Catlaunch's Training Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Catlaunch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Catlaunch

Catlaunch Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Catlaunch
    [​IMG]

***AS OF MAY 26TH, THIS GUIDE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED AND WILL NOT BE EDITED UNTIL I RETURN***
    Table of Contents
    1) Introduction
    Starting Out
    2) How to Grind
    3) Training Spots
    Close Combat
    Ranged Combat
    Mage
    Fire/Poison
    Ice/Lightning
    Bishop
    4) FAQ
    5) Special Thanks To
    6) Edit Log
    Introduction
    welcome to hell. i'm your guide.
    Hello Royallers, Kyle here. Since HH won't be spawning for awhile and Ulu/Himes are empty, I decided to make a training guide for those who love to work hard on leveling. Not only does this guide benefit the rich, but also the poor! So you can make bank while training your character. Crazy, right? This is a rough draft, so it might look messy. Not to mention this is my second guide ever. Feedback would be great as well, so please help in any way!

[​IMG]
    Starting Out

we all started somewhere!
    Let's go ahead and get this out of the way; there are people who like training and there are people who don't enjoy training. I am one of the people who don't enjoy it. I know how to make it less hard and irritating, but I still don't enjoy it. I prefer farming. So at this point you're probably asking why I made a training guide if I hate training so much. Well, for one, I was bored and had nothing to do at the time. Two, people often ask "where do i train????", so maybe this guide will help a few who are lost. And third, I enjoy helping people. So why not? Anyways, enough about that. Here's some steps on improving your training days:

How to Grind
    grinding while having fun!
    1. Don't overdo it. Don't. Getting burnt out is a real thing, especially in MapleStory. Compared to other online games nowadays, MapleStory's endgame requires you to focus on only a few mobs and a few bosses. Some people are blessed and can go grinding for hours (robb/xenon/mike/etc). But for the most part, no one really enjoys grinding. Espeically when it's old-school MMO grinding. For me, I keep it to a minimal of 2 or 5 levels a day. Once it starts slowing down to a level every one or two hours, try getting a specific amount of EXP on the days you grind.
    2. Ignore the EXP bar. It may sound stupid and hard, but man does it work wonders for me and for some of my friends. If you want to learn how to ignore the EXP bar...
    3. ... distract yourself from grinding. There is a thing called media (music, tv, skype, podcasts). Use it to your advantage. I know once I start listening to some music while grinding, I get in the zone and can't keep up with the time. If for some reason you are emotionless and hate music, talking to your guild/buddies is another good way to forget you're actually training. If you are a Mage, hold a button with your finger while watching a movie or a show. If you don't want to do any of these, try partying with others and grinding. You could even make a friend while doing so.
    4. Try not to leech. This is the part that kills most players. When you leech, you're slowly killing your drive to actually train. When you see a high-leveled leecher, do you see him/her actually trying? Or do you see them begging any Mage/BF leech to give them what they want? Spoilers, it's the latter. Trust me, I've learned this countless times from myself and others. So do yourself a favor and try leveling!
    5. Set goals. This is very important not only in the real world, but in MMOs as well. If you're originally from the forums, look at all the popular high leveled people. As you can tell, they all have one thing in common; goals in their signatures Those goals could either be getting to a specific attack range, level, gear, HP washing, etc. Once you set your goal and focus on it, you'll be ppl2passing in no time. Yes, ppl2pass is a thing.
    Training Spots
    list of great maps to train and make money!
    [​IMG]
    Close Combat

10 ~ 15: Job Quest or Slime Tree
    Alternative: Henesys Hunting Ground 1, Stumps, Orbis Exchange

15 ~ 21: Line 1 <Area 1> or Henesys Hunting Ground 1
    Alternative: Forest Up North VII, Ant Tunnel

21 ~ 30: Kerning PQ or Land of Wild Boar 2

30 ~ 51: Carnival PQ
    Alternative: Terrance Hall (30 ~ 35), Cave of Evil Eye (30 ~ 40), Path of Time 2/3 (35 ~ 40), Path of Time 1 (40 ~ 51), Practice Field: Beginner (40 ~ 51), Camp 1

51 ~ 75: LMPQ (51 ~ 70),Ghost Ship 2, Forest of Golem or Voodoos
    Alternative: Ghost Ship 5, Forest of Dead Trees IV (level 51 - 60), Forgotten Path of Time <1>, Mysterious Path 3

75 ~ 95: MesoGear: Wolf Spider Cavern or Ulu Estate 2 (85 ~ 120)
    Alternative: Deep Sea Gorge II (80 ~ 95), Squids (90 ~ 95)

95 ~ 120: Encounter with the Buddha or Ulu Estate 2 ~ 3
    Alternative: Headless Horseman (100 ~ 115), Destroyed Dragon Nest (105 ~ 125)

120 ~ 200: The Dragon Nest Left Behind, Bigfoot or Temple of Time
    Alternative: Zakum (135 full exp), Twisted Paths, Papulatus, Forbidden Time, Krexel (135 full exp)

[​IMG]
    Ranged Combat

15 ~ 21: Line 1 <Area 1> or Horn Mushrooms
    Alternative: Ant Tunnel, Henesys Hunting Ground 1, Forest Up North VII

Alternative: Terrance Hall (30 ~ 35), Chronos (35 ~ 40), Platoon Chronos (40 ~ 51), Straw Training Dummies (40 ~ 51) Master Chronos (40 - 51)

51 ~ 75: LMPQ (51 ~ 70) or Voodoos
    Alternative: Water Goblin/Samiho (55 - 65), Ghost Ship 2, Ghost Ship 5, Mysterious Path 3, Forest of Dead Trees IV (level 51 - 60), Forgotten Path of Time <1>

75 ~ 95: MesoGears: Wolf Spider Cavern
    Alternative: Headless Horseman (75 ~ 115), Deep Sea Gorge II (80 ~ 95), Squids (90 ~ 95), Destroyed Dragon Nest (75 ~ 125), Ulu Estate 2 (85 ~ 120)

95 ~ 120: Encounter with the Buddha or Ulu Estate 2 ~ 3
    Alternative: Headless Horseman (75 ~ 115), Destroyed Dragon Nest (75 ~ 125)

120 ~ 200: The Dragon Nest Left Behind, Bigfoot or Temple of Time
    Alternative: Forbidden Time, Zakum (135 full exp), Twisted Paths, Papulatus, Krexel (135 full exp)

[​IMG]
    Mage
    Fire/Poison

15 ~ 21: Line 1 <Area 1>
    Alternative: Henesys Hunting Ground 1, Forest Up North VII, Ant Tunnel

Alternative: Terrance Hall (30 ~ 35), Chronos (35 ~ 40), Line 1 <Area 2> (35 ~ 40), Platoon Chronos (40 ~ 51), Ghost Ship 5 (45 ~ 70), Ghost Ship 2 (45 ~ 70, solo til 58)

51 ~ 75: Ghost Ship 1/2/5, Forest of Dead Trees III, or Forgotten Path of Time <1>
    Alternative: Camp 1, Voodoos, Mysterious Path 3

75 ~ 95: Wolf Spiders or Nest of a Dead Dragon (fog build only)
    Alternative: Forgotten Path of Time <3>, Lost Time, Ulu Estate 2 (85 ~ 120), Ghost Ship 2, Ulu Estate 2 (85 ~ 120)

95 ~ 120: Encounter with the Buddha or Nest of a Dead Dragon (fog build only)
    Alternative: Ulu Estate 2, Forbidden Time, Gobies, Destroyed Dragon Nest (solo til 100 (nests) ~ 105 (golem)), Dragon Nest Left Behind (solo til 108)

120 ~ 200: Dragon Nest Left Behind, Nest of Dead Dragon or Destroyed Dragon Nest
    Alternative: Ulu City 2 (120 ~ 130), Wolf Spiders (120 ~ 130), Ulu City Center, Temple of Time, Forbidden Time, Zakum (135 full exp), Papulatus, Twisted Path

Ice/Lightning

Alternative: Terrance Hall (30 ~ 35), Chronos (35 ~ 40), Line 1 <Area 2> (35 ~ 40), Platoon Chronos (40 ~ 51), Ghost Ship 5 (45 ~ 70), Ghost Ship 2 (45 ~ 70, solo til 58)

51 ~ 75: Ghost Ship 1/2/5, Forest of Dead Trees III, or Forgotten Path of Time <1>

75 ~ 95: Wolf Spiders
    Alternative: Forgotten Path of Time <3>, Lost Time, Ulu Estate 2 (85 ~ 120), Ghost Ship 2

95 ~ 120: Encounter with the Buddha
    Alternative: Ulu Estate 2, Forbidden Time, Gobies, Destroyed Dragon Nest (solo til 100 (nests) ~ 105 (golem)), Dragon Nest Left Behind (solo til 108)

120 ~ 200: Ulu City Center, Dragon Nest Left Behind, Nest of Dead Dragon or Destroyed Dragon Nest
    Alternative: Ulu City 2 (120 ~ 130), Wolf Spiders (120 ~ 130), Temple of Time, Forbidden Time, Zakum (135 full exp), Papulatus, Twisted Path, Krexel (135 full exp)

Bishop

75 ~ 95: Wolf Spiders (the higher holy symbol, the better)
    Alternative: Forgotten Path of Time <3>, Lost Time, Ulu Estate 2 (85 ~ 120), Ghost Ship 2,
    Battlefield of Fire and Darkness

95 ~ 120: Encounter with the Buddha

120 ~ 200: Dragon Nest Left Behind, Nest of Dead Dragon, or Destroyed Dragon Nest
    Alternative: Temple of Time, Forbidden Time, Zakum (135 full exp), Papulatus, Twisted Path, Krexel (135 full exp)

[​IMG]
    FAQ
    because people ask questions!

Question: How much does Headless Horseman hit?
    Answer: 2800 ~ 3200 damage.

Question: Is there any way to find out the spawn rate for bosses?
    Answer: http://royals.ms/forum/threads/all-bosses-in-mapleroyals.380/

Question: Temple of Time takes way too long! The quests are nearly impossible. What do I do?
    Answer: Duo with a buddy. No one should ever solo Temple of Time due to the size of all maps located in ToT. They're far too big, even for a Arch Mage/Bishop.

Question: I can't afford anything while training. What do I do?
    Answer: Pick up the things the monsters drop. This includes equips, etc, use items, and scrolls. Voting while grinding is a great way to make money, as well. People buy plenty of AP Resets and Gachapon items. Even Boars give you 5m+ with a full inventory. There's no excuse for being dead broke. Don't believe me? Check this out. http://royals.ms/forum/threads/community-money-making-thread.15511/

Question: Where can I find all these monsters? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
    Answer: http://bbb.hidden-street.net/

Question: How do I do LMPQ?
    Answer: Haven't done LMPQ in so long, but a friend of mine said this was legit. http://royals.ms/forum/showthread.php?t=11075

Question: Why Voodoos for both types of combat? It's only good for ranged players.
    Answer: Voodoos are an amazing source of money for a beginner. I went there with my Ranger, Brawler and Hermit with little to no funds and have made over 300m on each character just from selling equipment and Heartstoppers. The mob rate is lower than FoG, sure, but you'll be making more money. It's also not crowded, so there's less stress. I also found Voodoos much laid back after level 70 on my Brawler.

So tl;dr: want money, go to Voodoos. For EXP, FoG then Voodoos later. That is my view on this part of grinding.

Question: I can't do Headless Horseman, he keeps killing me in one hit! What do I do?
    Answer: You either HP wash, don't fight him at all, or attack and evade. HP washing would be ideal if you are planning to make a character who wants to boss endgame. I found attack and evading only useful for Thief-types; Chief Bandit can Meso Explode + hide while Hermit can stunlock him very easily thanks to Lucky Seven's formula. For Bowmen, not so much. Pirates? Sorta, but I would test it out first since I only did HH with a Corsair less than 3 times and maybe once on Buccaneer.

Question: Why does it say "solo til ___?"
    Answer: You won't be able to get full EXP from your party member's mobs until that specific level. If you want to know how to find out when to leech, just look them up on BBB Hidden-Street and subtract their levels by 5. For example, Slimy is level 63. 63 - 5 is 58. You must be 58 in order to get the full party EXP.

Question: These potions are useless. Where are some good pots?
    Answer: New Leaf City has the best healing potions. Buy what works best for you.

Question: I don't do enough damage to stunlock Headless Horseman. Why is that?
    Answer: Maybe you are too low of a level and should get to 85 before trying him out. I only say 75 in the guide for the funded, really. If you have went to Voodoos from 51 ~ 75, then good for you. Use all those Heartstoppers (or buy red ciders) and try to stunlock him. If you still can't, level up somewhere else. It's not worth fighting HH if you can't stunlock him at least once, as you're wasting tons of time and money. Trust me, I've learned from this mistake and wasted over 30 minutes trying to kill the guy without being hit just for ~30% at 80.

Question: I'm maxing Strafe/Shadow Partner first, but HH is never around now! What do I do?!
    Answer: Refer to Jr. Newties part for Ranged. Or fight Squids and keep yourself in a safe distance.

Question: Why even bother with Forest of Golem or Voodoos? I get much better EXP at Ghost Ship 2.
    Answer: In my opinion, GS2 is awfully boring. It's always full of people and you're bound to get KS'd there. Go ahead, check the reports. 70% of them is from GS2. So, for me, Voodoos and FoG gives the player more benefits. Not only do both give great EXP, but the two also give a pretty good amount of money (as mentioned before). FoG gives GFA 60%, while Voodoos have Heartstoppers. GS2 has Wand 60%s, which sell for less than 500k. And no one ever buys them.

Question: So why did you mention Jr. Newties at such a low level? Won't I get one-shot?
    Answer: There's a small tactic called sniping, where you hit an enemy from far away and the enemy doesn't attack you. There is a video that demonstrates how to do it.

Question: Jr. Newties won't spawn half the time. Why is that?
    Answer: If there is at least one Golem, then they will not respawn as quickly. You need to either change channels, fight the Golem without dying, or get a friend/alt/random to kill it.

Question: Why is there no leech part?
    Answer: This is a training guide, not a leveling guide.

Special Thanks To
    Hidden Street
    YouTube
    MapleRoyals
    jmmainvi
    jackass
    Manezu

Edit Log
    7/29/14: Fixed typos
    7/30/14: Added level 1 ~ 30 guides on all mages, Bishop is done
    10/22/14: All classes in, Starting Out section added
    11/4/14: More Q&A.
    12/11/14: Updated training spots.
    2/20/15: Replaced unfitting Introduction banner, fixed grammar errors and misinformation.
    3/2/15: forgot to add bigfoot lol
    3/11/15: Added Table of Contents, decreased size for laggy computers, added Krexel, added goals as a tip, little messages
    4/2/15: Q&A changes

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. jmmainvi

jmmainvi Donator

Country Flag:
    Guild:
    Heroes
    Suggestions for melee:

Evil Eyes 30 - 40
    Nightmares 40 - 55 (watch out for maple pop drops, similar to heartstoppers but for acc)
    Perion skeletons 55 - 65

Suggestions for ranged:

Master Chronos 40 - 50 (whoooo let's deflate 60% helm dex)
    Water Goblin/Samiho (map before himes) 55 - 65

FoG is totally manageable on bowmen with PKB.
    Nightmares are fine on assassins. Not quite good, but doable if you want to sell the maple pops on bowmen.
    I'd be willing to bet that mushrooms are better than bubblings for ranged and unfunded.

Catlaunch likes this.
  3. Blade

Blade Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Cifer
    um

Excuse me.

TheStoner, Goofy and Catlaunch like this.
  4. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Duo middle snipe with newties and hs mule is very effective from 85ish onwards until one of you can tank bottom golems. I did this with a ranger until about 110 or 115 and it was about one level an hour. If you have enough hp to survive a hit feel free to move past that rope to hit that 2nd newt in the middle. Just make sure there's no golem wandering around the middle or bottom because they do almost 3k damage.

Catlaunch likes this.
  5. GriZ

GriZ Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    MidN
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    Ulu estate starts at level 85 priest

6. Jack :3

Jack :3 Donator

IGN:
    xJack
    Level:
    Guild:
    Synergy
    I would suggest 51-72 LMPQ...i dont think there is anything faster than that, if you get good party you can do 1 minute runs with 100k+ exp per run

Catlaunch likes this.
  7. Catlaunch

Catlaunch Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Catlaunch
    Not seeing the issue. I ran out and used those just fine.

Forgot about that. Will add.

Added Evil Eyes, Master ChronosWater Goblin/Samiho and Perion Skeletons. I tried Nightmares a few times, didn't find it too great. And I tried FoG with maxed PKB, still couldn't do it well due to the fact that my platforms had almost no safe spots. Maybe if I have a party it'd be better?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  8. jmmainvi

jmmainvi Donator

Country Flag:
    Guild:
    Heroes
    I think he was commenting on your typo (cifers instead of ciders) and the fact that his character name is cifer.

Catlaunch likes this.
  9. Catlaunch

Catlaunch Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Catlaunch
    Are you sure? Everytime I come to Wolf Spiders there's almost no Priest available. Not only that, but there are always more than 5 open channels for WS. And if you don't want to solo, just smega "R> WS, I have HS". Works almost every time. Also, most of the time GS2 is filled with people who either don't want to party with you or already have Holy Symbol.

10. Goofy

Goofy Donator

IGN:
    Goofy
    Guild:
    Queens
    I just trained my priest at anchors instead of dealing with WS parties. Exp was about the same (maybe the attackers I was with sucked, idk). I stayed there until I could solo himes, which strangely was also better than partying.

Katsuruka likes this.
  11. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    This was my experience during my early 70s and even 80s. Although I stuck with Ghost Ship 2 mainly, I considered a Solo path most of the time.

12. Catlaunch

Catlaunch Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Catlaunch
    Huh, I'll test it out sometime soon with my Priest.

13. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    For Bishops, Ulu Estate 2 is on par with 2 shot Skelegons once you can 1 shot the Slygies which is around 1250 Magic. Not for everyone, but the leech there is extremely fast for level 90s.

14. Plenty

Plenty Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Plenty
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hollywood
    How did you get those banners?

15. Catlaunch

Catlaunch Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Catlaunch
    Oh, forgot to visit this thread. I made them in BannedStory with the Map/Mob options.

16. Catlaunch

Catlaunch Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Catlaunch
    Finally added all the classes. Feel free to nitpick Mage section.

17. Vapor

Vapor Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Vapor
    Level:
    i tried newts and tbh it seems really slow o.o and idk where else to train im a 78 hermit btw =p so if anyone has any other spots for a hermit i would like to know =)

18. Catlaunch

Catlaunch Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Catlaunch

19. The Uhaul

The Uhaul Member

Why are windraiders not a thing? I remember back in the day they were like the best.

dex likes this.
  20. jmmainvi

jmmainvi Donator

Country Flag:
    Guild:
    Heroes
    The spawn used to be REALLY bad. Like 1-2 monsters per platform. Although the spawn has been increased, it's still quite a bit lower than it was in GMS. They're not a bad spot to train at now, they're just not as good as the alternatives (ghost ship/voodoos/wolfspiders, since they overlap with the end of one and the start of the next)

Catlaunch likes this.