Maple Story Facts & References

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rinn, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Hiya!

I always do Maple Story quest since I first started this game. But when I was young, most of the time I don't really understand the story and just skip through. Now we have grown up and gaining more knowledge, I realize there's actually a lot of reference from our world and interesting facts. All these skills, quest, monsters, map... and lot of stuff that makes the whole game goes to higher level.

Therefore I'm creating this thread to share my studies, please feel free to point out if there's some mistake. I will do more if I was free. Hope you guys enjoy reading! :)

Let's start off!

Part 1: Kerning City

Welcome to Kerning City, the town famous of thieves, KPQ, transit of Singapore/NLC, and sacking noobs. But do you know there's more about it?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    Kerning City is based on New York City & Chinatown. With some graffiti wall of sport culture: Yankees Hat and NBA.
    The Chinese text "禁城" probably means "紫禁城". The Palace Museum of Beijing.

5.jpg
    Also there's some Chinese NPC with typical Qing Dynasty looks.
    "開金" means "Unlock"

6.jpg
    "退魔" means "Exorcism"

7.jpg
    "大盜無門" from weapon store means "Great thieves don't come in with door"

8.jpg
    The cabinet inside pharmacy is called "百子柜". It's often set up in Chinese traditional herbal shop for storing herbal. Look carefully the text above is actually written in Chinese.
    Which mean: Dragon skull, dragon horn, dragon leg, pork meat, spore, flower, snake leg, tooth, grass. ~f8

9.jpg
    The hair salon have interesting relationship of competing with Henesys Salon, and also some Maple Island NPC customer.

10.jpg
    "나오라" means "Naola" in Korean pronunciation.

11a.jpg
    Inside the Hospital, if we look at the quest from NPC Jane Doe. We'll know she is actually patient of Dr. Naora.
    (She is not Dr. Naora herself!)

11.jpg
    In fact, the name "Jane Doe" are referred to a corpse with unknown identity. It's a reasonable use while she is actually dead in the quest storyline. (So this is actually a haunted building, right in the middle of Kerning City town. ~f10)

12.jpg
    The NPC Maria (or Rina from Henesys?) did cosmetic surgery here.

26.jpg
    "안전제일" means "Safety first", fitting to a construction site. (Thanks @sparky95 for the translation!)

25.jpg
    The "L" from L Forest actually means the L shaped platform map. :8):

13.jpg 14.jpg
    According to monster card info, the Slime King was actually regular slime but transform by three sister during some failed experiment.

15.jpg
    The three sister were those KPQ NPC. Yes they're actually three different person instead of only one. ~f3

If you do the Dyle quest, you can also find out Dyle has also same situation as King Slime that mutated by three sister again. They're actually planning to have another PQ to eliminate it. (KPQ 2 when? ~f11)
    16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg

19.jpg
    JM gone mad :xD:
    At the end, JM just stop it by asking you to hunt it down alone.

Trivial
    If you choose wrong answer during Dyle quest, JM will reply with some funny dialogue.
    20.jpg 21.jpg

Prima Donna means female operatic star or unpleasant person. But in here, it was referring to lingerie with same brand name in our world.
    22.jpg

23.jpg 24.jpg
    While both NPC Lisa and Goddess Minerva from Orbis also have the same wearing style.

:xD: :xD: :xD:

Update 1: Fixed grammar mistake, added L Forest & Korean text house, and also spoiler button for better reading. :)
    Update 2: Edited content of NPC Jane Doe.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Part 2: Victoria Island

1lith1.jpg
    Obvious and known by many, Lith Harbor is based on Santorini of Cyclades Islands.

1lith2.jpg
    In addition, there's also an island called "Pig Beach" in Bahamas!

2game.jpg
    The little green dragon from Henesys Game Park NPC Carey are referred to "Bubble Bobble".

3game3.jpg
    However in later version, the dragon was removed probably of copyright concern.

4omok.jpg
    Omok are based on board game "Gomoku" or "Five in a Row".
    For addition, Omok and Gomoku are both "五目", they are just Korean and Japanese pronunciation of "五目" respectively.
    But Wizet/Nexon are Korean game companies so they first called it 오목(Omok) in KMS, and for some reason, in GMS, it was directly translated into Omok as the Korean word 오목 sounds like.

a1.jpg
    Like this, in GMS, there are some words directly written in English as it sounds like in Korean such as Ola Ola(올라 올라), which means "go up go up" in Korean.

5cat.jpg
    The invisible cat NPC Fanzy of Elinia is referred to "Cheshire Cat" of "Alice in Wonderland".

6cat.jpg
    Yet, the reference was reuse again in the "Root Abyss" patch.

7sixtopia1.jpg
    The "SIXTOPIA" sign from Elinia Platform means "VICTORIA" in Greek letters. However the first letter "S" was incorrect and should be letter "B" or "V" to pronounce correctly in Greek.

9perion.jpg
    Perion NPCs are referred to American Natives.

10sha.jpg
    The Guild PQ NPC Shawn stated the Sharenian was once a capital city of Victoria Island.

11sha.jpg
    The golem temple, sanctuary from deep dungeon, or any other old architecture are actually created by them.

12sha.jpg
    Also from Stumpy's card info, it pointed out Perion was once a huge forest that may equal to Elinia from past.

Ergoth.gif 13sha.jpg
    However the whole kingdom are collapsed after seeking eternal youth by using Rubian jewel. Which will summon the Guild PQ boss Ergoth.

spear.jpg
    Inside the Guild PQ, The apperance of "Longinus Spear" is based on anime "Evangelion".
    This spear is also known as the lance that pierced the side of Jesus as he hung on the cross.

14slpwood.jpg
    Sleepywood NPCs are referred to African Natives.

15olmec.jpg
    The big head statue in Sleepywood seems like referred to " Olmec colossal heads" of Mexico.

a2.jpg
    a3.jpg
    a4.jpg
    There's high similarity of some monster between Ragnarok Online(RO) and Maple Story. Considering RO is released during Aug 2002, and it's one of the most popular online game in Korea. Wizet/Nexon may have take reference from it and released Maple Story afterward in year 2003.

a5.jpg
    Balrog are based on same monster in "Lord of the Ring".

16snack.jpg
    Snack Bar boss is... well, a street vendors. :rolleyes:
    "正港黑輪" (before) means "Authentic Oden"
    "黑輪王" (after) means "King Oden"
    "菜頭" means "Radish"

17snack3.jpg
    Oden is a hot pot dishes consisting of several ingredients that popular in Taiwan.

a6.jpg
    Also in KMS, Snack Bar was firstly introduced as field boss in Taiwan night market content "Xi Men Ding" (西門町)

However after world tour contents was removed from KMS, Snack Bar was moved to Sleepywood dungeon, and they added new story to this boss: it is rival of 24-Hr Mobile Store at Ant Tunnel Park.
    a7.jpg
    a8.jpg
    *Version history of Snack Bar moved to Dungeon may need to verify.

Trivial
    19npc storage.jpg
    All storage NPC from Victoria Island are China man. Yes again, they are all actually separated different person. :rolleyes:

Update 1: Added Pig Beach reference.
    Update 2: Added reference of Slime, Horny/Zombie Mushroom, and Balrog.
    Update 3: Added Longinus Spear reference.

Thanks @ssabi for adding info on Omok, Ola Ola, and Snack Bar boss.
    Thanks @dantesanctus for the "VICTORIA" Greek translation.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  3. lolo123

lolo123 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lolologic123
    Your work is really awesome!

Rinn likes this.
  4. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Realized haven't update this for a month, perhaps I will start working back here once legoman drawing and ISP issue are done/fixed. ^_^'

Dasha, ginwolf, Hamburg and 4 others like this.
  5. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Part 3: Orbis & El Nath

Welcome to Orbis! The floating sky island full of pigment kitties and annoying pixies. 0:)
    Also the town has a lot reference based on Greco-Roman (Ancient Greeks and Romans) culture!

1.jpg
    When we reached Orbis and leave the platform, the first thing we'll see are these pillars. This is based on Temple of Olympian Zeus from Athens, Greece.

2.jpg
    NPC Ericsson also has the typical apparel from Greek.

2a.jpg
    While in the later version, Ericsson may allow player access to theme dungeon Chryse. Expanding more area with Greek theme.

3.jpg
    Apart from that, the big statue in Orbis PQ is not just some ordinary statue. Look at the spear and orb! :o
    This is referred from the same name Goddess "Minerva". AKA the Roman goddess of wisdom.

4.jpg
    Moreover, the statue in Orbis Weapon Store are totally same with Warrior's Power Guard animation.

5.jpg
    Same with Elinia Platform, text around Orbis used Greek letters too.

6.jpg
    And the text above means "CLOUD" in Greek.

7.jpg
    8.jpg
    Orbis Skin Care & Hair Salon have several NPC customers around Maple World.

9.jpg
    If we do the Alpha Platoon quest, we'll know all these NPCs are separated around Orbis & El Nath due to an accident.

10.jpg
    Funny thing is, we can see several of these NPCs appear randomly at certain places because they're related to quest. This little details really make me feel the game is so lively and more interesting. (They also went travel to Nautilus? :o)

11.jpg
    Zakum is based on "Zaqqum", which means a tree that "springs out of the bottom of Hell" in Islamic Quran.

12.jpg
    This mean the actual origin of Zakum is the tree behind background. Intimate with evil face on it.

12b.jpg
    All these make sense when there is Islam NPCs guarding at the entrance.
    (Wizet sure knows the efficient way of using same NPC with just changing the colors eh?) ~f3

13.jpg
    Futhermore, the Zakum statue itself referred alot from Mayas Culture!
    The body statue is referred from "Merida Monument".

14.jpg
    The bottom altar is "Chac Mask".

15.jpg
    The Zakum Helmet is "Tlaloc Mask".

16.jpg
    One of the Zakum's skill are referred from "Eye of Horus" of ancient Egypt.

17.jpg
    And this skill are referred from "Solomon King Seal". It represent the signet ring in medieval Jewish tradition.

Alongside this, the 4th job instructor will tell us the story of Zakum during advancement progress.
    18.jpg 19.jpg
    From the story above, we can know the Zakum statue is build by nearby citizen. But the town were destroyed by Zakum afterward.

20.jpg
    When we look back to the El Nath town and Dead Mine, the ornaments around is "Star of David" the representative symbol of Jewish.

In the end, we now knew the Jewish culture reference shared between both Zakum and El Nath.
    However the game designer already intimate both of their relevancy! Since beginning we step in El Nath town. :8):

Update: Added "Temple of Olympian Zeus" as the building name of first picture.
    Thanks @dantesanctus for the Greek translation on "CLOUD".
    Thanks @SmokeThatSauce for the Greek naming/culture correction.

6. lolo123

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lolologic123
    Free bump. Good job!! How can you be such a careful observer and knowledgable man!

KissAndFly and Rinn like this.
  7. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Thank you! [:3]

I have high interest on studying historic of various nation. This strengthened my knowledge on cultural stuff.
    Also I love to travel around the world inside the game when getting bored. While turning on the BGM jumping around everywhere and enjoying the vibes, I realized there's many things looks so familiar from my studies. Which inspired me to this series. :D

benkrong, haiki, KissAndFly and 3 others like this.
  8. lolo123

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lolologic123
    Nice! I also love to travel around maple world, but I don't have enough history and geographical knowledge to support me to do this work.
    I benefit a lot from reading your post and even get inspiration for my maplestory novel. :D

Gert and Rinn like this.
  9. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    [​IMG]
    This says 안전제일 which means "Safety first" in Korean, fitting to a construction site.

haiki, Vinilos, ginwolf and 5 others like this.
  10. ssabi

ssabi Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ssabi
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    What a nice post, I learned new things a lot :DD
    I really appreciate your meticulous research. :'(

and I sent some supplementary information pertaining to what you have posted via forums message, please check it!

Rinn and Gert like this.
  11. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Part 4: Aquaroad, Omega Sector, and Ludibrium

Aquaroad
    1.jpg
    The position of Aquaroad in World Map is wrong.
    According the direction from both whales. Aquaroad should be located between El Nath and Ludibrium.

3.jpg
    NPC Robinson is referred to novel "Robinson Crusoe" by Daniel Defoe.

4.jpg
    NPC Tae Gong is referred to 16th-century Chinese novel "The Investiture of the Gods" (封神演义).

5.jpg
    Area boss Seruf have a very cute animation. It was secretly a bald under the shell. :xD:

Omega Sector
    6.jpg
    Obviously, Meso Ranger is based on TV Show "Power Ranger".

7.jpg
    Agent M and Agent Falcon (from Haunted House) are based on movie "Man in Black".

8.jpg
    The alien drawing around Boswell Field looks alike hill figure. Which correspond to hill figure's alternate name "chalk figure".

Ludibrium
    9.jpg
    Ludibrium means "plaything" in Latin. Matching the Ludibrium with toy theme.

10.jpg
    The advertisement outside Ludi Plastic Surgery is refer to Rinz from Orbis, and Geanie from Ludi.
    It's super rude while Geanie is just standing nearby the shop. ~f7

11a.jpg
    NPC Everton in Ludi Plastic Surgery looks alike Price Charming from moive "Shrek".

11b.jpg
    NPC Ghosthunter Bob in deep ludi is based on movie "Ghostbuster".

12.jpg
    The rectangle box of Rombot's head looks alike Sony Playstation 2.

Remember the fearsome Alishar that we first time went through LPQ last stage?
    13.jpg
    When we look back now, it's actually wearing a chasity belt.
    Now I'm not even sure the key it drop is for dimension? Or the belt itself...? :confused:
    Oh you kinky Alishar :xD:

While everyone is daily hunting the ultimate Ludibrium boss, Papulatas. Just for EXP, SBs, NX, energizer and etc...
    Do you know it has a very interesting storyline?
    14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg
    If you are Buccanner who doing Time Leap prequest. You will meet the past Papulatus itself who haven't invade Ludi yet. He's busy inventing the time machine. Which will eventually distort Ludi. It was also actually the giant clock machine (first body) during the fight.

17.jpg 18.jpg
    From the dialogue, we know that Papulatus is curious about what he did in future and hoping to meet you.
    However, until next time you both met, probably will became enemy to each other, again. :(

Papulatus photo credit: TaNmAn150

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  12. lolo123

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lolologic123
    Aha, as a chinese, I don't know Tae Gong is from 封神演义。

13. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Tae Gong means 太公望, It's alternate name of 姜子牙

Diphenhydramine likes this.
  14. lolo123

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lolologic123
    xD I understand. Tae Gong is 姜太公. There is a chinese saying which goes like ''姜太公钓鱼,愿者上钩".

15. dantesanctus

dantesanctus Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    I got banned
    Level:
    Just a quick correction in regards to "Sixtopia"

In both russian and greek, the "p" is pronounced with the english "r" sound, and the pi or upside down u makes the "p" sound!
    Π π pi, πι [p] p as in English top[18][11]
    Ρ ρ rho, ρώ [r] trilled r as in Italian or Spanish[18][11][13]

TL:DR It wasn't spelled incorrectly ingame, just Russian and Greek are confusing in the sense that the letter "p" makes the sound "R" as in letteR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

haiki, icedem0n, Dasha and 5 others like this.
  16. elitd

elitd Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Feiya
    Level:
    Just came across this thread, such a good piece you have there! I really enjoy reading all the lores and possible references the game might cover. Really appreciate all your effort and time poured in for these, keep up the GOOD WORK!

Rinn likes this.
  17. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Thanks for the correction :D
    Now I understand the Greek/Russian "P" is pronounce as "R" when translating to English, is that right?
    How about the "Six" from "Sixtopia"? Do you know is there any basis to support the actual mean "Victoria"?

Also any idea what does this text mean?
    6.jpg

ginwolf likes this.
  18. dantesanctus

dantesanctus Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    I got banned
    Level:
    That one there says "Cloud"
    [​IMG]
    Since the "x" is apparently a "k" sound in greek, that means "Sixtopia" reads "?iktoria" Am wondering if that isn't actually an S but another letter that looks similar to make the B/V sound as in "Victoria"

[​IMG]

19. Rinn

Rinn Donator

Part 5: Nihal Desert

1.jpg
    Nihal means joyous or successful in Arabic.
    It's sarcastic While the Ariant have huge disparity between emperor and civilian.
    And Magatia from other side are hating each other.

2.jpg 3.jpg
    The whole Ariant town is based on Arabic theme.

4.jpg
    The blue Genie is based on Islamic mythology "Jinn" or Disney Aladdin, bye bye copyright.

5.jpg
    The palace NPCs based on historic figure Scheherazade, also well known as storyteller of "One Thousand and One Nights".

6.jpg
    "Open Sesame" reference from "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves".

7.jpg
    French novel "The Little Prince"

8.jpg
    The Sand Rat are based on game 'Whack a mole'. Which is why it drop hammer.

9.jpg
    Meh, who doesn't know know these?
    It's world biggest public toilet! Sahara Desert,

10.jpg
    and no more low lvl PQ 4 u itz nub we nid PB SoonTM uwu plz GM Egypt pyramid!

OK, now let's move forward to Magatia, the alchemist town. Who even come here??
    Also my favorite town in lore wise.

11.jpg
    The tall building in Magatia seems slightly referred to Gothic church and stained glasses.

12.jpg
    The Homunculus family represent the creation of a miniature, fully formed human. It's popularized in sixteenth-century alchemic traditions.

13.jpg
    Also wide known for some people as 'Dwarf in the Flask' in anime "Fullmetal Alchemist".

14.jpg
    Chimera is referred to hybrid creature of Greece mythology.
    At here, it was a hybrid from Humo, Scarf Pleadm and Neo Huroid.

15.jpg
    The last word from Chimera is referred to classical element of ancient Greece.

16.jpg
    Also SoonTM Romeo and Juliet from William Shakespeare.

17.jpg
    Weird material they are collecting. :confused:

18.jpg 19.jpg
    If we read the storyline quest in Magatia, The NPC will tell us some interesting facts about magic rocks.

20.jpg
    That means everything above these are based on same theory by using magic rocks for teleportation and source power. :o

20b.jpg
    As the storyline goes deeper, we'll discover a secret tunnel lab under the basement Magatia.

21.jpg
    It was actually the experimental lab built by Black Mage itself. :eek:

22.jpg
    At the end, we'll finally know all studies from Magatia are also based on fundamental of Black Mage.

23.png
    That mean most of the skills and energy sources in Maple World are created by this guy.
    Now we all shall declare ourself as loyal servant of Black Mage. >:D

Trivial
    24.jpg
    ~meso Poverty in Maple World uwu ~meso

20. SmokeThatSauce

SmokeThatSauce Member

Country Flag:
    Great work!
    I love the time and effort people put into things like this.
    I would just add that for the Orbis one, I would change some of them to "Greco-Roman" or possibly just Greek to building architectures, as a large part of their culture including Greek mythology was simply adapted (see: swapped name wise).

Shnang and Rinn like this.