So many permabans!!

Discussion in 'Closed' started by winwinjelly, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kleric

Kleric Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Jero
    Alright, that's fair. I just wasn't sure~

87Karlos likes this.
  2. violaceopes

violaceopes Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Calyx
    Guild:
    Radiance
    The rules, and the consequences for breaking them, are clearly defined. Requiring people to indicate that they've read the rules when signing up is an extra kindness. If, after all that, you choose to break the rules, get caught, and are banned, them's the breaks. Better luck with your reading comprehension and impulse control next time.

Just once, instead of a whiny ban appeal or goodbye post laden with self apologism and a martyr complex, I'd like to see an "I broke the rules and paid the price; don't be like me" thread.

Tentomon and Kibito like this.
  3. LilNoddy

LilNoddy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    GosuNoddy
    I think a quiz implemented at the step of account creation is fair. When man signs a contract, man might not read through the full terms and conditions.. Man might argue there is a reasonable belief that T&Cs of a private server may be less restrictive than the usual gaming T&Cs. A quiz or reminder would let man know it don't be true.

Realistically, man don't see ting changing as the rules have been here for 44 years. Relaxation of rules would see well-behaving players and banned players from the past go SKRA.

At the end of the day, it's a private server managed by a person(s) who can choose the kind of people they want on the server. Maybe they think someone who even considers hacking/account sharing is not allowed on the server, thus they stick to the strict rule of "you agreed to the rules when you signed up, fair warning even though it sounds lame!", so only the ones who are pure (didn't consider hacking/account sharing even when not informed explicitly of rules) remain on the server. This is just speculation but you get the point: they want a clean server, and it doesn't look like it hurt population numbers either; there are 7800 ban appeal threads but Royals is still numero uno.

Another thought: allowing second chances will increase the workload of staff-- more monitoring, more processing. Someone who has broken the rules is likely to break them again (see: cheaters). Why would staff burden themselves for the benefit of these "criminals"?

Lastly, to be fair, there isn't really a ZERO TOLERANCE RULE with regards to say, vote abuse and account sharing. I don't see how extremely minor abuse (accidentally vote twice within 23 hours one time) or account sharing (brother comes to press spacebar on your laptop to annoy you) can be picked up, else there will be people getting banned left, right, center every day. If your action is significant enough to be detected and realised immediately to be offending, you probably had it coming.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. violaceopes

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Calyx
    Guild:
    Radiance
    I see no reason to baby anyone. If they read the T&C and don't understand, the onus is on them to make a forum post asking for clarification.

Also, I seriously doubt that most of the claims of ignorance are actually true. Do you think this guy didn't realize perfectly well that hacking is a permban? People play innocent in hopes of getting off the hook, whether it's in the form of feigning ignorance about the rules, or blaming their imaginary sibling.

Here's a metaphor: Matt is under no obligation to let someone crap on his rug twice just because their parents didn't potty train them.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    MoriForest, Bean, Kai and 6 others like this.
  5. Sen

Sen Donator

IGN:
    Sentenial
    [​IMG]

...wrong hyperlink? am i being jebaited? help LOL

Tentomon and violaceopes like this.
  6. violaceopes

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Calyx
    Guild:
    Radiance
    Ugh that's what I get for doing this on mobile

Tentomon, Sen, Eli and 1 other person like this.
  7. LilNoddy

LilNoddy Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    GosuNoddy
    :thinking:
    While we're on this topic, how do ppl feel about instant permabans because of a joke about rwt? I have to catch myself many times from jokingly offering nasi lemak for a guildy's items or saying i'll pay tree fiddy for an item. One day I might just blurt it out while not thinking at all/being tired from a long day. I feel like such cases should be reviewed to see whether there was an actual intention to perform rwt.
    Might be funny to see others suffering but one day you could be the one perma'd.

8. Prideful

Prideful Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Prideful
    Level:
    Guild:
    Radio
    That's a pretty extreme comparison dont you think? I know you're a bit salty but comparing a volunteer work with an executioner?

It's a temporary 3 day ban. No one lost a life over this.

:thinking:

Penny, Bean, Sen and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tentomon

Tentomon Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CaptainHeidi
    Level:
    The issue is that you're trying to compare bans in an online game that doesn't really affect anybodys life in the bigger scheme of things with the death penalty, which is a permanent loss of one's life.

Your character is DATA AND PIXELS. It doesn't really "die" when you're banned. It was never life to begin with, so it cannot die.
    Your body is alive and you are conscious. Losing that is a far bigger deal.

10. Tentomon

Tentomon Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CaptainHeidi
    Level:
    My name is Heidi, not Jesus FYI. You can feel free to call me Tentomon, Tent, Tenty, or Kabuterimon as well. But please not "Jesus". I don't like that name, it sounds weird.

And I find it an emotional thing because death is such a major loss. If I was to get permabanned from this server, I'd never refer to that as death or the death penalty of anything of the like. Losing my father to an illness when he was just 56 was heart breaking. Death is a serious thing. Don't minify it by acting like it's comparable to being permabanned on a server.

Sen likes this.
  11. Vank

Vank Well-Known Member

apparently people rather be nit picky about analogies i pick and start sharing their life stories instead of focusing on the main point, so im out of this thread so it doesn't get even more derailed.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    welch123
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogues
    Yo why did you delete your posts? ~f8

Mrkaren, Sen and Bean like this.
  13. John

John Donator

It seems the OPs question was answered so I'm going to close this thread before it gets more dramatic.

Sen, Rob, Tentomon and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.