Forum Over moderation and annoyance to the community

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Donn1e, Jan 18, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Forum Moderator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    I do think it's silly for Forum Mods to apply a blanket ban/removal, oh well

If Forum Mods (or any Staff) have a choice on the matter, should only delete the irrelevant comments that could invite flaming
    (have been doing this for quite some time)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    MitchyD likes this.
  2. MitchyD

MitchyD Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    xLust
    Level:
    16x
    Guild:
    Starlight
    That's how I would approach it as well.

There are some exceptionally smart players that provide very helpful tips, guides and breakdowns for certain mechanics.
    It would be a shame to burn the entire thread/post just because they said an irrelevant statement.

3. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

Where was that implied?
    What I did say was - if you find a comment irrelevant/offensive you should remove it and issue a warning, to make sure the player knows and won't post such comment again.
    Editing a comment instead, even though you might think it just means that you leave the "useful" portion of a comment - is just simply not the way.
    It changes the tone and intention of a comment, and that's simply editing my words.
    If you deleted my comment, I would probably disagree with the reasoning, but I might just dm you to get to the bottom of it and not get as angry over it.

Anyway, I didn't manage to get a single point across here and my main arguments are just not addressed.
    You can lock this, moderate it if you would like, whatever you want.
    For me, this thread is irrelevant as I will just continue in the report when I get around to it later today, as this seems to be the only way to get staff's response.
    Thank you.

4. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    You can report this thread if you would like it to be locked so that I can ask other Staff to lock it

I am not gonna lock this thread, probably will get accused of an attempt of power abuse or silencing if I do so

Tentomon, Saledor and Becca like this.
  5. GrindingToTheLimits

GrindingToTheLimits Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Fine fine i didn't know there's a drop in staff members. But Dave needs to chill. Also i honestly do think that game would be 10x better if there wouldn't be any rules just like old maplestory did, except for getting banned for hacking, RWT etc. I mean i have reported so many times and gotten so many people banned with my reports, even I think this is getting out of hand, people whine and cry about everything in this server. I mean the gm's didn't really participate what players did for a long long time in the old days, game was more fun back then, it was like a wild west where people could KS others and say anything they want, freedom of speech. Not like i bully others in game but you get my point, you can't even stay in the same map with someone else, it's instant "CC pls or report". So much elitism and toxicism in this server i'd gladly roll how i rolled in 2006.. but can't. This might be irrelevant to this so i will stop commenting here.

6. ShakedBaws

ShakedBaws Donator

Country Flag:
    I tend to agree Dave is a wonderful mod ~imboss

Saledor, Paton, Geto and 2 others like this.
  7. Seyu

Seyu Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Seyu
    Level:
    Dave's perspective:
    • Forum moderation is a valuable, difficult, mostly invisible, and underappreciated job.
    • Forum moderators must make judgement calls frequently, because forum moderation is often far from black and white.
    • A forum moderator should not need to constantly defend their judgement calls as it is a large and unnecessary addition to an already-heavy workload.
    • If a forum moderator is overstepping, the primary checks-and-balances should come from other, neutral staff, and not from the players that the forum moderator is moderating.
    Donn1e's perspective:
    • Being censored and/or muted is a very unpleasant experience that can feel personally motivated
    • Visibility of honest opinions can be more important than preemptive censoring/peacekeeping of potentially inflammatory content
    • Forum content is currently actively moderated, perhaps a little too active, bordering on paranoid
    • Existing checks and balances on forum moderators feel convoluted, opaque, and feels a bit like a performative wild goose chase
    My opinion:
    • I dislike discussions which are set up as us-versus-them, I'm-right-you're-wrong situations
    • I look up to Dave and consider him a fundamentally good person and a valuable member of the community
    • I look up to Donn1e and consider her a fundamentally good person and a valuable member of the community
    • I feel sad when I see people that I like argue with one another
    Common ground that Dave and Donn1e can hopefully agree on:
    • Royals forums is drama-hungry, and small disagreements tends to snowball into massive drama (which is fun for like five minutes and then rapidly becomes exhausting)
    • Tension and pride are running high, constructive comments are running low
    • Ultimately, the forums should be a pleasant place to spend time in, and both Dave & Donn1e are actually wanting this same thing, even if they disagree on how to get there
    • As Dave and Donn1e are both prominent members of the community, if this can somehow be resolved amicably, it would set a great example for everyone else to follow.
    Moving forward...
    • What's said is said, what's done is done.
    • Empathy and olive branches (whether public or private) can go a long way.
    • Discussion should focus on what sort of forum content is acceptable (and what needs to be moderated) in future, not in the past.
    • Forum moderation is complicated and both Dave's and Donn1e's perspectives have value and are important to consider.
    • A resolution can be reached without needing a 'winner' or a 'loser'.
    I might not be currently active in-game but I hope that when I come back someday, y'all will both still be around. See y'all.

GillBates, Puff2153, Takikun and 19 others like this.
  8. Gunit

Gunit Donator

Country Flag:
    Dave is judge, jury and executioner.

9. Ponderous

Ponderous Active Member

IGN:
    Ponderous
    This isn't really my place to say this, but it's a good idea for everyone to take a step back and take a deep breath. Everyone has something to learn from this situation, and we should take feedback seriously and ourselves less seriously. Let's foster an atmosphere of compassion and understanding. It's easy to get caught up in our egos, but really we all want the best for this community and relive our memories through this game. Strive for love and kindness. ^^

Saledor, Paton, FeistyFox and 4 others like this.
  10. OldOwl

OldOwl Donator

Thats the kind of drama I was missing for so long :pepeboba:
    Besides that.. there should be a code implemented on forum threads for bumping, if posted less than 24 hours since last response (check if player.id has already replied on the current post -> get time stamp -> compare -> block/ approve) should resolve one of the issues mentioned.
    Regarding moderation and heavy rules, I actually like it, not all people are created equal and so did their maturity. I prefer to enjoy the time I "waste" on gaming, so be it at least pleasant than sorrow. Each player carries the responsibility to read forum and game rules and obey or be treated.
    Regarding freedom of speech, it is not as easy topic as it sounds as it is very subjective. Maybe it is time to introduce the dislike button, on comments, if a certain amount of downvotes is reached, the forum mod should be prompted to treat it. That way the blame and fire is dodged while maintaining the "freedom" of speech that is decided by the community members. :pepeking:
    Also don't forget to add ruling to avoid abuse of such feature, abuse = ban!
    :pepemad: Fun fact: the majority of 1 star comments on gtop100 for this server are made by QQers who were banned due to being too lazy to read the rules.

Edit to avoid double posting: Regarding potential issues that it might introduce as mentioned by @Dave Deviluke. Personally, I do not believe that "speaking out against" should be a thing. We are mature enough to either agree with a given statement or introduce a statement that carries a better idea (which will automatically pull people to agree with it). Regarding friend circle, idk idk, I have no friends here (Except 1 friend from real life and a brother who rarely plays). Solo for life :8): and I do not feel any less equal in terms of being able to introduce opinions.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  11. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    I think that would have some issues on its own, such as newbies or players with fewer friends being afraid to speak out against well-known members due to the possibility of mass dislike by the well-known member's friend circle

Difficult to have a ruling to prevent such an abuse

Geto, Majima1, Snuf and 5 others like this.
  12. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    Will be closing this Feedback

Although I have requested Donn1e to provide info about the mentioned over-moderations I have done so that Admins may review and take the necessary disciplinary actions, nothing was provided

I am open to disagreements or criticism, but there's nothing I can do if someone accuses me of "many cases of over-moderation" and does not wish to provide the details

Again, for the alleged victims of my over-moderation, please either submit Feedback or Report about my actions

Geto and Aeronautics like this.
  13. Donn1e

Donn1e Donator

Just a final comment from me because the above comment can paint me as a liar in some people's eyes.
    You bumped my report today, and this was my comment:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hardly "no evidence".
    I did provide explanation about my case, but as I said I'm not here to make reports for the others.

For me this is concluded, I'm just not satisfied with your wording.
    I won't be responding to any more comments.

Valzer likes this.
  14. Dave Deviluke

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
  15. itu

itu Well-Known Member

IGN:
    ItuHunter
    >"there is no over moderation shown"
    >overmoderation was shown and is shown again
    >posts funny greentext and a meme mocking the player

Valzer and Donn1e like this.
  16. Bacon

Bacon GM

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    BaconLord01
    Level:
    Guild:
    Tenacity
    Locking this thread as it’s turning negative. As Dave and others have mentioned, the best way to have an admin review Dave’s work is to report a post/action using the “Report” feature under a message/post. We will forward it to our admins (pending it’s not just trolling) and they will review it. So far Dave has not stepped out of line (general staff agreement, not just my opinion). I would also suggest that if anyone disagrees with either something Dave does, or a decision from staff, you can always create a feedback post (keep it positive suggestions or it will get closed out), or also just move on as this is just a game that is free to play….

eVolve, Johnny, Zancks and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.