
    Level:
    Guild:
    Home
    Screenshot_20240118_184337_Chrome.jpg

Genuinely curious what could have warranted editing from our dear moderator o_O

will this comment be moderated/Thanosed too?

3. Geto

Geto Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Naobito
    Level:
    17x
    Guild:
    Northern
    Seems to me like a not-so-subtle complaint on Dave.
    Never experienced any issues with Dave.
    There is a reason why he is a mod for so long, he is doing a good job.
    But I guess we need to wait for the many DM senders to say otherwise.

4. RonJJ

RonJJ Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    RonJJ
    I doubt that Dave has or had bad intentions but in short, Doing a good job does not make doing a bad job okay or acceptable, appreciation is earned on consistency and not upon certain periods

As for the topic, usually I would say this is out of place, and disrespectful to use a feedback thread to push your own interest which is in this case would be your argument against Dave, BUT that is not the case, your point is valid and I think it is very important to get it across, that people should be allowed to voice their opinions without being worried about what might happen if a nerve is touched by using one of the words that can or can not be used (a mystery apparently), it shouldn’t be a mystery and it should be more clear what’s the real meaning of the term “freedom of speech”, because from where I sit, there was just speech without freedom, and that is unfortunate for me to see, I truly hope that this discussion will lead to a lesson that can solve this for the future so people find the forum a more appealing platform and not less.

Javier and Donn1e like this.
  5. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Forum Moderator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    Would appreciate linking of the over-moderated selling threads, shoutbox and feedback threads
    *the involved players may submit a forum report if feel awkward linking it here

1) Despite my disagreement with your initial comments, I have decided to revert it

2) About the wave of forum DMs, I can only recommend them to submit a report or Feedback about me, if they feel I have over-moderated (abused powers) - should let the Staff know about it
    I do log my reasonings for each ban given (regardless of shoutbox ban or WP given out)

I would also make a disclaimer here:
    If I am found over-moderating or abusing the forum mod powers for my own gains, I will resign from the Staff (or be fired for it)

Kheb, Bacon, Geto and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    Long story short, the player (@MengQian ) bump 3 times within the same UTC day

While removing the additional 2 bumps, I decided to shift the content to the original comment as MengQian may not remember the comments I gonna remove

If the community feels it's unnecessary to limit marketplace bumps to once per day, and should be unlimited bumps, I can do that
    (it's much easier for me if the moderation of bumps in MarketPlace threads is deprecated)

The moderation of bumps in MarketPlace is not meant for Staff, is meant for the players to have a chance to appear on MarketPlace's 1st page
    (we do not enjoy moderating the bumps as we would need to check up and down for the timings)

Relevant threads about MarketPlace bumps
    https://royals.ms/forum/threads/market-place-bumping-rule-changes.199467/
    https://royals.ms/forum/threads/changes-to-market-place-bumps-how-many-threads-can-i-bump-daily.220699/

Edit: replied MengQian in DM about this matter

benkrong, nomade, Saledor and 5 others like this.
  7. AshPile

AshPile Donator

IGN:
    AshPile
    I got my comment/thread (I dont even remember what it was about) deleted a couple times. Iirc it was just a couple memes and not so important trolling gibberish, so those getting deleted was not a big deal and I honestly didnt care.

What irritated me, however, was the fact that I was never notified who deleted my post for what reason.

If the OP is not notified when the thread gets deleted is not a power abuse, what else is?

P.s. this happened when Dave stepped down from his forum mod role for a while so I am not blaming him or someone specific for this. I still dont know who deleted my post (i can only assume who) and I am just sharing my experience.

Donn1e likes this.
  8. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    It's a valid concern, when I do delete/edit comments, I would include this part (will appear while editing)
    upload_2024-1-18_20-25-57.png

Usually, I would include something simple such as "irrelevant to the thread" or "please don't spam"

Doooof likes this.
  9. lxlx

lxlx Donator

IGN:
    awlz
    Guild:
    Create
    you're still not getting it. Moderating is healthy, especially when you are doing it solo in a forum with a decent amount of traffic, it's plenty for just one individual, so actually, i honestly think you do a really good job moderating as you are kinda a fanatic over it (which is needed prob).

However.... i'd say you do need to exercise more judgement when you are assuming your role as a mod. Take the verbal warning you replied to me earlier as an example,

[​IMG]
    i called you out on your behavior by writing "quit power tripping dude", and you responded immediately by trying to silence me, obviously setting me up for a reply ban if i responded. What? Do you think its okay to silence a player by lowkey threatening a ban when you see something you don't want to see? Also, you proved my initial statement by doing that.

Ponderous, NotSun, Eli and 8 others like this.
  10. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    No, I will not issue a ban unless you intend to repeat the sentence targeting another player (not me) that I have removed at the time
    (But I won't be doing that anymore since I have reverted the original comments, also why I have removed this comment ^)

If you still feel I am finding excuses to wriggle out of this, and attempted to power trip by silencing you despite my expression of disagreement about the original comment being not relevant to the skill feedback, we can only agree to disagree
    (there's nothing for me to gain by abusing forum mod powers in a high-profile thread, lots of people would see it)

Note: if you believe I have some personal vendetta against you (or any other players), please submit a report about it

11. lxlx

lxlx Donator

IGN:
    awlz
    Guild:
    Create
    So your immediate assumption is that i'm gonna be flaming someone when i have not said anything at all prior to that post?

12. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    You have also assumed that I am setting up a trap to ban you
    Edit: setting you up for a reply ban*

There's no point for us to assume each other intentions by this point, I have provided my explanations about why I removed the comments + why I made that comment

It's your choice whether to accept my explanation on the incident, I can't force you

13. NANI1

NANI1 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    NANI1
    Level:
    Guild:
    Playboys
    i think hes doing a good job of containing grown adults playing a childrens MMORPG

14. lxlx

lxlx Donator

IGN:
    awlz
    Guild:
    Create
    There is a distinct difference between setting me up for a ban, and setting up a trap to ban me, don't twist my words.

Donn1e likes this.
  15. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    Amended

16. Cynn

Cynn Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    JustJae
    Guild:
    Blacklist
    Personally, I like Dave a lot and hope he continues to forum mod.

There are past Forum Mods that would have banned lxlx by now lol.

The forums are an outdated wasteland where the Staff really doesn't have too much time to invest to. The forum search bar was down when I took a 3 year break, I came back it was still down.

Dave always sweeps up the chinese college degree waves we get once a week, helped out even after he resigned/forum mod was removed in general, and I don't even think he plays the game anymore (outside of helping people 2nd job advance).

I think its an important job to keep on staff. GM Staff shouldn't be assigned also moderating the forums. I think it was worse the forums when staff removed Forum Mod thinking GM staff could moderate both ingame and forum activites.

That being said, we all have room for improvement and I think it's fine you won't see eye to eye with some members. But so long as they don't take it too far, you'll have to do what you can to come to terms with them or just let them be.

Edit:
    I think in the past if flaming would start ramping up. Mods either your or other, in the past would issue a verbal warning to everyone before it gets worse, something on the lines of "Thread is getting a bit out of hand, if it continues to get worse we'll have to start deleting posts and issue WPs"

I think some sort of warning before deleting/editing comments would have gotten a less negative response. If that did happen and I did not notice it, sorry about that.

17. lxlx

lxlx Donator

IGN:
    awlz
    Guild:
    Create

You say this, and you deleted @Donn1e 's segment about it, and after that, despite NO ONE bringing up "he who shall not be named", you were still dishing out reply ban, verbal warning? No one brought up his name again or even talked about him, so what are your reasons for the reply ban and verbal warning?

Donn1e likes this.
  18. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    The clearing of the Chinese college degree (or any other spams) is easy for any Staff, there's a nuke button to do this
    (Of course, we must only do it for confirmed spam accounts and not the unfortunate hacked ones)

Yea, I am playing way less nowadays after getting a new job + my skin issue
    The skin of my fingers peels off from time to time, affecting my control of the keys near WASD
    I probably only gonna play events on my World Tour characters

The inconsistency is a valid point for Staff to take note as each GMs has their own criteria for how forum moderation should be done
    But I do find it understandable since they would need to juggle between in-game and forum moderation (different rules)

This is also why I joined back, I believe Forum Mod is essential
    If someone believes I applied to be a Forum Mod to aim for power abuse, I can only suggest to report my inappropriate actions, or observe the actions I have taken over the months/years

completes likes this.
  19. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    I have already provided my explanations, but you don't believe it

I don't think any further explanations would help and will likely cause more quarrels in this thread due to our different interpretation

20. lxlx

lxlx Donator

IGN:
    awlz
    Guild:
    Create

You mean these right? But you already addressed that when you said this.

After this post of yours, which post afterwards is seen as a further attempt to incite a flame war? No one else talked about it anymore yet you dished out a reply ban, which was why i called you out and you gave me a verbal warning for doing that.

Your reply ban / warning was NOT for talking about another player, so don't you try to backpedal now.

Donn1e likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.