Pet loot changes

Discussion in 'Closed' started by tazan, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Josefu

Josefu Donator

Ah yes, thank you for the insight and reasoning on how disabling multi-client would be bad. This will be useful for me to consider and add into the list of all the pros and cons before I make a new thread about multi-client issue. I'm more inclined to believe that multi-client is perhaps the major offender here that led to this issue so please continue with the thread for now as I've made my portion of feedback. Again, your reply is much appreciated!

darkjordanx likes this.
  2. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    Lol...?

Looting is a fundamental aspect of most games, and I wonder if pet loot (in general) has caused a sort of Game Genie affect (For anyone too young to remember, the Game Genie was used to put cheats into NES games).

What happened was games became too easy- but when played without it they suddenly became too hard when in reality nothing changed. I'd argue the same thing would happen if pet pots were altered in some-way... then again, this only applies to loot from summon kills- which is a fraction (or should be a fraction) of grinding kills- yet the same sort of mentality is forming- I'm sorry if you think that's "rude, offensive, hurtful, or otherwise negative", but IMO it's concerning.

darkjordanx, Kai, Gert and 1 other person like this.
  3. tazan

tazan Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    If I'm actively grinding on maps for event items (snows/stars), it's definitely not a tiny fraction of kills
    I could be at Burnt Land, Pink Teddies, HHG1, Slime Tree, any high spawn/lower level map and phoenix will clear out waves of mobs--it gets more obvious as the map gets more complex

Now the general consensus is: deal with it, grind on smaller, flatter, easier maps and hold z (i.e. play in the simplest robotic manner instead of playing how and where you want)
    This runs counter to your condescending "games are too ez" attitude

4. Evan

Evan Donator

Guild:
    Resignation
    Well... how does it work at regular level places like tot? That's what I've been assuming you meant by grinding- not at HHG1...

That said I would argue a mechanic aimed at helping stop botters shouldn't be shelved because people want to grind at maps 100 levels too low for them.

Also, it's not condescending. Playing an NES game with 30 lives instead of 3 is objectively easier- just like playing maple without ever looting is objectively easier than manually looting.

darkjordanx, Becca and Labour like this.
  5. Josefu

Josefu Donator

After re-reading...

By referring to

This is actually my main concern because as soon as the summon hits a target all of its loot will automatically turns into unlootable state for the pets. This defeats the purpose of summons serving as a supplementary damage output when grinding on higher level mobs and it is even more punishing for MM since they use Frostprey as a mean of crowd controlling.

I've no issue of farming stuffs on low level mobs because I'll definitely use better AOE skills for those instead of relying on summons that hit so slow and hit a tiny AOE. I actually don't use any summons when farming on low level mobs because certain stray kills from summons may screw up the spawn interval and diminished the maximum number of targets for the next AOE skill I use instead.

I believe this is almost the best implementation for the purpose of this thread, with some tweaks on how many percentage of damage should the summon inflict before turning the target's drop into unlootable state by the pets...though the OP may still have some concerns, especially on low level mobs farming.

ifrifri likes this.
  6. TrinityEcho

TrinityEcho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SnipeEcho
    Level:
    Guild:
    Peach
    I am certain you misunderstand the pet loot changes because just 1 hit from a summon does not render all the loot into unlootable state. It is very specifically the monsters that are last hit by the summon that are not lootable. This has already been said multiple times in this thread: summon kills are a mere fraction of the kills that should be happening if you are actually grinding actively.

I train with guildies at OB4 with my MM. Frostprey is an invaluable tool for a MM on the ice-weak mobs there. That’s how I quickly discovered the same issue this thread is trying to resolve. My first impulse was to write a thread just like this. But I just as quickly realized that it caused insignificant delays to my farming pattern. And I was there for close to 2 hours.

I did not know if any global benefits of this change were already happening, but the GM’s seem to say it is working. My opinion is that I am seeing very small deficits in exchange for the overall health of the server.

Buccaneer likes this.
  7. Josefu

Josefu Donator

Well, just change the mechanic of last hit of summons that made drops unlootable to a threshold of damage that the summon must achieves before the drops are turned unlootable then. This completely eliminates the chance that the summon kills the mob on last hit and made the drops unlootable even if it's that one last hit it contributes. Some people might think "well you can just walk back and loot it once in a while" but there are also some people that think "why should I use a pet if I have to walk back to loot eventually?". This implementation pleases both players while still tackling the AFK summon farming scene effectively since those AFK summon farming characters camping on the low level mobs are not going to attack actively at all.

And some people train at other maps. Just because your main training place is OB4 it should not render any other places where the mobs are not immune to ice redundant. There are also MM training at RoR, Skelegons and other places where Frostprey could be proved useful as well. Just because one map is making Frostprey losing its main ability to freeze that excuse alone should not be used to penalise every other maps. Sure, Frostprey may have lost its trademark of being one of the best crowd-control move out there due to the majority of the players resolved to HP washing but there are also players who considered this to make their decision to main an unwashed MM as well. I suggest you to look at a bigger picture and try to consider every type of players out there and think for a possible solution that benefits the most of them while minimising any side effects as well.

8. LichWiz

LichWiz Well-Known Member

IGN:
    IronShichika
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    @Matt i saw you mentioning it before, but to which extent did the botter scene get hurt by it? If you guys managed to actually deeply cripple the botters from this update, i believe that this update did what it setted out to do.
    Though, i expected a far bigger spike in the golden teeth market, considering how unpopular it is to farm golden teeths manually if you are not a cleric. Seeing no big spike means that either botters are still around, botters still have a lot of golden teeth in storage, or a mirace happened and farming golden teeth is no longer asinine.

iSaind and carrot like this.
  9. ifrifri

ifrifri Member

In my opinion, the current situation of "I white the mob but my summon steal the loot ownership by making the last hit" is clearly a bug, which is independent of other implications of summom change and should be fixed ASAP.

Glad to know that the solution we reached in the end is possible.

10. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    New
    Level:
    Guild:
    StarVN
    ohhh Mapleroyals is the world where you have to white your summon, but summon is your skill so summary, you have to white yourself?? wait what ....:confused:

11. iSaind

iSaind Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    iSaind
    Level:
    Guild:
    SaindArmy
    @carrot Thank you Mr.

Yes as he said.@Matt If you allow me to say in the Name of Hardcore Farmers we understand why you implemented it. However it could have had implement another kind of solution or sooner but now its to late
    Matt, now im drifting a bit of the topic. You guys know I never said anything bad and I even in the early times of new source where some ppl been mean to you guys... been always saying @BelieveInRoyals2017. Matt i dont know if you remember but on old source you even wrote a gm message in all chat Congrats xSaind for 3rd job and 2 more chars that day (Beginning of the creation of the Army)... Please just reconsider

@Sof and @Matt. You may see some "bad "words coming from me on some thread. Like they should have or .. dam why not sooner? Please bear in mind. Im upset a bit with this update and a bit dissapointed , but i know you guys do a great job keeping the server running. #BelieveInRoyals2017

A ideia just crossed in my Mind. @Matt I ve saw a suggestion not sure from whom about implementing a Captcha recognize.
    I dont know maybe its a Hard thing to do and probably it will take to introduce it.
    The Best would be to start a compain about donation in that direction, so a programmer can do it. Like a Start-up. Could this be a solution ? Unfortunatly Im not a Programmer expert and all I know is food engineering.

@carrot What do you think is captcha a good Ideia?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  12. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    Gold Tooth farming is actually less affected by this change than stopper farming because 5~6 mule farming method requires the player to watch the screen quite often to manually loot gold tooth that are dropped out of pet's reach and reposition the characters after they are knocked back to a certain distance. Only difference now is that one needs to loot even the ones that are within the diameter of pet's reach. This doesn't require much extra effort.

LichWiz likes this.
  13. Becca

Becca GM

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Becca
    Level:
    Guild:
    Staff
    I've always used my gen over summon farming. It's not just stoppers, there's gold teeth, mithril, leather, etc.
    I'm using stoppers as an example because it's mostly everybody's main source of income, and I had a LOT of problems with people sniping my map when I went to go npc my crap. >:I

I park myself in voodoos, use gen whenever they spawn and my pets go collect. It just requires you to be more persistent instead of afking for 2-3min. Most of us have dual monitors, why not watch youtube/netflix on one and do this at the same time? I play on my Switch and I generally have Netflix running in the background.
    It's not hard to multitask and actually sit at your desk to play your character, as you should with any character in any video game-- actually play them.
    I had a problem with summon farmers because honestly I've always seen it as lazy. All of the maps were full, the second I left to npc my bag and I came back, my map was stolen because "lol you weren't here," and genuine farmers who don't afk much-- if not at all, were getting less reward for the effort they put in.

You do so little for a reward when you afk farm. Old school Maplestory wasn't easy, you had to grind constantly for items. It's EXACTLY what Evan said with the Game Genie Effect, you guys were so used to just afking and letting your summon kill stuff for you, when you have mob skills-- especially mages with their aoe skill, to effectively kill monsters quicker than summon killing. Yet you guys chose to use summon farming because it was easier, and required minimum work.
    I don't see why people are hurt over this nerf. Plus it's super easy to bot while summon farming, you don't see it but the GMs do.
    There's a ton of people who bot and some of them got away with it for a long time.
    How fair is that to make money by literally doing nothing and running a program, while others are actually putting in time to make mesos?

Most people farm on their BMs/MMs/whatever, but honestly any mage class is perfect for this. If you don't have a mage class by now I'd suggest you make one for farming because I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have gen.

Slap on three pets, hit your aoe move every 3-4 seconds, and enjoy.

I really don't see why people are still upset over this. I personally like it, it makes me more interactive with the game whereas before it was just another tab I have to check in on every 3-4min.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    KWJ, NTR and zoeng like this.
  14. HelmetCheck

HelmetCheck Donator

Country Flag:
    Level:
    This. Looking fordward to a solution to the dilemma.

Anyways,

15. zyb1777

zyb1777 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    JoJoDIO
    Level:
    if possible make that?

if a mob kill by summon completely. pet cannot pickup its item
    if a mob kill by chara & summon. pet can pickup its item..