Staff team changes

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Josh, Dec 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. June

June Well-Known Member

This is why I've advocated for staff members with redundant skills. It is NOT healthy for one person to have the sole responsibility in such a large task. Staff members have previously supplied admins with suggestions, such as hiring outside developers (don't play the game, so wouldn't benefit much) or having a QC step where the bulk of the work can be done, checked by a veteran/admin and then implemented into the source code. Staff members even asked if the Library could be crowdsourced via the players. The admins shot down those ideas citing lack of trust and not knowing where to start.

The website has been half finished for years. These tasks fall and get lost between the cracks because the admins have too much pride in doing everything themselves. What happens when they decide to disappear for a month? We are all at a stalemate and get burnt out from apologizing via shoutbox about delays and character issues that require a server check. Issues sit for weeks and only when someone tags an admin numerous times for their feedback do they get addressed. I personally felt horrible tagging admins because I trusted they were busy doing other tasks they didn't feel comfortable delegating out.

TL:DR admins need to delegate out their tasks and create tools for GMs to use. The game has gone on so long without autoban. It can last another week if they told their developer to help take off tasks from admins, but no. They were complacent then and they are complacent now.

^-^, Egoiste, TBK and 24 others like this.
  2. Gellyroll

Gellyroll Well-Known Member

IGN:
    xCintare ღ
    Level:
    Guild:
    Savior ღ
    That's just horrible. Why can't a custom pixel mushroom game also needs to get snitched like how about just be creative and not steal anyone's hard work smh

Anyway, I wish I can just say it's easy to hire and look at resume but realistically speaking it's not but I still hope that Karven gets a team because things will always be this slow If he'll continue being just a one-man army. :'( I'm not saying you guys have not discussed this at all but maybe really put more thought into it because this is just not about Karven alone it's also the health of the game and overall outlook too.

3. Rhynhardt

Rhynhardt Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Rhynhardt
    Level:
    This I feel is the thing that should take the upmost priority. An autoban system is always going to be temporary and need maintenance, but this? This is what makes your manpower utilized appropriately. You have the resources that is free labor for people passionate about the game but no method to utilize them effectively. You do this, you bring more confidence from the community, with a high turn around rate and gives these volunteers a sense of purpose. Keep in mind that you will need this tool anyway for false bans by the autoban system.

I'm willing to donate the funds to get this project completed because I feel this would be a gamechanger for most of the community. An autoban system is helpful but hackers adapt faster than you can write this system, and would require constant maintenance, so it should take more time. But this? This should be basic.

Masqueradia, TBK, Kai and 2 others like this.
  4. June

June Well-Known Member

My suggestions for a revisioned Staff Application
    Please, feel free to add on what you guys think is necessary.

Which position are you applying for?:
    [ ]Game Master Intern
    -insert general job description, possible job responsibilities-
    [ ]Forum Moderator
    -insert general job description, possible job responsibilities-

Personal Details:
    Name:
    Are you over 18? (yes/no)
    Character Names:
    Do you have a Discord? (yes/no)
    What server time do you generally play in?
    When did you join?: How long have you been actively playing for?
    What do you like most about MapleRoyals?:
    What do you like least about MapleRoyals?

Which languages do you speak and how well?:
    What is your main focus in life?:

Have you ever played any of the official MapleStory(s)?:
    Which one?:
    How long?:
    Character name:

What skills or unique qualities will you be bringing with you to the MapleRoyals team?

What aspects/activities of MapleRoyals do you partake in? (Bossing, collecting, party quests, exploring, community)

Besides those listed above, what do you believe to be important qualities of a staff member?
    What kind of GM or Forum Mod do you envision yourself becoming?

Why do you want to work with us?

How much time do you think you would commit to staff responsibilities if chosen?
    Do you have any real life commitments or responsibilities you feel are important to you and would like to tell us about that could interfere with your staff duties? (Work, education, relationships, etc)

Have you ever been banned in game or on the forums before?
    Have you ever been assigned a Staff position on any private server game(s)?:
    List the game(s):
    How long have you worked there?:
    What do did your duties entail?
    Do you still work there? If no, why not?

If you could change or add one rule to MapleRoyals what would that be?

5. Kai

Kai Donator

@Matt

Egoiste, TBK, Kentavious and 12 others like this.
  6. Cooler

Cooler Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Absoloot
    Level:
    Guild:
    Treasure
    As someone who's posted an embarrassing amount of poorly communicated but vested feedback, and also a mountain of unposted feedback due to what seems like a frustrating lack of staff to deal with almost anything outside of ban appeals and event bugs, this is a bittersweet revelation, especially in the greater context of what a scumbag Tim has been, (shoulda stepped down when you said you would, Tim, and you def should now).
    And as someone semi obsessed with creative problem solving, I like ruminating on "useless skills" and other class related definers and qol, and enjoy making characters and playing them to get this perspective. I have a 195 shad, a 165 MM and sair, 143 fp, 158 pala, (my only regret in posting is not having a dark knight but they were simple enough to understand from others and I read a lot and changed my mind and listened, and there was actually a decent buff to them from feedback I personally pushed despite other drks shooting down), it is extremely frustrating to find out so few on board have any first hand or even class experience, but also I knew it 100% in my bones that there must have been folks making decisions that had no idea what they were doing and without any perspective and outright ignoring it because of that, outside of empty vacuum tests that reflect absolutely nothing to an actual unfunded players normal play experience and growth

Uh anyway my personal nonsense aside, thank you all so much, everyone contributing here for what will definitely be the most important and critical feedback thread of all for us, and staff. Large blocs of players are waiting to see what happens here and poised to leave for good because of last night's revelations

SleepySleepy and Toothbrush5 like this.
  7. Ynk

Ynk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Do we need a new administrator to share the work of Tim, instead of shortening the rule-breaking time to filter some information that is considered a waste of time

8. KWJ

KWJ Well-Known Member

Guild:
    Oblivion
    We do, but thing is Admin is a very powerful position. Obviously Matt doesn't trust any of the newer GMs enough to promote them.

9. Kai

Kai Donator

@Matt never trusts anyone, with the exception of @Becca since they're together. Not to mention she got access to stuffs that we (when we were still staff) don't. Go figure.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    ^-^, icedem0n, Egoiste and 58 others like this.
  10. Noobie

Noobie Well-Known Member

Level:
    Oopss

11. Noobie

Noobie Well-Known Member

Level:
    I just wonder why Becca and Matt character continuously find the White Lady in the last event, and I feel like this game is a trolling game tbh lol

bar988988, Klorox, FireHeart and 2 others like this.
  12. Momo

Momo Donator

Country Flag:
  13. Kai

Kai Donator

Only Matt has access to the location of Golden Mushroom and White Lady spawn. They logged the spawn location for... I don't know what purpose, but yeah, it's logged. So if you're asking why the both of them always get the kill...I don't know, maybe there's some abuse going on. This is just my speculation. But hey, "my server my rules". :)

For transparency, I've brought up implementing some tools for internal auditing in Staff a few times, where necessary logs are accessible by all Staff so we can cross-examine each other to make sure nothing weird is happening. They didn't listen. So we can only speculate and make somewhat logical assumptions.

Edit: It just occurred to me that they might have been killing spawns that were released awhile ago, which might explain why they get so many kills. But then again, would be good to get some clarification just to clear the air.

^-^, Egoiste, MysticalSt4r and 27 others like this.
  14. Noobie

Noobie Well-Known Member

Level:
    Your server your rules
    So dont kill the White Lady and get your name be noticed in the whole server and make people fuking laugh on that joke.

15. Inugami

Inugami Developer

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    lnugami
    Level:
    Guild:
    Wish
    That's like, spawn killing an area boss leaving other player unable to find or kill them, like, why make those stupid random spawn mob when you're the one ended up killing it anyway? bruh

ginwolf, Klorox, Tako Yuet and 2 others like this.
  16. Noobie

Noobie Well-Known Member

Level:
    Their server, their rules
    Sheep is still sheep

Inugami likes this.
  17. KWJ

KWJ Well-Known Member

Guild:
    Oblivion
    How's this tool not in yet after P Slime thing happened?

18. Josh

Josh Donator

i'm glad that more players are expressing their thoughts here but please be reminded about the above. as much as possible, i don't want this thread to spiral unnecessarily; i hope it concludes with some concrete, actionable items on Staff's (specifically the Admins') part

if necessary, i will report posts that are unconstructive to this conversation, especially if they're in any way referenced to another one that's ongoing

^-^, Scarlof, Egoiste and 17 others like this.
  19. Relmy

Relmy Donator

IGN:
    Relmy
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    LOL, ok i have to speak up here, i mean , you havent noticed that beside them there was 3 to 4 more players that constantly got golden mush and withe lady, player who dont have acces to those logs, theres OBVIOUSLY a strategy behind that, that includes time consumption and some more ppl involved, i clarify this here bcs, if u were pointing at me with 10 acusations, were 9 of them are true and 1 is false and dumb, wich one u think im going to reply? distracting everyone from the real issues, @Kai your idea its actually good for other things, but with all the respect that i have for you, im sorry but this is kind of dumb, im actually waiting for their reply to serious issues pointed out here..

Jesseh and Zusti like this.
  20. Gellyroll

Gellyroll Well-Known Member

IGN:
    xCintare ღ
    Level:
    Guild:
    Savior ღ
    Please do not get offended by me saying this but this is highly unprofessional :'( I would never let my lover get access to my bread and butter and just imagine what If Becca wanted to seek revenge (this is just an example please don't take it seriously) on anyone in this server? This could also include you Matt. Letting someone get access to your very personal things can make them feel a bit too powerful and it can do more bad than any good. Please don't let relationships make you do poor decisions and again; we only want what's for the best and I don't mean to attack, this is just my opinion from it.

Dodo is too pure for Staff until things have changed positively only then I would feel safe that he would apply for Staff. He already tried to take ownership in the Old Damage Range Thread and I think that maybe traumatized him for a little bit (?) #ProtectDodo

TBK, lxlx, maggles and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.