The Useless Guide to Screenshots

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Creative, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Creative

Creative Donator

Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to the useless guide of screenshots. This guide is for people who are unsure how to take a screenshot or get one of in-game or on their computer. I'll be showing programs, websites to upload them on, and what not to do with certain images that might have personal information in them. Let's get started!

Table of Contents
    1. What is a 'screenshot'?
    2. What programs can I download to take screenshots?
    3. How can I take a screenshot without a program?
    4. Where can I upload my image?
    5. I have personal information on my image, what do I do?

1. What is a 'screenshot'?
    First off, let's talk about what a screenshot is for users that might not know. A screenshot, is an image of a display from a computer screen. An example of this would be a picture of someone's monitor showing their programs or a certain window. These are then uploaded to a image sharing website to be hosted and usually never deleted unless otherwise.

2. What programs can I download to take screenshots?
    There's actually a ton of programs you can download. Some of them are user friendly and easy to use. Others, have a lot of settings and might be hard to use. I'll try my best to post some that have different languages built into them. I'll first start off with the user friendly programs and then work my way to the advanced users. After installing one of them, I highly suggest changing the settings to what you want.

-User Friendly Programs

Lightshot
    Puush.me
    Fraps
    Jing

-Advanced Programs

ShareX

3. How can I take a screenshot without a program?
    I'll try and explain this for both Mac and Windows users. I'll post a video tutorial of each from someone on YouTube if you need to visually see it.

-Windows - Video tutorial
    1. Make sure you're on the window you want to take a screenshot of.
    2. Press PRTSCR which is next to the F12 key.
    3. Open Microsoft Paint/Photoshop and paste the screenshot in there.
    4. Save the file as either a JPEG or PNG.
    5. You successfully have a screenshot of said window!

-MAC - Video tutorial
    1. Press Command-Shift 4 and the mouse pointer should turn into a cross-hair pointer.
    2. Press the space bar, which changes the pointer into a camera pointer.
    3. Move the camera pointer over a window to highlight said window.
    4. Click your mouse/trackpad. To cancel the screenshot, press ESC before you click.
    5. Find the screenshot as a .PNG file on your desktop.

4. Where can I upload my screenshot?
    You can upload your screenshots to image hosting websites. A image hosting website allows users to upload images to a website. The image host will then store the image onto its server, and show the individual different types of code to allow others to view that image. Here's a list of popular websites people use to post their screenshots. If you're using one of the programs listed above, disregard this since they use their own hosting. If you're using a forum and don't want to upload it to a image hosting website, then you can upload it to the forum you're using.

Imgur
    Flickr
    Photobucket
    Tinypic
    ImageShack

5. I have personal information on my image, what do I do?
    Before uploading your picture, make sure its saved somewhere on your computer. Open either Microsoft Paint, GIMP, Photoshop, or another photo editing program you might have or know how to use. Where ever you see personal information you don't want people to see, black it out or blur it out enough so no one knows what it says. After you've done this and saved it, then you can go ahead and upload it.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post below. I'll be sure to answer them or someone will for me.

7/8/16 - Thread created

loyal, Piffy, Dapper and 1 other person like this.