HP Washing

Discussion in 'Closed' started by Mimsy, Jan 6, 2017.

?

Is HP washing a bad game mechanic?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Phibs

Phibs Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Phibs
    Level:
    Mesos help. They make leveling faster, they allow you to buy basic equips. I cant expect a player who has been on the server for a year to understand what its like to play on your vanilla character, with no equips while everyone is running around with billions on billions of mesos. Its just not that fun. Getting 50m a day to someone like yourself might seem like nothing, but its more income than most players can make doing anything you listed above under level 60, especially for a short amount of effort.

I did all the things you mentioned (except farming Heartstoppers, GL finding a map without someone semi-afk farming in it). and I did just fine. However, the sale of AP Resets are still a big portion of my wealth and one of the things that allowed me to play the game the way I and most of other people like to play it! I like to merch. I like to buy and scroll things. You might like playing this game without equips but you can't expect other players to enjoy it the way that you do.

Tsue likes this.
  2. smilinsphere

smilinsphere Donator

IGN:
    LadyLeaf
    Level:
    18x
    Guild:
    [♛] DIVINITY
    I'm definitely in the camp that think's HP washing is a bad mechanic that lower's the overall enjoyment of this game, but as is already been pointed out, there really isn't a "good" way getting rid of it without introducing a whole host of other issues, so unfortunately we're kinda stuck with it on this server. :-/

While the idea of extending the hp quest or something similar has been suggested already in this thread, I think a better idea would be adding a new quest that is similar to the hp quest (i.e. turning in a set of items), but rather, it increases your mp instead of hp. Here's the gist of how the quest would work:
    • The quest is infinitely repeatable
    • You need to be at least 120 or so to start it
    • One of the items in the set you need to turn can only be obtained by buying it directly from an NPC for a fairly large amount of mesos OR just have to give a certain amount of mesos to turn in the quest
    • The amount of each item required increases for each time you complete the quest, but would cap off eventually
    • The amount of MP you gain varies depending on your class (Warriors would gain much less compared to Archers or Thieves)
    By having the quest increase MP rather than HP, it still allows AP resets to be useful and allow newer players to make money through selling them. I also deliberately didn't give any hard numbers for how much MP would be gained or how much it would cost, but the idea is that it would implemented in such a way that traditional washing methods would still be cheaper in the long run for higher hp goals, so in theory, you could reach 30k HP only using this method, but it wouldn't be practical to do so.

I feel with this you'll be a lot less punished in the end if you started with a ranged class and weren't aware of HP washing when making this character. As other's have pointed out in this thread, the problem with HP washing currently isn't the fact that it's expensive or difficult to do, but moreso the fact that it requires you to raise certain classes in a really obtuse and unfun manner. Overall, just open up more options raise your character more freely, rather than feeling restricted by a flawed meta.

idk those are my thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree or add to it or whatever :)

3. Kozi

Kozi Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Kozi
    Level:
    Guild:
    Cozy
    I read the forums and learned about it when I started this (my first) character and I don't think I missed out on anything. I think the bigger problem is how everyone starts out pure stats and wears a robe at lower levels. I remember playing BBB and looking forward to searing that cool new helmet or overall but it seems like if you do that here you're missing out on a lot of damage later on. At least there's cash shop.

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Mimsy
    Gotta say I really like this one. Eliminates the "ap resets will be obsolete" problem many have addressed here.

I think I should highlight in the post the possible solutions suggested here just to make it easier to get into :)

5. Halkye

Halkye Well-Known Member

Yeah, this one is very good. It also creates a little bit of economy for the items that will be needed for the quest :)

6. ananaskungen

ananaskungen Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Zakdoritos
    Level:
    Guild:
    Mystic
    The thing with me was I had a lvl 120 NL when I first started back in 2016 and now that character is stuck because I didn't hp wash it.. Basically I got introduced to HP washing once the character reached a high level and alot of time went into it, but I decided to make a Bishop and now I didn't only have to work my ass off to get average bishop equipment now I have to work my ass off to get 8-10b to wash my next character which is time consuming. As a bishop I can make around 1b a day but that'll kill me on the inside and I honestly don't like HP washing but to do Horntail and have some type of "a cool status" and be more accepted to the community, to survive you really have to HP wash otherwise you won't really make it.. I hope they remove it. I've never been a big fan of it and It's hell if you are this new player and you get introduced to HP washing at lvl 120 like I did and now that character is completely useless to me...

7. Halkye

Halkye Well-Known Member

Just now starting a character that needs to wash and it is sooo dumb, all this time planning beforehand so you can, after a very long time, only have fun playing it after you hit your hp goal :(

8. JacobSCA

JacobSCA Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Skirch
    Level:
    Gotta love literally not playing your character for a good hundred-ish levels so that you're actually capable of doing certain end game content.

9. tomatodee

tomatodee Donator

Reviving this thread because it's crucial that the staff pushes this up to their to-do list. No staff has responded to this thread even though we've had months of discussion in this thread with some good suggestions and over 10 pages of responses!!

To add my two cents, like everyone said, HP washing has been overexploited and have ruined the game experience especially for newbies. Anyone playing this game knows eventually that if they want to boss seriously, they need to get enough HP (and decent equips). It is a very tough road. Imagine just voting and not being able to play your char for months. Lmao.

Mimsy, smilinsphere and NTR like this.
  10. Stan

Stan Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SgtYellow
    Level:
    15x
    Guild:
    Nipple
    I really like this suggestion and hope staff can have a discussion about it (and the rest of the thread) and maybe give us their opinions on it

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Mimsy
    I sent numerous private message to some of the staff and even Matt himself, Nothing.
    Seems like this issue is completely ignored.
    I mean come on, we at least deserve an explanation.

12. LichWiz

LichWiz Well-Known Member

IGN:
    IronShichika
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    "Numerous private messages"
    Please don't harrass the staff >.>

13. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Forum Moderator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CygnusQueen
    Level:
    Guild:
    WorldTour
    The Staff doesn't ignore this issue, just that this issue has divided opinions
    If they ignore the HP requirement issue, they won't bother to add quests for additional HP

Example of different opinions - using Hyper Body at Horntail

Hamburg likes this.
  14. Hwaiting

Hwaiting Donator

Your idea is great and deserves it's own thread tbh. I think this MP quest system would do a lot for those that feel alienated by high level characters that cannot wash, yet would not invalidate the efforts of people that have already washed.

Johnny likes this.
  15. TN Laxus

TN Laxus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DonAugur
    Level:
    Guild:
    Harbor
    Dude the main problem with this is that you cannot play as the job you want until you are lvl 150. No exageration, 150. This is completely stupid. MapleRoyals should be the server that takes old ms and keeps improving it but the right way. We do not have to follow the old ways, we should take the masterpiece they were making and finish it.

16. TopKEK

TopKEK Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Volatility
    Guild:
    Cloudy
    150? What are you talking about? Unless you are making a 30k hp 30k mp NL for meme purposes only, what you said makes no sense at all. I don’t know one person who is still washing/buying leech at lvl 150

I have played my NL at 130 already and it’s 30k capable with a tons of extra mp afterwards, everyone told me I overkilled it with int/mp wash

That means if you just wanna wash to an average HP like 10-12k you can play at 9x already assuming you mp wash and do everything correctly

And that’s with NLs, with other classes like warrior or bucc or even shad to some point you can play all the way since lvl 0

17. Tect

Tect Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DTect
    Level:
    Guild:
    Manon
    im still washing n leeching :'( sometimes do pap tho Maple0073.jpg

18. JacobSCA

JacobSCA Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Skirch
    Level:
    I'm level 160 and I have to start washing again because they released content that requires 27k hp to survive.

19. lolo123

lolo123 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Lolologic123
  20. TopKEK

TopKEK Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Volatility
    Guild:
    Cloudy
    With base int and stuff, or just moving mp to hp? Because if it’s the second, almost everyone except RWTs/extremely lucky/hardcore/dedicated players is technically “still washing”. We do play our chars, however.

Tect likes this.