General Should banned players be given a second chance?

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Aqwrd, Apr 15, 2022.

?

Should banned players be allowed to make a new account?

1. Yes, they should be able to make a new account.

25 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Yes, but only after a period of time has passed.

98 vote(s)
    49.0%
  3. No, they should not be allowed back on the server at all.

59 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. I don't know/care.

18 vote(s)
    9.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seyu

Seyu Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Seyu
    Level:
    Haven't followed this thread in a bit so pardon me if I'm re-treading old ground but recent ban appeals have reminded me that something needs to be done to prevent what I see as accidental vote abuse by people who just don't read the instructions. (More cynically this 'accidental' abuse could be intentional vote abusers who are trying to maintain plausible deniability).

I have a few ideas for hopefully less complex solutions to the issue. The general approach is to give players an error message when they try to double-vote, even on different accounts, to make it much harder to claim innocence when double-voting.

Option 1) Create a fingerprint for each player. The admins most likely have access to some form of this already, or else they wouldn't be able to ban players for vote abuse, but if this could be automated, it would be great. So each player's alt accounts are digitally still associated with the player, allowing the system to give them a central timer to prevent double-voting.

I don't know if this is possible, though, since knowledge of only the IP address is obviously not enough info for the digital fingerprint since GTOP already requires different IP, but perhaps there's other identifying data that can be detected via browser.

Option 2) Require players who are creating a new account to declare if they already own a main account. This way the voting cooldown can be synced across accounts. Some verification of ownership of the original account is probably required, so perhaps an email message to accept the linking might work. This would require old players to re-do some of their account details for sure, but the declaration of accounts should prevent accidental vote abuse, and make double-voting impossible UNLESS you lie about your account being a main account. And perhaps the system could be made backwards compatible so old players can add account details on an opt-in basis, but all new players MUST use this new system.

An IP check can also be done at this stage. For example, as the player creates a new account, the database can check what other accounts have been accessed from that IP and say "Does this IGN look familiar to you? Please declare if it is yours." This further reduces plausible deniability and makes it clearer when vote abuse is happening.

---

I just think it's really really sad that people are getting banned for vote abuse. Banning people is bad as it hurts the game population. Vote abuse is also bad as it hurts the game economy. I just want to try and fix all the bad stuff so we can ALL enjoy the game better.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    ReydeN and Jaechi like this.
  2. afrodita

afrodita Member

They unfairly annulled my appeal for sharing the account even though I was in my own house, since a family member played it while I was at work, I even joked inside Mapleroyals that my sister played it, we all make mistakes.
    They should investigate me thoroughly and see if I can still recover my account, because until now I know that I did not commit any offense as serious as selling mesos in real life, that is a very serious offense, that account sharing rule It creates a lot of confusion, because just like me there are several who have a family member who plays it at home, only that time I said it and someone reported me.
    The administrators should review those who did not commit serious offenses but in depth, so far I do not believe that they banned my account they should understand the time and sacrifice it takes to level up and worse if you get unfairly banned

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  3. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Forum Moderator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    Account sharing is serious cause it will lead to many other complicated situations such as account ownership, equip ownership dispute, character ownership dispute

Players and their family members may play Royals together, but only with their own accounts

4. afrodita

afrodita Member

Would you let someone else use your account? people leave mapleroyals because they get banned even in the slightest mistake, of course it's an excuse for ignorance but even like me there are several, they should give those who were unfairly banned an opportunity to investigate.
    I think this vote will take time, maybe a few more months until they agree

5. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    As mentioned before, letting someone else use the account will create issues of ownership

All games have the rule of account sharing, is just that they did not enforce it, while Royals do enforce it

6. afrodita

afrodita Member

they seem to go to the second option seems good to me
    upload_2022-5-20_21-40-6.png

7. Sen

Sen Donator

IGN:
    Sentenial
    when did this thread turn into one big group ban appeal?

Skyra, Tobi, Seyu and 5 others like this.
  8. KDT

KDT Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ZeusMuse69
    Level:
    Guild:
    Heart
    just the way we like it

Shnang and Sen like this.
  9. Shnang

Shnang Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Sena
    Level:
    Guild:
    Home
    Beginning to see a trend here....

Sen, Tobi, Becca and 1 other person like this.
  10. Saledor

Saledor Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Saledor
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ohms
    lmfao bruh
    you win

Shnang likes this.
  11. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    More Ban Appeals here = this thread closer to being locked :tobenawoo:

Sen, Becca and bibz like this.
  12. Shiratsuyu

Shiratsuyu Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shiratsuyu
    Level:
    Guild:
    Kemono
    Once a real world trader, always a real word trader.
    Cheaters in general tend to not change their ways. Even with the perma ban in place, RWT and hacking are still very common, so being more lenient doesn't feel like a good idea to me.
    They changed so minor infractions are no longer perma bannable and that's good enough for me. Having a really shitty day and letting it out on someone else can be considered a mistake. Choosing to trade something for real money or downloading a hacking software is not a mistake. Those people can stay gone for good.

Knoxz, Kingdrassss, Pure and 3 others like this.
  13. LordJuampy619xD

LordJuampy619xD Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Juampy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tesla
    Well to start my name is Juampy and the truth is that I am a relatively new player with (1 year and 6 months of play), after having carefully read the comments in the different posts I would add the following to all: I have been blocked from the game for committing a fault and the truth is that MAYBE IT IS TRUE, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO CLARIFY THAT IT WAS NOT WITH THE INTENTION OF HARMING ANYONE, MUCH LESS THE GAME, my person usually when the game was recommended to me, do not hesitate to download it and play since in that moment I was extremely excited to relive nostalgic memories of the maple in that version, my experience was, is and will continue to be the best with respect to this server, since it allows us interaction between colleagues or friends; something that does not happen in other versions of the GMS, to be honest, I personally agree with some ideas on the part of the group in which they make the blocking posts or restrictions, but I am of the idea that from my perspective I AM MAJOR ABUSIVE VOTES or HACKERS AND/OR COMPUTER PIRATES must not return to the field of play however, in my particular case I will be frank and honest NO matter if they unlock me or not but I think I HAVE NOT ACTED WITH MALICE WITH RESPECT TO WANTING TO DAMAGE THE GAME, MUCH LESS I HAVE COMMITTED RTW or have obtained benefit in real life or in the game since I've always liked to work hard (not to be misunderstood with the foul that has been imposed), I've always done APQ and selling leech so I can outdo myself and buy my legitimate stuff, as to whether or not we should go back to game those of us who are suspended would have the administrators or GM do a thorough investigation to determine if the sanction received IS IN ACCORDANCE or IS FAIR with the fault or action carried out if it has produced a GREAT EQUITY IMBALANCE since I PRESUME that they must have a record of everything the game, CONVERSATIONS, TRADES MADE, PURCHASES MADE, REGISTRATION OR ACTIVATION RECORDS IN THE GAME, ETC... But I would not want to underestimate the work of the GMs either, I would only ask that it be m more objective and less arbitrary. Since as I have seen in the comments WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS AND WE MAKE MISTAKES, in my case the mistake I made was not reading the rules of the game before SINCE I GOT SO EXCITED TO PLAY AND REMEMBER OLD TIMES AGAIN, I ask the forum to read from the comment carefully and that they respond WITHOUT SARCASM OR LESS IRONY, IF NOT THAT THEY MAKE RATHER A CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. TO CLOSE I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A PRIVATE TALK AND BE ABLE TO GIVE OR PROVIDE MORE DETAILS WITH AN ADMINISTRATOR OR GM. (AS I REPEAT, MY INTENTION HAS NOT BEEN TO HARM ANYBODY, MUCH LESS THE SERVER) but it brings me a lot of nostalgia not being able to play in something that I am quite passionate about and above all I find a DES-Stress.

Sen likes this.
  14. nut

nut Donator

IGN:
    nutleafcity
    Level:
    poo
    This thread has run its course, and we're going to close it. As these types of threads go, they inevitably become a soap box for formerly banned players to once again come and plead their case. Naturally, those who were banned would have the most interest in this thread. That is not to discount everyone's voiced concerns, nor is it to cast stigma on all banned players. We on staff are players too, and this topic is constantly on our minds. Of course, we care about player retention and fairness, however for significant changes to occur, we require a system and plan that is feasible. One that is less open to abuse to the one we have now. More importantly, one that can be carried out consistently and fairly given the manpower we have, and especially one that allows us to take care of past cases.

I'll highlight some staff and former staff (@Sen and @Dave Deviluke ) responses below, in case anyone would like to quickly find staff thoughts on the matter.

@Becca - https://royals.ms/forum/threads/should-banned-players-be-given-a-second-chance.203910/#post-1208396

@Sen - https://royals.ms/forum/threads/should-banned-players-be-given-a-second-chance.203910/#post-1208414

@Dave Deviluke - https://royals.ms/forum/threads/sho...en-a-second-chance.203910/page-3#post-1209507

@Dave Deviluke - https://royals.ms/forum/threads/sho...en-a-second-chance.203910/page-4#post-1209585

* @Becca - https://royals.ms/forum/threads/sho...en-a-second-chance.203910/page-5#post-1212773

@Matt - https://royals.ms/forum/threads/sho...en-a-second-chance.203910/page-6#post-1214708

With *Becca being of more significance and a personal experience. This doesn't mean that no change will happen, but that it is incredibly complicated. Thank you all for the feedback.

Becca, Seyu, Saledor and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.