Bucc QoL suggestion: Fixing the hitbox of Snatch

Discussion in 'Closed' started by LichWiz, Jan 17, 2020.

1. LichWiz

LichWiz Well-Known Member

IGN:
    IronShichika
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Fixing the hitbox of Snatch

Lately, I've got to a high enough lvl with my bucc to allow myself to spare some skill points and put them on snatch.
    When i got around to play with it, I discovered a really fun grinding skill that could be paired with Dragon Strike to great effects.
    But the more I used it, the more i felt the hitbox just doesn't fit the visuals of this skill. I try to snatch a mob that is far away, see the skill very obviously hit the mob, but still doesn't connect, and in times where I am in the middle of a mob, and expect the mob to get hurt like the rest of the mobs I got into the combo, I only end up hitting with the Dragon Strike.

This is an example for how it looks like to wiff a shot with snatch:

The reason for that visual disparity is due to 2 factors:

1. The hitbox of snatch is simply not as long as the visuals may imply, it's positioned on the rope somewhere behind the bladed tip. So even when a mob is stationary, it won't hit it if only the tip touchs the mob.

2. Most skills in the game are basically a "hit-scan", that means, once you pressed the button, the game already decided if you were in range. So if your skill has a windup animation, The visuals won't match with the position of the mob if the mob decided to move while you casted the skill. In the second attack shown in the video, because the mob walked forward, the skill looked like it completely covered the mob without hitting it.

To fix this issue, i suggest these two changes:

1. This one is pretty straight forward, just have a small increase in the hitbox, so that the tip of the blade will be mostly covered when fully stretched.

2. Remove a single frame of windup, this might sound like it wouldn't do much, but together with the first suggestion it should give a far more responsive experience with the skill.
    windup.gif
    I think frame 1 or 2 of the windup can be discarded without hurting the flow of the animation.

The second issue is how the skill do not hit mobs that are on you

From the video it seems like the way it checks if a skill is hit, is if the center of the mob is within the hitbox, and the hitbox seems to end dead center of the character's avatar (or maybe even a bit forward from the player's center). So if the mob is slightly to the side of it, the skill won't catch him.

The issue with that, is that snatch is usually paired with dragon strike as a combo to clear mobs, DS is capable of hitting mobs that are on you, and even slightly behind you. So when you expect to be able to pull the combo, and kill the mobs, the one that is on you only got hit from half the combo and still survives.

To fix that, the hitbox would need to be extended slightly behind the center of the player, so that the entire player will be covered by the hitbox.

I'd personally love to see these changes to the skill to make it more responsive and enjoyable to use! :)
    (thanks for reading this unreasonably indepth feedback post lol)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Cloudette, Tsue, NTR and 12 others like this.
  2. xDarkomantis

xDarkomantis Well-Known Member

Guild:
    Akatsuki
    Is it possible for you to provide video links? I can't see the videos in your OP.

3. LichWiz

IGN:
    IronShichika
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    There you go:
    imgur.com /a/vst8B0w#pE1Ebvp

imgur.com /a/VkmHlkB#FmDmfRR

[remove the space between imgur.com and the /a stuff, if i put them together it automatically embeds them]

NTR and xDarkomantis like this.
  4. LichWiz

IGN:
    IronShichika
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    This suggestion was implimented on update 65!

@Karven Thank you <3 ~f15