Removal of warp-to-FM button functionality

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Azurite, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaundeSheep

ShaundeSheep Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    EPEPEP
    Level:
    17X
    I miss the chat room

2. Azurite

Azurite Donator

IGN:
    Jiwoo/Isseo
    "#BringBackFMWarp" is feedback; I can't believe the staff is deleting posts.

"If you're going to post in a feedback thread then actually make some feedback. Not just spam." m y a s s

3. Sila

Sila Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Silachan
    Level:
    Guild:
    Oblivion
    That was me. I'd like to keep the thread with real discussion, as it has started becoming with the last few pages, rather than just bandwagon rioting. If you don't like it, take it out on me and in my inbox, I'll handle it.

Anvil, darkjordanx, Hampa and 5 others like this.
  4. Michael

Michael Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    17step
    Guild:
    Heroes
    The intent of the GM who deleted the posts was to say that if you'd like to state your opinion, do so with an actual reason of why you want it rather than just a statement of what you want. The former is feedback whereas the latter is just incessantly filling a thread that we need to read through with wasteful posts we've already seen 30 odd times. We get it, you want the FM warp back. We know.

I've made the decision to close this thread not because I want anyone to feel silenced, but because I believe we've heard enough. 100 odd posts later, we understand that you want the FM warp back, and we understand why you think removing it was simply a bad choice. Now, I want you to read this post carefully before you decide what you want to do next.

I did not want the FM Button removed. I actively stood against it, as I have actively stood against other aspects of the game that we've released or soon intend to release. But I am not the only one with a say in what happens on this server, just as you all aren't either. I said something very important early on in this thread that I want you all to really understand and accept before you move forward with your opinions. This server is the result of one man's dream for a server, and that dream is what has created MapleRoyals. He could have had many other dreams - custom end-game content like Boss PQs, revamped skills to balance classes in a way that official MapleStory did not, custom storylines to make the game quest based, or any number of other things. Maybe you'd be here if he had gone those ways, maybe you wouldn't have. Who knows? But instead, he chose this. He chose to have a server that's very slightly customized but for the most part the same as old MapleStory. And for that reason, he determined that the best way to encourage interaction the way that the official servers did was make them have to make the step to meet others. That's why the FM warp button was removed, that's why boat rides are becoming mandatory. There are a number of other smaller reasons that you've all shot down, just as I did in private discussion myself. In the same way, the arguments in favor of the FM warp button being there were shot down in this thread a few times too, just as they were our private discussions. Matt's dream for a server is one without an FM warp button, and if we want to play the server that is his dream, we have to at least give him a chance to show us what he believes in before we tell him it's wrong.

So please, what I ask you at this time is to wait, give it time, and believe in him. Believe that this change won't be as bad as you think it will, and if it is really that bad? I'll ask you to remember something that I said a long time ago in this very thread.

I hear you, and I'm going to do my best.

Anvil, HVCK, Bingsu and 27 others like this.
  5. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    Story time:

I will admit that the decision to make this change has been very heavily influenced by me, for the reasons Dimitri mentioned above, but also because of the ambitions I had set in mind when I first decided to create MapleRoyals back in 2013.

Ever since the very beginning my goal has been to create an environment as similar as possible to as we all remember the game being back in 2008/2009, for me those were the golden days, the time when I felt the game was the most enjoyable and that I remember having the most fun with my friends in game. I wanted things to be exactly as how they used to be without having to pay for NX so that there were no in-game advantages to players who had money to spare.

However, I had very little coding knowledge back then, and quite literally no idea how to get a game up and running without following tutorials and using publicly released source codes. Because of this, the game contained a lot of custom features from whomever had developed or modified the source code in the past, some notable features would turn out to be the warp-to-FM button, NX/Smegas dropping from mobs, and the godly items system. In actual fact... I believe it took a couple of weeks of the server being up for some friends to play on before we even noticed that the godly items feature was a thing. I remember feeling embarrassed for not knowing what functions were in the server I had made, and about all the bugs that were in the game, but it also helped motivate me further to try and figure out how I could make the game to become like what I had in mind.

I remember having conversations with my friends that played the game at the beginning, about some of the custom features, and whether they should be kept in or not. And regarding both super megaphones and the warp-to-FM button we all concluded that it might be best to keep them in the game, to help create a social atmosphere with the ~50ish players we had at the time. At least until the server became popular... which I did not expect it to at all. And so ever since we exceeded around 300-400 players I have had a great urge to want to remove the feature, which was ever more influenced by reports that the button was being used by players in ways I had not intended the feature to be there for. And the reason it had not been removed since then up until now is because I knew that it would be a very controversial change, and so figured it would be best to be done alongside the other major change we have been wanting to have released for over a year now, which is the new source.

I do understand completely that it might have come as quite a shock and has angered some players, which I knew would likely be the case at first. It was definitely one of the harder decisions to make, and it pains me when I know that I'm making a change that will upset some people. But I honestly do feel that if players would give this a try to see how things are without a warp-to-FM button for a while, that they will adapt, and eventually it may become one of those 'Do you remember when?' things, just like the 'super megaphones from drops' change.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.