HP Washing

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Mimsy, Jan 6, 2017.

?

Is HP washing a bad game mechanic?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CWCW

CWCW Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lahv
    1. My argument is make a way that people doesn't have to add int and leech all the way till 135 in order to boss or enjoy end game content isn't what this thread is for?
    2. Because darksight is one of the way to evade the rush skill from auf
    3.Not really because of the added time its more of "zerking" and "attacking" You can't even zerk in auf due to 1hko

Have you ever tried Auf or even used darksight before?

2. VoiceOver

VoiceOver Donator

Country Flag:
    End game content should be reserved for end game players. Not every Joe Schmoe should be entitled to access Auf Haven. As it implies, it's literally end of game content.

Nowhere does it state that every boss party has to be structured around 1 party of 6, which is where a lot of where you are drawing your bias or perspective from.

The meta/min-max culture of this server has led to 4 attackers + SE + BS as the most efficient in terms of loot and EXP and it should be reserved for players that have gotten to that point to min-max.

Zerking is a mechanic in the game where you sacrifice a percentage of your HP for damage. Nowhere does it state zerking has to be always be enabled.

3. CWCW

CWCW Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lahv
    Yeah try being a NL/BM @end game and not washing at all Since Hp wash is optional and unable to do "End Game" boss due to the hp requirement

I'm saying that NL is able to evade that attack using darksight, let's talking about another job then how bout BM/MM how are they gonna evade the rush skill from auf?

I could careless bout the min-max meta in this server as I rather go with friends

I realised that I have spent 2 books of zerk30 400m each during the downtime of HT to be a HB Mule or not use my main skill of DrK in a boss fight

Im out of the argument lmao good to know your perspective of washing is optional

4. VoiceOver

VoiceOver Donator

Country Flag:
    If you can't have a discussion without trying to make personal attacks or insults, I don't see the point of asking for people's opinions on this matter.

HP washing mechanic will not change. End of thread.

5. CWCW

CWCW Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lahv

Isnt this why they trying to feedback the staffs regarding a way to increase their hp/mp without recreating. As you said end game is for end game players they reached end game without meeting the requirement of HP how are they suppose to do "end game" content.

If you think your thinking is logical telling DrK not to zerk in boss just be a hb mule sure cool hope the person who's playing that DrK is having fun.

HP Washing mechanics has to change in order to draw more newcomers into MapleRoyal

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Mimsy
    I think you are absolutely right.
    MMORPG games are all about working together as a team, each class to its strength.

I'm sure MapleStory in the initial design meant to look just like you describe.
    But don't forget, something huge happened that fucked that perfect world completely.
    Nexon had some "developers" which mistakenly created a stat system which created the exploit we all know today known as washing.

Once washing came into existence all the MMORPG guidelines we all played by can be thrown out of the window.
    Now "smart" players (might as well regard them as CHEATERS) started using it to break all the MMORPG rules and have a blast playing never dying to bosses, never needing a good team to complete stuff.

After that, an even bigger mistake was made.
    When Nexon themselves finally realized it, instead of fixing the issue to resume to the MMORPG style game-play without anyone breaking it, they embraced it.
    They fucking embraced it. They started making money out of it (Well as a capitalist company which is made just to make money it kinda makes sense but still.. fuck the players right?).
    Nexon continued breaking the game and no one cared anymore about the TRUE MMORPG style. Money > Everything right?

This chain of events finally lead to us playing a private server which also, embraces an exploit which was never meant to be part of the game.

In my opinion those MMORPG guidelines we all know and love were created to make good games. MapleStory broke that and we still carry some of it's broken parts here in MapleRoyals.
    I really think it's unfair, as new players watch some dude who plays like 20 hours a day kill a boss without needing any HB.
    But we are past that point already. As players learned about this magic called washing and accepted the suffering to make that happen, they joined the BREAKING THE GAME SQUAD.

And then we reach today. It's widely accepted to wash. everyone seem to enjoy holding CTRL like idiots for an hour and get their EXP.
    Unwashed characters can go to hell since they won't be accepted to bosses, we don't have that kinda time right?
    In a perfect world, there is 1 possible solution. We should all go for reverting MapleStory to it's original form.
    Remove. Wash. Completely. Let's go back to the roots guys! reset everyone high HP and give em some NX or whatever as a compensation.
    Let's all play the REAL MAPLESTORY and die to bosses hundreds of times till we make it. I'm totally down for a challenge!!! (I'm not even sarcastic, sounds cool! I'm a pretty hardcore guy).

After thinking about it for a while... this is totally unrealistic.
    It's already too late. The current meta is drilled too hard into our already thick skulls.
    People already sacrificed too much time on this server, and we are not kids anymore.

As I stated before, most of us here are already in our 20s. We have life to deal with.
    Whether it's work or school or whatever you guys are doing.. we don't have the time anymore to play the game in it's original form.
    In my opinion that is kinda why MMORPGs are dying nowadays. This kind of games doesn't fit our millennial type of thinking.
    In the age of Instant gratification these types of games doesn't work anymore. And truly, this is why I think HP washing took over in this server too.
    We all rather just hold CTRL like stupid idiots to gain some EXP, did we forget what fun is?

Looking through the MMORPG lens, this game is fucking broken beyond repair.
    But we love this stupid mushroom game, that is why we are here.
    I say let's find a good solution to fit our stupidly short attention spans and laziness so we can all hold CTRL together and "have fun".

In the end, it still coming down to creating some kind of a custom system to gain HP, So the "Great MapleRoyals Players Filter" also known as "All The Suffering You Have To Go Through In Order To Have A Character Which Is In Line With Most Of The Player Base In Terms Of Stats So You Can Be Happy And Play The Game Like Everyone And Have Fun Of Course" (phew) will be finally destroyed.

Everyone can gain from more players:
    - More money for Matt
    - More fun for us

I commented enough walls of text already to get my point across.
    Let's find a solution which won't destroy the already achieved washes (Yes I washed too),
    And also be fair and approachable to new players.

Please.
    I'm getting tired of this.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    camello, Hwaiting, Glenn93 and 2 others like this.
  7. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    You mean where washing was completely possibly but cost 3.1$ per AP reset in real money?

edit: Also,

VoiceOver and Hamburg like this.
  8. Mimsy

Mimsy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Mimsy
    [​IMG]

feels like u didnt get the full picture of my comment. i was joking. its completely unrealistic.
    really shows u didnt read the whole thing

9. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    Post a joke get a joke. I was serious but if you wanted serious answers to your serious points, don't post joke responses?

10. Hamburg

Hamburg Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Jerome Jr.
    Level:
    Guild:
    Arambe
    @Mimsy Please take this comment from me as a player, is there a way to summarize the thread?
    I don't have the time to go through 13 pages filled with walls of text

wixobigil123 and FuminoAya like this.
  11. Mimsy

Mimsy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Mimsy
    wow thats pretty rough. so many stuff have been suggested here and i planned to summarize at least the top arguments at some points..
    i guess the only way now is going through everything.

you can start from page 3 for 2019-2020 stuff
    and maybe just go through the major debates to get the general idea?
    just look for walls and quotes repeating for multiple messages with the same ppl

i really don't know :O sry

i was trying to get a point across with slight humor. im sorry if that offended u.

12. Hamburg

Hamburg Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Jerome Jr.
    Level:
    Guild:
    Arambe
    Well if you ever make a summary, please let me know! Again apologies if that sounded rude by any means, it was just me being honest.

wixobigil123 likes this.
  13. Mimsy

Mimsy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Mimsy
    all good :) these are words written through the internet with no tone to them whatsoever.. and not all of us are native english speakers so it gets harder.
    sometimes we all get the wrong impression

Hamburg likes this.
  14. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    Toad is already explained by Matt, as it was originally designed to be handled by tanky melee classes and not ranged ones. With that aside, Auf Haven seems to be the only remaining content supporting the HP wash-mandatory theory.

Now that rush bug is fixed, please enlighten us whether hp washing is mandatory to kill Auf Haven based on your experience.
    @Jooon

15. Jooon

Jooon Donator

IGN:
    Shinsoo
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    Is HP washing mandatory for The auf boss itself?
    No, a player can probably survive most of its magical nukes completely unwashed with HB Buff
    To be very honest, Extra HP isn’t really helpful here. You’ll still get 1hit if your range DPS is under 23.4k HP. Blindly spamming attacks and not bothering to understand its mechanics is a straight road to a fail run.

Compared to toad which does a full map nuke of 16.5k DMG, auf skill skill set includes
    • Dash,
    • Seduce into touch dmg
    • Dispel
    • Genesis
    Communication, Timing Sed, to either jump high enough to not get blasted into pieces or turning on dark sight before sed will be your solution in killing this particular boss.

TLDR for Auf Boss.
    Gameplay > Washing

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Charu, Jesseh, Zusti and 5 others like this.
  16. Jooon

Jooon Donator

IGN:
    Shinsoo
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    I can provide you video proof that even a well washed player still dies in 1hit left if you dont know what you are doing! Haha!

Indeed, i’d love to try to get that footage and share it eventually including it in the auf guide.
    Definitely a challenging skill level boss to go against
    We too have just the right BM to assist us in it @sparky95

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Charu, Jesseh, Zusti and 1 other person like this.
  17. kyoko3102

kyoko3102 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    imo when maple released the auf haven around the same time as the ressurecting wheel cash item so yea.. u can stay in map as long as you're rich

18. NTR

NTR Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    xLordGrim
    Level:
    Guild:
    Hulu
    Well it is as you said, it was originally designed to do that. I'm not fond of that rationale though because we can insert any boss with high damage and say that only tanky classes should do the boss. Did they release Pink Bean for only tanky melee classes to tackle? That's a really weird system right there that isn't exactly praiseworthy. We should not justify current problems with what the game developers decided back then (especially when their track record leans towards profit-making), we should decide what system is best for us right now. Toad is frequently done not just exclusively by tanky classes in royals and that's why I wouldn't just put aside Toad by disregarding its existence.

Anyways I think we have previously already debated extensively about whether HP Washing is necessary and/or prevalent in Royals. We can continue to be convinced washing is optional or unnecessary but it won't change the current fact that washing is very much a huge thing in Royals. Even during the CNY event, APRs have stayed the same price, about 15.5-16m each, and people still consistently buy them even now. Many people wash, not just your top 5%. It is not some god tier feature unlocked at level 200. New players who are aware of this mechanics do wash too. Older players who come to realize it too late but still want their extra HP is forced to remake their character. Not to mention the whole low level content being skipped to a great extent with washing being a huge trend here. If you want to talk about game design, isn't it a huge pity that all this content is wasted? For me I just want to have Forest of Golems training parties again =(

Currently (but not limited to) the 2 possible ideas for discussion:
    1) More quest to give HP to lighten burden of washing
    2) Introduce a system that provides extra MP so APR is still relevant

These are the real issues I would much rather be discussing imo, how to make hp washing mechanics more sensible since we know it is here to stay.

Also if i'm reading this right:
    So the range DPS (let's be honest and just call it NL lel) still needs to be 23.4k HP with HB, which is unattainable without washing.

Mimsy likes this.
  19. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    This debate between me and you won't go anywhere because we both have different definitions of necessity and convenience. I'd say give up the "extra" convenience if you want to enjoy low lvl content and you'll say you don't wish to give up the convenience but enjoy every content, just like current MS. What I find normal is unacceptable in your eyes and vice versa.

What matters is the thought of this server's owner, Matt. Based on my observation, he doesn't seem to like the idea of adding abundant HP gain methods because the minimum requirement, within his nostalgic design of the game, was already provided through numerous updates in the past. If you can convince him with your point of view, I guess you have a chance but seeing that there's no staff response on this thread so far, I don't think they are considering the notion. I can only wish you the best of luck to attain their attention.

23.4k HP is to survive a single touch dmg from Auf but mass sed can kill even 30k NLs, assuming they are typical brain-dead-1-button-spamming-NLs. Meanwhile, Auf's magic attacks aren't high enough to kill unwashed (with hb) attackers from a vertical distance. The objective for ranged classes in Auf map (except archers for now as they cannot attack in air) is to kite the boss and react/time their movement to avoid making direct contact with the boss. Projectile attacks (stars, arrows, cannon balls) can hit targets that are slightly below or above the character's horizontal axis. This will allow attackers to kite Auf from a slightly higher position. Only that it is extremely challenging to keep the right distance and height to avoid direct contact, which is a sensible difficulty considering the fact that Auf is the final Boss in this server.

Egoiste, VoiceOver, FuminoAya and 2 others like this.
  20. Mimsy

Mimsy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Mimsy
    Never got a proper response from Matt, but after nagging some interns I got somewhat of a response.
    Went something along the lines of: We are fully aware of this feedback. this is a huge part of this server and we simply won't respond to not make other people assume big changes are coming or not.
    Also mentioned the fact some stuff already been added: extra hp when advancing, hp quests, belts etc. we are thinking about a solution, its not easy.
    (sorry but the actual messages are kinda lost in the shout box..)

Maybe their take on it is to eventually change it, but at a slow pace. I guess maybe to soften the "blow" the already washed players will get while another less painful way to wash is introduced..
    These are just assumptions tho.. I just wish they could have joined the discussion.. so we get a better view of the staff's take on the matter,
    they could confirm and debunk some solutions, so we could better shape our next suggestions.. till perfection.

Frankly the only way i see this thread reaching it's conclusion is the staff jumping in.. otherwise it will be eventually lost.

Edit: i just noticed.. dafuq?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    FuminoAya likes this.