Notice Updates & Changes 18/08/14

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Matt, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    Hi Everyone,

There was a brief server check today. Here are the changes that were made:

Updates that players will notice.

1. Removal of ~storage.
    2. Improvements to ~gm.
      Typing just ~gm as a command it will bring up the Maple Admin.
      Note: The functionality is more than just showing guides. On the long term this should become a smart system that checks player stats and act accordingly if possible.

1. Enter ~gm, the Maple Admin will now open. Click "next".
      2. Enter your message. Messages can now be up to 250 characters long. Instead of the current 70 (minus 4 from '~gm ').
        [​IMG]
        • Optional part:
          Maple Admin has found a guide that might be useful for you.
          [​IMG] [​IMG]
          Read the guide, if this is not what's wrong, you can still send your message.
      3. Broadcast your message to all GMs.
        [​IMG]
      4. There's also an option for basic info.
        For example "staff"/"gmlist"/"gms" as a question would give show you the current staff list. Enter "help" for more information.
        [​IMG]
      Note: The functionality is more than just showing guides. On the long term this should become a smart system that checks player stats and act accordingly if possible.
      You can send messages through the Maple Admin once every 10 minutes. This change from 1 to 10 minute is justified, as we have added !last~gms that shows us the ~gm's (link). Also, messages can be longer, so you can explain yourself properly through a single ~gm.
      For now, both ~gm (which shows the Maple Admin) and ~gm <message> work.
    3. As requested by some, the messages of a server check have been changed.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    4. Fixed some NPC scripts.
    5. Potential fix for lag implemented.

The MapleRoyals Staff

Marty, Afee, Gags and 11 others like this.
  2. SAKI

SAKI Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    copyleft
    Level:
    -
    Guild:
    Synergy
    Why was the command ~storage removed?

Snake, purplemuree, Blade and 2 others like this.
  3. Jack :3

Jack :3 Donator

IGN:
    xJack
    Level:
    Guild:
    Synergy
    Very sad day :(

BertEast and Blade like this.
  4. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    Can we have a storage person in the free market? Also, is disabling storage command temporary?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  5. caladbolgftw

caladbolgftw Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    bigbangsux
    so how many NPC script were fixed? does that included most of the quest bugs I faced?

6. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    Storage was removed for a couple of reasons. It makes some things in the game too simple and removes some 'strategy' from the game. For example; ensuring that you bring enough potions, stars etc with you when are grinding. The storage command also caused some problems with people using the command during PQ's, boss runs, and other 'events'. We decided to remove the command altogether rather than putting more work into it. This change is likely permanent.

In regards to putting a storage person in the FM, this could be a possibility. In my own opinion I would have no problems with putting one in there if warping to free market was disabled. And personally I would not mind not having warp to free market disabled as it causes similar problems as the storage command did. Possibly worse, one example would be that some people have been seen buffing themselves with mules from the FM and warping back to maps where there are no safespots. Another thing that I don't like about it is that it almost nullifies the use of town scrolls, especially when combined with ~storage. The only positives about having warp to free market is that it is a quick way to go to the FM, or a quick way to meet up with people. Apart from that there are no other advantages that I can think of. This is currently an ongoing discussion between the staff.

NPC fixes were just minor changes to some which were causing errors. E.g. Claudia in Amoria. Nothing major really and no quests from what I recall.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Deejay, Gags and Joong like this.
  7. Leeuw

Leeuw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Rogue / pOOq
    Level:
    Guild:
    Freaky
    Very sad day indeed. IMO, ~storage and the FM warp both are things which could've stayed in game. I mean, the entire server isn't an exact copy of V65 GMS, so some things like that should be able to stay.

But apart from that, nice update!

caced123 likes this.
  8. Underoath

Underoath Donator

IGN:
    Underoath
    Level:
    12x
    Guild:
    Lubs
    Please don't get rid of FM command unless absolutely necessary. I know you want this to be like a real old school Maple experience, but FM command is one of the few advantages that PS's have over GMS. Getting to FM to repot or check your store sales and being able to go back to grind is amazing.

Blade, Tentomon, John and 2 others like this.
  9. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    I'd like to also know how the lag has been since this server check. From what I know, there was a large lag spike which happened exactly every hour and caused many users to d/c. That issue should hopefully now be fixed. So how has it been so far?

10. Tentomon

Tentomon Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CaptainHeidi
    Level:
    Being able to warp to FM is extremely important. It's main purpose is probably socializing. I like being able to go into my guild's FM room at any time without it meaning I have to leave my training spot.

Removing it would kill many peoples interest in the server. It isn't an option.

caced123, Manslut and Bella like this.
  11. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    Although I wouldn't be too drastic about this situation, I'd have to agree that getting rid of the instant teleport to Free Market option will prove to be disastrous in the long run.

caced123 and Sila like this.
  12. jmmainvi

jmmainvi Donator

Country Flag:
    Guild:
    Heroes
    I haven't noticed any lag until just now - exactly 24 hours after the server reset. Shops started timing out, I managed to set mine up, though it took almost 30 seconds through the lag, and then there was severe lag and constant dc's for about 10 minutes. It now seems to have resolved.

On the note of the storage NPC disappearing, Ralph the wanderer is gone from CBD ch 1 as well, but appears on ch 2.

13. Greeby

Greeby Donator

IGN:
    Greeby
    Level:
    Guild:
    Legends <3
    yeah that would be sweet ~f3

14. Bella

Bella Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bella
    This is a private server, not an exact replica of the original. People like the similarity of servers like this compared to the original v62, but we like some short cuts and that's why many of us chose to play.

Removal of the FM command would be a big no from me. I also see nothing wrong with adding a storage to the FM AND keeping the warp command. Same with buffing yourself in the FM.

Just my two cents though.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    caced123, John, SAKI and 3 others like this.
  15. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    At the end of the day, isn't it up to the entire player base whether certain things needs to be changed? This version of Maplestory may be considered the best, but it doesn't come without any flaws or faults.

I appriaciate everything that the GMs has done for us, but taking away a much used function in the game without an in depth discussion doesn't bode well with me.

Sila likes this.
  16. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    What are your thoughts on my personal reasons that I would want it removed it for though?

17. Gryffindor

Gryffindor Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    HellHound
    Level:
    8x
    Guild:
    Balance
    I think you should delete even more commands,i dont even use those i wanna enjoy the original maplestory experience,but i think you should put those decisions for a vote,as i see in this topic a few members responded their unhappiness already.i think it would be more fair to out a vote for every major change.

18. Zoink

Zoink Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bollocks
    Level:
    Guild:
    Nipple
    I think they don't outweigh the social importance of being able to meet up with one click of the mouse.

Rob, Sila and John like this.
  19. John

John Donator

The warp to FM button is one of the things that allows our server to have a much larger social aspect to it. Every server I played had the warp to FM button in it. Why? Primarily because that is a place where players can hang out, socialize, get to know each other, and then secondarily get buffed by their friends and quickly buy/sell/trade things.

I really don't think there's too much of an advantage a player gets by getting buffed in FM or by going there to buy/sell/trade things. At the end of the day, by removing the warp to FM button, there will be a large decline in the community setting that you currently see existing in the FM.

StrickBan, caced123, Rob and 4 others like this.
  20. tan_wei_ren

tan_wei_ren Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    maggiemee
    Level:
    Guild:
    Guardians
    As a reply to Matt, I don't seem to get why having a storage would mean a removal in the fm warp. I'm not sure about this point, but I don't think people use it to stock up on potions or stars they might need during training, but more of a last resort for the lack of space in the inventory.

Secondly, I don't concur with the opinion that the fm warp "nullifies the use of town scrolls" when you cannot actually go to the town via the fm? I personally use town scrolls a lot to return to town to sell my items to npc, so I don't think this argument stands.

Lastly, I personally don't feel that there is much of a problem with people buffing themselves with mules from the fm. It doesn't appear to be a problem as it is in fact more inconvenient if one has to constantly warp to fm and back just to get buff.

Removing the fm warp will be a step too far back, and just because of the lack of sufficient advantages you seem to suggest means it is necessary to remove it totally. Unless it can be argued that the disadvantages outweigh the benefits, fm warp should stay as a part of this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.