Community Von Leon Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by cremcrem, Nov 4, 2022.

1. cremcrem

cremcrem Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    cremcrem

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Von Leon is a very tough boss, certainly not for the faint of heart. Completing this boss requires clear and efficient communication, so we would recommend having a regular group to run with.
    We really enjoyed the challenge of figuring out the new mechanics for this fight, and eventually working towards clearing it. We are also very happy with the fact that this fight necessitates collaborating with the community. The people running in our first clear all came from different guilds/boss groups, and we were all brought together by the prospect of clearing Von Leon. With that in mind, we are proud to share what we've learned with all of you, the community.

Table of Contents
    1. Introduction
    2. Prerequisites
    3. Party Composition
    4. Class Tips
    5. Boss Information
    6. Boss Skills
    7. Aerial Prison
    8. Drops
    9. How to Maintain Mental Acuity
    10. Credits
    11. Final Thoughts
    Von Leon Expedition
    • Recommended HP: 17.5k
    • Level Requirement: 175
    • Time Limit: 1 Hour
    • Minimum Expedition Size: 6
    • Max Expedition Size: 30
    • Recommended Expedition Size: 18+
    • Expedition limited to 2 entries per week per character (Mon - Sun).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is our recommendation for parties for the most efficient method for communication & buffs.

Recommended Core Party Composition:
    DPS Party Option 1: 5 NL + 1 SE
    DPS Party Option 2: Bucc (SI) + Warrior + any class that benefits from SI
    DPS Party Option 3: Shad, Sair, + any class that aren't too reliant on buffs
    Bucc PT: 4-5 Buccs + 1-2 Flexi spot
    Bishop PT: 4 Bishops + 2 Flexi spots

Role #1: Party Leaders
    Description: Each party should have an assigned party leader who are comfortable with party juggling while giving clear instructions to other party leaders.
    Roles:
    • Party Leaders should have a /partyinvite command with all 5 of your party members copied on your clipboard to invite party members back in after they've been revived.
    • Have a backup party leader decided ahead of time to pass party lead in case you die and need to leave the party.
    Role #2: Death Party
    Description: This method minimizes the actions and chatter required to revive players.
    Method:
    1. When someone dies, they should leave the party and take note of their timer.
    2. Dead people close to each other forms a party together and request to get revived from a BS.
    3. After the party is revived, disband the party and request to return to your party.

[​IMG]
    Night Lord
    - Night Lords have high survivability with Shadow Shifter.
    - Night Lords are able to stay out of range Lightning & Claw attacks should you be below 17.5k HP.

Corsair
    - Sairs can duck on boat to dodge Grey Vulture's stun.
    - Sairs can place their beacon on VL so that they can still target him while mobs are summoned. Whenever VL teleports, you will have to place a new beacon.

Bowmaster/Marksman
    - Primary role is to keep SE up for Night Lords as their damage is greatly reduced if they do not have it.
    - Try not to use birds as it makes it harder for people to see animations.

Buccaneer
    - Buccs can use Barrage+Demo combo, but MUST look out for VL's Summon Tombstone animation (Hands turn green. Gif can be seen below). Buccs can cancel animation after you see VL's hands turn green and time demolition to avoid getting hit.
    - Buccs only fatal mistake is getting caught by VL's Summon Tombstone while performing Barrage+Demo combo. A safer option would be to use Barrage+Dragon Strike, and changing to demolition when you feel more comfortable.
    - When a bishop calls for a TL, figure out the order of which bucc will TL them. This is why buccs are usually in a party together.

Shad
    - If you have less than 17.5k hp, make sure to learn the DP animation, and be sure to reapply MG after getting DP'ed.
    - Be careful when using BStep + Assassinate so that you don't get locked in an animation under falling rocks.
    - Switch to BStep + BoT when mobs spawn to help clear them.
    - Decide ahead of time with your group whether or not to use Smokescreen during the run. Especially with newer groups, Smokescreen can be more of a detriment than an asset, as it could trick people from other parties into a false sense of safety. If your group does decide to use smokes, make sure to time them, and give warnings to your party before they run out.
    - If you're familiar with the class and the range of Assaulter, you can Assaulter through VL to dodge rocks.

Bishop
    - Bishop's main role is to stay alive as deaths are inevitable with the team size.
    - When enough bishops have used a res, then make a party amongst yourselves to request TL from a bucc.

Dark Knight
    - Zerking at VL is possible and from our experience, DRKs have never gotten hit for more than 13.6k from any attacks, so set your pet HP where you're comfortable at. Manual potting is required.
    - Watch out for bleed due to the bleed effects that could potentially kill you.

[​IMG]
    Boss HP: 4b HP
    • Body 1: 1b HP
    • Body 2: 1.25b HP
    • Body 3: 1.75b HP
    Accuracy Required: 220 acc is required at lvl 180+. For each level below 180, you need an additional 10 accuracy. e.g. you need 270 acc at level 175.
    Weakness: VL is weak to holy, lightning, and poison.
    Recommended HP: 17.5k HP.
    Highest damage taken was <17.4k (Lightning & Magic Claw).
    Other Notes: There is no touch damage for VL.

[​IMG]
    Skill Name: Falling Golems
    Skill Description: Summons falling entities resembling rocks that will 1 shot anyone unlucky enough to stand in their way. Before the rocks fall, their destinations are marked by ankhs, or tombstones, on the ground. If you are standing on a tombstone, move out of the way fast!
    Skill Damage: 100k-199k
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Skill Name: BIRBY
    Skill Description: VL will roar followed by a vulture that will travel a great distance. Anyone hit will be afflicted with 1/1 and stun duration 3 seconds. Can be avoided by ducking.
    Skill Damage: 1/1
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Skill Name: Magic Claw
    Skill Description: This skill will hit a small area in front, applying slow to anyone hit.
    Skill Damage: ~17.4k
    [​IMG]

Skill Name: Reverse Lightning
    Skill Description: Slams the ground, a small area in front, inflicing Crazy Skull debuff 10 seconds, which reverses your controls.
    Skill Damage: ~17.4k dmg.
    [​IMG]

Skill Name: Teleport
    Skill Description: VL will teleport, usually in the direction he is facing.
    Skill CD: 1 minute
    Initial Cast: 99% hp of each body
    [​IMG]

Skill Name: Banish
    Skill Description: This skill will banish 40% of all alive characters (rounded up) to the map Aerial Prison with each job receiving a unique jail.. See below for guides on how to clear each room.
    Skill CD: 4 minutes
    Initial Cast: 3 minutes from the start of each body
    Additional Notes: This skill is disabled when VL is below 15% hp in Body 3
    [​IMG]

Skill Name: Summon Demon Gargoyles
    Skill Description: Summons 3 Demon Gargoyles that can inflict Seal and Stun.
    Skill CD: 2 minutes 30 seconds
    Initial Cast: 50% hp of Body 1, 1 minute 30 seconds from the start of Bodies 2 and 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HP: 25,000,000
    Touch Damage: 3,600
    Magic Damage: 8,000
    Other Skills: Seal, Stun
    Skill Name: Char Swipe
    Skill Description: Swipes a small area and applies the bleed debuff. Bleed can be cleansed with acp's. It is recommended to do so immediately —to conserve hp pots. Bleed will deal 4k damage per tick.
    Skill Damage: ~8k
    [​IMG]

Skill Name: Char Dispel
    Skill Description: Dispels buffs
    Skill CD: 1 minute
    Initical Cast: 90% hp of Body 2, 1 minute from the start of Body 3
    [​IMG]

Skill Name: Summon Golems
    Skill Description: Summons 10 Mini Castle Golems.
    Skill CD: 2 minutes
    Initial Cast: 50% hp of Body 2, 1 minute from the start of Body 3
    [​IMG]
    HP: 6,000,000
    Touch Damage: 2,000

Skill Name: Consume
    Skill Description: VL will consume any unkilled Mini Castle Golems 30 seconds after summoning them to heal for 25,000,000 per golem
    [​IMG]
    Skill Name: Ground Slam
    Skill Description: This skill hits the area around VL applying significant knock-back.
    Skill Damage: ~15k
    [​IMG]

Skill Name: Lasers
    Skill Description: Bidirectional lasers that travels outwards from his body, inflicting "Pink Eye". This skill can be dodged by jumping.
    Pink Eye limits your visual range and it can be hard to see active debuffs or falling golems, similar to dark rooms in OPQ or RJPQ.
    Skill Damage: 1/1
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Note that DR doesn't exist on the current patch
    Skill Name: Damage Reflect (DR)
    Skill Description: You can attack through DR as it is relatively low damage.
    Skill Damage: 7-8k
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Starting 3 minutes into the fight, VL will banish a number of players to a different map every 4 minutes. Each of these banished players will spawn in their own instance of a jail room that is specific to their class.

Warrior
    The warrior room has one long platform containing two boxes, and a switch slightly to the left of the center. Each box will spawn 5 Mini Castle Golems, and one of the 10 Mini Castle Golems spawned will drop a key when killed. However, your attacks won't deal any damage to these mobs. In order to kill the mobs, you will have to rush them to the center of the map, and then attack the switch to activate spikes in the middle. The spikes will deal significant damage to the golems, and should kill them after 3 hits. After picking up the key, you can exit the jail room via the portal on the left.
    Mob Touch Damage: <1,000

Thief
    The thief room is vertical, with a box and the portal at the top. On the way up, there are some small platforms, and some longer platforms containing Mini Castle Golems. You spawn at the bottom of the map, and have to climb to the top using your job-specific skills. Night Lords can climb to the top using Flash Jump, and Shads can climb to the top by using Assaulter through the mobs. Once you reach the top, break the box to get the key, and then leave via the portal.
    Mob Touch Damage: <1,000

Courtesy of PoachedEgg

Courtesy of LDMBandit

Archer
    The archer room has one long platform where you spawn, and an additional shorter platform on each side. On each end of the long platform, there is also a switch. On each of the short platforms, there is a Mini Castle Golem that only receives 1 damage from your attacks. In order to kill the mobs, you must knock them back using Dragon's Breath, and then attack the switch to activate spikes. After the spikes hit each mob 2-3 times, they should die. After you kill both mobs, a chest will spawn slightly to the right of the center of the platform. Break the box, loot the key, and then leave via the portal.
    Mob Touch Damage: unknown

Pirate
    The pirate room has one very long platform, spanning around 4 screen widths, with Mini Castle Golems that spawn interspersed on the platform. BEWARE, these mobs will insta-kill you if you touch them. There are also a few ropes above the platform, with the second rope going up to a platform with a chest. At the far right side of the platform is the portal. After breaking the chest and looting the key it drops, make your way right, and leave via the portal. Buccs and Sairs have different strategies for clearing this room.
    If you die in this room, you can click ok, and you will respawn back at the start of the room, but you will lose your buffs. At this time, we are unsure if this is intended, or a bug.
    Mob Touch Damage: 100,000

Buccs
    With max speed and jump, it is not too hard to simply jump over the mobs as they run towards you. The only danger is if multiple mobs run towards you, and they are only slightly spaced apart. In that case, you can use Corkscrew to group them together, and then jump over them.

Sairs
    Sairs have it really easy in this room; they can simply use Wings and Recoil Shot to jump from rope to rope, and make it to the end of the room without any risk at all.

Courtesy of VolleyFire

Mage
    The mage room has many platforms that are spaced apart just close enough to teleport between. Throughout the room, there are 6 chests, one of which contains a key. Break chests until you get the key, then leave via the portal on the bottom left.

[​IMG]
    1. Von Leon Belt (Untradeable)
      [​IMG][​IMG]
    2. Von Leon's Medallion (Untradeable)
      • Completing this quest will give Von Leon's Soul (+2WA, +8MA)
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    3. Von Leon's Parchment (Untradeable)
      • Completing this quest will give Von Leon's Chaos Scroll
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    4. Royal Throwing-Knives Forging Manual
      • Used to forge Royal Throwing-Knives
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    5. Royal Bullet Forging Manual
      • Used to forge Royal Bullets
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    6. Royal Quiver Forging Manual
      • Used to forge Royal Bow Quiver or Royal Crossbow Quiver
      • Quivers are rechargeable arrows that stack up to 6k, and cost 100meso/arrow to recharge
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    7. [Mastery Book] Hero's Will 10
      [​IMG]
    Notable Bonus Items
    1. Von Leon's Boots
      • 1-3 WA, or 1-8 WA godly
      [​IMG]
    2. Von Leon's Chair
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    3. Von Leon's Sippable Soul Substance
      • Gives +140 WA for 15 minutes
      [​IMG]
    4. Von Leon's Pourable Putrid Potion
      • Gives +220 MA for 15 minutes
      [​IMG]
    5. Chaos Scroll 60%
    6. White Scroll
    7. Clean Slate Scroll 20%

[​IMG]
    This fight is very mentally taxing. You must be ever vigilant in order to continuously avoid falling rocks. Throughout the fight, it is normal for your ability to focus to degrade. Here are some tips on how to stay sharp:
    • Go into the fight with a good plan
    • Get accustomed to the mechanics by going on practice runs
    • Run with people you know well, and are comfortable communicating with
    • Use the restroom before the run starts
    • Wear something comfortable
    • Don't waste your precious time in jail safe from falling rocks. When Charles Manson was in jail, he read self help books and grew his following. That's right. Take a page out of his book. If you have time left after finishing your room, do some party management and regain mental composure before leaving.

[​IMG]
    This guide was created by cremcrem, char, Baju, PVTDemo, onetwotree, and brandname.
    Thanks to the following groups that helped organize runs for us to go on, putting a great deal of effort theorycrafting and compiling information on the boss:
    CVS Discord Server, Tranquility Guild, 30man VL Discord Server, LION MUST DIE Discord Server
    Also thanks to the following guilds for coming together to clear this expedition with us:
    Rice, Alchemy, Heroic, Degens, Oblivion, Feet, Rogue, and many others!
    Thanks also to @Jooon and Rogue guild for providing us with screenshots of drops from their runs!
    Here is the list of people that ran with us on our first clear, without whom, this guide would not be possible:
    ASOBOU
    Badhead
    Baju
    Betoo
    BossPolice
    Brandname
    BucNaf
    bushki
    clemonade
    Daenny
    EricaAurelia
    glasia
    hashim
    JLee1
    LDMBandit
    onetwotree
    oopsNL
    Outcasting
    Parson
    PillowBoi
    PoachedEgg
    PVTDemo
    sirteabags
    Snikt
    SoftCraft
    takikun
    tompson
    volleyfire
    yogibe2r

Here are some videos of our first clear, from a few different people's perspectives:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Learning this fight and iterating on strategy over the past couple of weeks has been the most fun I've had in MapleRoyals by far. I've really enjoyed the challenge of figuring out the new mechanics and putting into practice experiential learning; all the effort I put in, and all the time I spent on the dozen incomplete runs has finally satisfyingly paid off.

I would like to thank the staff who contributed to developing and testing this boss. I think you've all done a great job, and I am very happy with what you've made.

I would also like to thank the countless people who've ran with me, or brought me along on their runs, without whom, I would not have gained my necessary experience to be a contributor of this guide. Truly, this guide is the product of a great community effort.

Since the Von Leon update, I have made many new friends through the process of organizing runs, and would love to continue to do so. If you are organizing a run, and would like to invite me, I would be more than happy to join if my schedule permits. Feel free to add me in-game (ign crempie), or on discord (cremcrem#4136).
    [​IMG]
    Honestly, have fun with the process whether it's this version of Von Leon or a different one. We had to come together as a community to clear it, I'm sure you guys will too. Don't worry about what other people are saying, it will still be difficult and challenging. Good luck and have fun
    Hi, I'm Char!

People who know me know that I love hosting and organizing. Assembling a team and watching chemistry grow is one of my greatest joys in life. My characters aren't progressing much (LOL) but this is how I choose to play the game. Play the game how you want to! If it makes you happy and you're not hurting people, don't worry.

I'm so grateful for the new friends I met and the old friends I've gotten closer with, thanks to my obsession with VL. Multiple guilds came together to make this clear happen. We shared info from earlier test runs (whether or not you shared info, you're still valid and you don't deserve hate), we learned how to communicate with each other, we cared for each other's mental states. Never did anything matter more than feeling safe and having fun. I hope that after reading this guide, not only are you more confident to take on VL, but you are inspired to make new friends, and you find joy in being kinder than necessary towards the other players in this server, regardless of who they are, what smaller community they are a part of, and what you may have heard about them.

Shout out to the entire CVS DISCORD. Thank you to everyone who show up and keep believing in me even when I fail. You've waited until 5 in the morning for delays due to my miscalculations, you've helped farm scrolls for our teammates, you've played your less comfortable characters to fulfill the party composition requirements, you have watched me prioritize and resurrect other players before you. There is just so much. Thank you for trusting me to make important final decisions. Thank you for the love and respect that you have for this community.

Special shout out to Abu.

Lastly, I want to second what Clem said. If anyone would like to invite me to an expedition, I'm happy to contribute in any way that I can. If you just want tips on how to organize/clear you can find me on BadHead or ToDoList in game or PM me on forums (@SleepySleepy).

If you see me in game please say hi! I love new friends and I'm not shy.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  2. brandname

brandname Donator

Country Flag:
    I would like to thank white castle for always believing in me

SleepySleepy likes this.
  3. HeroNaf

HeroNaf Well-Known Member

IGN:
    HeroNaf
    sensational

Pandora and brandname like this.
  4. Bistre

Bistre Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bistre
    Level:
    Guild:
    Charm
    CVS CVS CVS

5. LimeOnyx

LimeOnyx Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Pretense
    Guild:
    Heroic
    CVS Harmacy :VLlove:

Cambodian and SleepySleepy like this.
  6. Tidy

Tidy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Tidy
    Level:
    19x
    Guild:
    Caddols
    Gj guys! Can't wait to see people start to sell VL service for belt+medallion!

Btw, what does the parchment exactly do? Can't see it in the guide dunno if I'm missing it

7. cremcrem

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    cremcrem
    Right now, we believe that you can use it to craft a chaos scroll that can only be used on the VL belt

Tidy likes this.
  8. Fli

Fli Donator

pog I'm famous:tobenaww:
    (p.s. my name is glasia with lower case g)

Yuki12, SleepySleepy and Brown Sugar like this.
  9. NekoYen

NekoYen Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Yeniiee
    Level:
    Guild:
    Savior
  10. Nyna

Nyna Donator

IGN:
    Nyna
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    LF duo partner

Johnny and Nerd like this.
  11. Snuf

Snuf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SnufTheDit
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    Thanks for making this. Might bring some old players back, you never know:pepehug::pepehug:

SleepySleepy likes this.
  12. Geyforlife

Geyforlife Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Geybrian
    Level:
    o7
    Guild:
    USSR
  13. Jooon

Jooon Donator

IGN:
    Shinsoo
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    Please add these in!

upload_2022-11-5_13-17-39.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tail, Pandora, brandname and 11 others like this.
  14. cremcrem

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    cremcrem
    Jooon likes this.
  15. JuliusOmega

JuliusOmega Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    OmegaArrows
    Level:
    Guild:
    Create
    wow, this is honestly incredible, you can recruit me if you want after the reset, I already want to experience, SHARP EYES for everyone :3
    Maple0220.png

Shai, Nerd, Cambodian and 1 other person like this.
  16. Basically_memes

Basically_memes Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Bushki
    Level:
    Guild:
    Playboys
    All thanks to Char's Drug store for sponsoring the run, CVS CVS :pepehug:

17. jsoetojo

jsoetojo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Soobs
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rice
    Good job everyone! Super proud :3

18. CupOfJoe

CupOfJoe Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CupOfJoe
    Level:
    Guild:
    n/a
    The creme de la creme of guides! Gives me motivation to VL

Knoxz, Pandora, brandname and 3 others like this.
  19. Cambodian

Cambodian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Cambodian
    Level:
    Guild:
    oops
    For GLORY. and friendship

brandname, LimeOnyx and SleepySleepy like this.
  20. Jooon

Jooon Donator

IGN:
    Shinsoo
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    [​IMG]

This as well, thanks!
    Special thanks to @Doton for spending his time hunting the etcs and sending us this images!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    Tail, icedem0n, Pandora and 11 others like this.