Suggestion: Flush out repeat offenders (scamming)

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Manslut, Oct 13, 2015.

1. deionize

deionize Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    deionize
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ohms
    I agree. He is a notorious scammer and there is zero value in retaining a scammer in this game. (much like how there is zero value in retaining hackers in this game)

Fluazinam and Cyclone like this.
  2. snowday

snowday Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    snowday
    Level:
    Guild:
    Winter
    Sort of off topic at this point, but can someone give me examples of how people scam? At least, in ways that aren't entirely your fault/you being careless (i.e. shop bundles)? Only one i can think of is scamming leech, or like, looting bosses. Not paying someone for fame lol..?

3. Jeen

Jeen Donator

Guild:
    ♬♩Radio♩♬
    http://royals.ms/forum/threads/newer-community-blacklist.38223/
    In my opinion, I have yet to see a scam that wasn't preventable and the player being careless. The only arguable one would be if you tried to buy scam and they actually had a bishop and brought you to the map. If people would like, I can go ahead and attach this link to my signature (next to the leech whitelist which has a list of legit leechers/leech scammers) so people have another way of reaching this link.

4. Katsuruka

Katsuruka Donator

The majority of scamming cases in recent months have involved someone accepting payment for leech but then not leeching the player who has paid them for it.

The problems with this are twofold:
    1) You can't always know how honest/reliable the player selling leech is. You can check the community blacklist and leech whitelist, but if the player isn't on either list, it can be really hard to make a judgment.
    2) Proving that leech didn't happen is really, really difficult. Let's face it, people aren't going to record - for example - 3-hour videos each time they leech someone just so that they can defend themselves against any accusations.

The second point explains why the staff can't really implement a rule against scamming. If you think about it, just about everything we ban for is something that a player did do. We ban if there's sufficient evidence available to suggest that they did something - for example, botting, account sharing, ban evading, hacking, harassing someone, smega-ing something inappropriate, ks-ing, duping, glitch abuse, vote abuse, logging into the game with the wrong .wz files, etc. Banning for something that somebody didn't do is far less likely to happen because there's typically insufficient actual evidence.

Dapper likes this.
  5. Moo

Moo Donator

IGN:
    Moooooooo
    Guild:
    Fate/Home
    Don't most people pay for a service once it's been given to them?
    The few times I paid for leech before receiving it is when I fully trusted the seller.

I pay for stuff once it's been done. I would recommend you do the same.

6. Jeen

Jeen Donator

Guild:
    ♬♩Radio♩♬
    Unfortunately, this resulted in many people not paying for leech and just logging off.

7. Enticing

Enticing Donator

IGN:
    Kaydril
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    if you think this is bad, zico and a real life friend (i have multiple pieces of proof that backs this up) applied to hollywood a while back. Zico was declined but his friend was accepted. His friend joined for a few months before quitting and joinijg another guild. He still keeps incontact with zico despite being the scumbag scammer he is. I even have evidence that this player who for all intents and purposes has reaped the benefits of zicos scamming.

Im not sure im ready to open up the server onto my head since this player is realitvely well known in a pretty big guild.

"Legit" player who knows and plays alongside a scammer is just as dirty imo.

Plenty likes this.
  8. John

John Donator

What's wrong with playing alongside a scammer? As long as they're not doing anything wrong themselves or condoning the scamming, I don't think there's an issue. I have countless friends who do things I don't approve of but doesn't mean I'm not friends with them...

9. Enticing

Enticing Donator

IGN:
    Kaydril
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    I have reason to believe that zico is purchasing things with the scammed meso to give to his friend who also holds the trust of a lot of people. How is that acceptable?

I understand not throwing away a friendship if they get caught up in something bad. But when you then benefit from their actions knowingly then i dont see any difference between you or the law/rule breaker

ive played maple a very long time. Ive seen this exact scenario play out multiple times. Ive never seen it turn out well. So im a lot more skeptical.

Plenty likes this.
  10. Enticing

Enticing Donator

IGN:
    Kaydril
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    Also. Maple is a game built on a foundation of trust. If i knew someone irl who intentionally mislead people under that premise not once not twice but atleast a dozen times and has the audacity to brag about it in game, i struggle to find myself willing to be around that person. How you are online says A LOT about who you are period.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has skeletons, myself included. Im not talking about someone whose a typical case. Im talking about somone whose actions are an outlier. Zico is a systematic manipulator. And to have a friend who plays himself off legit yet gains the benefits of Zicos actions doesnt sit right with me. At all

Plenty and lilaznpnk like this.
  11. Cyclone

Cyclone Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Cyc10ne
    Level:
    10x
    Guild:
    New Player
    from the post... he says the player has "reaped the benefits" from zico's scamming.

12. Moo

Moo Donator

IGN:
    Moooooooo
    Guild:
    Fate/Home
    I'm aware of that, but even so typically you pay for something after receiving it. There is a silver lining for the seller if they don't receive the payment they are due. There is no silver lining for a buyer who pays to receive nothing.

I do understand why leech sellers would want payment upfront though. I wouldn't mind paying trusted leech sellers upfront but if I haven't really heard of the guy I would wait for the service to be provided. I like the idea of having the community leeching whitelist because of this - it lists the names of sellers which you can run through your group of friends/check through the forums to judge whether or not that person can be trusted.

I think this would be a very good idea

13. snowday

snowday Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    snowday
    Level:
    Guild:
    Winter
    Buy leech at your own risk.

AFAIK, the only reason its allowed here is that there is no way to enforce its prohibition.

14. Stan

Stan Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SgtYellow
    Level:
    15x
    Guild:
    Nipple
    On the incredibly rare occasion that I have bought leech, undoubtedly from someone that I am not familiar with, I will pay half the payment upfront and the rest at the end of the hour. (Granted, I have never been a victim of scamming in this sense so its hard to compare situations).