Forum Over moderation and annoyance to the community

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Donn1e, Jan 18, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Forum Moderator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    I will just leave this here, I don't know how you can look at irrelevant comments such as "heavily edited death compilation" or "find the comparison insulting" as an explanation of two playstyles

I did not remove the latter part of the comments as they are indeed relevant to the skills, but not the above examples I have quoted

I have mentioned earlier on, I do not agree with the comments of personal attacks but I am doing what Donn1e requested - to only take actions after the flame war has started (it has yet to start)
    Yes, I do think Forum Mods should stop the flame war before it occurs, but it doesn't seem to be what you guys wanted

I still stand by the comments of "irony", players can't accuse Staff of power abusing but refused to give their stance on the said matter
    (we have to make up our mind on this)

Seyu and Tentomon like this.
  2. Kenny

Kenny Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shadower
    Level:
    While I don't agree with the initial ban/edit, I know Dave's starting point is for the good. He aimed to quell the flame war right from the start, and his actions were driven solely by passion and love for this game. Blaming him now for sparking the flame war is unfair, as he gained nothing from it and was attempting to prevent such conflicts. While I understand that we're all adults and not necessarily expected to hold hands together, at least refrain from behaving like a dick in a disrespectful manner.

Even tho these two posts are both looking for trouble, I see players looking for two different responses from staff.
    • Delete Donn1e's post - POWER TRIPPING!
    • Not deleting Aeronautics's post - POWER TRIPPING!
    Before throwing punches here and there, ask yourself what would you do if you were a mod?

On the other hand, please don't claim your personal opinions as facts. Even if they are facts, selective statements could also make them misleading! We have an old say in Chinese as 春秋笔法.
    For example:
    • People who drink water will die
    or something like:
    • Kenny is not on the community blacklist
    • Kenny is not on the community blacklist today
    • It turns out that Kenny is not on the community blacklist today!
    they are all facts but any educated person should be able to tell the differences

LLew, eVolve, Snuf and 27 others like this.
  3. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    LEVEL200
    Level:
    Guild:
    MAX
    I was banned from looking at shoutbox forever LOL good riddance

4. MitchyD

MitchyD Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    xLust
    Level:
    16x
    Guild:
    Starlight
    Not just selfish but childish too.
    They understand that PM's exist right?
    If you disagree with Dave on a point I'm fairly certain you could privately message him and resolve your concerns.

RonJJ, Paton and Tentomon like this.
  5. DickDann

DickDann Well-Known Member

IGN:
    DLCKDANN
    Guild:
    KERNING
    Some of my comments got deleted in the past due to drama or potential flame war.
    I can be toxic or aggressive sometimes.
    I have no problem with the moderation.
    It is what it is.

Well well well, Seems defenders are all buddies.
    Dave, you might need to call some backup too.
    *I'm joking.

chuckfan581, LLew, jeff8434 and 4 others like this.
  6. etumimi

etumimi Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    MInaiinsky
    Level:
    絵師
    Guild:
    Miuchi
    daveは私にとって恩人です。
    私のforumあかうんとが盗まれた時にすぐにリアルタイムで相談にのってくれたり、私が嫌がらせを受けているときに親身になって対応してくれました。私は彼の行動力を高く評価し、ユーザーの声を聞いてくれる。このゲームはユーザーとスタッフの距離が近い分、意見の食い違いが生じる事は仕方がない事ですが、少なからず彼はスタッフとしてユーザーに対してとてもいい仕事をしていると認識しています:pengun:

7. lxlx

lxlx Donator

IGN:
    awlz
    Guild:
    Create
    what the fuck tham. Seriously?

Not really, i just found it funny and slightly disapproving because the discussion was about zerking, not drk in general, and i always thought sparky wasn't that good of a zerker (because of his showcase video back then), but without question he definitely has contributed his share to the drk community in his own way so maybe it was an honorable mention? Although i think there are other drks that would be just as worthy of a mention rather than putting both of us on a pedestal. I think people are entitled to their own opinions on who they use as a benchmark or whatever which is why i didn't comment on darkomantis post, the same reason as why i'm not gonna comment on donn1e's post too, because she too is entitled to her own opinion and statement.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    Kloss, Valzer, Donn1e and 1 other person like this.
  8. Valzer

Valzer Donator

IGN:
    Valzer
    Level:
    Guild:
    Degens
    Are we honestly comparing a personal attack that has nothing to do with the game to an in-game criticism?
    One clearly goes over multiple of your own forum rules, while the other doesn't because it still exists.

Deleting the comment wasn't a Power trip, chasing Donnie around the forum is.
    Why bother with making Donnie create a ban appeal and report abuse just to revert it himself? and without informing the staff he himself mentioned.

Staff should monitor each other if there is a ban appeal about a certain member of the staff.
    Don't let a staff member decide the action brought against himself.

I would hold my standards the same for everyone, if he deemed this comment to break any rules, which Dave didn't, he should remove it.

In this case, he didn't deem this comment to break any rules but still chose to remove it.

I still think this thread should be locked, maybe a new one that does talk about the raised problem should be created, and staff should respond to it after the player base forms an opinion.

NotSun, Puff2153 and Donn1e like this.
  9. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    Since when did I chase Donn1e around?

The Ban Appeal is intended for the appeal of reply-ban, not for the revert

I am not deciding the actions to be taken on me (the forum mod), I have also requested the list of over-moderation + reports by the frustrated players so that the Staff team can review if I did any acts of power abuse

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    NehZu likes this.
  10. Valzer

Valzer Donator

IGN:
    Valzer
    Level:
    Guild:
    Degens
    Deleting a comment about a thing you deemed not breaking any rules -> Shoutbox -> Report Abuse -> Ban Appeal -> Thread about your actions

If this isn't chasing around I don't know what is.

Of course, it was about the reply-ban and not the comment.
    It shouldn't have been a ban appeal because you mentioned that it didn't break any rules...

I'm not talking about any actions about you, I'm talking about actions involving you.
    If you hand out a ban to someone for whatever reason you think personally, that involves a forum ban - other staff members should look at it, not the one who banned it.

This feedback was about moderation improvement suggestions, I didn't see anybody trying to call for any action against you, which I don't call for either.

11. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    Will stop replying to you after this as you have made several assumptions about the matter and I have been correcting you

I have already explained Ban Appeal is required for reply-ban and shoutbox ban
    If you feel I have pressure or insult Donn1e in the shoutbox, you can submit a report about it and request Staff to check the logs
    (I did no such thing)

I did not mention it didn't break any rules, I have mentioned several times the comment is irrelevant to the skills and can lead to flame war (which Donn1e disagrees with)
    You are purposely misquoting me on the matter and I don't know where you are going with this

I did not give the verbal warning or reply-ban for my own selfish reasons
    Again, you are attempting to twist the narrative
    (Staff have handled the appeal + some Staff also looked at this thread)

I would recommend checking the initial post again, Donn1e mentioned other players are frustrated with how I moderate
    I am not gonna claim that I did a 100% perfect job, that is for other Staff to discuss and determine once the reports are submitted

If you guys gonna claim I have multiple over-moderation + frustrated players caused by my actions, how would the Staff team proceed without the reports + details

Saledor, Ghostie, MitchyD and 2 others like this.
  12. Valzer

Valzer Donator

IGN:
    Valzer
    Level:
    Guild:
    Degens

I'm not twisting anything.
    Imagine going to court, getting a verdict, appealing it, and getting the same judge on your appeal.
    This is what you tried doing on the ban appeal and only after Donnie requested another staff member handle it, it was changed to another staff member.

How does a comment about the supposedly "best" zerk players have no relevance to a zerk suggestion?

Some basic logic - if it didn't break any rule, it shouldn't have been removed, if it did, it should have been removed.

Which was it? What rule was broken?

Sure, this thread became a shit show after some people who don't contribute anything to this feedback besides flaming.

Again, I would suggest locking it and opening a more informative feedback thread that can cover actual moderation faults.

Donn1e likes this.
  13. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    What I wrote at
    https://royals.ms/forum/threads/fee...ges-and-balancing.205730/page-18#post-1392614
    Despite writing the above so clearly, some players are still attempting to discredit me by claiming I have tried to handle the matter alone + silence Donn1e
    (a few players have claimed so)

If I have abused my powers and over-moderate, the victims should report it
    But there's nothing I can do to change your mind due to the said players strong bias of how terrible I am

Forgot to mention this, for players who felt this applies to me
    - "you are doing a terrible job"
    - "it's so obvious the action is a power trip/over-moderation"
    - "Dave is an awful forum mod"

You can apply to be a Forum Mod and prove me wrong
    https://royals.ms/forum/forums/staff-applications.66/

DM me 1 year later with "look Dave, it's so easy. no drama when I moderate, you can learn something from me"
    It's easy to write stuff such as "so obvious" for forum moderation, but would you guys take the role and prove me wrong?
    (lots of people won't wanna get involved in the Royals drama, just like how some players disagree with Donn1e comments after I asked their view on it but they do not wish to join in the drama by giving their honest opinions)

14. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

Just want to say a few words to summarize.
    First of all, as for the subject of the sparky/awlz comment.
    As I said, this was secondary all along:
    Even though I would disagree with the reasoning, like I said at the start, I wouldn't mind my comment removed with a warning.
    My main issues were however:
    1. Having my comment edited, which I don't think should be a thing.
    2. Getting banned not for my comment, but for replying to a mod.

For those reasons, I wanted to feedback and get a response from staff.
    Staff has been replying to me that this is not how I should handle it, and I should make a report instead.
    However, making a report was the first thing I did, and I was not allowed to do that:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So i submitted a ban appeal, and I failed to get any comment from staff there on those moderation actions.
    If I can't make a report, and I don't get answers on my ban appeal, posting here is a logical conclusion.
    I don't understand why even staff members are confused about me not making a report instead, when they know very well I made one first?

Despite my Sparky comment and it's removal not being the main subject of my post, I did not get any attention to my actual main subject of this (and like 99% of the text I wrote?).
    Instead, I only got people expressing their opinion on my Sparky comment together with a disgusting personal attack.
    Am I surprised? no.
    I know the "endgame" community of Royals, and I see this type of comments about me a lot.
    In fact, what's said behind the scenes is way worse than this and would probably not even be appropriate for the forums.

So no, I'm not surprised and frankly I don't care about their removal or my comment's removal.
    I didn't once "attack" Dave or accuse of him of anything like hunting me or being clearly against me, just accused him of poor moderating.
    I'm simply here to talk about the way things were moderated and push for a change.
    But Royals being Royals - if there is a hint of drama things will always turn the other way.
    Edit: though throwing the towel as a mod and just saying "from now on I just don't moderate anything" is just as bad of an approach.

While I could say a bunch of things about the Sparky/awlz situation (there is a mountain of context behind it, and if you think it came out of nowhere you are just not aware) and about the personal attacks, I don't think its fitting to throw poop at each other on the forum.
    If you want to throw poop at me, go ahead.

Hope that clears up my position, and why this thread is here in the first place and not on the Reports section.

Snuf, RonJJ and Valzer like this.
  15. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    The Ban Appeal is for reply-ban
    No Staff ever said you are not allowed to submit a report
    You are misrepresenting the situation to discredit the Staff

upload_2024-1-19_20-47-54.png
    I have re-opened the thread, you can add on with details such as the mentioned
    "I've seen many cases of over-moderation lately - on selling threads, shoutbox, feedback threads etc."

We are already 4~5 pages in and the wave of frustrated players have yet to chip in on my awful moderation nor submit a report about it

Snuf likes this.
  16. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

That is entirely false, as clearly said in the report:
    And as indicated by the title of the report too, this was a report of what in my opinion was over-moderating, while asking for your actions to be reviewed.
    Can you at least do me the courtesy of not saying I'm trying to "mislead the public" with every comment I say?
    Also, by closing my thread and saying "make a ban appeal instead", that kinda is saying to me that this is not the place to post.

With that said, if I'm now allowed to comment on that thread again I will go there instead.

Snuf, NotSun and Valzer like this.
  17. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    No point in us arguing with each other about the assumptions that were made

You can submit the evidence you have on my power abuse

Players can always comment on [Closed] thread unless it's [Locked] but you took it as I was mad at you on the Ban Appeal
    I corrected it cause it sounds like I was stopping you to report me (misleading statement)
    https://royals.ms/forum/threads/cant-comment-on-feedback-threads.228257/#post-1392629

Note: if I ever abused my powers to ban a player without providing reason, or deleting/locking reports, other Staff would be able to view it

18. MitchyD

MitchyD Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    xLust
    Level:
    16x
    Guild:
    Starlight
    Personal attacks should never be tolerated.
    Literally no one disagrees with you on that point.

When the Saledor drama happened and I queried about whether your community was going overboard with the insults, memes and hate.
    I remember the response effectively read 'just bantz bro'.
    Note: That is not the exact response I got but it's effectively my interpretation.

To suggest that people are attacking you when they are making similar comments/memes made at Saledor is a bit hypocritical especially when you had zero interest to lessen the amount of hate he would receive.

Are you missing the point?
    Dave and others have explicitly mentioned that those type of comments have no place in the feedback post.

19. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

Are you really going to draw parallels between what happened with Saledor to this?
    Calling out a shitty ingame action, as opposed to straight up personal life attacks.
    Not to mention, whole pages were nuked as a result of what happened there anyway.
    Certain people might dislike me, but agreeing with your take here is going to be tough, just the same way as it was in the blacklist thread.

You see what you are doing now, right?
    I was just talking about how literally a small portion of this was about the awlz/sparky comment, and that the main subject is what we should talk about, and you steer it away once again.
    I understand you are still sour about what happened with Saledor, but honestly you can't just compare the 2.

I think the one missing the point is you, as this is a thread focused on the topic of:
    "Over moderation and annoyance to the community".
    And not:
    "Who made the more offensive comment" or "who do I hate the most".

As I already explained to Dave, I will be moving this to the Report soon instead, as this is more fitting and it got re-opened.

20. MitchyD

MitchyD Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    xLust
    Level:
    16x
    Guild:
    Starlight
    Firstly I don't care about Saledor in the slightest.
    I'm simply referring to a where people in your clique seemed to take the opportunity to bully and overly criticize another player.

Was he in the wrong? 100%
    Should it have dragged on for 5 or more pages? Probably not.

I personally feel as though you are currently doing that to Dave which is why I am even posting in the first place.

I'd be happy to discuss this.

I obviously wasn't present for this incident so feel free to correct me if I misspeak.
    From what I read it seems to me like you were upset that Dave edited your comment by removing the irrelevant comments of your post?
    I think you even mentioned that you would've preferred him to delete the comment in its entirety.
    If you did happen to contribute a helpful response to the feedback post then surely snipping out the snarky comments would be the appropriate use of moderation?
    Simply deleting the full comment could remove valuable information which you might've included.
    In fact I'd consider that as poor use of moderation.

The ban itself I can't speak to.
    That could be considered a mishandled use of admin powers but you could have easily warranted it as well.
    These implementations aren't always going to be consistent due to human error.

I personally don't know anyone who feels as though Dave overly moderates.
    I've literally only heard good things about him from players in my BL, Guild and Alliance.
    If you think he is actively power-abusing then I don't really know what else to say to make you feel differently.

Reminder:
    In an ideal world neither you nor Dave would be getting hate.
    I'm sorry if you both are and wish to remind you that if either of you need someone to talk to please don't hesitate to contact me.
    This is just a game at the end of the day and some people seem to get carried away with the anonymity that this game, forum and the internet provide and simply feel the need to attack anyone in a way that hurts them most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.