Suggestion - Increase spawnrates on maple island

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Chrizz, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
?

What should be done to make grinding on island comparable to old source?

1. Nothing

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Increase spawn rate

39 vote(s)
    69.6%
  3. Revert to old maps

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. Chrizz

Chrizz Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    In the new source, the spawn rates have changed in many maps. While some maps are now worse for training, it has also allowed for new training spots.
    Another change in the new source is the v0.40 maps for maple island. Most of these maps are bigger than in the old source. Some legacy quests like lucas' quest which gives a workglove and Biggs' quest which gives a fruit knife have now become available again which is great.

However, due to the bigger maps, and the new spawning algorithm, the mob density has decreased significantly. Here is comparison of the EXP rates of the two most popular training maps. Note that dangerous forest hasn't changed in map layout. The difference here is purely based on the spawn rate.

Old source:
    Hunting Ground Middle of the Forest II (aka pig map): 110k/h
    Dangerous Forest (aka mushrooms): 100k/h

New source:
    Hunting Ground Middle of the Forest II (aka pig map): 65k/h
    Dangerous Forest (aka mushrooms): 50k/h

We can't make a direct comparison, since the server's EXP multiplier has changed from 4x to 3.2x. If we multiply the EXP of the new source by 4 and divide it by 3.2 we get how much EXP this would be at 4x.
    For pigs, this is 4*65/3.2 = 81k
    For mushrooms, this is 4*50/3.2 = 63k

This means it takes:
    110/81 ≈ 35% longer to level at pigs compared to the old source
    100/63 ≈ 60% longer to level at mushrooms compared to the old source

I propose that the spawn rate is increased for these maps (preferable slime map as well. I don't have data for that, but the spawn rate is notably lower).
    I don't know by how much the spawn rates would have to be increased; I don't think a 35% spawn rate boost will result in a 35% exp rate boost, so some testing should be done to determine a suitable spawn rate.

Another option would be to revert the maps back to the old source, however, as stated by Matt:
    and as seen in dangerous fores, the spawn rates will still be affected. Also reverting to the old maps will also mean that the new quests will no longer be available.

I rounded the EXP rates for the sake of simplicity, the more accurate numbers for the old source are 111.5k/h for pigs, 99.7k for mushrooms. The accurate numbers for the new source are 64.2k for pigs and 49.1k for mushrooms. I rounded these up more because I'm not as familiar with the new patterns as I was with the old ones, so a small improvement is to be expected. I might even be able to get about 68k for pigs and 53k for mushrooms. However, since these are only marginal improvements, the point of this thread remains.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    looty108, sneque, TopGun and 4 others like this.
  2. Oahu

Oahu Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Oahu
    Level:
    Guild:
    Unity
    Support, I knew the experience per hour was less but I didn't have the math to support it. A larger mob density across popular training maps would be a serious quality-of-life improvement.

looty108, Ben Astarb, Kai and 3 others like this.
  3. Ben Astarb

Ben Astarb Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Delfino
    Level:
    Guild:
    BongLords
    Support

looty108 and Oahu like this.
  4. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    This is quite interesting, as Dangerous Forest now has 30 mobs spawning in the current version over the previous 26, yet it is still that much worse?

Also when you talk about a spawn rate boost by a %, this would be quite hard to gauge. The way that spawns would need to be increased if we decide to do so would be locating new x/y positions in the map for a mob to spawn on, and then choosing which mob should spawn in said position. It's not as simple as applying a % boost unfortunately. This is why reverting the maps would be a lot easier, as it would simply be a copy/paste job back into the wz files, which could easily be released in time for the next patch.

However if you are correct with what you say about Dangerous Forest already being slower, then I would hazard a guess that with it having 26 would be even more slow. Although, I could be completely wrong as I don't know the ins and outs of the way the new spawn system works exactly, and I'd have to get Kevin to explain it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Bacon likes this.
  5. Andreas

Andreas Donator

IGN:
    Egonic
    Level:
    19x
    Significantly increasing the spawn is not very easy, the only viable option is to revert to the old maps, which would happen with the next patch.
    After reading this thread the new quests are apparently not working, and I haven't seen any bug reports for them, which tells me there is very little interest in keeping them.
    They will be removed regardless since we are not going to keep non working quests available.

6. Vagrant

Vagrant Well-Known Member

Aw I was hoping for more Islander stuff, oh well.

looty108 likes this.
  7. Oahu

Oahu Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Oahu
    Level:
    Guild:
    Unity
    I personally had no issues regarding the newer quests, but I am aware of a couple Islanders having theirs bugged or unable to be turned in. If these quests were to be removed due to them not working/old maps being reinstated, would there be an alternative method available for obtaining the new items received as quest rewards? (Colored Work Gloves, Work Gloves, Headbands, Green Skullcap, Fruit Knife)

From my experience the new items added were very well-received, and we would love to still have them available to us in some form.

looty108 likes this.
  8. Chrizz

Chrizz Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    If it is intended that 30 mobs spawn, then that is great. However, I only counted 16 mobs in Dangerous Forest, which leads me to think that this may be a bug.

I counted 24 mobs in pig map, what is the intended amount of spawns for this map? (Hunting Ground Middle of the Forest II)
    I counted 25 mobs in slime map (Hunting Ground Middle of the Forest I)

I have been able to complete all the new quests, so that explains why they have no bug reports. However, the relaxer chair quest is bugged since the boxes don't drop the materials, this quest has been reported. Other than that I don't know of any quests that aren't working.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    looty108 and Oahu like this.
  9. Chrizz

Chrizz Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    @Matt, shall I make a bug report or is this not a bug?

10. Matt

Matt Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Matt
    Level:
    N/A
    Guild:
    Staff
    Kevin has further clarified to me that this isn't a bug and the spawn rates also depend on the size of the map and the mobRate property in the wz files. Therefore the spawn rates you are seeing on Maple Island are how they really should be. I am not sure if we really want to start messing with the number of spawn-points on the map or the mobRate value. I believe Andreas has already made the changes required to revert Maple Island to the previous map types for the next wz update. It may be best to see what affects the reverted changes will have on the maps before looking any further into this.

Ben Astarb likes this.
  11. Chrizz

Chrizz Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    The maps have been converted and I recounted the amount of mobs in the maps:
    Dangerous Forest (mushrooms): 16
    Hunting Ground Middle of the Forest I (slimes): 8
    Hunting Ground Middle of the Forest II (pigs): 9
    It looks like the map size indeed affects spawn rate. Dangerous forest is the same size as in v0.43 and has the same amount of mobs (but still way fewer than in old source). The other two maps are smaller than their v0.43 counterparts and consequently contain fewer mobs.

Oahu likes this.