Game Challenge: Ironman Mode (Solo, DIY - No Trading)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PaddysPub, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Tim Steezy

Tim Steezy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    MoonPresence
    Level:
    Guild:
    Obsidian
    [​IMG]
    This is my last ironman character I promise LOOL. Decided to go back to my main back in the day, and my favorite class. Made this char a few days ago and only voted on this acc with it, bought some nx to make it stand out and here we are. SHADOWER HYPE!

Samadhi likes this.
  2. Tim Steezy

Tim Steezy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    MoonPresence
    Level:
    Guild:
    Obsidian

3. Samadhi

Samadhi Donator

IGN:
    Samadhi
    Guild:
    Ironman
    Well, this is mostly a curiosity, but I've just earned my 1st DIY bil (a few months worth of pure meso drop / npc)! :xD:

[​IMG]

I may write something in the next few weeks. Truth is, due to a mix of bad luck and irl stuff going on, nothing flashy happened build and gear progression wise. I just keep slowly levelling and slowly making minimal gear upgrades. We will see!

Yiks, Eika, StrickBan and 4 others like this.
  4. Joong

Joong Developer

Made a considerable amount of progress on my new Ironman, Anshin, a Brawler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He is now almost lv 70!

And made some smaller (although equally time consuming) progress on my Bowmaster!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is now level 126!

5. Bella

Bella Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bella
    Are you playing still?
    I'm going to re-play my F/P.

Royalty, Samadhi and T3nsu like this.
  6. T3nsu

T3nsu Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    aBitAwkward
    Level:
    -
    Still going and god donut I've been gone from forums for long time >__> Bad Jr here ^^" I'll post a pic of claw + progress once I hit 110 :D gl hf everyone

Samadhi likes this.
  7. Joong

Joong Developer

Still grinding!

[​IMG]

Finishing up ToT quest-line, got SE30, Hurricane 20, and am now trying to drop Hurricane 30 from Pap. Solo life is really neat.

Royalty and Samadhi like this.
  8. DjGameK1ng

DjGameK1ng Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DjGameKnight
    I'm coming back tomorrow to this challenge. I am going to be switching classes though, so you can kick my Bucc out of the guild. I'll will be making a Hero. I just wasn't feeling Bucc, so I'm gonna try Hero and stick with it. I'll post the name when I start in the morning (For me morning, at least. Stupid timezones).

9. DjGameK1ng

DjGameK1ng Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DjGameKnight
    [​IMG]
    Welp, like I said, I started over. I'm going for a Hero this time and I'm sticking with it. I didn't have enough NX for my full cosmetics... f3

Samadhi likes this.
  10. Arid

Arid Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Arid
    Put me down. Going to be a Bandit named Turbulent.

Samadhi likes this.
  11. Samadhi

Samadhi Donator

IGN:
    Samadhi
    Guild:
    Ironman
    So, today we had our first DIY-Zakum run; party was entirely made of hilariously unfunded Ironman challengers.
    Sadly we did not succeed due to people dying / d/cing during different phases of the battle (and our only survivor decided to call it early), but it was our first time, so mostly a test-drive to check our strength and assets. Despite not being speedrunners, we made it to the 3rd body without difficulties, and hopefully we have good chances to bring this home in the future! Even if this run was unsuccessful, I will post some screenshots for science purpose (or if you want to have a good laugh)!

Rules were simple: 120+ chars, and in case of success only relevant Skill / Mastery books looting allowed.

Party:
    Chieftess - level 129 Bowmaster
    IronNacht - level 143 Hero
    Samadhi - level 155 Paladin
    TonyStarks - level 121 Shadower

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, in the end, we had a lot of fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    MrDrk, Royalty, T3nsu and 3 others like this.
  12. T3nsu

T3nsu Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    aBitAwkward
    Level:
    -
    Okais! Some time has passed and I've (finally) made some progress! :D So I got the 110 claw on and Killed a bigfoot! \o/ Näyttökuva (31).png not sure if allowed to curse in pics but w/e

Cats likes this.
  13. Samadhi

Samadhi Donator

IGN:
    Samadhi
    Guild:
    Ironman
    I'm currently inactive in game due to irl stuff going on. Hopefully, I'll be back by the end of the summer.
    I'll make sure that our contact section in the opening post always stays up-to-date. :)

I'll try to make up for my hiatus by posting a little update for the guild: things are still going, and we had two fresh 3rd job advancements this weekend!

Anshin (@Joong), from Brawler to Marauder! (Dude makes seriously awesome videos!)

Foxz (@Dylanducki), from Assassin to Hermit! Yay Avenger!
    [​IMG]

Congrats guys! :)

Yiks, Royalty and Joong like this.
  14. Bizarre

Bizarre Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Angsty
    Level:
    Within the month I'll be returning to answer the call for the Iron Man challenge. Being on the lookout. I'll be back on my Hunter, Angsty.

Samadhi likes this.
  15. Nostaigia

Nostaigia Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Nostaigia
    Level:
    Welp im back in this thread for the 10th time.

What do yall think is the funnest ironman/DIY class?

Classes I've already done - NL, BM, Mages, Sair

Classes I'm thinking about - Paladin, Hero, DrK, XBow

Leaning towards the warrior tree for DIY ...but not sure which would likely be the most fun, farmable, etc.

Samadhi likes this.
  16. Yiks

Yiks Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Yiks
    Level:
    Real life's been robbing me of game time, glad to see fellow Ironmen going strong still! Miss you guys ;-;

Samadhi likes this.
  17. Moose

Moose Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Soleil
    Level:
    Guild:
    Legends
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    RIP 11 Mil.
    RIP Toe. Handed it in for the wrong quest.
    FML.

T3nsu and Samadhi like this.
  18. Samadhi

Samadhi Donator

IGN:
    Samadhi
    Guild:
    Ironman
    The warrior tree is a smooth choice for a solo journey.
    Can't really answer for the Fun™ part (it also depends on how far you plan to go or how much you value the whole classic "minmaxing" stuff), but I can try to give a quick overview for the farmable part.

Generally speaking: shield Watk scrolls are gach only.
    Endgame weapons such as Stonetooth, Ski Ski, and Crushed Skull are gach only. 30% 2h-Axe, 1h-Sword and 1h-BW are gach only.

Hero: 30% 2h-Sword and 1h-Axe are farmable from Cloud Foxes in Mushroom shrine.
    Brandish 30 drops from Papulatus and Krexel. Brandish + Fast Sword combo is just good even if unfunded. ACA is from Zakum (being ACA-less is basically a DPS nerf).
    Plenty of DEX scrolls options available from mobs too, so meeting the 120 DEX req for the ST is not a hard goal (we already have/had 2 ST users within the Challenge).

Paladin: if you go BW, the combo Skull + Shield is entirely gacha dependant. ACB, your main 4th job training skill, is from Zakum. Going without ACB means that you're stuck with Slash Blast, which can be a test of patience.
    Blast 30 drop from Papulatus and Lyka.
    30% 2h-BW are farmable in Shrine/Showa, and 60% 2h-BW are farmable at OB4 and Skele, two really popular endgame training spots.

Dark Knight: Zerk 20 and 30 are Zak/HT exclusive, but I think their 3rd job is the most efficient and diverse of the whole tree. Spear 30s are available from Wolf Spiders. Spear 60s have a somewhat derpy drop table.

As for xbowmen: Crossbow 30s are farmable from 2 mobs (Himes and Red Slimes, while Bow 30% are gacha only). Snipe is Zak/Horntail dependant.

As a final note:
    I've always considered the Challenge itself as a silly but fun experiment, mostly a test of patience.
    As Maplestory offers a quite rigid/fixed character progression, there's this (understandable) fear of "missing out".
    I've seen people making class choices based on how good that class would ideally be on late 4th job, severely underestimating their solo journey before that point (getting to 120 without PQs, HS parties or Leech remains for many people a fair challenge even under 4X exp - and some jobs have it worse).

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Joong and Royalty like this.
  19. DjGameK1ng

DjGameK1ng Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DjGameKnight
    Well, after a brief break, since I couldn't stand my internet's connection for a while, I returned to the challenge. I continued my Fighter, since it wasn't too long of a break. This is some of the progress I made in the three days I'm back :p

Well, on the first day I was back, I didn't do too much. This thing challenged me:
    Maple0022.jpg
    And let's just put it at this: this is a good image of all my screenshots. Seeing this thing, getting pissed off by it since it hurts, it heals it self and I can't really hit it very well and then taking it down. Like this:
    Maple0023.jpg
    Take that you bastard!
    This was all that day one offered, since I got disconnected and said: "I'll try again tomorrow"

Day two:
    I took down the bastard 2 more times. It deserved it!
    Maple0024.jpg
    Maple0025.jpg

This next pic is because I realized I was going to use my Maple Soul Singer instead of my favorite weapon in the entire game (the Zard) when I leveled up one more level.
    Maple0026.jpg

On with more killing of that bastard!
    Maple0028.jpg Maple0029.jpg

And then the final (and quickest) run, with my Maple Shield and my Maple Soul Singer (which was this morning):
    Maple0030.jpg
    Maple0031.jpg
    That showed the bastard!
    When I get back online later today, I'm probably going to be moving on to Forest of Golem, since I can now hit them reliably, because of the Maple Soul Singer. I don't have many Dex equips yet, but the only reason I would want them is accuracy. I'll be going after the Maple Soul Rohen next. I will stick with 2-handed swords most likely and I know I'm going to have to buy a lot of Gachapon tickets for the Dragon Claymore. Yes, I'm not going for the Stonetooth Sword, since I think it's an ugly weapon. Maybe I'll take the Stonetooth if there is an interesting Cash Shop weapon I can cover it up with. -.-'

tralalapj, Moose and Samadhi like this.
  20. Bella

Bella Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bella
    So I leveled a few times :)
    upload_2016-8-13_18-32-47.png

upload_2016-8-13_18-32-56.png

Trixie, Direwolf, Danny and 5 others like this.