Content Level 160+ grinding spots

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Wonderstruck, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck Donator

Hello everyone, I have been wanting to write this for a year now but I thought we’d let devs work on the library first ~f2

Jokes aside, I would like royals to have some casual maps for 160+ players.

Most of us will be nearing or are at our 30s. We will have less time for games. Royals have great party places, LHC, ellin(PQ), zakum, HT, the newly released Von Leon, etc. These places are insanely fun and active but require some time commitment. Perhaps we could venture into retaining our even more casual players (or soon to be).

Thus, my suggestion is to introduce a new area with regular high level mobs, and no time restrictions. Wanna play 5h today, sure. Wanna play 10 minutes today, no problem. As far as I am aware, the closest area similar to my suggestion is neo tokyo, LHC has too many special features and restrictions to consider casual. And the highest level regular mob is 144(?). The grinding experience falls short after level 160+ at neo tokyo, the exp starts to dwindle and kinda insignificant 180+.

The idea for casual maps also allow more players to make connections, people will come and go, parties will expand, contract but still carry on. As I understand spawn in royals is affected by number of characters in the map, so the entire map exp can be balanced for the number of players in the map. Most game modes would cause a party to disband when one or two player leaves. This would limit the party play and connections formed.

As far as leech/mages being superior in such places, I would leave the Devs to decide how it can be balanced. Strong to all elements except lightning is fine (but not recommended), perhaps a flat wide map wouldn’t be too optimal for mages as well. Passing a boss to enter the map sound alright as well. On that note, my suggestion shall also include maps of several variants.

1. Several flat platforms with medium spawn. These maps shall be similar to ToT, where any class is suited for.
    2. Messy terrain and platforms with high spawn. These maps shall be similar to ellin and mysterious path 3. Parties with more members may prefer such maps to benefit from high spawn and not needing to move around so much. Still some teleports should be available for smaller parties (like tree rods in ellin).
    3. Long flat platforms with medium-low spawns. These maps shall be similar to gatekeeper/thanatos/dreamy ghost(himes). I know the spawns vary, but the map concept could be similar. High level with medium-low spawn. These are partially for casual NLs who likes to grind during their free time.
    4. Medium to small sized maps for smaller parties. These small maps cater to party of 1 or 2, where players can decide to move to a better higher spawn map when they meet more people along the way.

The areas do not need to be overpowered, EXP can be adjusted for less than LHC or HT, or just scaled up from regular lower levelled mobs. The IDEA is not an optimal grind spot, but a place for friends to play, come and go, mix around, ks war(jk), at the same time a decent exp and meso gain for spending the time playing.

What we can hope or forsee?
    Players will go there to grind, and form parties, when there are enough people, these players can then decide to head to the party quests or bosses. There is no shame to leave out some due to party composition requirements in some bosses, as there are dedicated maps for the left out to continue their grind, as they intended to when they entered the place alone.

You guys may suggest on locations or themes, I decided to write this cause of the mushroom kingdom post. Off my head I remember kerning city mall, edelstein, future henesys? We could use ideas from https://www.hidden-street.net/gms/maps. Honestly memories from maple is so convoluted now. In any case please suggest!! Or criticise is fine as well!

I understand some things need to be balanced because people will bring 6 mages and farm. I do not have answers for that but I plead the balance to be for everyone, do not simply nerf mage there because the majority of people are genuine and not abuse the system. Please create a space for casual players which most of us are or will be ~f14

P.S. Library first!

P.P.S. With the introduction of face eye ring scrolls, can we remove defense scrolls already :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    StarSaber, moredag, MaiAh and 17 others like this.
  2. ICantDecideMyName

ICantDecideMyName Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Yes I would like the additional of new maps like kerning city mall and future henesys! Played those maps intensely in GMS ~f15

Wonderstruck likes this.
  3. LichWiz

LichWiz Well-Known Member

IGN:
    IronShichika
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    +1 to that
    As an Ironman, I experimented quite a lot with grinding on a high lvl character, and the options aren't really all that great. Because of my damage, i find myself walking more than I'm attacking while grinding, which is a sign of overpowering the grinding spot. I'd love to see new casual endgame grind maps as well 0:)

MaiAh, icedem0n and Wonderstruck like this.
  4. ApricotHeart

ApricotHeart Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Not to be a party pooper, but edelstein and future henesys was never part of old school maplestory, those came in a lot higher versions of classic MS in a year 2010+ after big bang patch ( which ruined maplestory and which is the reason we are in this exact private server ).

Wonderstruck likes this.
  5. snowday

snowday Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    snowday
    Level:
    Guild:
    Winter
    Definitely for this! As I've reached higher levels, I really miss killing mobs and getting RNG drops, even if to just zone out for a little bit.

I think the tricky part might be balancing this with LHC, since that EXP is crazy good already and they had to limit it to 1h/day.

Wonderstruck likes this.
  6. Kung

Kung Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Schnegge
    I think the server would really benefit from such a thing, if its well implemented. Great post as well, OP, it clearly shows how the concern is about a "living" community.

Maybe, if anyway something would be implemented and tested, instead of copying a Post Big Bang setting from Maple, devs could actually take a new direction. Create a royals specific region with unique 160+ mobs, all royals exclusive :D

Edit: Maybe even hand off some parts to the community. Make it a contest. Let the community come up with new and unique map and mob designs and an exciting story. How cool would that be! And less work for devs as well :D

Do not know how much more work it would be to create completely new maps instead of copying content, but if it was not completely out of range here, I think it would be worth a thought.

Obviously any implementation of this reads like "yea soon, but first ...", but its good to think into the future and to think about what will happen to the community.

BassControl, MaiAh, PakChoi and 2 others like this.
  7. Herres

Herres Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Herres
    Level:
    I had an idea for such maps for quiet a while so I'm gonna use this thread to present it :)

After completing the ToT questline it is possible to enter the portal at the end of the "Road of Oblivion 5" map which leads to some empty corridor maps that eventually lead to Pink Bean. According to bbb Hidden Street, there are two empty corridor maps that are called "Deep Place of Temple: Broken Corridor" and "Deep Place of Temple: Temple Ruins".

My idea is to do a complete make over to these empty corridor maps and make them similar to the other ToT maps, or in other words turn them into big maps full of mobs; and not only that but to extend the ToT questline to these map and introduce two additional "kill 999" style quests that would be needed to be completed before entering Pink Bean.

In my vision the new mobs would be stronger versions of the Chief Guardians monsters (Currently the Chief Oblivion Guardian is the strongest) and would be challenging to kill but suited for a solo play (unlike the LHC mobs for example).
    Some examples for how mobs can look like:
    guardians.png

Not to mention that the corridor maps design is very cool and would even look cooler in a bigger map scale :)

8. Kung

Kung Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Schnegge
    sounds pretty dope and easy to implement as well.

However as far as I understood, the mask quest is the gatekeeper to be able to enter these corridor maps? (have not completed it)

In that case maybe it would be enough to have a repeatable "kill 999" quest like every week that gives some significant xp and maybe some chance for a good item as well?

Cause it feels like that mask quest is already extremely long as it is, so somehow sounds cruel to have that community high lvl grinding area locked away, as the intent was to have some sort of a lovely space for people to meet and grind?

JuliusOmega and Wonderstruck like this.
  9. Herres

Herres Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Herres
    Level:
    You're right, the last quest in the questline is the terrible mask quest that upon completion grants you the "Marble of Chaos" needed to enter the portal.
    I want to believe that this quest would be changed when PB would be close to release to something way more decent and accessible because as it is now it's extremely hard to complete (not to mention that you lose that marble every time you enter that portal which is absurd by itself).

Wonderstruck likes this.
  10. austintoh95

austintoh95 Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SquishYou
    I agree. When higher levels is only to boss and end story.

11. LichWiz

IGN:
    IronShichika
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    thats kinda nothing compared to von leon's prequest, and some people finished tot's quest line ahead of time already.

12. JuliusOmega

JuliusOmega Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    OmegaArrows
    Level:
    Guild:
    Create
    Some time ago I had good changes, I don't know how the community will respond, but I have seen many people already reached lvl 200 so many times that they have one of each class, I think that the issue of raising the lvl cap should be addressed and likewise give a new touch to the game as custom content maybe!
    1)New custom maps
    2)lvl cap increase 200+ or unlimited
    3)x1 exp/2 drop/2x mesos (obviously after lvl 200)
    4)New Mini Bosess !
    Add that + the possibly new areas, we could have a door to new stories and more challenges, only for you it would sound very exhausting and tiring because it is a lot of work, as well as the expert in map editing Becca who was great her retouching in Orbis and others areas (finely polished) and in the rest of the staff who have too many pending tasks!

Note ! I have played on many servers and only this one meets 70% of my expectations!

13. Kung

Kung Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Schnegge
    It is not about the boss requirement here and does not matter what other bosses require, it is about the OP's original suggestion, that it would be nice to have an high-Lvl grinding spot to make the game more lively.
    If the prequest is like it is now, I think it is not feasable since it just takes way too long to do that quest to match the intention here (even if some people already completed), cause it was about having a space that is non elitist yet high lvl!
    - if they change it to make it shorter and easier accessible, then @Herres suggestion seems pretty cool and doable to me.

14. LichWiz

IGN:
    IronShichika
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    i mean, it shouldn't work like it does now (orb wasted on entry, that'll be silly), but i think its not completely unreasonable to need to do the 10 masks quest once in order to have permanent access to this high end grind map.

tho, if we consider OP's intention, where this area needs to be casual and accessible, then maybe increasing mask droprate is necessary.

15. Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck Donator

Thanks y’all for the support!! Keep the suggestions coming:tobenawoo:

16. Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck Donator

An idea for not overpowering mages while allowing for thematic elemental weaknesses is to have two long platforms where the bottom cant hit the top and vice versa, similar to ulu estate 2, but further apart, and perhaps longer. A teleport can help so that climbing the rope wouldn’t be too far. Either that or it could be a great map for party of 2’s.

9 years in and we lack regular 144+ training mobs! We can consider looking into this for next update.

Devs/GM do share your concerns early so that the community can provide their suggestions or feedback. No need to do implementation (which takes time and effort) and receive backlash… we didnt forget about thief’s avoid nerf, soul arrow and others ya^_^' End up your efforts are not appreciated and people just “make do” with the changes. Not all updates need to be a surprise, at least we have something to look forward too as well.

Library first! :VLparchment:

17. Kung

Kung Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Schnegge
    I think you made a type and meant "... can't hit the top and vice versa" instead of "... can ...". Otherwise, would this not be equivalent of overpowering mages by exactly this?

I always wonder why there is "no one" training at NT Mavericks, every time I am there. Cause the map is actually decent for duo, especially considering royals party xp reward system (did duo with a Dark knight ages ago on my BM) ..

18. xDarkomantis

xDarkomantis Well-Known Member

Guild:
    Akatsuki
    Tedious questline (looking at you Park PQ and droprates for the etc) and awkward platforming on the map. I'm pretty sure someone suggested fixing the map for general grinding in the Map Fix thread but it seems like it either got ignored or put on the backburner: https://royals.ms/forum/threads/general-map-fixing-thread.194761/#post-1214290

19. Zancks

Zancks Game Balancer

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Zancks
    Level:
    Guild:
    Olympia
    I asked the devs to take a look again.

xDarkomantis likes this.
  20. Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck Donator

Hmm I put cant cause that would mean the mage cannot full map hit. But we should allow like fire or ice or holy weakness to match the place thematically. Entire of NT resist those elements.